No More Luxo :-(

JWG

Saw him during the day in Jan. Awesome... loved it hope it's not ture.
I immediately thought April Fool's, but today is the 2nd.

Still could be though... I'm not buying it until it's official.

NewfieFan

I never got to see it. It had been removed already on our last trip in December for sure.

I just posted that I saw Luxo Jr. the first week of March!

I would rather see Luxo Jr. over the Yeti too! (Don't hate me!) Anybody can enjoy the dancing lamp!

Rob562

While I don't have any info on Luxo's status, I guess it's possible that this is true. The Luxo AA was a prototype animatronic using electrical actuators and not hydraulics like most AAs.

There could have been unforseen issues that they couldn't predict or plan for until they got him installed. It may be that the outdoor conditions (even if he didn't play during bad weather) just weren't compatible with the technology.

Sad that I didn't get to the Studios to check him out back in September.

-Rob

Jerriko

if this is true then it is going the way of Lucky the Dinosaur and Mobile muppet labs. teasing us with these cool animatronics then taking them away

hack2112

if this is true then it is going the way of Lucky the Dinosaur and Mobile muppet labs. teasing us with these cool animatronics then taking them away
Actually, Lucky is still entertaining guests. It's just become a very special and intimate encounter.

IWant2GoNow

Honestly, I think I'd rather see them fix Luxo Jr. than the Yeti.

Ut oh... thems fightin' words. :lol:

I'm gonna be the greedy Dis-nerd who says he wants both. I'm getting kind of tired of new things being added and then having them taken away or degrade to the point of embarrassment. :(

jt04

Had an update on this, it does appear to be the case that Luxo is no more. A real shame. :(

I'm guessing it is a result of the lawsuit with the lamp company and not maintenance issues. I'd guess something else might show up as a substitute. And there were rumors of something being added to the Monsters Inc arch when they built it. So, in the long run I expect they will get some equally exciting adds to Pixar Place. Luxo was great while it lasted though.

Rob562

I'm guessing it is a result of the lawsuit with the lamp company and not maintenance issues. I'd guess something else might show up as a substitute. And there were rumors of something being added to the Monsters Inc arch when they built it. So, in the long run I expect they will get some equally exciting adds to Pixar Place. Luxo was great while it lasted though.

I'd be more inclined to believe it was the lawsuit if the static black mini-Luxo disappears from the Pixar Place street sign, too.

But my understanding of the lawsuit was that it was strictly about Disney/Pixar selling their own reproduction lamps, which in turn cheapened the Luxo brandname. It had nothing to do with Pixar using the lamp at all.

Now... If the AA Luxo replaced the static red lamp next to Mr. Potatohead in the TSMM queue and the two of them interacted with each other, THAT would be beyond awesome...

-Rob

Horizons1

Well that's lame. It was a neat little plus to the area. It wasn't required to have a good time, but it did make Pixar Place (that's still a terrible name) more lively. Shame.

EpcotServo

While I'm still doubting this, I can provide that yes, he does have technical problems often, but nothing is wrong with him as long as he receives upkeep. If it is true, then it's purely because they are done paying for the frequent mechanical care.

In short, if true, Disney World is being a cheapass again. There would be no other reason.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom