Not Impressed with Pandora

JusticeDisney

I was expecting so much more. The river journey was just blah. Not a repeat. Nighttime was actually very underwhelming. I was expecting much more to be lit up...it was very boring. FOP was ok. It's soaring and star tours combined. Kind of a let down. I guess it's good they have two more rides to take the heat off my favorite ride, Everest, but i was expecting much more.
Could not disagree with you more. IMO, the place was spectacular at night, Navi River ride is the best of its kind, and FOP is the best ride in any of the 4 parks. Anyway, to each his own.

crxbrett

I believe that will be implemented (and sold to guests) in the somewhat near future.

I actually saw a booth in one of the big shops where people sat down and got their face scanned and then could get a custom Avatar figure with their likeness. Is this what you mean? It looked really cool! But I geel like it should have been part of the FoP attraction instead of being in a shop. Perhaps both would be ideal?

parkhopper1213

I was impressed with Pandora and thought it was a great change over camp Minnie/Mickey. I would like to see it expanded. After all, its 2 rides, a store and a restaurant. Its a big draw to the park. After much waiting, finally got to see Rivers of Light. Was not impressed. It wasn't anything different for us.

Tk0021

I am glad I am not the only one with this opinion. I just got back and I was underwhelmed. I did like the river ride and DD 6 really liked it. The land was cool at night, but during the day it seemed blah. For me with the time and money reportly spent I expected more, but I don't know amusement park construction financing.

Frank semmel

I was expecting so much more. The river journey was just blah. Not a repeat. Nighttime was actually very underwhelming. I was expecting much more to be lit up...it was very boring. FOP was ok. It's soaring and star tours combined. Kind of a let down. I guess it's good they have two more rides to take the heat off my favorite ride, Everest, but i was expecting much more.

Yea i agree A bugs life is much better. Lol lol lol.
Crack kills sweetheart!!!

tl77

I've only seen video of it, but I'm not super anxious to go see it either. It's part of this new trend to build these huge "immersive environments" with lots of pretty rock work/landscaping but not much to do... I think Fantasyland at the magic Kingdom is still the busiest area on the whole property because it has so many rides and attractions so close to each other, I'm not sure why this isn't the norm

Cado603

I've only seen video of it, but I'm not super anxious to go see it either. It's part of this new trend to build these huge "immersive environments" with lots of pretty rock work/landscaping but not much to do... I think Fantasyland at the magic Kingdom is still the busiest area on the whole property because it has so many rides and attractions so close to each other, I'm not sure why this isn't the norm
Not that new section of Fantasyland that was just built. Went in there once and had to go in to go on Mermaid ride again with people who had not gone before. Months of walls and construction for what a storybook picture op and that awful mermaid ride and food of course. River ride at AK was boring actually so boring I could not tell you what I saw. Did not go on other ride yet. Maybe in fall. but unimpressed with all the greenery did not even bother to go at night. Too dark

MowgliBaloo

We went two weekends ago. Only time in my life I've been to AK three days in a row.
Friday we went to see Pandora at night - pretty cool! It was darker than I expected, but interesting. Didn't do any rides as the lines were too long. We ate dinner at the Canteen and liked the variety, and difference from other places in AK.
Saturday my son and I waited in line 150 minutes for FoP because I thought if we don't, we won't get to do it at all on this trip. Normally we won't wait more than 20 minutes for any ride. Wow, we like Soarin' but FoP was awesome, and we felt it was worth the wait. FoP is much more immersive than Soarin' and we didn't think they were alike at all. NRJ wasn't overly exciting, but we didn't think it was lame either.
Sunday we scored FP+ for FoP. I wasn't sure how much my fun daughter and her friend would have, because they get car sick - but they loved it. My daughter timed the ride, and it was just under 8 minutes (ride only). All three kids said it was way better than Soarin'. Then we all rode NRJ - it's a mellow ride. We enjoyed the desserts from the canteen, and boba drink from Pongu Pongu. Very neat to see Pandora during the day and compare it to what we saw at night.
We can't wait to ride FoP again.
One thing I did notice - maybe because it is all greenery and outdoors - but I saw a lot of places where the paint and coverings weren't complete, and you could see the speakers, wiring, chicken wire, etc., underneath/behind the landscaping.

Jeff456

I thought it looked absolutely stunning, it blew me away, it felt much bigger than I imagined it! FoP is incredible, however it is more enjoyable when you can't see others in your peripheral vision, the first time I road it I was in the centre and saw no one, on my second ride through I could see people in my peripheral vision on my left hand side which was a little distracting but it was still great.
I expected very little of NRF given the feedback I had seen on it (not that much as I did not want to spoil the land) so was pleasantly surprised. The animatronic is great, it would have been good to see it for longer. I did however see lots of little details I really enjoyed. I did it twice over a two week trip, I would not queue for a third time but will ride it in the future.
I didn't wait for either ride I used two FPs on FOP and one on NRJ then walked on at opening one day.
I understand what people have said about it being not that bright at night the bio-luminescence could have been slightly brighter I think but it does still look great.
On the 2nd of September both rides were down for EMH and then still down until around midday I think, this meant we didn't use our last FOP fastpass and went to Epcot instead (they opened soon after I left) however I have never seen such a long queue at guest relations (this was at about 11am) lots of people wanting their money back I imagine with both rides being shut.
Animal Kingdom felt very busy all trip although other lines were not that badly affected by Pandora.

Chef Mickey

It's because of money and poor decision making at the parks, namely WDW. The new normal for lands is ~2 rides and wait....forever. See SWL and TSL. New Fantasyland too. Could they have built 5 iattractions in Pandora? Kept Snow White? Kept Mr. Toad? Sure, but that's more money, time, and most importantly, an "all in" approach with higher operating costs.

I firmly believe Disney just wants to get by with a safe investment in "can't miss" territory. that is also the most economical to run. Building out Pandora would have been far more risk and money, so they just opted for 2 rides they saw as can't miss. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll ever expand it meaningfully because they haven't expanded anywhere without first taking something away. Tron is about the only fully new attraction, but you can bet we'll lose something else in TL by the time that opens.

Tron was safe because it's been done before, is a rollercoaster, and doesn't involve any outside the box thinking. It will work and that's what they want. There is no ambition anymore due to fear of disappointing shareholders.

Terri harrison

I can't wait to see this in a few days , no mater what I think of Pandora ( I expect I will love it) . I will always think this is the best zoo I have and pretty sure will ever go to! This is a beautiful park and pretty Darn fun!!! Take a look around enjoy the beauty the rides are a extra bonus !

Matt_Black

I can't wait to see this in a few days , no mater what I think of Pandora ( I expect I will love it) . I will always think this is the best zoo I have and pretty sure will ever go to! This is a beautiful park and pretty Darn fun!!! Take a look around enjoy the beauty the rides are a extra bonus !

And don't forget all the fun entertainment!

tl77

It's because of money and poor decision making at the parks, namely WDW. The new normal for lands is ~2 rides and wait....forever. See SWL and TSL. New Fantasyland too. Could they have built 5 iattractions in Pandora? Kept Snow White? Kept Mr. Toad? Sure, but that's more money, time, and most importantly, an "all in" approach with higher operating costs.

I firmly believe Disney just wants to get by with a safe investment in "can't miss" territory. that is also the most economical to run. Building out Pandora would have been far more risk and money, so they just opted for 2 rides they saw as can't miss. Unfortunately, I don't think they'll ever expand it meaningfully because they haven't expanded anywhere without first taking something away. Tron is about the only fully new attraction, but you can bet we'll lose something else in TL by the time that opens.

Tron was safe because it's been done before, is a rollercoaster, and doesn't involve any outside the box thinking. It will work and that's what they want. There is no ambition anymore due to fear of disappointing shareholders.

Yeah they're definitely going with "brand name things that they feel are safe bets" that's the Iger way, and then they sell action figures and video games ect... based on those names as well. Like the JJ Abrams Star Wars movie had all this dialogue about "how to pilot the Millennium Falcon" as a tie in to the forthcoming rides/themed land ect... that's basically the "scam" they've engineered, because they think this will keep bringing in money and keep the shareholders happy...

What I can't get over is how much space/land is being dedicated to things that only have 2 rides & attractions, compared to the Magic Kingdom that has like 40 rides & attractions. The ticket price is the same at all 4 parks, I think the average person is smart enough to realize that they get a lot more for their more going to the Magic Kingdom because it has the most stuff to do, it's not any specific "name brand" that's drawing people to MK, and it's not like people go to Frontierland and marvel at the architecture of the building and landscaping... they go to ride Big Thunder & Splash Mountains and maybe see the Country Bears and the 3 o'clock parade before they hop on the train to Fantsayland or walk over to Pirates and the Jungle Cruise and see Adventureland

Avatar-land is so big, has so little to do, is and so landlocked from the rest of the park, I personally don't see the appeal of it, I got the gist of it from YouTube, and I don't feel that if the next few Avatar movies are huge hits it'll make me like Pandora any better... and Star Wars-land is "14"?? acres of 2 rides, and a lot of replica spaceships and people doing "cos-play"? Maybe I'm old and out of touch but pretending I'm Han Solo with my magic band isn't my idea of a good time on vacation.

Chef Mickey

Yeah they're definitely going with "brand name things that they feel are safe bets" that's the Iger way, and then they sell action figures and video games ect... based on those names as well. Like the JJ Abrams Star Wars movie had all this dialogue about "how to pilot the Millennium Falcon" as a tie in to the forthcoming rides/themed land ect... that's basically the "scam" they've engineered, because they think this will keep bringing in money and keep the shareholders happy...

What I can't get over is how much space/land is being dedicated to things that only have 2 rides & attractions, compared to the Magic Kingdom that has like 40 rides & attractions. The ticket price is the same at all 4 parks, I think the average person is smart enough to realize that they get a lot more for their more going to the Magic Kingdom because it has the most stuff to do, it's not any specific "name brand" that's drawing people to MK, and it's not like people go to Frontierland and marvel at the architecture of the building and landscaping... they go to ride Big Thunder & Splash Mountains and maybe see the Country Bears and the 3 o'clock parade before they hop on the train to Fantsayland or walk over to Pirates and the Jungle Cruise and see Adventureland

Avatar-land is so big, has so little to do, is and so landlocked from the rest of the park, I personally don't see the appeal of it, I got the gist of it from YouTube, and I don't feel that if the next few Avatar movies are huge hits it'll make me like Pandora any better... and Star Wars-land is "14"?? acres of 2 rides, and a lot of replica spaceships and people doing "cos-play"? Maybe I'm old and out of touch but pretending I'm Han Solo with my magic band isn't my idea of a good time on vacation.
Good post and I agree. A large land needs more than 2 rides, not matter how great. MK is the best model of what a theme park should be.

Multiple attractions in each land, incredible detail, and plenty to do.

I think your assessment is correct as well. If merch can't be sold in massive quantities, no sense in building the ride. The days of Splash Mountain (just a great ride) are gone. You have to capitalize at the studio, the park, and in consumer products for it to make the cut now.

Matt_Black

The number of rides doesn't concern me. If I cared about the quantity of rides, I could go to numerous theme parks a lot closer to home.

And, remember, EPCOT didn't have all that many rides when it opened, and everyone here speaks of EPCOT opening day in revered, hushed tones usually reserved for religious ceremonies.

DisneyGirl3820

We were blown away. When Pandora first opened, we watched YouTube videos of it and I have to admit, it didn't look too impressive. BUT when we actually went there, it took on a whole new dimension. Words can't describe the details and the obvious time and imagination that went into creating it. A "magical" place is an understatement.

GoofyCathy

I hate to sound pessimistic, but I share similar feelings about the land. NRJ is awkwardly quiet and is a ride that, in my opinion, is carried entirely on the back of one good -- well, fantastic -- animatronic. I associate Disney boat rides with a painstaking attention to detail and immersion; I feel like I am walking through the plant section of Home Depot at night with a black light on when I ride NRJ. FoP is a good ride on its own, credit is certainly due where it's due. However, I find it extremely disappointing that it is essentially a more immersive version of Soarin. I also hate this trend of labeling something a "ride" when it's just me sitting down and watching a screen while my seat moves and I am misted with water. FoP, the Kong ride at islands of Adventure (honestly pretty much half of the rides at Universal/IoA now) are disappointing when compared to real thrill rides like ToT, Dragon Challenge, Space Mountain, and the like. If Pandora was meant to immerse us, it did a poor job. We were left with a relatively small "land" with 2 rides... well, a boat ride and a simulator. How many years of construction, and we are given just one animatronic.

Yes, I am fully aware that I can just visit elsewhere, there are plenty of people willing to throw their money at Disney to see Pandora, blah blah blah... but as a personal review of the land, I found it disappointing, and not worth going out of my way to do more than get some good pictures of the scenery.

I haven't seen it yet...will be going in October...but I felt the same way about that dumb Little Mermaid ride at MK. It is so lame! All those fake plants and dumb characters. Is this what we are to expect from Disney now? C'mon innovators! You can do better than this!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom