Norway Pavilion Frozen construction - Frozen Ever After ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Are you talking about transformers that is basically just 3D screens... no surprise that it took 11 months

The permits were filed for the Soarin' addition/expansion in November of 2014... it's now February of 2016 (15 month later) with it looking like it will be at least until June before it is opened (19 months after permits were filed). The Soarin' addition is literally just one single screen in a "warehouse" with the ride system (no physical props/theming whatsoever and everything within the theater is a 1:1 clone of the two other theaters they already have at EPCOT (which I'd assume are more or less identical to the two theaters they have in Anaheim and the two more they are building in Shanghai). With two hour plus lines, I'd be hard pressed to argue that this wouldn't be a top priority addition, and yet it's going to take nearly twice as long to build this relatively minor addition compared to the Transformer's attraction...

The Frozen "makeover"... as someone so eloquently before put it, is moving at a "glacial" pace...

A foolish mortal

The permits were filed for the Soarin' addition/expansion in November of 2014... it's now February of 2016 (15 month later) with it looking like it will be at least until June before it is opened (19 months after permits were filed). The Soarin' addition is literally just one single screen in a "warehouse" with the ride system (no physical props/theming whatsoever and everything within the theater is a 1:1 clone of the two other theaters they already have at EPCOT (which I'd assume are more or less identical to the two theaters they have in Anaheim and the two more they are building in Shanghai). With two hour plus lines, I'd be hard pressed to argue that this wouldn't be a top priority addition, and yet it's going to take nearly twice as long to build this relatively minor addition compared to the Transformer's attraction...

The Frozen "makeover"... as someone so eloquently before put it, is moving at a "glacial" pace...

Okay, you got me ;) Im not saying that Disney is super fast at building stuff - they're not.. but i just feel like Disney have more variety in their rides than uni. That was my point.. not how long it took :p But I do see your point and i do agree.

doctornick

So why did so many people say they loved it when they decided to take it down?

Maelstrom was always one of my favorite rides at WDW and I'm sad to see it go. It was a great mix of mythology, history and modern. Sure, it could have been longer but what was actually there was quite enjoyable -- engaging dialogue, quality show scenes, a modicum of thrills. I wish all the Epcot pavilions had rides as "bad" at Maelstrom.

I'm actually one of the people who is far more bothered by losing Maelstrom than by having Frozen at the Norway pavilion -- if they had kept Maelstrom, but built Frozen Ever After as an expansion (where the M&G is going), I'd have been cool with that.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Yeah. Because a meet and greet is worth working on 24/7.
I dont think Disney considers anything worthy of a 24/7 construction. They dont even consider it important to have a proper timeline of closing attractions to keep a park worthy of its admission price while they play catch up. Epcot has 2 of its 4 Tier 1 attractions currently closed (and its pathetic that Living with the Land is Tier 1) and Hollywood Studios is currently a 1/3 day park. But its ok, people will excuse their horrible planning because they FINALLY decided to do something, and whats sad is that it wasnt even truly for the "guest experience". Everything theyve decided to build (including NFL) is because what happened up the street.

If Potter had not been built and been so awesome, I doubt Disney would have done much more than paint and M&G's over the last 8 years.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I dont think Disney considers anything worthy of a 24/7 construction.

That is the strategy they have chosen to take. Uni seems to have taken a different approach in recent, maybe out of necessity..maybe not. To me, it makes sense that Uni has built quickly recently. Probably a smart strategy considering where they were before HP. I can second guess both strategies all day long. There are things that Disney has/hasn't done that I am not happy with. There are things they have done that I am happy with. And moving forward, it seems there will be more things I will be happy with.

Bringing this post back to the thread's topic as I personally want to move past the Uni-WDW comparisons that pop up everywhere....we are kidding ourselves if we say maelstrom was a great attraction. It needed to be replaced. Just not with this. Now that that ship has sailed, I am hoping this attractions turns out to be decent even if it is misplaced. It would suck to be stuck with a horrible attraction. I am also hoping they keep this pavilion as Norway, as much as possible. It would be an even greater disservice to the country if they didn't than putting in a Frozen attraction.

Cesar R M

Yeah. Because a meet and greet is worth working on 24/7.
is.. seriously.. that.. your.. excuse?

dear god!!! :banghead:

So why did so many people say they loved it when they decided to take it down?
Why are you beating a dead horse? the explanation has been repeated ad nauseam.

Okay, you got me ;) Im not saying that Disney is super fast at building stuff - they're not.. but i just feel like Disney have more variety in their rides than uni. That was my point.. not how long it took :p But I do see your point and i do agree.

What kind of variety are we talking about? the track type? system type? or just because they have "screens" ?

Disney Analyst

is.. seriously.. that.. your.. excuse?

dear god!!! :banghead:

Why are you beating a dead horse? the explanation has been repeated ad nauseam.

What kind of variety are we talking about? the track type? system type? or just because they have "screens" ?

Well let's get real about UNI for a second, which I really do love those parks... but everything new...

Forbidden Journey (great mix of both but still..): Screens.
Gringotts: Screens
Transformers: Screens
King Kong: Screens
Jimmy Fallon: Screens

What else am I missing that's coming soon...

They've been building great rides, but it's just time to innovate a wee bit more. The ride systems are great, but I want more Physical experiences, less virtual.

The one thing we can all give Disney props for is that they've been pretty good at not making screen heavy attractions.. yes some do have them, but for the most part the new stuff has all been purely physical environments, which is what I expect from a theme park such as Disney, and Universal.

So, as we can see through the construction progress.. Disney is still great at creating wonderfully themed buildings, and rides... (trying to keep on track here...)

wdwtopten

Well let's get real about UNI for a second, which I really do love those parks... but everything new...

Forbidden Journey (great mix of both but still..): Screens.
Gringotts: Screens
Transformers: Screens
King Kong: Screens
Jimmy Fallon: Screens

What else am I missing that's coming soon...

They've been building great rides, but it's just time to innovate a wee bit more. The ride systems are great, but I want more Physical experiences, less virtual.

The one thing we can all give Disney props for is that they've been pretty good at not making screen heavy attractions.. yes some do have them, but for the most part the new stuff has all been purely physical environments, which is what I expect from a theme park such as Disney, and Universal.

So, as we can see through the construction progress.. Disney is still great at creating wonderfully themed buildings, and rides... (trying to keep on track here...)

Good point about the type of rides Universal is building vs the type Disney is building, but it doesn't explain something like Soarin' (screen) or the 3rd TSMM track (clone) taking a very long time to build.

Also, with something like the HP expansion...it is much more than screens, on the whole. The train ride and Diagon Alley in general is quite a bit of theming. Also, regarding Forbidden Journey...to call that mainly screens, as it seems you have above, it very disingenuous. There isn't another ride around that uses the mixture of tech that that ride does to such marvelous result.

A foolish mortal

Also, with something like the HP expansion...it is much more than screens, on the whole. The train ride and Diagon Alley in general is quite a bit of theming. Also, regarding Forbidden Journey...to call that mainly screens, as it seems you have above, it very disingenuous. There isn't another ride around that uses the mixture of tech that that ride does to such marvelous result.

You still have to agree that there are still screen used at those attractions. The Hogwarts express: Screens (windows)..., Gringotts: Screens, Forbidden Journey: Screens (that makes you dizzy). I think Forbidden Journey would have been a lot better without the screens :) Everything else feels so real... :/

A foolish mortal

Also, with something like the HP expansion...it is much more than screens, on the whole. The train ride and Diagon Alley in general is quite a bit of theming.
But I agree. Diagon Alley on the whole (minus the ride) is just amazing. I think this is the best part of both parks :)

Rodan75

I would love to see the project plan for this project. I don't buy that they are purposely going slow. I wonder if the mid-level managers/directors/leaders of this project even knew how they could compress the timeline without cutting corners or raising costs.

I don't buy into the rando conspiracy theories folks throw around, but I do believe in bad project management and poor leadership in middle management. And given that this isn't Star Wars or Shanghai, I bet no one pressed for faster.

A foolish mortal

The lighting additions over the last year or two at FJ do show how much of a physical, built environment there is in there. There's a lot more than just screens. Surprised even me. Some of the sets are gorgeous.
Yes exactly! Thats why it would have been nice to not have those screens in there.. i feel like they ruin what is gorgeous in there... :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom