No fanfare for the 50th anniversary of Pirates

TP2000

Mondrian was my first thought--as in Partridge Family bus! LOL

But I don't think this is inside the attraction--it's more likely staged at the studios.

I agree, this isn't in the actual ride pre-opening '67. It appears to be a mock up in a warehouse, likely at WED in Glendale. The floor has no "flume" and is far too shallow to accomodate the water to come, in addition to all the details you also spotted. You're a sharp kid.

Plus, even though the ladies here are not exactly hip college co-eds, they are stylish city women and the female fashions appear to me to be late 1965 to mid 1966. Fashion and hemlines were changing so fast in the 1960's that it is easy to tell the difference with women between 1965 and 1967.

This photo is not 1967, it's something a full year or two earlier. Perhaps a celebratory party at WED in Spring '66 before the sets were shipped down to Anaheim for installation?

I seem to be one of the few around tonight. so ... you are not the puffy guy on the left, without a date and hitching his pants up in front of the camera.

Seriously though, with your fabulous online persona, I have a hard time imagining you too far away from your Roger Sterling avatar. I was nine in 1966, and had to look up "Mondrian sheath dress," but once I did, memories flooded back.

You are very kind. And correct. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

But I don't think this is inside the attraction--it's more likely staged at the studios.

I went to the original source of the photo, Daveland.com, and you are correct! The caption says it was taken in Burbank, so it's very likely that the event took place at the Studio.

TP2000

I went to the original source of the photo, Daveland.com, and you are correct! The caption says it was taken in Burbank, so it's very likely that the event took place at the Studio.

It took me awhile, but I tracked that blog post down too. It was taken at the Burbank Studios.

And remember yesterday when I said this...
Plus, even though the ladies here are not exactly hip college co-eds, they are stylish city women and the female fashions appear to me to be late 1965 to mid 1966. Fashion and hemlines were changing so fast in the 1960's that it is easy to tell the difference with women between 1965 and 1967.

This photo is not 1967, it's something a full year or two earlier. Perhaps a celebratory party at WED in Spring '66 before the sets were shipped down to Anaheim for installation?

Well, I don't like to gloat or brag, but the photo in question was labeled as such... "Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean December, 1965 walk-through in Burbank."

My talents in life are simple and obscure, but one of those talents happens to be nailing down an old photo taken from mid 1950's to mid 1990's timeframe within a 12 month window, mostly based on hairdos and hemlines. And I nailed this one, didn't I gang? :rolleyes:

Old Mouseketeer

It took me awhile, but I tracked that blog post down too. It was taken at the Burbank Studios.

Well, I don't like to gloat or brag, but the photo in question was labeled as such... "Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean December, 1965 walk-through in Burbank."

My talents in life are simple and obscure, but one of those talents happens to be nailing down an old photo taken from mid 1950's to mid 1990's timeframe within a 12 month window, mostly based on hairdos and hemlines. And I nailed this one, didn't I gang? :rolleyes:

As my late mother used to say (often in the very era we are talking about), "don't break your arm patting yourself on the back".

Actually, you made an impressive call. Yes, you nailed it.

Phroobar

Your mutant super powers are impressive.

Curious Constance

Another side effect of your fanciness.

Last edited:

D.Silentu

Hi all! I'm new here, but have been enjoying your conversations for some time! It's nice to see a lively Disneyland board still exists! Really excited to jump into the soup and looking forward to your feedback.

I wanted to post here first, because I believe today marks the twentieth anniversary of the infamous "Pirates of the PC" changes. Moreover, it was the first large scale alteration to the ride since opening day. As we all know, there have been plenty more changes since then, but though it's an odd anniversary it's likely worth remembering.

mickEblu

Hi all! I'm new here, but have been enjoying your conversations for some time! It's nice to see a lively Disneyland board still exists! Really excited to jump into the soup and looking forward to your feedback.

I wanted to post here first, because I believe today marks the twentieth anniversary of the infamous "Pirates of the PC" changes. Moreover, it was the first large scale alteration to the ride since opening day. As we all know, there have been plenty more changes since then, but though it's an odd anniversary it's likely worth remembering.

Or a date to forget! Hahah

Welcome to the Angriest Place in Cyberspace.

Jkjk

mickEblu

Hahaha! That would have been the World Events board at Laughingplace.com about 8 years ago. This place is like a relaxing spa day at Disney's Grand Californian in comparison to the insanity that used to take place over there.

Speaking of the Grand Californian, looks like they re starting to work on some serious renovations.

http://www./2017/03/photos-disneyla...ornian-hotel-including-reimagined-rooms-pool/

D

Deleted member 107043

Speaking of the Grand Californian, looks like they re starting to work on some serious renovations.

http://www./2017/03/photos-disneyla...ornian-hotel-including-reimagined-rooms-pool/

They look great! I love the big new flat screen TVs (it's about time). Having stayed at the GC several times this is a nice improvement, although the room rates are so astronomical now that I can no longer justify staying there.

mickEblu

They look great! I love the big new flat screen TVs (it's about time). Having stayed at the GC several times this is a nice improvement, although the room rates are so astronomical now that I can no longer justify staying there.

When I stayed on site a couple years ago I chose the Disneyland Hotel over the GC after reading a lot of reviews about how outdated the rooms were at the GC. I would probably pick the GC now after these renovations....maybe an Off season week day though. Lol

D.Silentu

Hahaha! That would have been the World Events board at Laughingplace.com about 8 years ago. This place is like a relaxing spa day at Disney's Grand Californian in comparison to the insanity that used to take place over there.

Hi Hans. This cracks me up because I used to bum around Laughingplace way back when! Although my handle was BrnardM at the time.

Practical Pig

And welcome from a relative newcomer. I also joined because I liked the group here, appreciated the lively and civil discourse, and appreciated the high level of knowledge (exceeding mine a good deal) that many posters offer. It's a good group.

Curious Constance

When I stayed on site a couple years ago I chose the Disneyland Hotel over the GC after reading a lot of reviews about how outdated the rooms were at the GC. I would probably pick the GC now after these renovations....maybe an Off season week day though. Lol
I'd choose DL hotel over GC too. I think my kids would enjoy the slides and pool more there. We like Goofy's Kitchen too. I stayed there about 8 years ago or so, we liked it.

Also, I think an off season mid week is still like $600-$700 a night at GC!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom