NO MORE AP PAYMENT PLAN?

SSG

Original Poster
MiceChat went with this rumor today:

RUMOR PATROL – This may be your last week to buy an annual pass with the monthly payment plan option. All signs point to new annual pass pricing rolling out this coming Sunday. The good news is that prices shouldn’t be going up very much and in some cases may even be cheaper than current prices (on renewals). We know the park has been struggling with how to deal with pass holder overcrowding at the resort and payment plans are seen as the main culprit. It’s very likely that the payment plan option will either be completely removed or only remain available for renewals. This is a good time for you to buy that pass or renew . . . just in case.

JD2000

MiceChat went with this rumor today:

RUMOR PATROL – This may be your last week to buy an annual pass with the monthly payment plan option. All signs point to new annual pass pricing rolling out this coming Sunday. The good news is that prices shouldn’t be going up very much and in some cases may even be cheaper than current prices (on renewals). We know the park has been struggling with how to deal with pass holder overcrowding at the resort and payment plans are seen as the main culprit. It’s very likely that the payment plan option will either be completely removed or only remain available for renewals. This is a good time for you to buy that pass or renew . . . just in case.
I am preying that helps to alleviate the crowds; especially on pathways and such. How are you suppose to enjoy the Park's themed lands themselves when you need to worry about navigating everyone around you. We don't even want to return until this problem is dealt with. Not with all the money we spend as tourists (airfare, tickets, food, etc.)

D

Deleted member 107043

This is inevitable, especially after this past Christmas when the parks had several days of massive overcrowding even after 2016's big price increases . I'm expecting more AP admissions media tweaks and price adjustments leading up to the opening of SW Land.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevek

My wife and I have recently talked about getting passes again...guess I better do it this week if we want to be part of the monthly payment plan problem : )

Earl Sweatpants

So...just so I understand this...the goal is to do away with payment plans and thus hurt those who might not have gobs of money to dump all at once in order to...alleviate overcrowding?

D

Deleted member 107043

So...just so I understand this...the goal is to do away with payment plans and thus hurt those who might not have gobs of money to dump all at once in order to...alleviate overcrowding?

Yes.

Payment plans were instituted several years back when attendance was sluggish. The assumption was that payment plans were meant to be a crutch stabilizing slow AP renewals. Now that DLR attendance has rebounded, DCA is flying high, DL is frequently at or over capacity, and SW Land is on the horizon, several of us have argued that payment plans are no longer needed. It'll be very interesting to see how locals react to this news if and when it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earl Sweatpants

Yes.

Payment plans were instituted several years back when attendance was sluggish. The assumption was that payment plans were meant to a crutch to stabilize to shore up slow AP renewals. Now that DLR attendance has rebounded, DCA is flying high, DL is frequently at or over capacity, and SW Land is on the horizon, several of us have been arguing for a while now that payment plans are no longer needed. It'll be very interesting to see how locals react to this news if and when it happens.
My guess is not good, unless they've already re-upped their passes before this takes effect. And just wait until they raise overall ticket prices too. In a round-about way, it appears they're trying to help people enjoy Disneyland, by making other people mad at Disney...brilliant!

SuddenStorm

I never thought they'd eliminate the payment plan. Why wouldn't they want families giving them $1000+ per person, even if it's over the course of a year? Not to mention all the food and merchandise that family purchases over the course of the year.

The parks, while often busy, are not often at capacity, so I would have just expected them to raise prices, adjust blackout dates, but keep the payment plan.

This should cause either a ton of people lowering their pass to one of the socal ones, or just giving it up all together.

Earl Sweatpants

I never thought they'd eliminate the payment plan. Why wouldn't they want families giving them $1000+ per person, even if it's over the course of a year? Not to mention all the food and merchandise that family purchases over the course of the year.

The parks, while often busy, are not often at capacity, so I would have just expected them to raise prices, adjust blackout dates, but keep the payment plan.

This should cause either a ton of people lowering their pass to one of the socal ones, or just giving it up all together.
That's a good point. If the non-payment plans drive people away, Disney has to realize they're not just losing $$ on those passes, but also food and merch that those people were likely to purchase. To counter that, they'll have to jack up costs elsewhere. I predict parking will hit $20 soon.

Phroobar

I don't see why parking hasn't already hit $20. Magic Mountain's parking has been that for years and their parking lot literally stinks. I can see the payment plan disappear for all levels but the top two tier passes.That way they can push the lower tiers into the Signature tier.

Earl Sweatpants

I don't see why parking hasn't already hit $20. Magic Mountain's parking has been that for years and their parking lot literally stinks. I can see the payment plan disappear for all levels but the top two tier passes.That way they can push the lower tiers into the Signature tier.
Same. Are they trying to create a sense of affordability by making it 18 instead of 20? Trying to trick our minds with a number starting with 1? Just make it an even 20 and call it a day.

mickEblu

Yes.

Payment plans were instituted several years back when attendance was sluggish. The assumption was that payment plans were meant to a crutch to stabilize to shore up slow AP renewals. Now that DLR attendance has rebounded, DCA is flying high, DL is frequently at or over capacity, and SW Land is on the horizon, several of us have been arguing for a while now that payment plans are no longer needed. It'll be very interesting to see how locals react to this news if and when it happens.

I live an hour away from the park. Not sure if I count as a local but if they allow for payment plan renewals I'll probably take advantage. If not, I'll pay for them up front. I happen to have the Southern California passes this year but if it were one of the years I had a Premium, and had to pay up front, I would probably ask myself, "do I really need these?" Then just downgrade and pay up front. I downgraded last year even with the payment plan as an option because I realized nothing beats a Wednesday anyway.

TP2000

TDA executives are addicted to crack.

The easy, monthly rush of getting all that money instantly transferred from one million Annual Passholders bank accounts into TDA's bank account is just too addicting to pass up for them. Even though the AP's give them a million headaches logistically and financially and culturally. TDA is addicted and it is killing them.

But if this rumor really does pan out, and they begin phasing out the monthly payments, then that will be a good sign that the sober adults have taken over TDA again and they are looking towards the future. The current setup hasn't been sustainable or healthy for years, and with Star Wars Land and Marvel Land on the way there's no ability to logistically pull that off with one million passholders ready to swoop in and ruin it.

Like any addict trying to get healthy, this will be a long process with ups and downs, successes and backslides. It's going to take about two years to flush out and get under control, which creates an entirely new ticketing model by Spring, 2019.

Gee, I wonder what opens in the Spring of '19? :cool:

BrianLo

That's a good point. If the non-payment plans drive people away, Disney has to realize they're not just losing $$ on those passes, but also food and merch that those people were likely to purchase. To counter that, they'll have to jack up costs elsewhere. I predict parking will hit $20 soon.

It's a balancing act. When your parks are running empty off season, you subsidize guests any way you can. A few guests spending a bit on food or merch is better than none at all.

Now, they are running 'full'. I don't mean bumping up against capacity, but that every day tends to at least attract moderate crowds.

Currently the guests on AP's with a payment plan are highly subsidized. They may be paying less than 20$ a day, they might buy some small treats, but they are hardly making Disney money for what it costs to host them. You can lose five of them for every tourist family, who spend five times as much per day in park admissions, load up on expensive merch/expensive table service and want to return to do it again next year since the crowds are slightly better managed. The people on a monthly payment plan are (unfortunately) not the big whales that Disney makes money off of.

They may show up solo, they clog a horrible transit situation by driving their car alone or with a single partner.

This all goes into the problem of the resort being third park ready. When you are willing to let your least valuable customers go, it's time to expand to accommodate them.

Curious Constance

I say if they do away with the payment plan option, and this enrages tons of APers, let them get mad.

If they can't afford the payment up front, maybe they'll just have to realize that Disneyland is a luxury not some birth right. Some people will be able to afford to go as often as they'd like, some won't. Just like anything else in this world.

I LOVE coming to Disneyland, as does my family. We can only afford to come down once every year or two or three. Do we wish we could afford it more? Sure, but we can't. Simple as that. I'm not going to go on some rampage, or start a petition, or call Disney evil for daring to not cater everything to me and my situation. Some people are so entitled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom