No Foreigners Wanted ... at SDL?!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
As near as I can tell no one is having trouble accessing the site or picking out dates or the like at all. They just get to the point of purchase and can't do it. I'd also guess that these individuals are smart enough to have informed their credit cards companies that they are making a large purchase from China.
Point of purchase is often operated by a third party, which could well be where the issue is.

Uncle Lupe

Saw the Target website halt sales past Christmas season when an exclusive toy created huge demand. Then bought it the next day no problem. Could just be safe guarding not to entirely crash the site.

BrerJon

Aldo this isn't news relating to WDW so is it really on the right board of this forum?

Almost every cutback and decline in service over the last year or two in WDW or so has a direct causation with the cluster**** of Shanghai. We've all been told that it's worth the sacrifice of WDW going down the toilet because it will pay for Shanghai being so amazing, so if those suffering WDW patrons aren't even able to get tickets, that's something that is directly relevant.

Tigger1988

Almost every cutback and decline in service over the last year or two in WDW or so has a direct causation with the cluster**** of Shanghai. We've all been told that it's worth the sacrifice of WDW going down the toilet because it will pay for Shanghai being so amazing, so if those suffering WDW patrons aren't even able to get tickets, that's something that is directly relevant.
It's not WDW news or rumors, hence why the mods moved it.

TheDisneyMagic

Well I have just booked ours, Internet Explorer was the only browser that would work, Firefox, Edge and Chrome all had issues ranging from selecting only a single ticket in the basket even though I clicked two, to getting stuck on the payment page.

We have bought tickets for 16th - 19th. You can only buy tickets for a max of two days at a time so I had to carry out two transactions.

Hotel next as soon as they come online. :)

Last edited:

BrianLo

So the SDL website just went live and with a cursory glance at Twitter guess what? People in the USA and Europe seem to be having difficulty buying their tickets for Opening Day and beyond. Things get to the payment page ... and then nothing. No matter what platforms are used. Even if they try and buy in Chinese (could the Chinese possibly know they are on a computer outside China?!)

Very curious to see how this plays out. I only know two people here in @WDWFigment and @BrianLo who might be attempting to purchase now.

But I am sure the wording on the park's site talking about "Chinese Guests" is just a lost in translation issue. How could Disney not want ThemeParkBoy (yes, that is this dude's name who came up on the Tweeter) there? Or the wealthy lifestylers (there are some) who will charge $20,000 in SDL Opening Merchandise, so they can triple the prices and sell it on the eBay? ... Of course, maybe the CCP just doesn't care? Who knows ...

But please update this thread with experiences as the day goes along as I won't be able to do so.

Ha - goes to show how non-plussed I am... Forgot this was even happening today. Thanks for the reminder!

Purchased successfully, from my iPhone, in about five minutes. Even stupidly bought for the incorrect date and it was super easy to change the date. The mobile e-ticket is even pretty well integrated, it's animated and appears to sync into Passbook.

Granted I'm Canadian, our credit cards are always light years ahead of the US ones.

Tom

Beta Return
As near as I can tell no one is having trouble accessing the site or picking out dates or the like at all. They just get to the point of purchase and can't do it. I'd also guess that these individuals are smart enough to have informed their credit cards companies that they are making a large purchase from China.

You're giving entirely too much credit (no pun intended) to most consumers. Most won't realize they can't just start buying things from China until they get the call from their card company's fraud department.

BrianLo

And, please, let's not use the word conspiracy. It gets tacked to so many things I post here and gets tiresome, even though I know from the source you didn't mean it in a bad way.

I'm simply trying to see what is going on with potential buyers. I know Brian will be one as he has said so and I'd bet five years of In-N-Out burgers that Tom Bricker is another.

You know I totally love and respect you, but I think you misjudged this one.

It's very common for this to happen (even if it was in the middle of the morning in China). Disney's very much created a culture of book it at midnight 180 days out... Or else.

I'm generally a show up and buy a ticket at the gate kind of guy. You guys freaked me out. But ya - non issue.

lazyboy97o

You're giving entirely too much credit (no pun intended) to most consumers. Most won't realize they can't just start buying things from China until they get the call from their card company's fraud department.
I think you're giving the fraud alerts too much credit as I relatively recently just used a card without issue without a travel notice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom