Not a Clue

graphite1326

Original Poster
My wife wants to spend a day at Universal during our next WDW vacation. I have no clue about universal. Could someone give me a schedule on what to see there. We are older so we won't be doing intense coasters. However, we do RnRoller coaster and Tot all the time. Love them. We want to go to both parks and do as much as possible in one day.

I need to start somewhere. Little help please?

RonAnnArbor

There are lots of books out there that cover it -- including Beyond Disney: The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando Sea World, and The Best of Central Florida, and Independent Guide to Universal Orlando 2015...

There is far too much to cover in a simple posting here --- you can also do a search through the universal forums in here...

IN general you CAN do both parks in one day. Their own website is a good place to start. The hours very as much as they do at WDW so you have to check their website for hours of opening from day to day.

There is plenty to do for all ages -- but the parks are built around thrills. The shows pale in comparison to WDW's , and even doing both parks you will probably run out of things to do by late afternoon, especially if you don't do all the coasters and you get started at park opening. As a general point of reference, Universal Studios is built around entertainment (think DHS on steroids), while Islands of adventure is built around thrill rides.

I go about every 8 or 9 years just to see what is new. Frankly, one visit a decade at Universal is enough for me. I spent most of my time this past winter's visit doing the Harry Potter stuff - starting at Diagon Alley in US and then taking the train over to IOA to do the Potter stuff there...

graphite1326

Original Poster
There are lots of books out there that cover it -- including Beyond Disney: The Unofficial Guide to Universal Orlando Sea World, and The Best of Central Florida, and Independent Guide to Universal Orlando 2015...

There is far too much to cover in a simple posting here --- you can also do a search through the universal forums in here...

IN general you CAN do both parks in one day. Their own website is a good place to start. The hours very as much as they do at WDW so you have to check their website for hours of opening from day to day.

There is plenty to do for all ages -- but the parks are built around thrills. The shows pale in comparison to WDW's , and even doing both parks you will probably run out of things to do by late afternoon, especially if you don't do all the coasters and you get started at park opening. As a general point of reference, Universal Studios is built around entertainment (think DHS on steroids), while Islands of adventure is built around thrill rides.

I go about every 8 or 9 years just to see what is new. Frankly, one visit a decade at Universal is enough for me. I spent most of my time this past winter's visit doing the Harry Potter stuff - starting at Diagon Alley in US and then taking the train over to IOA to do the Potter stuff there...
Really, I will be done by late afternoon? I just read here on another post that both parks are about the size of EPCOT. I just looked at the price and am not sure if it is worth it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Really, I will be done by late afternoon? I just read here on another post that both parks are about the size of EPCOT. I just looked at the price and am not sure if it is worth it.

You could see the highlights in one day, but you defiantly can't do both parks justice in that time. I don't ride any of the big coasters at Uni but I still can easily fill two full days there, especially with the new Harry Potter area. If you see nothing else, be sure to check out this area in both parks, it's extremely well done. If you do Rock n Roller Coaster you should be ok with the Gringotts ride, but be sure to read up on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey since it's a pretty unique ride system so it's hard to judge whether you will be ok with it or not. Be sure to check out the restaurant offerings in City Walk. There are a few good resturants in the parks, but there are a lot more good ones in City Walk.

Personally I think it is worth checking out at least once. We set aside at least 2 days out of our Disney trips now for Universal.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Totally worth the price! You could do both parks in one day just like you AK and DHS in one day but you aren't really doing both parks just highlights. You won't be done by early afternoon. You can totally fill a whole day.

lazyboy97o

If you do Rock 'n Rollercoaster then Dragon Challenge is probably the only coaster that would be significantly more intense. The parks are worth just exploring (as they aren't "coaster parks"), don't go in with a list to complete and leave. Theme parks are not designed for that sort of visit.

Last edited:

BrianV

Since we first went to universal about 4 years ago we've become huge fans. We've been every year and will actually be going twice this year. (Maybe three times if I can work magic and convince my wife).

Typically we spend two full days and part of a third day (a travel day) with a park-to-park ticket though this year since we were making two trips we bought season passes. They also give hotel discounts depending on the season.

Far less, if any, advanced planning is needed compared to wdw. If you aren't in the absolutely crazy season, restaurant reservations aren't really needed, especially if you are willing to eat a little off hours.

Worth considering staying one night at their cheapest deluxe hotel (royal pacific) as you get express passes (similar to fast passes) for most rides throughout both parks. And the hotels are lovely, close to if not at the level of the deluxes at wdw, only cheaper.

We skip many of the thrill rides as I'm no big fan. But there are plenty of rides at or below the level of tot or rnr coaster. (For example, we don't go on either of those either.)

The location makes for easy returning to the hotels for an afternoon swim and relaxing and then returning at night, though the parks close by 10 or earlier most nights (many nights 8, when we visit in august, 9pm).

Happy to answer more specific questions.

Tinkerkelle

Another big fan! Great rides and theming. Love that everything is walking distance. Table service dining so much more reasonably priced and no need for ADRs booked 6 months in advance. So much going on with new projects too. We do split stays to take advantage of onsite perks at WDW and at Uni. Perks so much better at Uni - unlimited express passes (with deluxe hotels which are comparable with moderate Disney pricing), early entry, etc. So looking forward to Diagon Alley and Cowfish in October. This year was going to be our last trip for a few years then they announce a water park!!! And Skull Island opens next year!!! And they have nintendo!!!

BrianV

Give me the highlights I only have 1 day

For me personally*: IOA-- spider man is awesome, as is hp forbidden journey and all of hogsmeade. All of Seuss land is great. Toon world fun but gets you really wet. Jurrasic park ride was fun. (We don't like the scary coasters of the dragon challenge! the hulk! or the FearFall). Mythos nice place for lunch. For US -- gringotts, the mummy, Simpsons, dispicable me are all great. Mib is fun shooting gallery ride. Laser /water/fireworks show at night is cool. Finally, you need a park hopping pass to take the hogwarts express.

*my opinions might differ from yours.

JohnHangen

For me personally*: IOA-- spider man is awesome, as is hp forbidden journey and all of hogsmeade. All of Seuss land is great. Toon world fun but gets you really wet. Jurrasic park ride was fun. (We don't like the scary coasters of the dragon challenge! the hulk! or the FearFall). Mythos nice place for lunch. For US -- gringotts, the mummy, Simpsons, dispicable me are all great. Mib is fun shooting gallery ride. Laser /water/fireworks show at night is cool. Finally, you need a park hopping pass to take the hogwarts express.

*my opinions might differ from yours.
Mel's diner.

graphite1326

Original Poster
Well I have been going thru videos of Universal. It reminds me a lot of Hershey park in Pennsylvania. Hershey has a lot of coasters that I have ridden. These look tame compared to the ones at Hershey. They also have the 3d rides really similar to the Harry Potter ride. Hershey entertainment is one of the best though. They have one show of tap dancers with an Irish Pub theme. Best show I have ever seen at any park (Sorry Disney). I am kinda up in the air now, unless someone here has gone to Hershey and tells me Universal is better.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Well I have been going thru videos of Universal. It reminds me a lot of Hershey park in Pennsylvania. Hershey has a lot of coasters that I have ridden. These look tame compared to the ones at Hershey. They also have the 3d rides really similar to the Harry Potter ride. Hershey entertainment is one of the best though. They have one show of tap dancers with an Irish Pub theme. Best show I have ever seen at any park (Sorry Disney). I am kinda up in the air now, unless someone here has gone to Hershey and tells me Universal is better.
I've been to both. Hershey is nice, but more akin to a Six Flags. While Universal appears similar on the surface, it is much different (as of the additions they've made).

I'm gonna have to go with Uni being the better park.

Frankie The Beer

My wife wants to spend a day at Universal during our next WDW vacation. I have no clue about universal. Could someone give me a schedule on what to see there. We are older so we won't be doing intense coasters. However, we do RnRoller coaster and Tot all the time. Love them. We want to go to both parks and do as much as possible in one day.

I need to start somewhere. Little help please?

You want a good answer? Just do one park, either Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios. Don't rush through both, take your time and do one at your leisure. See if you like the one, next vacation do the other or then do both. You will also save a little money by not park hopping. Personally, I prefer the Studios park, but both are excellent. You really can't go wrong.

Disneyhead'71

Universal is much closer to and even exceeding Disney in many ways than Hershey park. And I guarentee you the Hershey does not have ANYTHING like Gringott's. WDW doesn't have anything like Gringott's. And between the 2 parks, they only have 3 big coasters. the parks at UOR aren't coaster parks. No more that DHS is a coaster park.

Here is the short list of highlights.

USF:

Dispicable Me: Minion Mayhem
Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket (less intense that (RnR)
Mummy
Transformers
ET
Simpsons
Men In Black
Gringott's
Hogwarts Express

IOA:

Forbidden Journey
Dragon Challenge (2- 5 loop inverted coaster)
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Spider-man
Hulk (7 loop launched coaster)
Cat in the Hat

And here is how I would blast my way through the parks in one day.

First you need a park to park pass. Enter USF first. Go in this order.

Mummy
Transformers
ET
Simpsons
Men in Black
Gringott's
Hogwarts Express
Forbidden Journey
Jurassic Park River Adventure
Spider-man
Hulk
Cat in the Hat
Hogwarts Express again (different effects each way)
Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket
Dispicable Me

That would be one VERY full day.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom