• I honestly don't like either of the two

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • I haven't experienced either of the two

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I have only experienced one of the two, so I cannot judge

Votes: 3 5.1%

• Total voters

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I'm just curious... Of these two hardly ever mentioned attractions in Walt Disney World.. Which of these two do you personally believe is better?

The reason I'm comparing these two together is mainly the fact that they are both circle-vision films that are explaining the history and cultures of Canada and China, so almost the same concept.

The difference: O' Canada's host is Martin Short. Making the film a little less, quote on quote, "boring" with a tad bit of humor and less of a typical historical narrator. Making the film (in my opinion) a bit more entertaining to watch. By all means, even if the humor doesn't really get to you or others in the theatre, at least he isn't monotone throughout the entire film. He makes the film more enjoyable and modern, to me.

Reflections of China is basically the same thing, but without a celebrity from their country as the narrator. (That I am aware of). Making the film solely focusing on the educational point of view on China rather than the modern "edutainment" point of view. Heck, even the monotone narrator that opens O' Canada tells Martin Short that he may relocate to France* where they appreciate his style. Which I find hilarious.

People usually start their trip around the World Showcase starting from Mexico, which is a bummer. Because by the time they get to Canada the guests are tired and exhausted, making the O' Canada film not really enjoyable, giving the fact that you have to stand.

Now I have nothing against Reflections of China. I just prefer the updated style they use in O' Canada. What are y'alls opinions on this topic?

Last edited:

VonSteuben

I couldn't disagree with you more. The original O Canada was excellent, the Mounties, Bluenose, Fundy Bay (or something like that). I loved that. Now it's awful. I suffer through it more to remind myself of the much superior film once shown there. Martin Short's humor is dreadful. A slapstick routine that's just painfully cheesy.

Reflections of China on the other hand is a masterpiece in my opinion. I know it's an uncommon opinion, but I think it's even better than the France movie. The cinematography and musical score are excellent. I'm a geography teacher and in my view it gives a much better glimpse of the culture, people, and landscapes of the country than OCanada currently does.

Just as a side note, the narrator in OCanada references the France movie, not China.

nelsonj3

I couldn't disagree with you more. The original O Canada was excellent, the Mounties, Bluenose, Fundy Bay (or something like that). I loved that. Now it's awful. I suffer through it more to remind myself of the much superior film once shown there. Martin Short's humor is dreadful. A slapstick routine that's just painfully cheesy.

Reflections of China on the other hand is a masterpiece in my opinion. I know it's an uncommon opinion, but I think it's even better than the France movie. The cinematography and musical score are excellent. I'm a geography teacher and in my view it gives a much better glimpse of the culture, people, and landscapes of the country than OCanada currently does.

Just as a side note, the narrator in OCanada references the France movie, not China.

Totally agree! I love the score in the original O'Canada Movie. It's absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the music in the Canadian Rockies scenes. If you haven't seen my YouTube Video of it, I was lucky enough to be allowed to record the audio of the film without any guests present in the theater. :)

castlecake2.0

I do miss the score from the original O' Canada!, but I do love the preshow music that plays between the shows now in the theatre. Reflections of China is wonderful as well! Very hard choice to make, but O' Canada! will always be very special to me. Now lean back, relax, youre about to be surrounded by the beauty and grandeur of my homeland of Canada...

Retroman40

I like them both - particularly the scene in Reflections of China when you are heading down the Yangtze River - and they are both worth seeing. As far as Martin Short's narration; most Canadians I have met have a pretty good sense of humor about the "Great White North" jokes (they could have gotten Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas to narrate from the "Strange Brew" set right?) while at the same time loving their country and Short reflects this well in his commentary. It's clear he loves his native country and is proud of all of Canada.

I've only been a tourist in Canada and I'd be interested how real Canadians see the show.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm just curious... Of these two hardly ever mentioned attractions in Walt Disney World.. Which of these two do you personally believe is better?

Reflections of China is basically the same thing, but without a celebrity from their country as the narrator. (That I am aware of).

Umm yes you're mistaken. Keye Luke (陸錫麟 or Luk Shek Lun) portrays Li Bai in the film as he was born in Caton China, but grew up in Seatle, WA. He payed as the original KAto in the Green Hornet, Number one Son in the Chalie Chan Mysteries, Brak in Space Ghost, Mast Po in the TV series Kung Fu and lots more.

Martin Shirt had a short career, Keye Luke over 60 years.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
Umm yes you're mistaken. Keye Luke (陸錫麟 or Luk Shek Lun) portrays Li Bai in the film as he was born in Caton China, but grew up in Seatle, WA. He payed as the original KAto in the Green Hornet, Number one Son in the Chalie Chan Mysteries, Brak in Space Ghost, Mast Po in the TV series Kung Fu and lots more.

Martin Shirt had a short career, Keye Luke over 60 years.
Well. The more you know!!

You're mistaken on Martin Short's "short career," though. He is still active in both film and television. Heck, he recently just played a part in a broadway show revival titled "It's Only a Play," that ended last June. Short is very much alive in entertainment, still.

OvertheHorizon

If I'm not mistaken, both 360 degree films were shortened from their original versions. Either to accommodate more frequent showings, or perhaps because attention spans have decreased. I like them both. Prefer original Canada, but now China has the edge.

Lucky

If I'm not mistaken, both 360 degree films were shortened from their original versions. Either to accommodate more frequent showings, or perhaps because attention spans have decreased. I like them both. Prefer original Canada, but now China has the edge.
Why do you say attention spans hav

dizfan917

every time I think of Reflections of China, all I can hear is "the great YANG-TSEE RIVER" and that dramatic music!! I enjoy them both.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom