Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Adventurer
An excerpt from How Disney Milks its Hits for Profits Ever After, from the Wall Street Journal:

Purists may scoff at putting sentient snowmen in a park meant to “entertain with a purpose,” as Disney’s chief executive described Epcot when it opened in 1982.

But Disney executives point out that “Frozen” is tied to Scandinavian art and culture, adding that millions more people will likely visit Norway and the rest of the World Showcase just to experience the new four-minute ride.

“We have to be careful not be too doctrinaire when we apply these principles,” said Mr. Staggs.

Essentially, Staggs states that upholding the original mission of Epcot is impractical.
Clearly, Staggs is in need of...
slap.gif

JohnD

Jillian on June 9th, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Enough with Frozen already. I come to Disney World to see Disney, not just Frozen. Everywhere you go now it’s all about Frozen. The whole summer party and castle show in MK, there was a whole ice skating rink in HS, now you’re tearing down a tribute to a beautiful country to shove more Frozen in there. I think AK is the only one that’s safe anymore. Stop. With. Frozen.

PhotoDave219

An excerpt from How Disney Milks its Hits for Profits Ever After, from the Wall Street Journal:

Purists may scoff at putting sentient snowmen in a park meant to “entertain with a purpose,” as Disney’s chief executive described Epcot when it opened in 1982.

But Disney executives point out that “Frozen” is tied to Scandinavian art and culture, adding that millions more people will likely visit Norway and the rest of the World Showcase just to experience the new four-minute ride.

“We have to be careful not be too doctrinaire when we apply these principles,” said Mr. Staggs.

Essentially, Staggs states that upholding the original mission of Epcot is impractical.

I posted the entire article in the spirit thread, for those who wanna read it.

FerretAfros

Which Disney blogger is calling himself Kevin today while trying to save his own job?

1. Kevin
    40 mins ago
    I love that this is being done in a culturally sensitive way, and will continue to inspire future generations to learn about the exciting and diverse countries of the world around them. It fits in perfectly with Norwegian heritage, and helps to further the mission of the park. It’s edutanement at its finest!
That would be me! I'm not a Disney blogger, nor do I have any ties to the company that would require any sort of saving
That's a new level of sarcasm....
That's what I was going for! I figured that the moderators might show up at some point and try to clean things up, so I went with a post that sounded positive to a clueless PR drone. In the past, they've struggled to read between the lines of anything
Actually, I read it as very tongue in cheek, dripping with sarcasm.
I'm glad it read that way! I was trying to walk the tightrope between saccharine sweetness for DPB approval, while still squeezing in plenty of snark ;)

Brer Panther

Jillian on June 9th, 2015 at 2:19 pm
Enough with Frozen already. I come to Disney World to see Disney, not just Frozen. Everywhere you go now it’s all about Frozen. The whole summer party and castle show in MK, there was a whole ice skating rink in HS, now you’re tearing down a tribute to a beautiful country to shove more Frozen in there. I think AK is the only one that’s safe anymore. Stop. With. Frozen.

So how long until they remove that comment?

JohnD

That would be me! I'm not a Disney blogger, nor do I have any ties to the company that would require any sort of saving

That's what I was going for! I figured that the moderators might show up at some point and try to clean things up, so I went with a post that sounded positive to a clueless PR drone. In the past, they've struggled to read between the lines of anything

I'm glad it read that way! I was trying to walk the tightrope between saccharine sweetness for DPB approval, while still squeezing in plenty of snark ;)

Except there are quite a few negative posts there. I think that the new Frozen ride isn't universally loved within the employee ranks. Even when talking to CMs standing outside the closed Maelstrom, when I mentioned that Disney can't seem to decide whether the area is Norway or Arendale, a CM just said, "Yeah" as if understanding my point.

Ignohippo

Okay, first of all, I hate the attraction's name. "Frozen Ever After"? What does that even MEAN?

Second, what, exactly, is the story supposed to be? I didn't see a story. It's just... See Olaf and Sven. See the Head Troll. See Elsa singing. See Marshmallow. Anna doesn't even appear until the final scene. The Pooh ride at Disneyland has a clearer story than this, and that can essentially be summed up as, "The weather's lousy, somebody put something weird in Pooh's honey, and now it's his birthday"!

Admittedly, I do like the idea of having Marshmallow make an appearance... And having the queue pass through Wandering Oaken's.

Because the song is popular and they needed to shoehorn it in. Really, it's not even that good of a song. I prefer THIS version over Idina Menzel's:

Besides, wasn't there a "Shrek Ever After" already.

So they can't even come up with an original name...

Flippin'Flounder

That's the only one I would really be ok with since it seems so similar to Cranium Command. Also Nemo having some kind of presence in the Seas but the current ride there is pretty mediocre. Some people have said there are rumors of Good Dinosaur replacing UoE. If so, :banghead: That would be much better replacing Chester & Hester in AK.
I take it that this was sarcasm?

JohnD

More comments have been posted, like this one:

Diane from IL on June 9th, 2015 at 4:23 pm
As nice as this might be I still do not get what this has to do with the International Showcase. Will Disney start to get rid of all the real countries and ruin the meaning behind that part of Epcot? The confusion is not with the ride but where it is located.

danheaton

It also doesn't help that WDI can't spend money efficiently. I hate to beat on the dead horse, but Universal's expansions all pay for themselves quickly because Universal doesn't have incredibly bloated budgets like WDI does. There's no reason Little Mermaid should have been a more expensive attraction than Forbidden Journey.

I used to work for a giant company, and everything was so inefficient. They lacked the ability to get anything done because there were so many layers of leadership. I feel like there are a lot of connections to how things are working at Disney right now. Staggs actually considers 18 months for an overlay to be an achievement! It's frustrating because we can see an example of how things can work right down I-4. They've had a few glitches with Gringotts, but they were able to set up that whole land in less time than it took to build the 7DMT.

PhotoDave219

So... lets assume for a minute that Frozenstrom gives Epcot a (much needed) 20% attendance boost (and i forget where I heard that, just go with it).....

2014 TEA Estimates have the crowd at 11.229M guests, a 20% bump gives them 13.744M guests/year, works out to 37600 guests/day or an extra 6300 guests/day over 2014 numbers (which is 32000 guests/day)

We've already established that between the M&G and the Ride, we're looking at only serving in the ballpark of 15,000 guests per day over a 12 hour day. Separating those out? 10800 for the ride, 4300 for the M&G.

You're going to have some seriously angry people because they just paid a fortune to come stand in line all day long for their 10 year old to ride frozen OR they just paid a fortune to see a four hour long line for frozen and now their 10 year old is in tears.

The supply will not meet demand by any stretch of the imagination.

And honestly, Frozen deserves better.

Edit: Frozen is only adding 360(ish)/guests per hour with their M&G. Lets not kid ourselves here. This is not some massive expansion. We're taking the lowest capacity ride in the park (900/hr) and theming it to the hottest property Disney has (as or right now, that will change December 18th)

Clamman73

You're going to have some seriously angry people because they just paid a fortune to come stand in line all day long for their 10 year old to ride frozen OR they just paid a fortune to see a four hour long line for frozen and now their 10 year old is in tears.

The supply will not meet demand by any stretch of the imagination.

Yes...The margarita stand not too far away will not be able to keep up with demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom