No resort or dining reservations tomorrow?

JChoma

Original Poster
This just popped up in MDE. Didn't they just do this a few weeks back, too?

Attachments

• June_22.png
    June_22.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 143

rob0519

Disney's 'World Class' IT strikes again, No other hotel chain needs to take their reservation system offline to load pricing and inventory.
No other hotel chain has the only game of it's kind in town. Westin systems down? Book Hilton, Holiday Inn, Marriott, etc. Disney systems down? Too bad. They know you will wait and keep calling back. No point in spending money on Continuous Availability when that money could be better spent on maintenance and replacement of monorail cars.....Oh wait.....Never mind.

drizgirl

No other hotel chain has the only game of it's kind in town. Westin systems down? Book Hilton, Holiday Inn, Marriott, etc. Disney systems down? Too bad. They know you will wait and keep calling back. No point in spending money on Continuous Availability when that money could be better spent on maintenance and replacement of monorail cars.....Oh wait.....Never mind.
Just because they can get away with it doesn't mean they should be ok with it.

They should be embarrassed as a company to have this be the face of their business.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Just because they can get away with it doesn't mean they should be ok with it.

They should be embarrassed as a company to have this be the face of their business.

I am sure if we were able to ask Disney, they would give us an explanation that is somewhat reasonable.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The problem is that they consider "we didn't want to spend what it would take" is reasonable.

I just have a hard time putting stories like this together with the story of them outsourcing all those IT positions and not thinking it's a money issue.

Well, I can't tell you why they have had this downtime. But what I can tell you with certainty is that every hotel reservation system, whether WDW, Hilton, Marriott, etc., has its own unique limitations. And downtimes can and do occur throughout the industry, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. Some of these system limitations I referred to may be more noticeable to the customers, some may be less so. But each of these companies will work within these limitations. Also, not all can be corrected with a simple enhancement to the system. It may require a complete renovation of the system, which is not something that can be done cheaply, or quickly. Given that, I would say give Disney the benefit of the doubt in this case.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
The problem is that they consider "we didn't want to spend what it would take" is reasonable.

I just have a hard time putting stories like this together with the story of them outsourcing all those IT positions and not thinking it's a money issue.

Dont confuse system design with routine maintenance. Doesnt matter what country the meat sits in, if the system design requires a central table to be loaded before it can be cached by multiple systems to handle the load then its natural that it will take time.

CaptainAmerica

Disney's 'World Class' IT strikes again, No other hotel chain needs to take their reservation system offline to load pricing and inventory.
That would be a reasonable statement if Disney were a hotel chain. They're not. There are many disparate systems involved in booking Walt Disney World reservations, with separate IT infrastructure for rooms, tickets, dining plans, dining reservations, recreation, and packages involving some combination of those things. If you want to question their system architecture, that's probably a fair debate. But it's inaccurate to use "other hotel chains" as your analogy.

drizgirl

Well, I can't tell you why they have had this downtime. But what I can tell you with certainty is that every hotel reservation system, whether WDW, Hilton, Marriott, etc., has its own unique limitations. And downtimes can and do occur throughout the industry, sometimes intentionally, sometimes not. Some of these system limitations I referred to may be more noticeable to the customers, some may be less so. But each of these companies will work within these limitations. Also, not all can be corrected with a simple enhancement to the system. It may require a complete renovation of the system, which is not something that can be done cheaply, or quickly. Given that, I would say give Disney the benefit of the doubt in this case.

I guess my issue isn't so much a planned, announced outage. (Although I'm thinking that last one went on longer than they announced it would.) To me the biggest issue is the predictability with which the system "crashes" any time a new promotion or offering is brought online.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom