Oct 1 - 100 Year of Magic Press Days Cancelled

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
www.wdwmagic.com/whatsnew.htm

UPDATE: The 100 Years of Magic press event that was supposed to take place on Oct 1-3 2001 has been posponed until Dec. 3rd 2001. They are still deciding if they are going to start the other parts of the celebration on Oct. 1st 2001.

JAY-ROD

Originally posted by wdwmagic

UPDATE: The 100 Years of Magic press event that was supposed to take place on Oct 1-3 2001 has been posponed until Dec. 3rd 2001. They are still deciding if they are going to start the other parts of the celebration on Oct. 1st 2001.

Dang that is some surprising news steve. Thanks for the update

mightyduck

Wow... Steve, I'm thinking they are postponing because they are worried people won't come sooner--too afraid to fly. But it seems to me that it will be unfair to those who scheduled vacations in October and November to take part in the celebration.

Your thoughts?

As someone who still plans on being in WDW at the end of November, I will be disappointed if the 100 years of magic is not going on. Not to say that I wouldn't see it since we have already tenatively planned to go Nov 2002.

So long as ROE and Fantasmic are still put on I will be happy. The wife and I go for the rides, restaurants, and relaxation that WDW provides and not necessarily for the celebrations. I would much rather travel for a new ride(read Mission: Space) than a "celebration". The parades for us (with exception of Tapesty) are generally things we don't see. As D.I.N.K.s we avoid many of the parades and just head back to the hotel to rest so we can hit the parks again at 4:00 rested and ready to go.

On a different note, we will probably spend the same amount of time in the airports as we did last year. Of course last year had a 4 hour delay thanks to the weather on our way home.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Re: Re: Oct 1 - 100 Year of Magic Press Days Cancelled

Originally posted by mightyduck

Wow... Steve, I'm thinking they are postponing because they are worried people won't come sooner--too afraid to fly. But it seems to me that it will be unfair to those who scheduled vacations in October and November to take part in the celebration.

Your thoughts?

I have further info that is saying the 100th will carry on as planned from Oct1. BUT, there will be no big opening Press days as was originally planned. Its my guess that it is out of respect for the current situation. As soon as I hear more I will let you know.

Kevin

Thanks for the info. I would assume they would still have the parades start for the benefit of those that have already planned trips?

prberk

October 1

I completely understand, and I realize that in light of the current tragedy, celebrations and fireworks at Walt Disney World are the last thing on travelers' minds. In fact, I wonder if the fireworks displays at MK are in patriotic mode.

I had planned to come to WDW for the weekend of Sept 29 - Oct. 2, so that I could see some of the goings-on. Do you know if, since the press junket is cancelled, that Regis is also on hold (for Millionaire and the Live with Regis and Kelly show)? Or other opening ceremonies, such as the celebrity motorcade or appearances by Walt's family or company execs.? It would seem like now would not be a good time to gather celebrities in one place or call attention to them while things are still uncertain in America.

Also, does anyone actually know if the Walt: the Man Behind the Myth scheduled for this Sunday on Wonderful World (on ABC) has been rescheduled? The Web site for it still shows it, but the ABC web site says that the premiere date of Wonderfuld World itself has been moved to Sept. 30.

Again, I know that most of these questions are totally irrelevant in light of the things in New York and Washington, but I just wondered.

mickeyears

My DH called a CM named John at WDW General Info phone number and John stated that this was a rumor. He said everything is still on as planned.
I know that in this time of horror from the terrorism this week that its hard to think about WDW. This little glimmer of our vacation coming up in mid Oct gives our children hope of the future to come and the normalization that we are trying to provide for them. We can only hope that everything at WDW can go on as planned. Our HOPE for our country and government continues.

mightyduck

I was planning on going back in November, except for this whole not-having-a-job thing :rolleyes:. But I was there on two separate vacations this summer, and I was going in November to enjoy the new celebration while the parks would be relatively uncrowded....

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi Mickeyears,

Remeber, I am only saying that the PRESS EVENTS wont take place. At this time the celebration is still going to take place as planned. So this will not effect you in anyway, unless you are a member of the press who was hoping for a nice private party in the parks. :)

As always, things can still change at any time.

Originally posted by mickeyears
My DH called a CM named John at WDW General Info phone number and John stated that this was a rumor. He said everything is still on as planned.
I know that in this time of horror from the terrorism this week that its hard to think about WDW. This little glimmer of our vacation coming up in mid Oct gives our children hope of the future to come and the normalization that we are trying to provide for them. We can only hope that everything at WDW can go on as planned. Our HOPE for our country and government continues.

mickeyears

Hi Mickeyears,

Remeber, I am only saying that the PRESS EVENTS wont take place. At this time the celebration is still going to take place as planned. So this will not effect you in anyway, unless you are a member of the press who was hoping for a nice private party in the parks. :)

As always, things can still change at any time.

No, cancelling the PRESS EVENTS won't change anything for my family. We are just hoping for the 100 Yr. Celebration to continue on as planned but realize things can change at any time. We are hopeful. We are greatful for your updates Steve. Thanks.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Are you sure that the press event is cancelled? I just spoke to MK Special Events and they said that its still going on.

DisMemory

Hi Rob B.
Yes the press event is definitely cancelled. Whoever you got your information from is completely wrong. At the moment the 100yrs of magic events are still intact.

prberk

Which press events cancelled?

As I asked above, does anyone know if any opening ceremonies, etc., will be held? Also, can you confirm Regis' not being there? The Millionaire web site still says it will be happening?

An how can I add a picture to my postings?

Goofster

hey, anybody think maybe now they will publicize the first few weeks (oct to dec) as being the 30th Anniversary?? I mean, it'd make sense I guess. They hold off on calling it the 100yrs of magic and say It's WDW's 30th, and then once December rolls around, 100yrs of magic time! What do you think? Any chance? Probably not.

Kevin

Goofster -
My guess is your out of luck. I think the reason it was postponned is because they don't want to make a big deal about any 'celebrations' at this time. The reason for the celebration is not why it is being postponned.

Goofster

Originally posted by Kevin
Goofster -
My guess is your out of luck. I think the reason it was postponned is because they don't want to make a big deal about any 'celebrations' at this time. The reason for the celebration is not why it is being postponned.

Well, no, I don't mean that they postponed it so they could have a 30th, Im just saying now that they did, maybe they should just say it's the 30th anniversary for the ppl that are more excited about that. But, then again, your probably right, celebrations right now are probably not a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom