No Extra Magic Hours Starting 1/1/16? Update: EMH to Continue

Brad Bishop

But that only makes sense if the hotels can maintain occupancy rates is the perk is removed. It's plausible that occupancy would take a hit without one of the main selling points used to market on property rooms.

Oh, I agree. I just think that, right now, with the parks and the resorts doing really well, that they figure people are going to come, anyway.

My personal belief is that, yes, they will come anyway, but as the perks go away, everything becomes more expensive, and things sit stagnant (DHS - unless the redoing the resort deal is true, Epcot, definitely) that, eventually, people will find a better value elsewhere. I think that they're living in a bit of a bubble now and, while they cater to customers globally, they also compete with other venues, globally. They're popular but they're not the end-all be-all that they think they are.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
So no more extra magic hours and now I need to figure out what park I'm going to be in and where/what time I want lunch at 60 days in advanced. Seems really magical to me. The Howard Johnson express on 192 is looking more magical then this.

So if you stay at the Howard Johnson you will not have to book a reservation on the park for lunch. Do not see the connection there.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Bahahahahaha.
Seems a bit crass to mock those who were concerned. I for one appreciate the watchdog mentality that was taken towards this. Im glad the claims were proven wrong, but I wouldnt laugh at anyone for thinking otherwise. If it was enough to make @lentesta investigate, thats enough justification for concern in my book.

And yes, I know, sometimes people get carried away with rumors, but considering the companies track record as of late and their desire for cutting any budget they can, someone has to man the watch tower and keep an eye out. Thank you, @ISTCNavigator57 for your diligence.

Last edited:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The enormous investment in the DVC over the last decade shows that at least some in the company see value in the wallets of returning guests. Just not those in charge of the theme parks, unfortunately.

I think the same people that run the parks also call the shots for Disney Vacation Club.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
I also agree/disagree with you about maintenance. Why does everyone talk about reducing hours available for doing maintenance. If you have fewer hours, the easy solution if to bring in more people to do it. Unlike certain activities, you can increase the crew and get more work accomplished in less time. Simple.

Not quite so simple. First you have to look at staffing of full time employees and part time employees. If you are working full time employees and reduce the possible times on site for work you have to find other work for them not in the parks. Even if the work outside the park is available you would lose some work hours moving between sites. If you reduce hours and use part time works; you have issue of turn over and availability. This is only a few examples of why you can not just bring on more people. What is best is having the right number of people to do the job using full time employees with little or no overtime.

LilWalt

Hopefully the EMH will stay. My family absolutely loves them and plan our vacation by them. Which ever park has EMH at night that is the park we plan for that day.

I agree that it takes a perk of staying on site away but like everything else, if it doesn't effect the amount of business they are getting at hotels and parks then Disney won't care whose feelings they hurt.

I often think of the company as a whole and wonder what it would be like if Walt was still making the decisions.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Seems a bit crass to mock those who were concerned. I for one appreciate the watchdog mentality that was taken towards this. Im glad the claims were proven wrong, but I wouldnt laugh at anyone for thinking otherwise. If it was enough to make @lentesta investigate, thats enough justification for concern in my book.

And yes, I know, sometimes people get carried away with rumors, but considering the companies track record as of late and their desire for cutting any budget they can, someone has to man the watch tower and keep an eye out. Thank you, @ISTCNavigator57 for your diligence.

One wonders how much the backlash from Disney Fan sites like this one and Social Media influenced that decision, I've been wondering whether this now busted rumor was a 'Trial Balloon' of sorts to gauge the reaction to cutting EMH entirely.

WDF

True enough. But it's nice for resort guests to be able to experience "the magic" before the great unwashed masses descend on the parks. But boiled down to pure business... Sure, kill it. Why should Disney offer anything as a bonus or for free anymore? The mindless millions will just go there anyway. Well, minus MY family.

o_O

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

Come on. "Watchdog mentality"? We're talking about a theme park benefit that may or may not have been going away SIX MONTHS from now. The ready, fire, aim mentality around here is a sight to behold.

Ralphlaw

I also wonder how much extra EMH really costs. The parks are open that day anyway, and the basic costs of building everything is already in place. What's needed is workers for those few hours and utilities (all variable costs). The fixed costs are already in place. It's similar to a factory owner with a widget making machine that costs $10,000,000. Once you purchased the machine, it's wise to run it as much as possible, 24/7 if you can.

The parks and infrastructure and marketing costs billions. To run the parks for a few extra hours costs millions, at most. In the meantime, Disney can sell points at a higher price and charge for rooms at a higher price. I'm no accountant, but I would have to think that it's worthwhile to keep the place open for a few extra hours while charging magically profitable prices for points and rooms. The big unknown is how much lodging and DVC money will disappear if EMH is taken away? No one knows the answer to that question, not even the bigwigs at Disney.

So I say unequivocally, "If EMH disappears I will come to WDW half as often for shorter stays and will likely sell off my DVC points." I'll also be tempted to stay offsite. Honestly, I mean it. Are you listening Disney? Who's with me?

hopemax

Come on. "Watchdog mentality"? We're talking about a theme park benefit that may or may not have been going away SIX MONTHS from now. The ready, fire, aim mentality around here is a sight to behold.

If one has to book dining reservations six months in advance, then you better be sure people planning their vacations would find it very relevant to their travel plans to know if it were going away.

hopemax

Biggest myth in WDW trip planning. You don't *have to* book dining reservations six months in advance. You can book dining reservations six months in advance.

That's not the point. The point is that "planning the vacation," the point where the customer is evaluating the decision to go or not, occurs many months before the actual taking of the vacation. Even if the actual booking, needs to come later (time off approvals, saving money, waiting for discounts).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That's not the point. The point is that "planning the vacation," the point where the customer is evaluating the decision to go or not, occurs many months before the actual taking of the vacation. Even if the actual booking, needs to come later (time off approvals, saving money, waiting for discounts).
The point is, EMH has not been cancelled. And Disney has NEVER released park hours this far in advance and they've ALWAYS been subject to change. It isn't a new thing that you don't know January hours for a certainty as of the previous June.

doctornick

The point is, EMH has not been cancelled. And Disney has NEVER released park hours this far in advance and they've ALWAYS been subject to change. It isn't a new thing that you don't know January hours for a certainty as of the previous June.

Actually, I'm pretty sure that releasing the hours (including EMH) ~6-7 months in advance is the norm for WDW.

I would agree, however, that no matter what is released, it is subject to change and often does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom