No shame... What DL/Park stuff do you collect?

dweezil78

Original Poster
A few EPCOT Center things... mostly vintage. You might say I'm a fan. :)
IMG_2389.JPG

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

And then these aren't EPCOT...but still cool. The Contemporary folder was completely in-tact when I got it -- letterhead, laundry slips, and more all from the mid 70s in perfect condition!
FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited:

catmom46

My favorite stuff to collect is any merch with the old school attraction graphics on them. Like this poster and these magnets hanging in my kitchen.

FullSizeRender%2012_zpsg8aoboyl.jpg

IMG_4472_zpsnalbnljo.jpg

FullSizeRender%2020_zpsvrwtxhx4.jpg
Anyone have any idea why they started selling the smaller magnets individually (POTC, HM, IASW, ETR) and then started selling them as a set with larger magnets (Dumbo, CBJ, SV, BTM)? I figured once they started selling the sets there would be more to follow but the Dumbo set was released over a year ago and nothing else has come out.

I collect these beauts (picture sucks) .... The only one I still want is the Splash Mountain one but that hasn't been in the parks for a while and the going rate on ebay seems to be $1400.

FullSizeRender%2020_zpsvrwtxhx4.jpg

The DL Main Street Train Station has to be my favorite

IMG_4476%203_zps7sskglhf.jpg

I also love me some Jim Shore...

IMG_4474_zpsgpfdlacd.jpg

A couple plush items that called my name...

IMG_4485_zpss7pyagqw.jpg

My old school Captain EO figurines...

IMG_4484_zpsbpyeocml.jpg

I like to buy just random stuff in general that grabs my attention. For example since I was young the Hippo from IASW was always really cool to me...

IMG_4473_zpsrow8k2cz.jpg

Other than I just started collecting DLR attraction pins and some of the WDI pins. I find Im particulary drawn to Fantasyland dark ride pins, Alice in Wonderland in particular and not so in particular...Mr. Toad too, Captain EO and the MSEP.

What I dont like... any merch that has a year plastered on it.

Love the hippo! I want one.

Figments Friend

We had some book collectors here earlier in this thread sharing some of their gems....
Thought i would share one of mine -

This fabulous 1986 large hardcover 'souvenir book' for Walt Disney World.
A look at the beautifully designed , leather bound and embossed cover -

I bought this back at that time, primarily for the unique images contained within.
Many of them i have still not seen anywhere else.
A great book to get your hands on if you ever come across one.

The mid-80s were a great time in Orlando....pre-Disney/MGM Studios build, when MK and EPCOT Center was king!
This book captures that time period rather well...showcasing both Parks and even 'backstage' happenings.

-

Figments Friend

What I don't like... any merch that has a year plastered on it.

YES!!
And i thought i was the only one...!

All that yearly merchandise with the big '2000-whatever' plastered across it i find to be very unappealing.
Someone must buy it however, likely to commemorate a special visit, but I've never seen a design that looked appealing to me.
Different strokes for different folks, but i agree that the dated stuff with the current year on it i just pass right over.

-

Figments Friend

Amazing graphic design! Nowadays, they'd throw Olaf and Princesses and Pixar characters all over it an aesthetically disgusting style.

Agree.
This book is classy.
Always liked the look of this cover.

I need to photograph some of the interior pages...some beautiful stuff.
A have a few scanned, here are some samples related to EPCOT Center that are pretty nice -

From 'World Of Motion's post-show area, known as the TransCenter.
Look at this awesome stuff that was being designed and 'tested' back in 1986!
In the background you can see some of futurist Syd Meads' neat artwork.

Another page showcasing displays from the TransCenter -
Just look at that awesome truck! And more Syd Mead art!

Where is the engaging, exciting, and futuristic stuff today....?
Not at Epcot, sadly....

-

George Lucas on a Bench

I remember having an old pictorial souvenir of WDW before MGM had opened and I would just stare at it all the time. The photos were amazing! It was also my first glimpse of DL at the end with the Sleeping Beauty Castle and Matterhorn looming behind it. It was a great book!

NiarrNDisney

I have a pretty large collection of the park maps as well as brochures and some of the resort maps.

I recently started collecting the cocktail swizzle sticks since most of the resort and park bars/lounges have their own themed sticks.

Besides that nothing else really

dweezil78

Original Poster
We had some book collectors here earlier in this thread sharing some of their gems....
Thought i would share one of mine -

This fabulous 1986 large hardcover 'souvenir book' for Walt Disney World.
A look at the beautifully designed , leather bound and embossed cover -

This was my first souvenir book -- I still have it proudly on display on one of my shelves! It took a beating and a few spills over the years so I bought a relatively pristine copy a few years ago that I keep in a safe place. They put out new versions of this book w/ different covers several times in the 80s, possibly into the early 90s with little updates in each edition as WDW expanded.

There is also a companion Disneyland book of sorts from 1985 (The First Thirty Years) with a similar cover -- though the format of the book is more a look at the history of the park rather than a land-by-land overview like the WDW book. This book is an update of Disneyland: The First Quarter Century which also has a matching cover to the WDW book that came out around the same time.

$_1.JPG

And here are the earlier editions for both if you're seeking 'em!

41gUWwNsVeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Last edited:

Figments Friend

This was my first souvenir book -- I still have it proudly on display on one of my shelves! It took a beating and a few spills over the years so I bought a relatively pristine copy a few years ago that I keep in a safe place. They put out new versions of this book w/ different covers several times in the 80s, possibly into the early 90s with little updates in each edition as WDW expanded.

There is also a companion Disneyland book of sorts from 1985 (The First Thirty Years) with a similar cover -- though the format of the book is more a look at the history of the park rather than a land-by-land overview like the WDW book. This book is an update of Disneyland: The First Quarter Century which also has a matching cover to the WDW book that came out around the same time.

$_1.JPG

And here are the earlier editions for both if you're seeking 'em!

41gUWwNsVeL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

It's a great book, that 1985 WDW edition, is'nt it..?
:)
Glad to hear you managed to find another one.

I like the Disneyland editions you show above, especially the 'matching' 1985 edition.
Almost bought a couple of these a few years ago second hand, but the price was a bit much for me at the time.
Still on the lookout though.

-

Here's some photos of the book we are talking about.
I spent some time today photographing some of my collectibles, and as promised, photographed a few pages from the 1985 WDW 'pictorial souvenir'.

First, here's a better photo of the handsome cover then what i posted earlier.
Dark green leather bound, with copper foil embossed features.
Stunning....!

Open the book up, and here are the first two pages.
Absolutely love this painting.
This should be sold as a print.

Close up photo of that great painting -

Figments Friend

Here is a sampling of a few of the pages from the 1985 WDW book.
I chose pages that showed some nice photos of things no longer around, or were just visually pleasing.
Enjoy!

Adventureland intro -

Two of the several pages featuring 'Fantasyland' -

'20,000 Leagues' Subs page ( loved this Attraction...)

Tomorrowland intro page -

'Discovery Island' pages -

'Behind The Scenes' at WDW pages -

Figments Friend

Continuing with the book now.....covering EPCOT Center in the 1985 WDW book.

Intro page featured in the book before turning to the EPCOT section.
Cool pencil art -

First two pages of the EPCOT section -

CommuniCore pages -

'The Living Seas' was featured in the book, although it would not open until the following year -

-

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom