Not More Lost Services at WDW

jay_london

Original Poster
I don't know about the fountains. However, I was in NYC and stopped at the Disney Store there. A cast member in the travel center mentioned that the boats from Poly and GF to MK as well as the Friendship launches at Epcot were to be discontinued. I don't know if this is due to the water shortage or more cut-backs.

The above was a post from Disneynut elsewhere on this forum. Is there anytruth in this, I for one hope there isn't. I love to take these launches for a leisurely ride across the lakes on a hot day. If these boat services are suspended surly it will just put more stress on a poor transport system. Oh and yes this is jay_london and not mlewis, only joking mlewis;)

Jay

Tramp

There is a similar boat that travels to the Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge....
If this is discontinued, I can't believe it would be from a water shortage....
we were at the GF a few years back and the water was so low we had to step up over a 18 inches onto the dock...this was before they put in the floating docks....
Florida is coming up on the rainy season, so let's hope they get a few tropical storms to build up their lakes...

by the way...nothing like a thunderstorm on a hot steamy day at the park....:):):)

DisneyPhD

Poly and GF both have monorail so the boats do seem a bit redundant. Perhaps they would only cut back on the times that the boats would operate (i.e. mornings and late afternoon) I would think it would be faster to walk from GF during certain times of the day. The launches from Wilderness Lodge and Ft. Wilderness will always be around because that's the most direct route from the resort to the MK.

The Mom

Premium Member
Whether the boat or monorail is faster depends upon where you are in the poly, and how frequently the boat is running. My husband & I tried it a few years ago. I took the mono, he took the launch and beat me by about 10mins. Our room was closer to the dock, so 1.he didn't have to walk as far 2. he could see the launch coming across the lagoon.

Tramp

I would think it would be faster to walk from GF during certain times of the day.

Unless they built a bridge over the canal, you can't walk to the MK from the Grand Floridian.

We find the boat to be a relaxing trip but a bit longer than taking the monorail. The monorail is always crowded when it stops at the GF cuz it just completed a stop at the Transportation Center and Polynesian.

The boat is the BEST way BACK to the Grand Floridian from the MK cuz the GF is the first stop on the boat but the last stop on the monorail. The monorail stops at the Contemporary, the Transportation Center, tht Polynesian and finally the GF. :):):)

NowInc

The water problem here really isnt getting much better..but i HIGHTLY doubt thats why they are cutting back on the boats. More appropriatly Pressler wants a raise and feels that by justifying the closing of them (explain why they arent needed [rolls eyes]) and will do so without any concern over public feedback.

I'll do more research into this to see exactly whats going on, and I will relay back to you guys any information I obtain :)

Brett

I love to the rides the boats to the Magic Kingdom, but still the Monorail is much better. It's classic Disney, for one, and even if you've picked up other passengers, their is usually always room. I never miss a trip on the Monorail...

DisneyPhD

Quote: Unless they built a bridge over the canal, you can't walk to the MK from the Grand Floridian

Sorry, I foolishly assumed there was a path all the way around the lagoon. I do recall seeing a canal in an overhead shot of the area so that would make it a bit of a wet walk.:rolleyes:

Tramp

Sorry, I foolishly assumed there was a path all the way around the lagoon. I do recall seeing a canal in an overhead shot of the area so that would make it a bit of a wet walk.

DisneyPhd...

I actually sent Disney a letter three years ago suggesting a bridge over the canal so you can walk to the MK from the Grand Floridian but it apparently fell on deaf mickey mouse ears.

The last couple of years, it looked like they were using a huge section of that area near the canal as a staging area for all the construction going on at the GF.

I love the monorail, and would ride it whenever
possible.

Mrs. 100th_Guest, on the other hand, hates the monorail (I don't really know why), and would never ride it, were it not for me.

We both agree, though, that the boats are a nice, relaxing way to get to and from the parks.

Do I remember correctly (based upon the previous several posts) that the contemporary is the only resort with a reasonable walk to MK?

WDW-Imagineer

Originally posted by 1000th_Guest
Do I remember correctly (based upon the previous several posts) that the contemporary is the only resort with a reasonable walk to MK?

As far as I know, yes. On the day I had the Keys to the Kingdom tour, my father and I went to the Concourse Steakhouse for breakfast and then walked to MK. It was a very nice 10 minute walk.

Tink

I enjoy taking the boat after a nice day at MGM to have dinner at Epcot or the Boardwalk. It is a nice (air conditioned) way to relax for a few minutes before dinner. That particular boat is nice too since it kinda keeps you in "magical mode". Taking a bus is not very magical. I know the buses are necessary but I prefer a leisurely "Friendship" cruise.:)

Disney Maniac

The boats are a lot of fun, but I definitly like the monorail better. I just wish that Disney would go through with it's earlier plans to expand the monorail system. That would be so cool.

I do like the FriendShips on the International Gateway and MGM routes, though. They are a nice, calm, relaxing way to go to the Yacht & Beach Club or the BoardWalk Inn & Villas after a fun-filled day in Epcot and Disney-MGM Studios.

WDW-Imagineer

The monorail is probably my most favorite part of WDW. I also wish that they would extend it throughout the property, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like that is gonna happen. :( :(

Disney Maniac

Disney is willing to spend millions upon millions to expand their already huge busing system with something called "Bus on Demand" or the like, but they won't add another loop to the ever-classic, ever-popular mono?! Give me a break! If nothing else, maybe they should just upgrade the monos to appease us all! Every time I go to Disney World and look at the Swan and Dolphin and see where the mono line may have gone through it, I get really frustrated:mad: !

NowInc

Actually, the reason they didnt build the new monorail system is because not only is it expensive to build...but even more so to maintain. The option that Disney presented was to start charging for the monorail (some of you will remember the survey takers at the monorail stations asking how much youd be willing to spend on a monorail ticket)...but that idea was quickly rejected.

They already have the complete monorail system re-drawn complete with a new TTC, a station at Downtown disney and possible routes to all parks (some parks had alternate routes mapped out) ..as well as a 5th park for future transportation. As soon as the budget for the monorail goes thru...it will be a quick process (well..quick compaired to if they had to start all over from scratch). I will try to draw a map of this (from memory of course) as soon as i finish my overhead shot of the entire WDW resort.

Seriously tho...is transportation at WDW THAT bad? I mean...I have no problem with the busses or even taking my car from park to park. Sure id LOVE to see a new monorail system..but not at the expence of something more necessary...such as new attractions and current maintenance of the parks.

So whats my solution?

Kill pressler :) He is after all the one who keeps the money from flowing (Debate this if you want...I have several points to back my words up)...and his abscence from the theme parks would definatally help bring things back to the way we want.

Diamond Dot

I don't know about the fountains. However, I was in NYC and stopped at the Disney Store there. A cast member in the travel center mentioned that the boats from Poly and GF to MK as well as the Friendship launches at Epcot were to be discontinued. I don't know if this is due to the water shortage or more cut-backs.

The above was a post from Disneynut elsewhere on this forum. Is there anytruth in this, I for one hope there isn't. I love to take these launches for a leisurely ride across the lakes on a hot day. If these boat services are suspended surly it will just put more stress on a poor transport system. Oh and yes this is jay_london and not mlewis, only joking mlewis;)

Jay
I know it's an old post, but, it proves you should never believe every rumour you hear.

orion54

Disney store employees in NYC are clueless. When I went there a while back, they told me that WDW AP passes had your picture on them and were like credit cards. :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom