Oakley Sunglasses in Disney World

Greg Eng

Original Poster
I will be heading down to Disney in 10 days. I'd like to buy a new pair of Oakley sunglasses. Does anyone have any recommendations of where I could purchase a pair. And yes, I do have the park hopper option. Thanks in advance!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
BTW, APEX by Sunglass Hut at Downtown Disney is the one that specializes in sports optics, so although they all sell Oakley, that particular shop might be your best bet.

yedliW

Are the prices at the Oakley stores at Disney comprable to the sunglass hut at your local mall? Might be better off picking up a pair before you go to avoid any possible Disney premium..

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Are the prices at the Oakley stores at Disney comprable to the sunglass hut at your local mall? Might be better off picking up a pair before you go to avoid any possible Disney premium..
I am not sure about other brands, but Oakley's tend to have the same price no matter where you get them save for clearance situations.

I picked up a pair a number of years ago when they sold them at Test Track and they were the exact same price as at the Sunglasses Hut in my local mall.

DisneyJunkie

I'd think twice before buying an expensive item like Oakley sunglasses on Disney property. It's not a stretch to say that the prices for them there will be much higher than places like your local mall or even some outlet.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We actually did a price comparison when we did our review of Island Supply at the Magic Kingdom. The pricing is identical to the other locations in the area, such as at Mall at Millenia, and also the same as Sunglass Hut online.

yedliW

We actually did a price comparison when we did our review of Island Supply at the Magic Kingdom. The pricing is identical to the other locations in the area, such as at Mall at Millenia, and also the same as Sunglass Hut online.

Unless there are Disney exclusive styles, personally, I would still get a pair before the trip. Do you want to spend park time trying on glasses?

I know everyone has different priorities, but when I travel, be it for work or personal, I don't like to do things on the road that I can do at home.. but that's just me..

enjoy your trip!

kylewiehe

I bought a pair a few months ago at Curl By Sammy Duval at DTD, they were not marked up, I checked Oakley's website, and they were right at the MSRP. They had a huge selection too!

WDW Monorail

I am not sure about other brands, but Oakley's tend to have the same price no matter where you get them save for clearance situations.

I picked up a pair a number of years ago when they sold them at Test Track and they were the exact same price as at the Sunglasses Hut in my local mall.

That's nice because I bought a pair of white Oakley Oil Rigs online and the Oakley store in my mall charged almost $40 more for them.

I ended up losing those glasses when they fell out of my pocket on Expedition Everest last Fall. I went online and bought the same pair a couple days later.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I dunno why people would wear expensive shades to the parks. My $15 sunglasses keep the same amount of sun out of my eyes, without running the risk (which, in my case, is very high) of losing or destroying a major financial investment.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I dunno why people would wear expensive shades to the parks. My $15 sunglasses keep the same amount of sun out of my eyes, without running the risk (which, in my case, is very high) of losing or destroying a major financial investment.
Why wouldn't' you take them to the parks? The chances of you loosing or breaking them is pretty much the same wherever you go. Considering that you will spend quite a bit of time outside at a park I would much rather go with what fits, feels and performs better.

About the only place I would not wear the good sunglasses is when I am on the water with a paddle where there is a good chance that I will be hitting said water at some time.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Why wouldn't' you take them to the parks? The chances of you loosing or breaking them is pretty much the same wherever you go. Considering that you will spend quite a bit of time outside at a park I would much rather go with what fits, feels and performs better.

About the only place I would not wear the good sunglasses is when I am on the water with a paddle where there is a good chance that I will be hitting said water at some time.
I just know that, working attractions, I heard more people complain that the attraction ate their Oakleys than I care to remember. I've just never understood designer stuff when there's cheaper stuff that functions just as well or better.

Last edited:

R W B

Pretty sure Oakleys have a set MSRP and that's what you have to sell them at. I know that's how a decent number of name brand items work.

I just know that, working attractions, I heard more people complain that the attraction ate their Oakleys than I cafe to remember. I've just never understood designer stuff when there's cheaper stuff that functions as well or better.
To be honest, I use to think the same exact thing until I actually bought a pair of "designer" sunglasses and trust me, theirs a huge difference. I use to only buy $20 polarized glasses from Academy Sports because I would lose them or break them often. Well then I decided to try an expensive pair again a few years ago and have never looked back. Although that $20 pair says their polarized, if that's true at all it's no where near to the level of my Maui Jims. I actually keep a pair of cheap glasses in my truck just in case I forgot my nice ones and theirs a huge difference. I wouldn't want to go to the parks without the expensive pair.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just know that, working attractions, I heard more people complain that the attraction ate their Oakleys than I cafe to remember. I've just never understood designer stuff when there's cheaper stuff that functions as well or better.
The thing is, the cheaper stuff tends to be cheaper for a reason. I have gotten lucky on a few occasions and found a decent workable pair of $15 sunglasses, but most just don't fit right, the weight is off, the build quality just isn't there, etc.

It is kind of like comparing a $20 Black and Decker drill to a $200 Bosch. They both have a motor that spins and can accomplish the same thing, but the good drill will have more power, better ergonomics, etc.

As far as losing them, well some people are just careless and should not buy expensive ones. I treat my cheep sunglasses and my expensive ones like expensive ones. My wife on the other hand treated her $180 Maui Jims like they cost $5 which is why she no longer buys expensive sunglasses.

yedliW

I used to be the same way as well.. I always wanted a pair of Oakleys, but didn't want to spend $200+ on a pair of shades.. then a friend of mine got a job as a manager at a sunglass hut, she let me use her employee discount and I bought a pair at 30% off retail, and have only worn Oakleys since.. (I have since moved, so that first pair was the only pair I got at discount.. and now that they are owned by the same company that owns Lens Crafters, my regular glasses are Oakleys as well..

There really is a difference between Oakley and the cheaper brands. I never would have really believed it until I had my own pair.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom