Now that Star Wars is taking off, what's next?

SpoiledBlueMilk

Original Poster
Put this in the full rumor category:

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but now that we know Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is going to be a massive investment taking shape (not to mention TSL, the Mickey ride, etc...) coming to DHS, the real question is what the next stage will be.

Star Wars IX is going to start production soon, which will mark the final film in the new trilogy. Notwithstanding the few stand alone films still on the slate, the total universe of new cinematic SW content is drawing to a close. I seriously think LFL will require a few years before starting the next trilogy - if that is even their plan.

So what is next? The one property Disney has yet to cash in on is the Indiana Jones IP. While the next IJ movie is in pre-production, the film won't be out for a while. Should be enough time to start planning out the next great expansion - maybe not an entire land, but an expansion zone within DHS that is themed to the IJ universe. They already have the stunt-show. It wouldn't take much to add in a few new rides and shops to make something more cohesive.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Three things:

1 - 9 in Roman numerals is IX

2 - Standalone Star Wars films are planned through 2025. Just because they haven't announced anything yet doesn't mean they aren't coming.

3 - Regarding the future of Indiana Jones movies: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/frank-marshall-promises-no-one-else-will-play-075329111.html - obviously this could always change, but it limits expansion if they want to capitalize on 'new' things being introduced with a land or new attraction. The easiest solution to more Indy is to bring over a version of IJA, maybe with a new story, and call it a day.

However, after SWGE, TSL, and M&M, obviously Epcot is becoming the focus of construction and renovation for a while. They basically gave us the major items roadmap for the next four years, so anything else is going to be quite a ways off.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Original Poster
Three things:

1 - 9 in Roman numerals is IX

2 - Standalone Star Wars films are planned through 2025. Just because they haven't announced anything yet doesn't mean they aren't coming.

3 - Regarding the future of Indiana Jones movies: https://www.yahoo.com/movies/frank-marshall-promises-no-one-else-will-play-075329111.html - obviously this could always change, but it limits expansion if they want to capitalize on 'new' things being introduced with a land or new attraction. The easiest solution to more Indy is to bring over a version of IJA, maybe with a new story, and call it a day.

However, after SWGE, TSL, and M&M, obviously Epcot is becoming the focus of construction and renovation for a while. They basically gave us the major items roadmap for the next four years, so anything else is going to be quite a ways off.
Haven't had my coffee yet. Sorry about the numeral error (edited to fix)

Even if they just ported over IJA with a new story, I'd be happy. I do think there is enough nostalgia for the first three IJ movies to sustain at least some additional theming beyond a ride.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Not to get ahead of ourselves, but now that we know Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge is going to be a massive investment taking shape (not to mention TSL, the Mickey ride, etc...) coming to DHS, the real question is what the next stage will be.

Star Wars IX is going to start production soon, which will mark the final film in the new trilogy. Notwithstanding the few stand alone films still on the slate, the total universe of new cinematic SW content is drawing to a close. I seriously think LFL will require a few years before starting the next trilogy - if that is even their plan.

So what is next? The one property Disney has yet to cash in on is the Indiana Jones IP. While the next IJ movie is in pre-production, the film won't be out for a while. Should be enough time to start planning out the next great expansion - maybe not an entire land, but an expansion zone within DHS that is themed to the IJ universe. They already have the stunt-show. It wouldn't take much to add in a few new rides and shops to make something more cohesive.

Thoughts?

I don't see the cinematic SW "drawing to a close", I think this is just the beginning.

SES1990

Hey long time reader, first time poster here. I think it's awesome that we knew about all of the E tickets announced Saturday many months ago thanks to the great insiders here on this site.

I was surprised to hear Bob Chapek say that TRON is the highest rated attraction in Shanghai. I would of guessed it would be their version of Pirates because it looks like an incredible, game changing attraction. The ride system used is stunning and I find it surprising that Disney isn't rushing to build more rides using that ride system. So I want to ask the insiders here if there is an attraction proposed using that system for the domestic parks? Obviously it would have a different theme than Pirates but I think that ride system could be used for various different properties (or maybe an original story!). We all know DHS could use a water ride!

Cmdr_Crimson

Very Simple.....
spaceballs-yogurt-moichandising.jpg

deeevo

Marvel would be my guess. I think Disney will continue to pursue getting full Marvel rights from Universal. Not saying it will happen but if it does look out!

cheezbat

Hey long time reader, first time poster here. I think it's awesome that we knew about all of the E tickets announced Saturday many months ago thanks to the great insiders here on this site.

I was surprised to hear Bob Chapek say that TRON is the highest rated attraction in Shanghai. I would of guessed it would be their version of Pirates because it looks like an incredible, game changing attraction. The ride system used is stunning and I find it surprising that Disney isn't rushing to build more rides using that ride system. So I want to ask the insiders here if there is an attraction proposed using that system for the domestic parks? Obviously it would have a different theme than Pirates but I think that ride system could be used for various different properties (or maybe an original story!). We all know DHS could use a water ride!
Agreed.

I'd love to see this ride system somewhere in WDW, and I definitely want to see more Indiana Jones presence in the parks. Heck, the Disneyland ride is still one of their most popular attractions!

Kamikaze

I was surprised to hear Bob Chapek say that TRON is the highest rated attraction in Shanghai.

Remember that you can make numbers say whatever you want. I agree with you that their Pirates is stunning on video, and it might be more popular overall, but he said 'highest rated' and not 'most popular'.

ppete1975

I was surprised to hear Bob Chapek say that TRON is the highest rated attraction in Shanghai. I would of guessed it would be their version of Pirates because it looks like an incredible, game changing attraction.

I think people prob ride tron constantly as its about the thrills... while pirates you take a break. ive ridden roller coasters back to back more than I have a themed ride. Although I go to Disney for themed rides, I have ridden EE like 6 times in a row (early and single rider line lol)

wedenterprises

Merch. What are Disneys top merch performers? I don't have numbers but I'd guess in no particular order:

Mickey
Cars
Frozen
Star Wars
Marvel (all)

I bet the math boys are licking their lips at the idea of a Cars overlay for TT

Magenta Panther

Marvel would be my guess. I think Disney will continue to pursue getting full Marvel rights from Universal. Not saying it will happen but if it does look out!

Let us all pray to He on High that NEVER happens. The less Marvel in WDW, the better.

As to what's next...who the heck knows. An original non-IP ride concept would be nice. If not that, than a new land devoted to a DISNEY/adapted/created property would be great. What about Neverland, Wonderland, or even the Land of Oz (since Disney did make a not-bad-but-not-great Oz film). Or how about a Disney Villains Land or attraction - that would be my first choice. But we can't expect too much. Not as long as Iger is in charge. :(

Brer Oswald

Let us all pray to He on High that NEVER happens. The less Marvel in WDW, the better.

As to what's next...who the heck knows. An original non-IP ride concept would be nice. If not that, than a new land devoted to a DISNEY/adapted/created property would be great. What about Neverland, Wonderland, or even the Land of Oz (since Disney did make a not-bad-but-not-great Oz film). Or how about a Disney Villains Land or attraction - that would be my first choice. But we can't expect too much. Not as long as Iger is in charge. :(
Why is less Marvel better? If Disney is ends up getting Marvel rights, they would have plenty of room to build Marvel rides in DHS without replacing anything. I agree, I'm sick of seeing the non Disney original IP taking centre stage. But at least Marvel is diverse with multiple properties, where as if you don't like any of Star Wars, you're screwed. Also, I would love to see Neverland and Wonderland in MK, but unfortunately, Disney backed themselves in a corner, in terms of room for expansion, when they built new Fantasyland. That being said, we can still dream!

Maeryk

Thoughts?

I had read that there was a planned Star Wars movie every year for the next decade. There are at least four more in the pipeline, with last jedi this year, Han next year, the third in the trilogy after that, then a Boba fett or/and anthology in 2020, and I can't think they put 4.5 billion into it just to stop there.

There's also another (at least) one coming out for Indy, so it may just be that the rather worn stunt show gets a rework into something newer and more recent in the movies, if not scrapped and reworked into a ride all together. As the park moves away from "live" entertainment, I'd not be at all surprised to see that go entirely.

I think the work is going to drop off after the 50th for a while on that park. 2/3 of it will have been refurbished. We may see the long rumored demise of the BatB and a repurposing of that area, but I think Epcot is going to take the majority of the work once SWL and TSL are complete.

Maeryk

Why is less Marvel better? If Disney is ends up getting Marvel rights, they would have plenty of room to build Marvel rides in DHS without replacing anything. I agree, I'm sick of seeing the non Disney original IP taking centre stage. But at least Marvel is diverse with multiple properties, where as if you don't like any of Star Wars, you're screwed. Also, I would love to see Neverland and Wonderland in MK, but unfortunately, Disney backed themselves in a corner, in terms of room for expansion, when they built new Fantasyland. That being said, we can still dream!

DHS has pretty much become the "non disney original IP park". If anywhere, that's where it should go. But I think Disney is going to have to knock some people off to get the licensing for those characters back.

At some point, we have to face the fact that Disney acquires stuff.. it's now a Disney IP, and just hope they give us unique and memorable experiences with it.. like star tours, or the IJ stunt spectacular, or RnRC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom