Nothing Sweeter Than A Chocolate Aid Station During a Race! Hershey Half Mini-Report

Kristia

Original Poster
I am recovered from my Hershey Half so here it is! My mini-race report!

We orginally intended to be at the expo by about noon but due to a slightly late start and major traffic in Philly (no surprise there) we were really late. We didn't get to Hershey till almost 2 pm. I texted Coryna (fmingo) shortly before we got there and were able to meet up with her and Christopher in the parking lot. It was so great to meet someone from here and it was my first wdwmagic meet up! She warned us that the expo was really pitiful and it was. There were hardly any vendors so we didn't even really look around. Rock-n-Roll expo was SOOOOO much better.

We checked in at our hotel which was a little family-owned older style motel. It was nice and clean and the family was so nice. It is run by an older couple and their daughter. Highly recommend the Whiterose Motel in Hershey if you ever go. We got a king-size bed and rooms had flat screen tvs, fridges (good-size ones), microwave and coffee-makers.

After checking in, we went back to the park. With the race registration, we each got 2 free tix to Hersheypark in the Dark, their Halloween event. First we made the requisite stop to Chocolate World for their Disney-esque dark ride into they way Hershey's chocolate is made. Even drops you off in a huge gift shop.

HersheyHalfMarathon001.jpg

The characters were out in their Halloween costumes.

HersheyHalfMarathon008.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon027.jpg

We had a good time at the parks, but I am glad we didn't pay for the tickets. It was more crowded than it is during a weekend day in the summer. The ride lines were crazy busy until just before closing and we only went on a few. It was neat walking around the zoo at night and seeing some of the nocturnal animals actually doing something other than sleeping! We left just before 10 pm (the park was open 2 pm till 10 pm) and went straight to bed.

On race morning, we got up at 5:45. The race started at 7:30 and our hotel was only a few miles away. We had put out all our gear the night before. Next time we will leave earlier. The traffic getting into the park was rough. It isn't a huge race (5,000 runners) so I didn't expect the huge backups. There were plenty of porto-pots and regular bathrooms at the stadium but the lines were still crazy. By the time we finished the race had just started. I had wanted to meet up with Coryna before the race for a pic but my timing didn't work out! They didn't have corrals, just signs that you were supposed to stand by that had min/mile paces. We waited for people to pass and kind of hopped into the moving mass when we thought our pace might be coming up. Very strange way to start!

flynnibus

Premium Member
hrm.. might have to talk my wife into this next year. she's from york county and this could be a change of pace for her races..

Kristia

Original Poster
I didn't take a whole lot of pictures during the race but Dan and I both like the course. Here is the Garmin data:

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/235876246

We are both used to super flat South Jersey running. We have no hills to speak of for training. This course was quite challenging for us because it was pretty rolling. According to all the heartrate monitors that I heard going off, it was challenging for lots of people! :)

We ran the long way around the parking lots and into Hersheypark.

HersheyHalfMarathon029.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon036.jpg

After the park we ran through the surrounding Hershey area. It is really a beautiful area with rolling fields and pastures and local landmarks such as the Milton Hershey School, Hershey Country Club, and Hershey Museum. The fall colors were all around us and it was just a lovely scene. At one point, we ran through a golf course on the golf cart road.

HersheyHalfMarathon037.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon040.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon038.jpg

After mile 11, as you run down Chocolate Ave (Hershey's Main Street) we hit the Chocolate Aid Station. They were handing out Reese's Fastbreaks.
Dan gets one from the Mr. Reeses!

HersheyHalfMarathon041.jpg

Mr. Hersheys handing out candy!

HersheyHalfMarathon042.jpg

After our candy break we ran for the finish! We had two motivation points for a good finish. My aunt was able to come and we saw her at mile 12. It was great to see her! She lives close to Hershey so we only see her a few times a year. The other was throughout the race we were running at the same pace as a Team In Training group. There was 2 women and a grizzled old man coach. He was relentless to those two women. It was kind of funny yet kind of grating to be running near him this whole time. He was behind me at one point and he was kind of scaring me because his breathing sounded like a raging bull coming up from behind! Was creeping me out! :eek: He racewalked most of the time (quicker than we could run)! Dan kept telling me to speed it up, we just HAD to beat him. At another point the one woman was running next to the coach and I heard him tell her that their other woman was running with her son and that was really slowing her down. He was really annoyed. I was able to kicked it into high gear and we were able to pass him and keep ahead of him for the finish! Yay! My official finish was 2:36:02. This was my 3rd half and my second best time. My other two courses were much flatter so I am pretty pleased with this time.

I tried again to meet up with Coryna but we had to leave pretty quickly as we needed to check out of our hotel by 11. We had kept the room so we could go back and change. Bummer!

Overall, Dan and I really liked this race. We didn't encounter any problems with walkers. Not sure if that was because of the smaller field so we weren't so packed together or what. It was quite challenging and I was worried if my knee would hold up but it did fine. I felt it the whole time but it wasn't bad. I had kinesiotaped it beforehand and that seemed to work well. Next time we will get to the start earlier so we don't feel so rushed. Looks like another race on our annual list!

Now for the bling!

HersheyHalfMarathon048.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon053.jpg

HersheyHalfMarathon056.jpg

Kristia

Original Poster
hrm.. might have to talk my wife into this next year. she's from york county and this could be a change of pace for her races..
Make sure you register early if you want to do it. I am not sure when registration opens but I registered in August and I think it sold out shortly after that.

fmingo36

Boy you're good! I haven't even unpacked from the weekend and you already have a report and pictures up.:p
Sorry we weren't able to meet up after the race. I'll add my thoughts about the race later.

fmingo36

Make sure you register early if you want to do it. I am not sure when registration opens but I registered in August and I think it sold out shortly after that.

We got a magnet at the expo with the race registeration date. I'll post it later when I get home.

Kristia

Original Poster
Boy you're good! I haven't even unpacked from the weekend and you already have a report and pictures up.:p
Sorry we weren't able to meet up after the race. I'll add my thoughts about the race later.
I took off today so I was able to get them up! And I didn't unpack yet. That is later today. :rolleyes:

Kristia

Original Poster
I like how your prioritize!

There are so many darn halfs around this time that I will have a tough time deciding what to run for next year! This looks like a fun one.

I know! There are definitely too many. I also wanted to do the Shades of Death Road Half Marathon but picked this one. I think Shades of Death was last weekend. Ugh! Too many choices. Need more $$ and time! Possibly younger legs as well!!

Witchy Chick

Seeing as I looooooove Peanut Butter cups, I just want to eat that bling. hahahhaa

Great report. I am tempted now to train up to the half (or relay with my hubs?) for next year.

Kristia

Original Poster
Great TR. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a fun course to go through the park.
Thanks! It was a fun course.
Seeing as I looooooove Peanut Butter cups, I just want to eat that bling. hahahhaa

Great report. I am tempted now to train up to the half (or relay with my hubs?) for next year.
Do it! It looked like the relay was well run. I don't think there were a ton of people doing that but I think they had 2 buses of people that we passed at the start. Once we went through, they bussed the relay participants to the halfway point where they waited for their partner. The first runner got their medal once they met up with their partner and then was bussed to the finish.

Great report, thanks for posting!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed!

JillC LI

Great race report Kristi! I am having bling-envy over that adorable medal. It would be great if a bunch of us could more formally plan to meet up at this race next year. Would it be a sacrilege to have a meeting of the WDW runners at a Hershey Park race? :confused: :D

Kristia

Original Poster
Great race report Kristi! I am having bling-envy over that adorable medal. It would be great if a bunch of us could more formally plan to meet up at this race next year. Would it be a sacrilege to have a meeting of the WDW runners at a Hershey Park race? :confused: :D
I thought it was great that Reese's got some love instead of a plain old Hershey bar or a Kiss. I think I saw last years and it was a Kiss with date. This one is much cuter! I don't think it is sacrilege at all! We gotta meet where we can right? We can't help it if Hershey is relatively close for a good number of us! ;) Coryna has the registration start date for next year. We all need to add that to our calendars ASAP so we don't forget!

JillC LI

Coryna has the registration start date for next year. We all need to add that to our calendars ASAP so we don't forget!

So when is it Coryna? I can't find any information on their web site?

Btw, I told my hubby all about the race yesterday and the Chocolate Aid Station and how I was definitely doing this race next year, and he said "But it's only chocolate." I said "You're kidding, right?"

fmingo36

Sorry-thing have been a bit crazy in my life lately. I have so much catching up to do on this forum.

Hershey has a 10K race on April 14, 2013-registration opens on Jan. 14, 2013.
The 1/2 Marathon is scheduled for Oct. 20, 2013 and the registration opens on May 1, 2013.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom