Trip Report *COMPLETED* No Ring (delayed), No Rivers Light, & Donald Duck’s the President

As I stir my pasta noodles for dinner, a single tear slides down my cheek. DEPRESSION. It’s cold, it’s dark, and I am home…this unfamiliar place that is not my Disney World hotel room. (PLUS WHY AM I COOKING?!) This cold Philadelphia air chills me to the core, and when I woke up this morning I contemplated chucking my cell phone out the window. I knew my alarm was waking me up for work, not to catch a Disney bus. What is this life?! WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY does it have to end?! The hardest part of planning, and changing your plans, and obsessing over your plans, and then finally living out your plans is the part at the end. The part where it’s all over, it’s all done, and going on a Disney website, or checking a restaurant menu is like pouring salt on an open wound.

As you can tell from my title, no I didn’t get my Disney World proposal and no I didn’t get to see Rivers of Light. Thought I would throw all the heartbreak right at you from the get go, so we can move on to happier memories. (This just means my boyfriend owes me a BIGGER diamond, and a trip back! Maybe when ROL opens?!)

I have just returned from the most fabulous trip to Disney, and I am already itching to go back. I am trying to convince someone, anyone (hello out there!) to book a weekend getaway… That’s the thing with Disney, they always leave you wanting more! Unless it’s it just something us Disney addicts feel, we are always eager for our next fix!

For those who don’t know me, I’m Nicole, and I love Disney World. I have loved Disney World for 11 years now. (This is how they start these meetings right?!)

FE835E30-2B05-42E3-AC2A-28B52A934E2B_zpssokjhylt.jpg

I was in the Disney bubble from November 4th to November 13th and it was not enough time. NOT ENOUGH TIME I TELL YOU!!! I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside and fell truly, madly, and deeply in love with this BEAUTIFUL riverside resort. My last two trips have been in July and August, and I think those trips (in the summer nonetheless) were MUCH less crowded. SO MANY PEOPLE! It was the end of a race weekend, the last week of food and wine, NJ teacher convention week, and election week. One word of advice, DO NOT EVER GO AT THIS TIME! (keep rereading the go at as goat LOL)

Let’s begin!

November 4th-

Our flight was not until 5:50 PM Friday night. I originally was planning to work in the morning, but it turned out I was able to take the whole day off. Of course I woke up super early with excitement, did all my last minute packing, and then stared at the clock for hours on end. Go figure!

CFF8A16B-E3B6-415B-8571-A9DADEE5B881_zpswmtft2zw.png

This text arrived and my anxiety immediately started kicking in. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN! Will we not have room? Will they downgrade us to a tent along the riverbank? Will I have to fight off alligators and zika mosquitoes while sleeping outside? My boyfriend tried to calm my fears, and decided we should get a move on it. Airport here we come!

SEPTA was on strike (public transportation buses, etc) so of course traffic was nightmare! I tried my hardest not to freak out and bite off all my nails before even reaching Orlando.

D1CFAF7B-AB66-4105-A88F-1B71C44450D5_zpsxlfnsmus.jpg

After what seemed like forever, we made it! Hustled through security and straight for the bar!

60AE4E92-A7BF-4E19-B268-91FBF98DFA7A_zpso0ftiut2.jpg

Round 1

03FBEE83-CACE-4B42-A55A-F71944EB8276_zpsx039ncow.jpg

Round 2

4887B6FC-ABF2-4CED-B60A-A02FC82E43BE_zpsrecgid4e.jpg

Round 3—oops?

2F886687-D05C-43E1-8645-E74B01EDE1F2_zpsgob94hfj.jpg

And our first food picture of the trip! Chicken tenders! My anxiety was so high all day that I forgot to eat, and I was feeling pretty tipsy. Food is always a good idea!

We paid our tab, and decided to wait by the gate for our magical plane to Orlando! TAKE ME HOME BABY!!!

8BABCCC3-8265-48BB-BCC3-E5DAF156EA33_zpshz79ihgu.jpg

Ummm.. where is our plane?

E6D9AC7F-8DA7-4399-9AC9-733C02DC834A_zpsujuaa1nn.jpg

Come to find out our flight is delayed until 7 PM… I was too hyper and couldn’t sit still so off we went to check out the airport shops and burn off some energy.

We stumbled upon this wonderful sight, and couldn’t resist.

C1D8A85C-A69F-4490-B307-E432C68FBC09_zpsza90wlol.jpg

3C5D42D8-2A0B-4C70-9686-13BFD45EC0CC_zpswsfgeqd5.jpg

So much for trying to stay hungry to use up those quick service meals tonight!

The time ticked by soooooooooooo slowly. We watched a woman scream at the American Airlines attendant because he was making her check her bag… SCREAM. She kept threatening him, saying she was going to call Disney and tell them he ruined her trip. There was a family standing beside us, and they told the father he had to go on a later flight because they oversold the plane, and even he didn’t go as ballistic as this woman. Getting to Disney is stressful people!

Soon I was admiring this stunning view. HAPPY PLACE HERE I COME!

E5E3526E-82C9-49A4-AFFA-0B9B9CFCF22F_zpsenw2unjz.jpg

And we’re off!

5BB8E543-68A5-47FC-8F92-6138612BE98A_zps2sdvsm7r.jpg

Our flight was quick and painless, and soon the announcement came on that we arrived in Orlando!! A little boy a few rows behind us screamed out “NOOOOOOOO, we went to the wrong place! We are supposed to be in Disney World!”

I showed my boyfriend what I pro I was at maneuvering through the Orlando airport, B side, you can’t hide from me! My Mickey turned green and all my anxiety from earlier in the day melted away. The familiar aroma of the Orlando airport, the big Mickey hands waving you home, the smiling cast member’s faces, it didn’t matter if I’d be sleeping in a river, I was here!

77C06C58-A998-4E94-96FF-EF2F9C4F016E_zpspqch4zsc.jpg

Our magical express filled up quickly, and I didn’t even mind that we were one of the last stops. I soaked up that arrival feeling, the feeling that a full trip is ahead of you, that this really is the ultimate moment of beginning, that the possibilities are truly endless. Plus, it gave me more time to answer trivia questions! I think everyone on the bus thought I was psycho with the amount I got right!

714FB09D-BCC2-41CD-BB79-D7DF229D4469_zpseyas2cwx.jpg

46DF5011-04CD-4D8F-AFBA-F965D692D8E4_zpssjj7tdnn.jpg

And off we drove into the night. Even though the sign wasn’t lit up due to construction, I still felt it. The transition to being “on property”. That butterflies fluttering in your stomach feeling, when you know you’ve truly been welcomed home.

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Nov 7th

We woke feeling refreshed, and hungry! We had no real dinner plans tonight… Originally I thought we would grab a bite over at Citywalk, but since we left earlier than I expected, we chose to go to Disney Springs! (Shhhh, I still call it Downtown Disney) Dinner and shopping? Sounds like a good night to me! I was eager to see all the changes that took place in my absence!

Joe's step mom gave me this for my birthday, so I had to model it for her back home! :)

51AB59BD-A0E2-4CE7-A8A4-6F5C7A4D9F8A_zpscgqoiggr.jpg

Fortunate for us, Riverside has a boat over to Disney Springs! This is one serious perk! We were super thrilled to be hopping on a boat, just feet from our room! Our transportation checklist was now complete! A plane, a bus, the monorail and now a boat! And all not driven by me! What a great vacation!

BC958248-EEC9-4124-9EF6-362510E9FD9D_zpsjb5lspkm.jpg

7A9F1D16-8497-4D71-B9CF-205CF092EEF8_zpsuc0oaoja.jpg

We were the only ones for just a couple of minutes, the boat soon filled up! They told us the ride over would be a mere 18 minutes, and it went by way too fast! We passed the treehouse villas, and I told Joe that one day we would be staying there! A familiar view soon came into focus, even if it doesn’t look that way in the photo :p

3BB486F8-9546-4BC6-8610-2FC32D0B0ACF_zpske3rks4a.jpg

That dang balloon! One of these days, I will fly high in the sky!

3ECE0CE8-A4BC-4EB7-A20A-062DB3190AC6_zpsbyjsspdf.jpg

We had no real destination, so once on dry land, we wandered. I guess I can’t comment on the new bus drop off situation, since I took the boat! It felt like the same old Downtown Disney to me!

We contemplated forgoing dinner and just going to Ghiradelli, those open doors wafting out the ice-cream smell is to die for. Ice cream is not a meal; ice cream is not a meal; ice cream is not a meal. I kept repeating this mantra to myself. Don’t do it, Nicole! T-Rex looked popping so we sadly walked right on by.

We heard live music, so we headed that way. It was coming from Raglan Road, outside! We went up to the check-in and asked how long the wait was for two. They informed us that outside was seat yourself, first come first serve. It proved to be perfect timing, because just as we were coming another couple was leaving. YAYYYY!!!

08519AFC-B0C3-44C8-8371-55C2226342BE_zpsh6vw34au.jpg

We placed drink orders, Joe a beer, me a cider.

061F5435-77CB-4384-A46A-26D9C402B483_zpsxamdhruk.jpg

I have never had alcoholic ciders besides the apple they release for fall. Reading @Ciara ’s trip report always made me want to try more flavors- it’s just that they don’t sell this type of stuff in Philly! What the heck! This cider was amazing! Strawberry-lime to die for it should be renamed! We sipped slowly while we pondered the menu. Although we were hungry, we weren’t starving, so we couldn’t decide if we should get multiple appetizers or split a entrée.. Decisions, decisions.

AC08F085-EA66-4FEC-AC11-031687690CAA_zps1cxskpp1.jpg

First out came the bread, with a sweet honey like dip. It was really good! I am not sure what the dip was, it had such a unique flavor. Joe and I kept sampling, trying to pinpoint what exactly it was, anyone know? And check out those cute little plates- it seemed like I was at my grandma’s eating on her fine china… the little things that make the meal so much better! HOW ADORABLE IS THAT PLATE?!

We decided to share the braised be beef, with horseradish mashed potatoes and roasted carrots and parsnips.

079B522D-05DA-47A8-899B-29F726ED8B22_zpsknjaop6v.jpg

You know those home cooked meals that remind you of your grandparents? Yeah, this was one of those. It was served in a pot, and it was delicious! Warm, cozy, listening to Irish music outside at Disney? IT WAS A PERFECT NIGHT. In the end, we probably should have ordered two, because the meal was devoured in 5 minutes flat. It was that tasty. I would love to try Raglan Road again for a full on meal. I can see why they get rave reviews!

We stayed until the band finished their set, and then it was off to shop! I told Joe I wanted a new Dooney for my birthday, so it was time to treat myself. We walked through the World of Disney and suddenly, my bee sting from yesterday started bothering me. Maybe it was because I was wearing long pants, but it started causing me pain. I wanted to continue on at the stores, but Joe promised me we would come back. I obviously wasn’t feeling myself if I couldn’t even shop! Shopping is my middle name! I had been texting with my mom, and she checked in old home remedy book for ideas we could try to ease my pain.

Had to stop for this photo on the way back to the boat..

8204479B-37C1-4BFC-84C4-78848CA91C2A_zps4lwexwk8.jpg

Of course Joe cut it off so I made him take it again.

71AAD756-4451-4E69-B90C-11E734CFDE2C_zpsdaq2otrw.jpg

Not much better. LOL, we both are very, very awful! Guess I won't be sending this as my Holiday card! :p

We perused through the candy store, I wanted everything! Why oh why mister bee did you sting me?! In and out, I dreamed of what candy I would buy later on…

The line for the boat looked extremely long, so we power walked our behinds over to the loading area. We should have attempted jogging, but who am I kidding… we were still stuffed!

Thankfully, the boat was for Port Orleans still had room for two more, and back on board we went! We chatted with a little princess, who was celebrating her birthday this week too!

We got back to Riverside, and went to check out the store. I bought EXPENSIVE Benadryl, Joe found a man with a cigarette, and this happened….

B514D604-27FE-469A-B1E9-D34669D4BD41_zpshdywytb5.jpg

Thanks for the home remedy mom! This looks tremendously wrong, but I promise it was innocent! My mom told me to put wet tobacco leaves on the sting and it would take away any pain... LOL

8F396ACD-3E9D-4D13-894C-3B5C1DE3B103_zps8feaffca.jpg

So gross, I am sorry but this is the reporting I must do for all you fine people! LOL

Drowsy from benedryl, smelling of my grandpa, I was soon falling into dreamland. Things happen for a reason, and maybe it was for the best that we called it a night and went to bed early! We had a long day ahead of us, a great big beautiful tomorrow. Or was it? Tomorrow was Election Day (dun dun DUN)… and Epcot (and grey goose slushies) were calling our names!

:)

CaliKris

I do remember that Nickelodeon show with the "pie pod" that kids sat in to get a pie in the face. My kids used to watch it which makes me now feel old, but all Disney lovers are young at heart, right?! They always wanted to stay at that Nickelodeon hotel, but we never got a chance.

Can't wait to hear about your time in Diagon Alley. The Hogwarts Express is so cool, isn't it? It is different depending on which direction you take it.

BuddyThomas

Nov 5th

The mine train is so much fun! It’s a really quick ride, but it encompasses both classic Disney dark ride, and new Disney thrill. I think it was much needed in New Fantasyland… now just give us a Belle dark ride and I’ll be REALLY impressed.

71C029EC-5BBC-4D49-B0D6-14ACC3C6E717_zpsypzsimcd.jpg

Joe agreed, he loved it but wished it were just a little bit longer! We tried to make our cart rock as much as possible…

While waiting to exit, I tried to capture a picture of the next train coming down the hill…

C2B8C653-CA1A-4FFE-BB87-D43DFF019009_zpsskyinifd.jpg

2352689D-0464-4149-9EC4-8B2B49B3B48C_zpstdckek9u.jpg

SUCCESS! I was so proud of myself!

The park was becoming super busy, and the wait times for everything were extremely high. I didn’t know that the Cubs players were also going to be there that day to celebrate their World Series win, so I think this accounted for some of the crowds. We saw so many guests wearing Cubs shirts and carrying around flags… what an awesome place to celebrate!

C00E9536-C9F2-4CBA-A6AE-6DDF5C89B12E_zps76d7t3kb.jpg

We decided since we were right there, we would hop on Prince Charming’s Carrousel. I was trying to remember a Disney fact I read having to do something with Philadelphia and its connection, but of course my brain failed me and I had to Google it when I got off.

The carousel was originally built by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company in 1917 and it was originally known as the “Liberty Carousel”. That’s why there are all those golden eagles! It previously was in Detroit and New Jersey (my home sweet home)! I found out on that Google search that each horse could be valued at more than $100,000, so basically you’re riding on a goldmine. And they are also decorated with 23 karat gold leaf… the things you learn! They are also all white because the horses that pulled Cinderella’s carriage were white, and most people pick a white horse because they associate them with heroes. Look at Pegasus! Okay, I’m rambling again…

BB31C9F1-C5F9-429C-BA06-5FC728A2AEC8_zps27dtkesp.jpg

5BC88AC5-90E0-46DC-9AAD-C68E48241E48_zpsf4agxxlz.jpg

We may have been the only adults without children on at that time, but carousels are for the young and the young at heart. For children, it offers a magical horse ride to places only the imagination can take you. For the young at heart (or full grown children as I like to refer to myself) it brings back fond memories of childhood, when the world was full of wonder and the possibilities in front of you were endless.

Fantasyland was getting super crowded; I almost got run down by three strollers. Joe and I decided to head to the front of the park and stroll through some stores and just take in the surroundings.
54F11C25-52EE-4D35-9E4A-821808F25DF0_zps56gj5z2w.jpg

152B3C3A-CA28-4E42-9FDE-7014B07C9393_zpsububzaey.jpg

I really liked the new castle turrets!

We got some photopass pictures taken on Main Street, and although they kind of look like engagement photos, sadly they are not! Ugh! Joe threw a wrench in my plans to mail these out to every single person we know! LOL

B42AD3E8-5212-46E0-83EB-B2B3A4F39BAB_zpszmkygd2x.jpg

I loved this magic shot. It first appeared on my app without the balloons put in, and man it looked strange!

EF5A358A-8E06-4FDF-9762-36784280FFAF_zpszolkqgeh.jpg

C6B425F7-2CD0-419F-8F96-72410D236175_zpsad2kajzz.jpg

4E40995A-3DD7-4718-AB1A-594D2F6F5365_zpsvdox82xr.jpg

108CC6F5-DC92-49E9-92EB-B6FCD01889FF_zpsmswsp2uf.jpg

When I look at these pictures now, I really think I look like a princess. MUHAHA…My pink Toms look like princess slippers don’t they? DON’T I LOOK LIKE A PRINCESS??? You must answer this yes!

BDE1E343-BAD3-4AB0-AA1F-80BDC772C702_zpspwzej86w.jpg

E3D01FBA-92B4-4F16-8F19-4FA30BA51083_zpsjd10w3pz.jpg

We continued our journey up Main Street, USA and ran into some familiar voices!

A9B603C1-3D5D-4CB5-912E-16EEFD98A721_zpszmdp2iei.jpg

The Dapper Dans singing Christmas carols! Who doesn’t love this barbershop quartet? This was Joe’s first time seeing them, and I think he was pretty entertained! They really put me into that Christmas spirit, even though it was only a few days after Halloween!

And good thing, because Magic Kingdom’s tree is massive!

75B3D956-0753-4CA3-A285-EBDCB5D93664_zpsrzrbivs4.jpg

I could stare at the decorations in MK all day. It’s so beautiful all dressed up for the season. Magic Kingdom takes my breath away to the point where I’m a 95 year old asthmatic, so you could just imagine all the feels I was feeling.

C289E746-BE48-4104-9A75-CF421D1558AD_zpswy7ygj57.jpg

9DDF94F6-84C5-4EB0-AFD1-C58CB9625524_zpsfrvqqi0f.jpg

There’s nothing like Main Street for Christmas. NOTHING. I don’t even think the sight of my first born will compare.

I’m walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!!!!!!!!!!!
You two are so cute together and this trip report is awesome!

Courtney6682

Joe got a Bud Light (booooooooooring) and I tried the Golden Monkey. The alcohol by volume for my beer was 9.5%. Let me repeat, 9.5%. I am a lightweight. Combine this with an empty stomach, I am a drunk.

Same thing happened to me! My husband needed a little liquid courage for EE last Spring. I asked for a sip of his Golden Monkey and he said I would hate it! I am not a drinker, so after a few sips I was feelin' it! We're from Philly too, so I was excited that it would probably be easy to find at home since it was from a local brewery, and it is. If you're ever looking for it and the place you're at doesn't have it, ask for a Dirt Wolf. Victory also makes it and it it VERY similar to Golden Monkey!

LeighM

I used to LOVE Nickelodeon. Until we got a cable box at home, we had an antenna (yep that shows my age LOL) so I was only able to watch Nick when we were on vacation. Those moments of drinking my orange juice in bed, watching shows like Clarissa Explains it All, Double Dare, GUTS, Wild and Crazy Kids, and Legends of the Hidden Temple were some of my best memories LOL. Then when we upgraded to cable and I could actually watch the shows in my own room was a brain exploding experience to a kid like me!!! Of course, we only had the Disney Channel during the free preview weeks so I would always make sure to watch the Mickey Mouse Club during that brief moment in time :inlove:

And we went to Raglan Road in October and we picked the best time ever to have dinner. Seriously, I didn't even plan it like that either but here was our view:
20161005_160703.jpg

The table was right up front and center so we had a great view of the dancing and band. It was great!!!! I didn't tell my husband about the shows in case we weren't seated in the proper room so he was beyond excited. We both love Irish music and dancing so it was the best! Turned out to be our best dinner experience during our trip since Hurricane Matthew stole my 'Ohana and Boma reservations :cry: I just made the mistake of ordering chicken pot pie, during the heat/humidity of FL, while sitting thisclose to the stage lights. Total fail LOL.

And speaking of painful insect bites. A fire ant bit me during my second stay at Riverside. I was wearing pants and one lone ant crawled up my pants and got me - thankfully it was just around my ankle :eek: I didn't know what stung me at first but when I said something to a cast member when buying Band Aids and they asked if I had a huge blister, that's when they told me what it was. I can't imagine the pain of being attacked by a colony of those little *#$*@!$!!!

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Grey Goose Slushes can cure almost anything:inlove::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic::angelic:
I agree! They are so delicious, another recipe I need to try LOL

What happen in WDW, stays in WDW . . .;)
I need a shirt that says that! LOL :)

Wow $12 for the Uber back from Universal -I'm sure it cost us more than that around 10 years ago, and that's the cider we drink so if you get real withdrawal symptoms maybe I can see how much it would cost to ship some over to you! :)
AHHHH!!! You ship me cider, I'll ship you Disney Target clothing... I knew there was a divine reason we met :p

Rekorerlig is so delicious! Strawberry and lime is my favorite but Pear is lovely too :)
I want to try pear! I need to find this stuff to buy!!!

The dipping sauce for the bread at Raglan Road is a reduction of Guiness...I love it :)
Thank you! It was soooo yummy and I would have never ever guessed that! I feel so smart now that I know!

I've had to do the tobacco remedy before too :( Bee stings hurt!! I still have a scar from mine several years ago. Hope yours is feeling all better now!
It's definitely better now, but there is a circle on the back of my leg still- not sure from the sting or from being stained with tobacco! LOL.. I will remember it as my AK tattoo :) We hopefully are in the clear from bees for a little while! Those mean bees!

Finally caught up! First of all, I lived right outside of Seaside until 3rd grade when we moved to southern Ocean County and then a few years ago I moved to Nashville.. I MISS the boardwalk so much!! And WAWA!!!

Loving your report! 157 days until my trip!!!
AHHH!! The thing I hated about North Jersey was the lack of Wawas! I loved gettting a SUB sandwich down the shore... now it's hoagie fest.. guess I'm a Philly/ South Jersey girl now :( What a small world LOL... I love the boardwalk- I don't think it's ever changed! Can't wait for your trip! It will be here soon and I will happy dance for you!

Did I see that you were wearing your MagicBand while at Universal??? How did security miss this!!! :p
Muhahah... I can never take it off! That is my lifeline... and I loved looking down at Mickey's head way toooooo much :)

This trip report is very entertaining. Thanks for sharing. I love Raglan Road. My favorite spot in Disney Springs.
Thank you for reading and commenting! Glad you are enjoying it.. sometimes I'm like is anybody reading the garbage? LOL

I do remember that Nickelodeon show with the "pie pod" that kids sat in to get a pie in the face. My kids used to watch it which makes me now feel old, but all Disney lovers are young at heart, right?! They always wanted to stay at that Nickelodeon hotel, but we never got a chance.
Can't wait to hear about your time in Diagon Alley. The Hogwarts Express is so cool, isn't it? It is different depending on which direction you take it.
What happened to the Nickelodeon hotel? I want to stay there!! And we will always be young at heart! I miss the good old days of Nick! And I loved the Hogwarts express.. we did ride it both ways because we heard there were different scenes! Good thing for all the research/ forums/ people giving me advice other wise I would have missed so much at Uni!

Seriously obsessed with your TR, i need more more more lol. I was so excited to see you tagged me about the cider :inlove: Now i need to try all the ciders you have been having in this TR!
Yes you do! Every time I would order a cider I thought of you, in a totally not creepy way! LOL Thanks for inspiring me... I loved them all! I am now obsessed with ciders! Glad you are following along, I can't wait for your next trip!!

Wow, this is so cool! I'm glad you had a wonderful trip! And sorry about Rivers of Light not premiering for you. If anyone deserved it -- it was you.
Thank you for reading! And I was so bummed about ROL... but now it just gives me an excuse to go back. I am sort of happy they didn't give a precise opening date just yet because I don't think I am strong enough to not book a weekend trip down there to just check it out! Gimme some time to work some overtime and then you can open dear ROL :)

You two are so cute together and this trip report is awesome!
I am happy you are reading!!! I hope I drank enough to do you justice!

I did a bit of looking for you and there are step by step video instructions for Butterbeer on youtube a few too many to link
AHHHH-- heading right over there!!! :)

It was called what would you do
THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same thing happened to me! My husband needed a little liquid courage for EE last Spring. I asked for a sip of his Golden Monkey and he said I would hate it! I am not a drinker, so after a few sips I was feelin' it! We're from Philly too, so I was excited that it would probably be easy to find at home since it was from a local brewery, and it is. If you're ever looking for it and the place you're at doesn't have it, ask for a Dirt Wolf. Victory also makes it and it it VERY similar to Golden Monkey!
Thank you for the recommendation! The Golden Monkey was strong, but sneaky! It tasted tooo good to be so strong! Cheers to a fellow light weight :)

I used to LOVE Nickelodeon. Until we got a cable box at home, we had an antenna (yep that shows my age LOL) so I was only able to watch Nick when we were on vacation. Those moments of drinking my orange juice in bed, watching shows like Clarissa Explains it All, Double Dare, GUTS, Wild and Crazy Kids, and Legends of the Hidden Temple were some of my best memories LOL. Then when we upgraded to cable and I could actually watch the shows in my own room was a brain exploding experience to a kid like me!!! Of course, we only had the Disney Channel during the free preview weeks so I would always make sure to watch the Mickey Mouse Club during that brief moment in time :inlove:
And we went to Raglan Road in October and we picked the best time ever to have dinner. Seriously, I didn't even plan it like that either but here was our view:
View attachment 178367
The table was right up front and center so we had a great view of the dancing and band. It was great!!!! I didn't tell my husband about the shows in case we weren't seated in the proper room so he was beyond excited. We both love Irish music and dancing so it was the best! Turned out to be our best dinner experience during our trip since Hurricane Matthew stole my 'Ohana and Boma reservations :cry: I just made the mistake of ordering chicken pot pie, during the heat/humidity of FL, while sitting thisclose to the stage lights. Total fail LOL.
And speaking of painful insect bites. A fire ant bit me during my second stay at Riverside. I was wearing pants and one lone ant crawled up my pants and got me - thankfully it was just around my ankle :eek: I didn't know what stung me at first but when I said something to a cast member when buying Band Aids and they asked if I had a huge blister, that's when they told me what it was. I can't imagine the pain of being attacked by a colony of those little *#$*@!$!!!
First of all, your childhood sounds all too familiar to mine! I would seriously get soooooooooooo excited when we got the free previews of Disney Channel! I remember begging my mom for it but she would never cave. The kids these days have no idea how good they have it! And all those shows you mentioned, I loved them all! I remember loving Legends of the Hidden Temple and wanting to sign up! LOL OMEC! The 90s were the best... I found a channel that sometimes plays these shows late at night and I am just on Cloud 9!
Raglan Road was awesome! I kept telling myself we have so many Irish pubs around here that I shouldn't make an ADR there- but next trip I must! I really enjoyed it! Sorry about your Ohana and Boma ressies, but it just means you must go back!
UGH! A fire ant?! I would be screaming! I thought I had a high pain tolerance but the bee proved me wrong. I would die if I was attacked by a whole colony... I was so prepared for the mosquitos and the running from zika that I would have never thought I'd be stung by a freaking bee! LOL

prfctlyximprct

Original Poster
Nov 8th

ELECTION DAY. Joe and I woke up and I felt like you could already feel the tension in the air. We got ready to Stacy- we vowed we wouldn’t check anything having to do with the election until we came back to our room at night. Whatever happened was going to happen, and we didn’t want to obsess over the news while in Disney.

We had food to eat, a world to soar over, and drinks to be drank (drink drank drunk)… EPCOT HERE WE COME!

B92FE41A-E432-462B-BC35-E6328E31307B_zpsnsifw5h9.jpg

Despite ignoring the election, we dressed the part :)

182AD5FA-A288-405D-A42F-1977970A4512_zpsx00zzoue.jpg

Since I had to choose between Frozen and the new Soarin’ for fastpass, I decided to forego the Soarin’ fastpass. Who am I, I know! BUT...The run to The Land is much shorter than the run to World Showcase. ;) (fat girl problems)

We got to park before opening, so we were inside right at 9. I was freaking out on the inside, would I like the new Soarin’? Did they butcher my ride? Joe tried to calm my anxiety, and to just go in with an open mind.

5D8B22AD-2B8A-4CE9-8796-12EC18EE8F27_zpsjqhdjcgq.jpg

I snapped this picture for a friend; she recently got engaged to a man from Scotland! I got the answer wrong, and now I don’t remember what it is! Somebody help me! I wasn’t thinking clearly… I was about to soar, AROUND THE WORLD.

We started to watch the screens overhead, and it was interesting to see all the places we would hang-glide over. Switzerland, Germany, Australia, India, Egypt, the list went on! The preshow came on and I spotted a familiar face… PATRICK!!! My dear, beloved, Mickey-ear wearing Patrick. I was overjoyed that he survived the update!

14B00C93-F0F2-4C30-B5E1-BCB909E4B393_zpsooroiwhj.jpg

Snapped a selfie of me being a rebel, oops- I’m pulling a Patrick. Put your ears in the underside compartment, Nicole! :p

And then we soared…over the world. How did I feel about it? I think I’m in the minority here, but I was yearning for my old Soarin’. :( Don’t get me wrong, all the new places we flew over were breathtaking, the music is reminiscent of the original, and they had the accompanying smells, but it just wasn’t the same to me! As I said before, I hate giving my opinion after doing something just once, and felt like I didn’t fully appreciate the experience just yet, but my first impression was just “eh”. Instead of my familiar orange groves, the new scents included dirt from Africa, an ocean breeze over Fiji and flowers over India. The attraction is exceptionally well done, and if I didn’t hold such an attachment to the original, I would have been blow away. Blown so far away my hang-glider would be stuck in a tree somewhere.

Joe and I discussed our feelings over breakfast. This croissant chocolate thing was SO GOOD. And check out those cream cheese spreading skills!

6876C861-A76A-43DB-ADEB-A6D1714864BA_zpsq31nmor4.jpg

We had a fastpass for Soarin’ later on in the trip, and I told him I would refrain from fully stating how I felt until I rode again. I was tempted to watch the California version on YouTube while I ate, but then thought the new one wouldn’t fully sink in if I did. Joe didn’t remember the original, so of course he absolutely loved it. I guess that's a perk of not being obsessed with Disney attractions!

33FD09C0-C2C3-4572-91BE-6FAFF344B623_zpsvyrvged7.jpg

Living with the Land had a 15 minute wait, so we headed there next. I adore this ride.

CA368F19-F97F-4E30-9F51-A160FB176362_zpshdcsho1i.jpg

64D82777-3CD7-4150-9FC1-EA7690B785CD_zpszvn10uf1.jpg

We had front row, and I don’t think I’ve ever sat in the front before. It was neat to come up on everything without an impaired view, it really changes the experience! Joe remembered this ride perfectly, it’s crazy what stuck in his head versus what didn’t. Um Joe, how do you remember this over Soarin’?! What the heck is wrong with you? LOL

50D8F218-178D-4491-942D-659D99B4E517_zpsgrarqcsa.jpg

We left The Land, and wanted to head over to Spaceship Earth, but the wait time was over an hour! I told Joe there was no way we could wait that long, so instead we headed to Mission Space. The wait was a more reasonable 25 minutes, and we had time to kill before World Showcase officially opened.

We caught some of the Muppet Mobile Lab on the way over… HOW DO THEY DO THIS?!

455F553B-3868-4D81-9C20-7E9E1E99F8A5_zpso5jndxcr.jpg

1773A36E-C49A-4383-88BC-E561EEF9C2AF_zpsqlrvgd2x.jpg

F8363B3E-D874-40A3-8F44-50E2AD23F742_zpskl3obm67.jpg

They first asked an older man what was currently thinking, and Dr. Bunsen Honeydew announced he was dreaming about churros. Then they asked a little boy what was on his mind, and he announced that he was thinking of how many miles it was from Earth around the circumference of the moon and then back around the circumference of the Mars… it was pretty hysterical. Joe and I were cracking up. I still don’t understand how this thing works! If you can get a chance to see it, DO IT! I hope they keep this around, these magical interactions leave lasting memories.

We chose to ride Orange… well; really I chose and didn’t tell Joe the difference.

E5381AC0-B2C7-424E-BABC-18AA8D398244_zpsexcvrder.jpg

Right before we got on, Joe asked why they had soooo many warnings, and I told him a little boy passed away after riding. Guess I should have waited until after we rode… Ooops!

We both felt fine, thank goodness, after we got off the attraction. I always feel bad for Mission Space; it really is a great attraction that gets a bad rap. I know they probably have to give all those warnings, but it does make it unnecessarily scary.

We waved good-bye to Mars and headed off into festival land. Food? Wine? FOOD AND WINE? Could it get any better?

6C10D177-2477-43F5-914C-8333A964ECB9_zpsuecsnjpt.jpg

These awkward photos are compliments of Joe. I hogged the area for a good two minutes before feeling like a total nerd. :)

131D247A-68A0-44AC-9CD0-5A699ACCCB5E_zpsskqvofu6.jpg

D253FF4D-BF0E-4F1E-A451-12671A6F833B_zpsdzhmetx4.jpg

The aroma coming from the food booths had me salivating like a dog, but first, we had a fastpass to use!

77572C72-8B4F-4739-BC25-B38A02045F81_zps3hmymqf1.jpg

F590E1DF-1A0F-4E4B-8CBB-20B16E46EF53_zpspom0hkxk.jpg

Would Arendelle live up to the hype? Would I continue my Disney snob attitude of disliking change? Could this beat Maelstrom and the voice that beckoned to riders “those who seek the spirit of Norway face peril and adventure, but more often fine beauty and charm”?

Only time would tell! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom