Not enough non thrill attractions

JassiSidhu2000

Original Poster
Not every attraction has to be an adrenalin thrill for it to be exciting and brilliant. Plenty of attractions, that are just a brilliant experience without a massive drop, or going upside down, or some excessive swirls and spins.

I love Universal, my favourite two parks in Orlando. However, for the first time we are bringing our parents (in their early 60's) to Orlando, and just looking at things - there is barely any new attraction we can do at Universal with them.

The two Harry Potter attractions aren't possible for them. Which is a massive shame.

Just would love attractions, new attractions that is, that aren't tame childrens rides, but still are brilliantly exciting. Don't think Universal has enough of these family attractions. Instead we will probably have to spend a fair chunk of time at Disney - Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Kiliminjaro Safari, Soarin', etc ...

JoeCamel

You have three coming that suit your requirements, Kong, Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon. They are all "tame" without being kiddie rides. BTW I am 62 and looking forward to all those plus the return of the Hulk. Plenty to do without the big coasters. T2, Horror Makeup show Animal Actors MiB, All good for us old folk.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

It is sad that the Studios park just lost 2 family friendly rides (Disaster and Twister), but as JoeCamel just mentioned they are being replaced with 3 new family friendly attractions.

I actually like that Uni is a "thrills" first park, but I understand that is not for everyone.

Is there any reason they can't do Gringotts? I don't find that intense at all. There is also Hogwarts Express. I would think they might also be able to handle Spiderman. It can be a little intense, but not particularly rough.

One of the things I like most about Uni Florida is there are lots of areas to just sit and relax and watch everything even if you don't want to do the attractions. Except for Hulk, almost every area of the parks has a great restaurant or open space to enjoy while others enjoy the thrills -- Three Broomsticks, Ollivanders, Moe's Tavern, Central Park stage, etc.

Even though I love Hulk and look forward to more thrills, I could be quite happy just riding the Water Taxis and spending time at Margaritaville :)

Jwhee

Rides they most likely can do-
Minion Mayhem (regular or stationary seating)
USF-
-Terminator 2:3D
-Transformers
-Hogwarts Express
-Men In Black
-ET
-MAYBE Gringotts. It isn't intense especially in the front row.
-Horror Make Up, Animal Actors Etc

IOA-
-1 Fish 2 Fish
-Cat in the hat
-High In The Sky Train Ride
-Poseidon's Fury
-Reign Of Kong
-Spiderman

JassiSidhu2000

Original Poster
Would have loved the two Harry Potters attractions - but both have two segments that make the attraction non family friendly. With Grongotts it's that initial drop which is pretty intense for someone, and with Forbidden Journey it's when the seats go back and forward in that room.

Both attractions, imo, would have been equally as great without those segments - rendering the attractions more family friendly.

Do agree though, King Kong appears to be a family attraction.

Jwhee

Would have loved the two Harry Potters attractions - but both have two segments that make the attraction non family friendly. With Grongotts it's that initial drop which is pretty intense for someone, and with Forbidden Journey it's when the seats go back and forward in that room.

Both attractions, imo, would have been equally as great without those segments - rendering the attractions more family friendly.

It's less intense than big thunder. My 5 year old sister rides it

Disneyhead'71

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

No, no, no!!!!!! Stop toddlerizing everything!!!! Not all Americans are wimpy man-children. There is a park right down the road that specializes in rides that don't move. And the ones that do move move at a walking pace.

Last edited:

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.

Forbidden Journey may be another good candidate for SeaWorld's Antarctica's "Wild or Mild" options. Granted, figuring a way to SET these options would be a headache...

raven

You have three coming that suit your requirements, Kong, Fast and Furious and Jimmy Fallon. They are all "tame" without being kiddie rides. BTW I am 62 and looking forward to all those plus the return of the Hulk. Plenty to do without the big coasters. T2, Horror Makeup show Animal Actors MiB, All good for us old folk.
One is frightening and the others contain simulator motions. I think what the OP is talking about is that there aren't enough attractions for smaller children to enjoy without these elements.

JT3000

One is frightening and the others contain simulator motions. I think what the OP is talking about is that there aren't enough attractions for smaller children to enjoy without these elements.

They referred specifically to physically intense ride elements their PARENTS can't take, which, based on everything I've heard, none of those attractions will have. As for Kong being frightening, there are plenty of physically tame rides that may scare children, so nothing new there.

And I know everyone is different, but we also can't generalize most of Universal's rides as senior unfriendly. Plenty of people in that age range enjoy the Potter rides, etc.

Last edited:

danpam1024

They referred specifically to physically intense ride elements their PARENTS can't take, which, based on everything I've heard, none of those attractions will have. As for Kong being frightening, there are plenty of physically tame rides that may scare children, so nothing new there.

And I know everyone is different, but we also can't generalize most of Universal's rides as senior unfriendly. Plenty of people in that age range enjoy the Potter rides, etc.
As far as "frightening" goes- the Haunted Mansion scared the poo outta me until I was 10 or so- I mean, a floating candelabra in the hallway-yikes!

JT3000

Haunted Mansion is an obvious offender, but outside of things such as whimsical kiddie rides and meet & greets, I think many adults have a tendency to overestimate how child friendly theme parks are in general, or underestimate the many ways in which a small child can find practically ANY ride frightening. So toning down attractions such as Kong would definitely serve no purpose.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not every attraction has to be an adrenalin thrill for it to be exciting and brilliant. Plenty of attractions, that are just a brilliant experience without a massive drop, or going upside down, or some excessive swirls and spins.

I love Universal, my favourite two parks in Orlando. However, for the first time we are bringing our parents (in their early 60's) to Orlando, and just looking at things - there is barely any new attraction we can do at Universal with them.

The two Harry Potter attractions aren't possible for them. Which is a massive shame.

Just would love attractions, new attractions that is, that aren't tame childrens rides, but still are brilliantly exciting. Don't think Universal has enough of these family attractions. Instead we will probably have to spend a fair chunk of time at Disney - Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Kiliminjaro Safari, Soarin', etc ...

Goto Seaworld instead.

UNI has aimed its demographic at the able bodied... USO used to have more sit down stuff that was less intense.. but those are slowly getting eaten away at. UNI is not necessarily desirable for all demographics... including families with primarily small children.

It is what it is..

danpam1024

Goto Seaworld instead.

UNI has aimed its demographic at the able bodied... USO used to have more sit down stuff that was less intense.. but those are slowly getting eaten away at. UNI is not necessarily desirable for all demographics... including families with primarily small children.

It is what it is..
The lack of MASSIVE amounts of ECVs and strollers is clue #1 :D

JassiSidhu2000

Original Poster
I didn't mean emotionally scary attraction - but the rather the physical restraints. My parents, and yes to that extent small children in my family won't be attracted to attractions that speed up fast, have drops, go upside down, large excessive twists and turns.

Whilst, i myself do appreciate these attractions and love them. For the first time i do see a flaw in the Universal business model - and for the first time i can see why families are sometimes a little downbeat on Universal.

For example, just because a ride has no drop, or doesn't go full force acceleration doesn't mean it has to be a cheap lame static attraction. The attractions like 'Forbbiden Journey' COULD have had some segments tamed down to make them family attractions. As someone said, there may have been an option for a 'light' version on these attractions.

imperius

I don't get how the Harry Potter rides aren't family friendly. Plenty of families goes on these rides, just because it isn't grandma friendly doesn't mean it isn't family friendly.

Toning down rides in order to fit 100% of people isn't what Universl does and I'm happy about that.

JT3000

The attractions like 'Forbbiden Journey' COULD have had some segments tamed down to make them family attractions.

It was tamed down, several times in fact, but they can only do so much. You have to keep a certain range of motion or it becomes a waste of the ride system. They were already refraining from having it do inversions, something it's entirely capable of doing in too many ways to count.

I know that I personally was extremely nauseous the first time I rode. Now it rarely bothers me.

Giving some vehicles a less intense ride profile than others isn't an option, as it would destroy the ride's capacity. It doesn't have two separate sides a la Mission: Space.

JassiSidhu2000

Original Poster
It was tamed down, several times in fact, but they can only do so much. You have to keep a certain range of motion or it becomes a waste of the ride system. They were already refraining from having it do inversions, something it's entirely capable of doing in too many ways to count.

I know that I personally was extremely nauseous the first time I rode. Now it rarely bothers me.

Giving some vehicles a less intense ride profile than othetrs isn't an option, as it would destroy the ride's capacity. It doesn't have two separate sides a la Mission: Space.

The hardest part of 'Forbidden Journey' is when the seats roll back and forward during that small segment ... that small segement essentially rules the attractions out for those who don't like 'thrill rides'.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom