Trip Report Complete! No, we are not on the dining plan. Tales of the Grimm, Grinning Ghosts

Thanks for joining in! If you missed my Pre trip report enjoy it below
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/these-grimm-grinning-ghosts-are-out-to-socialize.888398/

Universal

September 18th below Post #1
September 19th Post #3
September 20th Post #4
Review of The Royal Pacific Resort Post #5
Universal Overall: The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly Post #6
September 21st -Here we come Bay Lake Tower Post #9
California Grill Post #10
Magic Kindgom Days 1 & 2
The Plaza lunch Post #13
Magic Kindgom Cont. Post #14
Wolfgang Puck dinner Post #18
Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride! Post #19
Epcot Post #22
Via Napoli Lunch Post #23
Citricos Post #25
Hollywood Studios Day 2 Post #26
Mama Melrose's Post #27
House of Blues Post #28
Kona Cafe Breakfast Post #29
Magic Kingdom Post #30
Tony's Town Square Post #31
Artist Point Post #32
Animal Kingdom Post #33
Wolfgang Puck Express & DTD Post #34
Tutto Italia Post #35
Beach Club Review Post #36
Hollywood Studios 2nd Day Post #38
Brown Derby Post #39
Teppan Edo Post #40
Epcot: The Last Day Post #45
Via Napoli Post #49
Les Chefs de France Post #50
Captain's Grill Post #44
Boat Transportation Post #51
The way home... Post #52
Overall Impressions & Closing Remarks Post #53

September 18th

The wake up call went off at 5:00 AM and the 3 of us managed to be ready to hop on the airport shuttle in under an hour. CLE was bustling for this time of time, but with all of the business travelers it can be buzzing at this hour. The trip was smooth sailing-beautiful weather and no delays.

The flight arrived in Orlando a little after 10, we grabbed the bags then debated about which rental car to take. A red mini van seemed to have the most space for our suitcases and the captain’s style chairs in the back seat, which are more comfortable than your typical bench style seat. After packing her up we were off to I-Drive.

A bagel doesn’t hold your appetite too long, so we stopped at IHOP for some breakfast. Not an experience I’d like to repeat ha ha, just very crowded and so so prepared food. We usually have pretty good luck at IHOP, but nothing grosses me out more than runny egg white and hair on my toast plate!

We arrived at the Royal Pacific Resort a little after 11 and just parking the car to pre check in was a pain. There isn’t a lot of space for leaving your car a few moments, but you can’t even self park your car unless you had a ticket from the front desk. So how the heck can I go check on my room quick if there is no place to leave my car. Then they want your keys, which I understand if they need to move your car, but flagging someone down after check in was another pain in the bottom. They always want to unload your car and take your luggage to storage-we aren’t really sold on that idea ever. I like to have my things where I can get them when I need them, not locked up out of my sight.

So check in was a long painful process. I didn’t expect our room to be ready at that time, but I thought we could have used the gift cards at that time. Nope, so now we have to carry them around at the park. Ok so they will text you when the room is ready, that’s fine.

My DF had purchased tickets on line to save $20 as they advertised. Well he couldn’t print them out off the PDF, not that wasn’t something we could have remedied at home-like say- how about I take care of it? So printing out the park tickets took forever. Then you have to take your room key and get the express pass ticket with your picture on it. So, you have to have your room key, your park ticket, and your express pass with you to and fro. I couldn’t wait to get a Magic Band! OMG it is so much easier than having to pull out your park ticket, tuck it back in your wallet or pull out your lanyard that has the express pass safely stored.

That afternoon we managed to get over to Universal Studios and hit a few favorites like Men In Black, Minion Mayhem and explore most of Diagon Alley. The line for Gringott’s was over 40 minutes and I figured we would hit it first thing in the morning Friday. After a few hours of fun I got the text notification that our room was ready. After unloading the car our luggage was handed off to bell services, which grinds my gears, but for a resort of that size I can see the need to have different staff handle outside and inside bagged carts. The gentleman that brought the bags to the room was awesome-friendly and courteous.

Bridge from MIB looking towards Diagon Alley
Diagon Alley by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

King's Cross Station by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Disaster by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We took the boat back over to City Walk for dinner and it had started to rain, much like everything other day on the trip. We all voted for Antojitos since we love Mexican food. There was a bit of a line, but we check in and gave our number so they could text us when the table was ready. After waiting about 20 minutes and seeing a huge line get smaller and smaller, DM went to check on our table. We they had been seating people! Like why did you bother taking our number and what did you think I gave it to you for?! So finally we were seated and we waited. And we waited so more. Finally one of the hosts happened to catch DM’s evil eye and a server came running over to help us.

He was a great server and our food was very good. The mariachi band did a mix of traditional and cover songs like Call Me Maybe and Rude. They were entertaining for sure! The food could have been hotter, but everything was delicious. I just can’t figure out why the service is so lacking.

Coming up next Friday Sept. 19

Last edited:

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Happy you had a better experience at Cali Grill! It's my favorite. I always used to order the pork tenderloin on the old menu, they will still serve it that way if you ask for it. But I'm now hooked on their new filet. We loved that BLT flatbread too, so yummy. My favorite sushi roll there is Spicy Kazon, mmmmm! Enjoying your meal reviews, keep it coming! :)

yes totally excited CG was a perfect experience! It is a fun place to dine especially with two observation decks now :)

LowesChevy

Original Poster
September 23--Epcot

Epcot was opening early today, but there was no rush to get there that early! It would have been nice in retrospect considering we didn’t ride Test Track till our last day, but with the trip coming up in January there will be plenty of Epcot opening day time.

We had our usual breakfast at The Wave, but I had the buffet this time. I was feeling rather puckish and couldn’t decide on just one thing. It seemed like we had good timing and it was 8:35 AM, so we walked right over to the bus stop. Luckily someone else was inquiring about the bus to Epcot and the CM standing there said the last one had been there 10 minutes ago. I assumed since it was well before 9:00 AM that another bus would be there soon, but no. Up to the monorail station about 20 of us went and apparently the monorail did start earlier bases on the Magic Hours, but that really conflicted with anything you read on the boards. An “okay, whatever.” Moment if you will.

We finally arrived at Epcot and TT was offering a 30 minute stand by, but Soarin’ was rather reasonable at 20 minutes. The is the great thing about FP+, you no longer have to be at the rope drop to get a FP unless you want to ride standby. You no longer have to worry about structuring the morning after you get your FP. Soarin’ was good and we actually volunteered to go early-I always listen to how many people the CM is looking for and jump for it lol!

Afterward we went on The Land and then off to The Seas with Nemo and Friends. The queue is really neat, but it seems like a lot of wasted space, but I realize they had to design it around an existing ride they removed. I remember watching that darn pre ride movie many a time-“and it rained, and it rained, and it rained…ding! We explored the Seas pavilion for a while. I enjoy watching the manatees eat the heads of romaine in 10 seconds. The eel tank is a fun place to watch people get creeped out too.

Get me a monorail!

Spaceship Earth by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The Seas with Nemo & Friends by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Our next FP was for Journey…sigh. By the time we got off the World Showcase was open. We headed right for Canada to watch the 360 show, but now you enter through by Le Cellier? The top part of the pavilion was closed for something or other. Still a funny show, which we missed last year, and I would certainly love to visit some of those places someday. We used to visit Niagara Falls and Toronto a lot when my brother and I were younger especially, but then we got old lol. We loved attending the Canadian National Exhibition, but our school district began starting school earlier and earlier unfortunately.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/...he-grimm-grinning-ghosts.891087/#post-6382182

We wandered around the United Kingdom and DF went over to the Pub for a beer, since the outer bar wasn’t opened yet. Like he is going to wait right?! I have been sad ever since Liverpool FC signed a deal with Warrior and they no longer have LFC stuff in the Sportman’s Shoppe. However the Guinness items are very nice and I like the old Beatles and other British Invasion shirts in the back shops. I wanted to get some Mars bars and other chocolates, but it was awfully hot and I didn’t feel like eating the bar right then. Another bucket item for January. I noticed a lot of merchandise turnover in the Tea Caddy and a lot more coffee mugs etc.

Rose & Crown by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

France is always bustling and trying to get a photo of an unspoiled fountain is tough! I do love how they expanded the bakery last year because the old Les Halles grew extremely popular. We saw Impressions De France last year, so a quick view of the French goodies and we were off to Maelstrom! We actually rode the Friendship because mum was not about walking that far, but I don’t think it saved much time just energy.

I remember when they had first built Maelstrom and it was a huge thrill! This tells you how far they have some with rides. The line would be super long just like it has been recently with the FP muck. It still feels like a classic to me and I know that rides need to change over time, but I dislike the direction they are taking it! Turrible! I snapped some good photos and panoramas of the mural for keepsakes. Unfortunately, it shall be the last…..

Norway: Trolls by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The wait was shorter than I expected, but our reservation was coming up shortly and we decided to head to Italy. It was good we did because about the time we arrived and got in line to check in there was a downpour! Guests were scurrying everywhere to seek shelter. If you are in Italy, you are very lucky since Tutto Gusto is right there for walk in service!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Via Napoli: lunch

We arrived early and checked in with the front desk. It looked pretty busy, but there were many open tables. It was not long before they called us to be seated though and we were taken to a table across from the community table. The water fellow came over and DF tried to order beer when he was asking about water lol. Elena arrived to introduce herself and we went ahead with our order.

Via Napoli by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We went with our favorite pollo salad and a large sausage pie. The salads may look expensive, but between the 3 of us it costs about what the house salad cost per person. This salad has a sweet and tangy taste and there is plenty of crunch from the cucumbers and crispy wonton garnish. There is also cantaloupe, which is kind of weird in a salad, but it adds a nice sweetness to the tangy after bite.

Via Napoli: Pollo salad by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

As we were finishing our last bites of salad our pie arrived. The large piccante-or spicy sausage pie looked very well cooked. Sometimes it gets a little too charred for my liking, but this one was perfect. They call it piccante which is as I understand a spicy sausage, but I don’t detect too much heat from the finely ground meat. My only complaint was that the pizza was slightly soggy in the middle, I don’t know if it sat too long or didn’t get crisped enough in the oven. We only left two slices, so I would definitely say a large pie is most likely enough for 2-3 people sans and appetizer.

Via Napoli: Sausage Pizza by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We couldn’t resist the zeppole for dessert. They are excellent here! I have no time for gelato or any other nonsense, just give me the deep fried fritters-omg! They come with chocolate ganache and freshly whipped barely sweetened whipped cream. Judging from the recipe they look similar to choux pastry and are known as Italian doughnuts. Deep fried butter and eggs-how can you go wrong?

Via Napoli: Zeppole by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The busser took our bottle of Aqua Panna water and didn’t bother to pour the rest in one of our glasses, so that was mildly annoying and wasteful. It wasn’t a lot of water, but enough for a few last gulps. Other than that lunch was great, service was good.

****4 Stars

LowesChevy

Original Poster
It finally had quit raining-lunch was perfect timing! We lingered around Italy a little more and then made our way back to the monorail. There was a high chance of rain later on and the radar didn’t look good!

DF and I decided to put on our bathing suits and head down to the pool while DM was taking a nap. We weren’t there too long and the rain began, then heavier rain, so we grabbed a table over at the bar and had a drink. A Corona, a pina colava and a meat and cheese plate, well what they called a plate, but it wasn’t bad or anything. Shortly after that it was deluging and lighting was spotted so the CM had to clear the pool deck. Luckily we were with some other folks and they knew how to take the back door to the stairs!

I snapped this photograph of a ferry coming over to assist with MNSSHP crowds later in the afternoon, but I felt bad for party goers tonight because it was awful! I was glad we had a reservation at Citricos for dinner and we didn’t have to worry about getting wet at all. Good planning- I patted myself on the back lol.

We got prettied up and made our way over to the Contemporary. I figured we needed some extra time in case the monorails were jammed up and they sure were! It was rainy, wet and there were people everywhere, we ended up waiting for another monorail as all of the cars were full heading from the Magic Kingdom with guests leaving. Eventually we boarded and made it all the way to the Grand Floridian.

Dinner at Citricos next!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Citricos

There was plenty of time before our adr time so we meandered around the lobby for a while listening to the band play. The shops here too have noticeably less merchandise than years past. M. Mercantile seemed very empty and it looked as though the adult clothing had disappeared altogether. We didn’t stop at the lower level men’s and ladies shops to see if they expanded their Disney wear, but maybe they had.

The lobby was dead at Citricos when I checked in for our adr. It was still pouring rain outside and very few people were venturing out on property. Our table was ready in minutes and we were taken to the central section of the restaurant given a view of both the courtyard and the kitchen. Adrian came over within seconds to introduce herself and offer us a cocktail. I was adventurous tonight and went with a Mickey Mouse.

Mickey Mouse

Mickey Mouse by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Citricos: Blonde Ale by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Olive bread

Citrocos: Bread by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The old crab cake is gone and the new appetizer and starter menu doesn’t impress me much anymore. The albondiga is a huge portion, but it wasn’t completely cooked in the middle for me and ground anything should really be cooked thoroughly. Tasty, but nothing to compel me to order it again. The cheese plate was a good selection, but DM melon salad was just junk. The melon was hard and not ripe and thought the field greens were too leafy and bitter for the dish.

Lamb albondiga

Citricos: Lamb albondiga by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Cheese plate

Citricos: Cheese Plate by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Melon salad

Citricos: melon salad by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Our appetizer plates were cleared and we enjoyed the view, by now the heavy rain had stopped. Adrian checked in with us frequently and made sure we were good on beverages and flat ware. Our entrees arrived a little while later

Pan seared cod with mussels and clams. The fish was perfectly cooked and served in a succulent broth. This was a great dish for the non red meat eater or someone looking for something on the lighter side.

Citricos: Seared Cod with clams and mussels by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Veal chop-this was breaded and fried with a hint of citrus. Lovely indeed.

Citricos: Veal Cutlet by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

DM had the beef tenderloin, which in the past had been a filet. Not sure if it is temporary or permanent, but it was just not near the quality they were charging for it. The menu item is a signature item, but the quality is too poor now.

Warm chocolate banana torte

Citricos: Warm banana torte by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

I originally had Citricos on board for our January trip, but I have since changed it to the California Grill. The service was great, but this once dependable spot has left a bitter taste in my mouth. DM can be a pain to please, but the salad and entrée were just no good enough.

***3 Stars--Meh a first for Citricos

LowesChevy

Original Poster
September 24

Disney Hollywood Studios

We drive to DHS to speed up the travel process. Having the car is a nice plus, especially when heading to DTD. Luckily we arrived and got a good spot. Last year we literally were at the end of the row and it was shorter to walk straight to the 3rd party busses.

It was just past the park opening and we made our way for TSMM to see how bad the stand by line was and at 80 minutes that is pretty brutal.

We walked back across the park and rode Star Tours. I was pretty happy we had a sequence I had not seen before. Last year we had the same experience twice, which I thought was a pretty slim chance.

IMG_0688 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0692 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0699 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride had no standby line and as the day went on that line would only get longer. The attraction actually eats up a large portion of time and it is nice and cool inside. It could definitely use some changes, but what? Hopefully it will get some love in the near future, but for now every CM’s favorite genre will be still be horror.

IMG_0702 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Our time table to Toy Story Midway Mania was up and walked right on just about. Still a darn kitty, but I am going to brush up on the strategy guideline for January! Still pretty long stand by lines, so perhaps that had something to do with their decision to allow no standby. I do not get the whole concept though, part of the experience is waiting in line..why do they assume that lines should be short? Perhaps there isn’t enough to do in the park if one ride has waits for over an hour. My brain would say build more! Also if they are going to reduce wait times, they better find some other forms of attractions. I can’t wait to see how boring it will be come January when Indiana Jones and the Backlot are both closed! The park will get boring fast.

IMG_0706 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We had less than an hour before our time slot for Indiana Jones would open up, so it was off to Sunset Boulevard. Between the 2, I would rather wait stand by for Tower of Terror because the crowds for Rock ‘N’ Roller Coaster are more sporadic. Plus I prefer the atmosphere and queue of ToT. The stand by line said 40 minutes and that’s about what we waited by the time we were done leaving me with plenty of time to get some photographs! ToT is probably right beneath Haunted Mansion on my favorites list to be fair.

IMG_0710 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0714 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0731 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We wandered in the shops on the Boulevard and then made our way to Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Show Spectacular. It was about perfect timing for the show. The FP seats are right in the center and while you are sitting there it is hard to imagine the amount of people it will take to fill the stadium, but by the time the show starts the place is packed!

IMG_0843 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0774 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0784 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

It always was worth a view every year and I we will miss it. I hope that they have a new attraction in mind that can entertain a similar amount of people at once because it really is a crowd grabber.

By the time the show was over, lunch at Mama Melrose was up next!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Mama Melrose’s

It is amazing that no matter what time of year this place is always jammed. I like how the restaurants have bouncers out front asking people if they have a reservation or not to keep people from freely wandering in and holding other guests up at the desk. Mama’s also does not have a bar guests can grab a seat at either. The park is on the smaller side, but the restaurants rarely seem to have walk in space.

Mama Melrose’s has been a favorite of ours for many years. Nope, it’s not your average Italian restaurant down the street, but then again which restaurant in Disney offers an experience like your neighborhood grill?

It wasn’t long after we were seated when Maria arrived to introduce herself and take our drink order. We were still figuring out what we wanted off the menu, but she encouraged us to take our time. In the meantime a family was seated by us and one of the children was walking around the table, around and around at times nearly taking our servers and other guests. I mean are people totally oblivious to their children at times or what?! It was making everyone nervous. Luckily the servers were careful enough to get around her and not get bumped, but she could have gotten a tray dumped on her or dishes could have gone flying. The parents were just too busy playing with their phones to pay attention.

IMG_0849 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The menu hasn’t changed much over the years. There used to be more flatbreads, but over time the menus become smaller and more precise to save on inventory. Still a nice variety of starters and flatbreads to share, which is perfect for us. We went with the Caesar salad, house salad, margarita and the carne flatbread.

IMG_0848 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Caesar
Mama Melrose's: Caesar Salad by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

House

Mama Melrose's: House salad by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The salads are sharing sized portions and the 3 of us can easily devour 2 salads between us plus some leftover flatbreads. The Caesar was well drenched and had a lovely mild anchovy taste with one crunch crouton to split. The house salad has a few sliced vegetables and some salami, but not enough to really get excited about. The flatbreads arrived and they were noticeably thinner than previous years. I know they are cutting costs, but come on! If these things get any thinner I can read a newspaper through them! Sorry the carne photo was not very clear so I didn’t post it. Lots of meat toppings though.

Margarita flatbread

Mama Melrose's: Margarita flatbread by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Over all the food was good and the service was great as usually for us. We will definitely be back because this happens to be one of the few great places to eat at DHS

****4 Stars --Good at Mama Melrose’s

After lunch we did Muppetvision 3D and then headed back to BLT for a rest!

Dinner tonight at DTD, House of Blues!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
House of Blues

It was lightly sprinkling as we arrived at Downtown Disney Westside. The current parking lot actually isn’t too much of a hike as I mentioned before to the Westside. It is also close to the ferry boat shuttle launch for POR, OKW and SS. We went right to the HOB and they were able to seat us earlier than our adr. I think we were on the lucky side because the place really started to fill up after we were seated!

IMG_0890 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0889 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_0877 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Aaron came over immediately after we were seated to offer us a cocktail or beverage of choice. I took the liberty in ordering us some cornbread with maple butter for starters. I discovered this spot last year as we had a great lunch! The menu is large and has small bites, appetizers, burgers, sandwiches, full entrees and even tacos. It seems to have something for everyone to enjoy. As far as dinner choices, I was torn between tacos and the burger, but in the end I wanted a big juicy piece of red meat. I was behaving by eating fish, but I was craving beef now!

Menu

IMG_0876 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Cornbread-served with maple butter. It is a bit on the sweet side for us, but still very good moist and crumbly.

House of Blues: Jalapeno Cornbread by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The Juicy Lucy has applewood smoked bacon mixed right into the patty. It is juicy and smoky and filled with gooey cheese and the menu said crispy fried jalapenos, but it was like 3 bits of a small pepper on one side of the burger when I got it. Don’t worry about them being to overpowering or if there is an abundance of them. The club sandwich came with a chipotle mayonnaise and was a giant sandwich. The ribs were well done with just the right amount of smoke according to DF.

Juicy Lucy

House of Blues: Juicy Lucy by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Club Sandwich

House of Blues: Club sandwich by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Half rack

House of Blues: Half rack of ribs by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

All in all the food was great. Aaron was very attentive and helpful with beer suggestions. Our meal was wonderful and the table behind was starting to get really rowdy! Time to get along little doggies.

****4 Stars Very Good- House of Blues

The rain had cleared out and we decided to walk down through Pleasure Island or well what’s left of PI. The walk itself was nice-a breeze to the air, but my heavens I was tired of looking at walls lol. I had completely forgotten about the soccer shop and was happy to find Liverpool FC kits! I guess I was caught up in all of the other excitement over the trip. DF even bought me an away kit-then he couldn’t believe how much they cost! J Hey he offered! I bought a few goodies at D-Street like some Vinylmation juniors and Theme Park Starz as well. I ended up with 3 Dorys, like really?!

Can’t wait to see Disney Springs completed, but I bet it will be a while! So long for now and see you at Kona Café tomorrow morning.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
September 25th

Kona Café

Our reservation was for 9:05 AM and normally if you can get to Kona before 9 and adr isn’t always necessary this time of year. The Polynesian is our all time favorite resort, but in it’s current state, we have no desire to stay there until it is nearing completion. The stories are true-there are walls up everywhere! It is really dark in the lobby when the sun isn’t out either.

Much like the Wave, Citricos, and Artist Point members of the staff at Kona Café have been there for many years. It is great to see familiar faces because you feel like the CMs must enjoy their jobs if they stick around, especially in the same place.

It didn’t take long to be seated and almost immediately Muthea was over to greet us. She was incredibly friendly and helpful and she noticed quickly that we were a decisive bunch. DM had to have her Tonga Toast, while I had my favorite pineapple macadamia nut pancakes and father had a ham and cheese omelet –yawn, you can get that anywhere! I have been having some reflux issues on the trip, but I was feeling pretty good so I went all out for some Kona coffee!

Kona Cafe by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Kona Cafe by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The Tonga Toast were perfectly cooked. Sometimes you can tell if they were busy and tried to fry a new batch before the oil heated back up to the right temperature because it will be soggy and loaded with grease. This was perfectly crisp! The pineapple macadamia nut pancakes did have noticeably less nuts, but there were still plenty studded in the cakes. I think they were probably using too many before and the cost accounting had caught up with them on the dish. Still delicious as always. DF enjoyed his omelet, but he dislikes the home fries here…of course he had a problem with every breakfast spot’s hash browns, so he is on his own. Eat it or not, I happen to enjoy them.

Kona Cafe: Tonga Toast by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Breakfast was perfect. We were in and out and off to the Magic Kingdom in a short period of time. That is exactly what I am looking for in breakfast before the park. I gave Muthea a Lilo and Stitch CM appreciation card and she was so touched by the gesture. They are online by Tagrel. You can personalize them and I wrap them in tape to protect the paper. They are a really nice way to thank a CM for going out of their way to help or if they provided a great service.

****5 Stars-wonderful breakfast Kona Café

After breakfast we wandered around the Great Ceremonial House and looked at many of the ongoing changes. I am sure that it will be amazing when complete, but what a hideous beast the place is now!

Time for the Magic Kingdom one last time before we head to the Beach Club

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Magic Kingdom

So as I mentioned earlier this would be our last full day and most likely our last time spent at the MK this trip. I planned it that way to keep down on the travel time from the Beach Club. More time would be spent at MK in the first part of the trip just as Epcot would be the majority of the time in the last leg of the trip based on our location. It worked pretty well and with the trip in January coming up, I didn’t feel like I would be missing anything completely. With the exception of Mickey’s Philharmagic, we skipped a few things that we normally just don’t experience..ahem Stitch. They are on the list for January though as well as the Teacups. Well just for mom and I, DF does not like spinning lol! Wuss.

It was still pretty cloudy today, plus it was raining on and off.

Main Street by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Main Street U.S.A. by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Off to adventure….

Pirates of the Caribbean

I have been working on my indoor dark photography. It is a challenge to not use a flash, but some of my POC photos turned out pretty cool. We rode stand by so we could use our FP+ for other rides like the Mine Ride! The wait was only about 20 minutes.

Pirates of the Caribbean by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Pirates of the Caribbean by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Sunshine Terrace by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We rode Haunted Mansion and wandered up through Fantasyland to get ready to use our FP+ for the Mine Ride. I was happy to get to ride it during the day lol! I really wanted to enjoy the scenery and snap a few photos along the way. Very enjoyable ride.

Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Seven Dwarfs Mine Ride by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tomorrowland was next to ride our favorites Buzz Lightyear and Wedway of course. We wandered back down to Main Street U.S.A. to do some shopping and eventually it was time to head to Tony’s for lunch. Wow was the lobby packed with folks!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Tony’s Town Square

Tony’s Town Square is apparently a popular place. Surprisingly so since most of the reviews I read are negative! However you are limited to Tony’s, The Plaza or LTT for 1 credit meals. It took maybe 15 minutes to be seated-the longest we waited all vacation long.

We were seated in the main room near the fountain, which I managed to get a few nice shots off for my collection. Mark Anthony arrived after a few moments to introduce himself and get us a beverage. We had already eaten a number of flatbreads and pasta, so I was looking for something a little different to eat. The panini of the day sounded okay, I was hoping for a nice hot combination sub type of sandwich. DF and I went with the sandwich and DM ordered the chicken parmesan.

I also ordered the zucchini fries to start. They were pretty tasty and nicely fried, but I would have preferred some hot marinara to dip them in over this red pepper mayonnaise. The chicken and mushroom paninis were fine, nothing special, but pleasant tasting and toasted well. They came with a nice little house salad cup on the side. The marinara sauce on the parmesan is so bitter, I don’t understand why they don’t change the recipe! The chicken was good and the pasta fine, but who can eat that sauce?! Aye

Tony's Town Sq: Zucchini fries by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tony's Town Sq: Chicken parmesan by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tony's Town Sq: Panini of the day by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

***Ok for Tony’s Town Square. I think I would rather go to the Plaza twice if I had more than 2 days at the MK.

It was time to head back to BLT for some rest and a dip in the pool! Dinner is at Artist Point tonight

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Artist’s Point

The ferry to Wilderness Lodge was just leaving as we got to the dock. So we had to wait 25 minutes for them to circuit back around to the Contemporary. The ride is lovely and this evening was most pleasant because the clouds finally lifted. I forgot that the Wilderness Lodge theme pool was completely torn apart. It was crazy to see it all drained and boarded up. I finally remembered seeing all of the threads discussing the ongoing construction. Again a bummer like the Polynesian, but I hope most people did their homework and changed out resorts if possible.

Artist Point was a good star for many years and then it went through a growing pains stage with us. A couple of years of bad service really soured our love for AP, but last year it totally turned around for us. We received outstanding service from Izzy, so guess who we requested as a server this time.

We were seated near the entry of AP in one of his swing sections. Basically we were an extra table in his section, but we didn’t mind because we knew we were in great hands! It didn’t take him long to recognize us either and he was pleased to have us. He took our drink order and returned to give us a breakdown of the new menu items in detail. Now I really didn’t know what I wanted!

Artist Point by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The entire menu is incredibly appealing. I feel like with most restaurants the choice comes down to 1-2 items, but here the salmon is amazing, buffalo is hard to come by on a menu, the fish choices are always a good option too. The venison carpaccio was calling my name, but I went with the crab cake. DF has his cheese and DM went with the heirloom tomato panzanella salad.

Izzy brought us over a complimentary amuse bouche of lobster bisque

Lobster bisque amuse bouche by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tomatoes were ripe and delicious and we are just about at the end of tasty tomato season where we live of course. My father enjoyed his cheese platter and the portions are generous. Sorry it was dark and I didn’t want to use my flash on these!

Artist Point: Heirloom tomato salad by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Artist Point: cheese plate by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Artist Point: crab cake by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The crab cake had some cod mixed in with it and the whole dish was kind of busy, perhaps too busy. There was a mustard remoulade, which was pleasant tasting, but also plopped on top was a tangy coleslaw and a hickory smoked piece of bacon. I felt the garnish overpowered the taste of the cake and the bacon was too pungent a flavor to have with the delicacy of the crab. I think the crab cake, the remoulade and some field greens would have been just perfect.

Buffalo!! Buffalo!! Buffalo!! The other red meat trifecta: grilled strip steak, buffalo mac and cheese and buffalo sausage with braised cabbage slaw. The chef is loving slaw on this menu. The strip steak was perfectly cooked, but my favorite part of the dish was the sausage! Then again I am quite the sausage connoisseur. The mac and cheese was creamy and well seasoned as well.

Artist Point: Buffalo, buffalo, buffalo by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

DM filet was amazing and a stark difference from the meat she had the other night at Citricos. The salmon was wonderful and DF actually ate the sweet potato hash that was served with it-he hates sweet potatoes! I really envisioned having cobbler, but we were so stuffed there was no room!

Izzy was great the whole night and had our plates cleared and glasses filled along with being entertained of course. Sad we won’t be dining here in January, but it is a must do in September! Wonderful evening at Artist Point

*****5 Stars Artist Point, outstanding

The boat was at the dock waiting for us and on the way over we got to watch Hallowishes from the lagoon. A perfect end to a perfect evening.

Tomorrow we will be checking out and heading over to AK before checking into the Beach Club in the afternoon. Hopefully this check in is much smoother!!!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
September 26th

Animal Kingdom

We packed up the bags and went over to breakfast at the Wave one last time this trip. It was another cloudy day starting out, but it was supposed to clear out later in the day. Bell services helped us pack up the car and it was time to head over to the Animal Kingdom. It was later than the time we usually arrive and we parked in the unicorn lot and caught the tram to the front gate.

The plan was to head right for Kilamanjaro Safaris to use our FP. The line was slow moving and it seemed like there were a shortage of jeeps running. The stand by line was really long and I could imagine maybe a no stand by test coming soon. As I mentioned before I think that is rotten considering a guest may have only 1 day at the park and if people are willing to wait in line why should they not be able to ride an attraction? If you do not want long lines Disney build more attractions and quit stuffing the parks all year round!

Animal Kingdom by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Kilamanjaro Safari by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We made it to the elephant section near the red clay when we were halted. Apparently some animals were getting into the vehicle path and backing up the jeeps. It was funny, but we were stuck for a while and then started to move and had to stop again. Lucky for us our next FP wasn’t for a while, but it may have started to get tight for other guests. Eventually we got rolling again

Chillin

Like a boss

The KS is always a great time. The attraction is long and there are so many things to see along the way. Definitely a must do for all ages. We meandered around and went to the shops before our FP for FOTLK was ready. I was disappointed to hear that they will be closing one of the stores soon to make way for something new. The Animal Kingdom merchandise is rather unique to the park unlike much of the other merchandise on property. You can still get your generic WDW stuff here, but they do offer items you cannot find anywhere else.

Ok so, brand new theatre with a small FP+ section is what I will say about the new FOTLK. The sun finally came out today and a long line of people was outside in the sun parched queue. The CMs kept asking guests to move up, but you know how well most of them listen. Finally we were moving in and we scored an end seat, but people came in at the last minute and we had to squish over. Then I was stuck behind a tall guy with a baseball cap on lol. The show was wonderful as usual though.

Festival of the Lion King

Festival of the Lion King by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

IMG_1377 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Afterwards we made our way to Expedition Everest and boy was the park crowded! It was midday and lots of tour groups and people were sitting around everywhere. The standby line was 25 minutes, that’s a pretty long wait. Your best bet is to get here first thing at opening and ride stand by. Hold your FP for other attractions since not everyone is interested in riding this thrill ride!

Expedition Everest by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Expedition Everest by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

I would have liked to ride again, but the rain was on its way! We booked back to Discovery Island and made our way to the tram. I swear we always forget where the car is here! Plus lot of other red mini vans in the lot lol. We found the car and made our way to DTD.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Luckily we were able to snag a spot near the World of Disney when we arrived. They were waiving people all over the place and we pretty much decided we would not come back this trip because of the parking aye. Ponchos on and wallets ready! Earl of Sandwich was an absolute madhouse of course. We peered over to Wolfgang Puck Café and it didn’t look as crazy, so we made a run for it. I do not really understand why it takes some people so long to order, but at many places it gets excessive. Funny note-the couple in front of us had a suitcase with two cases of Budweiser in it lol! He must of walked over to the Hess Station to get them. Nice :)

Wolfgang Puck Express

I really like WPE. The food is a cut above other counter service places and the portions are much larger too. It is a great value for those on the dining plan for sure. You can get pizza, rotisserie chicken, big plates of pasta and enormous sandwiches with fries or chips plus soups and salads. They serve the food on real plates and silverware as well.

After you order you are given a number plate for the table and you can get your soda drink from the fountain and find a table. There are bussers and servers that keep the tables clean and deliver the food. If the weather is cooperating grab a table outside on the patio.

The chicken salad sandwich was a favorite of the three of us and I could barely finish mine. If you have never been here it is a great alternative to EOS in a pinch. Don’t forget the other location on the West Side too!.

****4 Stars Good Stuff WPE

At lunch we discussed whether or not we should renew our APs or if we should wait. We decided to purchase a 1 day ticket for our last day Sunday since our AP expired Saturday. The CM explained our options, but in the end we want our AP renewal window to change. It expires late September and we really want to keep going in October so we are missing out on the discounted renewal, but looking towards the flexibility of our future trips. The sticker shock for a 1 day ticket though-woah!

Next stop was the Marketplace Co Op! It was completely different than I imagined it in my mind. I found the layout and design very pleasant and fun to shop. I bought some Adventureland plates for our Tiki Bar themed patio we are working on and a neat 10,000 Leagues Under The Sea Mug to ship home. I really wanted the Polynesian inspired plates, but I am waiting till January to scoop some of those up for my collection.

It was time to head over to the Beach Club for our final leg of the trip!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Tutto Italia Dinner

I love the atmosphere and energy here. The staff is incredibly friendly and maitre de Benito has been working as long as I can remember even when it was Alfredo’s. The servers have hustling helpers, like Via, who bring the bread and meals and keep the beverage glasses full. The service always feels top notch when two people are focusing on the table.

Tutto is a reliable place for the picky eater. They offer a selection of pasta option as well as some meat centered dishes with creative side dishes. The giant antipasto is amazing, but I usually save room for some gelato and coffee at the end of the meal. A nice selection of salads and appetizers compliment any meal. For every table there is bread, oil and olives to start your meal.

IMG_1538 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tutto Italia by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

And perhaps a lovely cocktail…

Tutto Italia: Cosmo and bellini by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tutto Italia by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The dishes do not change drastically from year to year. I had the lasagna, which is a house specialty. It is a lasagna alla bolongnese to be exact and the layers of béchamel and pasta are partnered with a tomato sauce with finely ground beef. It is rich and hearty and a challenge for most appetites. DF ordered his favorite gnochetti with sausage ragu and the only thing that bothers me about this dish are the gnochetti-they look like little maggots! However they are good, just creepy looking. The dish that was previously fettuccini alla Romana has been transformed into ravioli with chicken and practically the same ingredients. DM wasn’t thrilled by the dish, but remember she is very picky about her food. I found the ravioli to be very good, but I think that she didn’t like the chicken being inside the ravioli so much. Otherwise a rich and delicious dish as well.

Tutto Italia: Lasagna Bolognese by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tutto Italia: Gnochetti with sausage by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Tutto Italia: Cheese ravioli with chicken and pancetta by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

I was feeling pretty good after my bellini, so I had the chocolate gelato and DM had a cappuccino to cap off the evening. Rita was very cordial and visable the entire meal too. Overall another enjoyable experience at Tutto

Tutto Italia-Chocolate Gelato by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

****4 Stars Very nice Tutto Italia

We were rather stuffed and tired, so we wandered back home to the Beach Club to get ready for a day back at Hollywood Studios.

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Beach Club Review

Beach Club: deluxe room by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We arrived and were eventually greeted by a concierge CM whom escorted us to the lounge. Our room was on the 1st floor, which was really annoying because the club lounge was on the 5th floor. Eventually everything was set and DF had to run back down to the car to self park, while DM and I headed to the room.

Beach Club by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The room was the same layout as last year- deluxe spacious room, but the porch was smaller than the balcony since it is ground floor. However I am not sure I would ask for a ground floor room next time because we were right by a door way and people were back and forth all day. You needed to have the blinds closed for any privacy, but then it is dark. Often when we swim we like to hang the wet suits and towels out on the chairs to dry, but I wouldn’t take the chance on the ground floor.

Quiet pool was immediately in front of our room. The hot tub was down for a couple of days, but eventually on our last evening it was up and running. One afternoon we jumped into the laundry room to get out of the pouring rain! There are a few washers and dryers right by the pool if you need to wash a few items while you take a relaxing dip in the pool. We didn’t get a chance to experience SAB this year, it seemed like we were too tired or busy to swim!

Beach Club: Quiet Pool by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The Club Level lounge was currently residing in one of the suites, but all should be back to normal by now. They were putting the finishing touches in on the front desk area on our last day. A special shout to Andrew in FP+ concierge desk for helping us get some passes for our last day. We bought the single day tickets and they were linked to our account, but for some reason they were not allowing me to make FP reservations. So I went up to the lounge for some help and he was able to override the system and get us passes for Test Track all within 15 minutes of one another. He said he had no idea why it wasn’t allowing me to make arraignments, but he was able to make it work. Concierge was also helpful in helping print out our boarding passes too!

We spread out and took root in the room. Even though it was three days I like to unpack and feel like I am staying a while. There are plenty of drawers in this room with a tall narrow dresser and the dresser under the television. In the deluxe room a couch and a coffee table are near the refrigerator hutch. The closet is still rather small, but enough room to store a couple of suitcases and your nicer clothes, not to mention the safe to store your valuables.

My other complaint was the fact that our room was on the end of the hallway and apparently the room doesn’t get serviced till the end of the day. Well we come back to the room by mid afternoon, so on both days the room was never serviced. We called for towels and that and it’s not like we have crap everywhere, but it is just annoying to not have the room cleaned at a decent time. Usually we call down and tell them we were leaving, but DM didn’t bother and look what we got. I mean out the door at 7:30-8 AM and the room isn’t touched by 3:00 PM that’s ridiculous! Management is expecting way too much out of the staff if they schedule them to clean 16 rooms, which is what I overheard them saying. Yikes!

Overall, the stay was pleasant, but the room servicing was lackluster. Next year, if we stay, I will request a room near the lounge or elevator and be sure to call every morning. You can’t beat the location of the Beach Club especially if you are an Epcot lover!

LowesChevy

Original Poster
September 27th Hollywood Studios

We had our breakfast at the Captain’s Grill, which is conveniently located right out from the Friendship boat dock. This morning was about the first sunny morning we’ve had all trip. There were at least 100 people waiting for the boat to DHS and one of the captains called over to get another boat in service. A heads up move because we would have been waiting for at least another 25 minutes probably. Funny thing is they kept the boat in service all day because they needed it! The parks really busied up this weekend.

We had some time to spend before The Voyage of the Little Mermaid, so we did two things we have never experienced before: One Man’s Dream and The Pirates of The Caribbean Legend of Jack Sparrow walk through.

IMG_0658 by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

The walk through was different that I expected- I thought there would be like props and memorabilia, but it was more like an interactive show. Had there been another room before the final sequence I think it would be a fine use of time, but it was a little short to be a great time killer. I couldn’t imagine doing it every visit luckily it changes every few years. It was nice and cool inside though!

One Man’s Dream was very awesome. I enjoyed reading the expanded history of Walt, Mickey and Disneyland & World. I particularly enjoyed the scale models of the lands and attractions since I have always been fascinated by miniatures. By the time we got through everything we didn’t have time for the movie, but we will definitely check it out next trip!

Walt Disney: One Man's Dream by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Walt Disney: One Man's Dream by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We still had a few minutes before we could get in the queue for the Little Mermaid, so we used the potty and hit the small store near the Animation building. The last time (last Oct.) we attempted to see the show the performance was cancelled after we had scanned our bands and they weren’t passing out FP or letting us return for the next show. I thought that was total crap and of course-you can make another FP selection on the computers provided, but of course nothing else was available for that day. I know it was in the testing phases at that point, but what a crock.

The show was okay, Ariel was off key in some spots though. The show is cute, but after seeing Nemo This attraction could really use a revamp considering those 80s dj lasers aren’t exactly cutting edge anymore. Still waiting to hear which direction DHS is going, but we are yet to hear any definite details!

Afterwards we rode Star Tours one last time!

Star Tours by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Hollywood Brown Derby

Lunch was at the Brown Derby and rain was quickly approaching. We decided to check in early and relax in the comfy leather couches in the lobby. It wasn’t long after we were waiting when it started pouring! People were running to escape the rain and diving into the lobby and awning. It was your typical quick downpour and soon the sun came back out to say hello.

Our buzzer rang and we were off to be seated. This was our first time at the Brown Derby. I always thought the menu was a little to specialty for DM, but I did notice a few items lately that she would enjoy, plus they have been offering seasonal specials. I was amazed with how big and beautiful the restaurant was inside since it doesn’t look large from the exterior.

Brown Derby by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Brown Derby-bread and butter by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

We were seated about the time our adr was scheduled and I noticed most restaurants have been prompt with seating times. Luann arrived right after we were seated to introduce herself and get us a beverage. She is originally from Punxsutawney, which is only a few hours from where we live. You don’t meet a lot of folks from there that’s for sure! She went over the menu thoroughly after bringing our beverages. We took a few minutes to make our final decisions.

The menu has some appealing gems and I couldn’t resist an appetizer and went with the crab spring roll. The duck sounded great, but I figured I would have that at Chefs the next evening. I thought I would give the andouille crusted chicken sandwich a try instead of a full entrée.

The crab spring roll was large-a generous portion and a bonus claw to nibble on too. Beautiful presentation and a great dish to start off the meal.

Brown Derby-crab spring roll by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

DM went with the fettuccini Alfredo, which came with crispy pancetta and a garlic crostini. She enjoyed the pasta and wasn’t anywhere near close to finishing it- good size portion. DF had the waygu burger another special that was offered. It was a monster as well and he ended up eating it with a fork and knife! The burger and the chicken sandwich were both very good and filling, but not filling enough to stop us from having a dessert sampler of course!
Brown Derby-Andouille crusted chicken sandwich by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Brown Derby-Fettuccine Alfredo by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Banana crunch with strawberry balls, grapefruit cake and almond panna cotta! Yum the panna cotta was our favorite. I really like the mini dessert format that has been trendy because everyone can have a little bite of something and you don’t feel like if your dessert was a bad choice you were stuck with one crappy dessert.

Brown Derby: Dessert delights-grapefruit cake, amaretto creme brulee and banana crunch cake by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Why we have not been here before? I must be crazy! The service from Luann was amazing and the food was wonderful. This is on our must do list from now on baby.

*****5 Stars Bravo Brown Derby

It was time to shove off with our full bellies back to the resort. The sun was back out and the humidity was way up too. It was good timing on our behalf because one boat was unloading and the back up boat from the morning was right behind it. Back to the BC!

Hollywood Studios by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

Teppan Edo is up later

LowesChevy

Original Poster
Teppan Edo

By the time we strolled over a few countries it was time to check in for Teppan Edo. We were a little early, but it is always entertaining watching the crowds in the restaurant. We were seated nearly on time, but one of the other parties was lagging behind. Our table was waaayy in the back room near the restrooms. I prefer the larger rooms because you can watch the other tables while you wait.

It never seems to take long for service. The servers are right over taking orders and bringing out appetizers and beverages. Then you can get food cooked much faster than at a teppanyaki table!

Teppan Edo by liverpoollover8, on Flickr

I skipped on the appetizer since I had already had sushi a couple of times this week and lunch was very filling. I also like to save room for a funnel cake from the kiosk afterwards. The menu looked smaller, but the combinations have stayed the same. They serve some sukiyaki fried rice with dinners now too.

Really no question as to what to order for us- steak and shrimp for me and pop and filet mignon for DM. We have a great Japanese style steakhouse in town, but TE is slightly better in the quality of shrimp and beef they serve. Our local place has amazing fried rice though. I am not a huge fan of the noodles, but we always seem to get plenty to eat. Let the fun begin!

Our chef was really proud of his onion volcano.

DM got a mad face

The food was very good-tender steak and shrimp and DM filet was wonderful! The quality of the food is higher than most 1 credit table service meal imho. A great value if you are using the dining plan, otherwise a great meal just in general.

****4 Stars very good--Teppan Edo

A stop by the American Adventure funnel cake booth and I am happy as a clam for the night. So long and we will see you again tomorrow Epcot!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom