Nintendo Revolution, Open Brainstorming

Twilight_Roxas

If your wondering why I put Balloon Fighter & Lip is because these two were created by Satoru Iwata so adding these two would be a tribute to Satoru Iwata may he r.i.p.

mharrington

Okay, so we have pirate and safari outfits, but I'm still needing one more idea. The only thing I could think are artist costumes, where they somehow "paint" things or attack things with paint. The problem there is that it seems too much like the paint idea from the Epic Mickey games. It needs to be different somehow.

mharrington

Actually, instead of safari outfits, maybe they could be ranger outfits, which they use climb up trees and walls. To accomplish this, they wear special boots with spikes on them for the shinnying process. These spikes are also handy for simply jumping on enemies without stunning them; it kills the foe instantly!

Anyway, I still need to come up with ideas for the "artist" costumes.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I don't think Balloon Fighter should be a character, especially when the game isn't as well known as bigger titles, such as Kirby or Mario. If anything, I'd suggest making Balloon Fighter into an Assist Trophy at the very least. Then again, Ice Climbers were characters in Melee, and not many people were familiar with them.

mharrington

Okay, maybe for the third set of costumes, I thought of an idea: mad scientist costumes. Maybe one character could use beakers (maybe throwing them at enemies) and the other character has a remote control that can zap enemies. What do you think of that?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Mad scientist works, too!

==============

Continuing on with Super Mario Collection, I will begin with the first featured game on Cartridge Two, Super Mario 64.

Like every other featured remake, Super Mario 64 is given an HD-3D remake with redesigned and remastered worlds, a re-orchestrated soundtrack, and an expanded repertoire of bonus material, much like Super Mario World on Cartridge One. To start, the game is strictly one-player unlike the original's DS remake. Despite this, the game retains the 150 Star count from the DS remake, adding an additional seventh mission to each of the game's worlds. IN ADDITION, there are ten secret Stars not included in the 150 count, but more on that later. In the case that the seventh level required Luigi, Wario, or Yoshi to complete the mission, the level will be remade to enable strictly Mario to obtain the objective. For instance, in the DS remake, black bricks were only able to be destroyed by Wario. Now, Mario can destroy them, but only as Metal Mario. Other changes include:

- A drastic sound effect overhaul is given to the game, with new audio for Mario (by Charles Martinet), Yoshi (Yoshi makes a cameo on top of the castle), Peach, and several enemies and bosses. Despite the change, Bowser and Boo retain the same maniacal laughs as the 64 original, as all Nintendo fans know, the two laughs are one and the same.
- Courses are renamed "Worlds."
- Power-ups, obtained via special "caps," include: Metal Mario, Winged Mario, Invisible Mario, Balloon Mario, Fire Mario (aka fireball-shooting Mario), Giant Mario (obtained through a Mega Mushroom, not a cap), and from Super Mario 3D World: Cat Mario. Cat Mario is able to climb walls, swipe enemies, and perform a flying jump attack, but only for a temporary amount of time. Cat Mario is especially prevalent in early worlds where giant walls and obstacles are common.
- 64 Mario is a brand-new power-up that is not timed, but a permanent feature until the level has been exited or completed. 64 Mario, only featured in the Bowser worlds turns Mario (and all other power-ups he obtains thereafter) into his 64-bit appearance in Super Mario 64, complete with the original sound bytes. 64 Mario features a bonus health meter in addition to the one, making him much stronger and less likely to lose a life.
- The Rec Room from Super Mario 64 DS is removed. The painting of Sunshine Isles (a bonus world) is moved to the back wall of the Jolly Roger Bay room. The Goomboss Battle which also features a Red Coin hunt is now accessed in a new room where the Rec Room once stood. The room is accessed by obtaining at least seven Power Stars and features nothing more but a painting of Goomboss (the king of Goombas) and an actual pair of enemy Goombas, a first inside the castle.
- Like in the DS version, King Boo remains the "secret boss" of Big Boo's Haunt, more so resembling King Boo from Luigi's Mansion that his DS counterpart. The level itself is not featured as apart of the main objectives of the world, but feature two additional Stars, one by defeating King Boo and one by obtaining eight Red Coins. The bonus world is accessed through a painting of King Boo, rather than a painting of Luigi.
- Chief Chilly Challenge, also from the DS remake is no longer accessed through the mirror. Instead, it is accessed through a secret painting of Chief Chilly hidden in the igloo of Snowman's Land. Two bonus Stars are obtained by defeating Chief Chilly and by collecting Red Coins.
- A power-up box featuring the Invisible Cap allows Mario to walk through the mirror in the mirror room and enter a special door, leading to a bonus Star within a blank white room.
- After 50 Stars have been collected, eight glowing rabbits are randomly scattered through the castle, each holding a Star until caught by Mario. These rabbits are far harder to catch than the rabbit located in the basement.
- Unlike the DS remake, Mario does not have to catch a rabbit to enter the castle.
- All of the DS remake bosses (Goomboss, King Boo, Chief Chilly) are given different dialogue to exclude Luigi and Wario references.
- Several enemies not featured in the original are introduced throughout the game. Dry Bones appears in Bowser in the Fire Sea, Big Boo's Haunt, Bowser in the Sky, and Shifting Sand Land. Like regular Dry Bones, they are only temporarily defeated before quickly regrouping. The only way to defeat a Dry Bones permanently is by hitting it with a Koopa Shell or jumping on it as Metal Mario. Dry Bones make the same sounds as Boos, only at a higher pitch. Red Koopa Troopas are introduced, distinguished from the green Koopa the Quick by a spiked collar, red shell, and set of mean sunglasses, like Paper Mario. Red Koopas appear in Bob-omb Battlefield, Hazy Maze Cave, Tiny-Huge Mountain, and Rainbow Ride. Red Koopas attack by charging, but are easily defeated by a jump to the head. Magikoopas attack and sound like their appearance in Super Mario 3D World, making appearances in Bowser in the Dark World, Bowser in the Sky, Rainbow Ride, and Tick Tock Clock. Hammer Bros. do likewise, making appearances in Whomp's Fortress, Wet-Dry World, Tiny-Huge Island, and Tall, Tall Mountain only.
- Every boss is given brand-new sound effects and new details to their appearances. Bosses include King Bob-omb, Whomp King, Goomboss, Big Boo, Big Mr. I, King Boo, Big Bully, Eyerok, Chill Bully, Chief Chilly, Wiggler, and of course, Bowser.
- Bowser himself is given a drastic overhaul. Bowser in the Dark World's Bowser is the same size and fights the same way as the original. Bowser in the Fire Sea is covered in bandages, bruises, scratches, and even has an arm cast from the prior battle, in addition to wielding a spiked hammer. In addition to his original move set, Bowser wields the giant hammer as a weapon, attempting to smash and swipe Mario out of the arena and into the abyss. To top it off, Bowser eats a Super Mushroom prior to the start of the battle, growing slightly larger. Bowser in the Sky's Bowser is also a bit battered and beaten from the prior battle, continuing to wield a hammer. Like his second battle, he downs a Mushroom before battle, growing even larger than before. To top that off, he hits a "!" block and steals the Winged Cap from within, growing a set of wings on either side of his head. Suddenly, his cast falls off and he drops all the wounds, turning into a giant, flying, hammer-wielding Bowser. In addition to his original move set, flying Bowser attacks with the hammer and performs a series of sky-based attacks, such as a dive bomb, shooting fireballs from above, and a bird-like attack where he swoops down and scrapes the length of the arena with his feet. Upon defeat, Bowser loses his wings and falls into the abyss below, leaving behind a giant Power Star.

Upon the collection of 150 Stars (yes, all 150), the cannon in the courtyard will be unlocked, allowing Mario to blast to the top of Peach's Castle. Once on top, Mario will find Yoshi fast asleep who will reward Mario with a message from the developers as well as an improved Triple Jump, 100 Lives, and a Winged Cap box. Afterwards, Yoshi jumps off the castle rooftop, never to be seen again. This is not all that is atop the castle, a door rests behind Yoshi. Upon entering, Mario finds a painting of Dry Bowser...the battle is not over yet...

World 16: Castle Bowser

Essentially, World 16 is this game's ultimate Secret World, featuring ten additional Stars as well as a boss battle with Dry Bowser, the hardest boss battle in the entirety of the game. Each of the world's seven main missions take place in a massive castle infested with monsters of every sort, puzzles of every variety, and lava, lots and lots of lava. Three secret Stars are also featured: One for collecting 100 Coins, one for a cannon-based mini-game, and the last for finding a painting of a Star within a secret room of the castle.

1. Climbing Castle Bowser: The player must reach the top of the castle before a constantly-rising sea of lava consumes the entirety of the castle. Along the way, Dry Bones, Magikoopas, Whomps, Thwomps, and Bob-ombs serve as unhelpful obstacles.
2. King Boo's Royal Return: King Boo resides within a graveyard on the side of the castle, making his first attempt at revenge before Luigi's Mansion. King Boo is much larger and far more difficult to defeat, but will fork over a Power Star upon defeat.
3. Lurking in the Labyrinth: The player must navigate through a lava and monster-filled maze beneath the castle, activating puzzles and traps before obtaining the Star.
4. Dry Bones Brigade: Hitting a secret switch causes a massive amount of Dry Bones to be unleashed within the castle, as in tidal wave-sized proportions meant to consume Mario. Mario must evade the sea of skeletons before obtaining the Power Star.
5. Red Coins in the Castle: Simple enough.
6. Boss Battle Bash: All of the game's bosses (excluding King Boo, whom Big Boo stands in for) make a return appearance in a battle arena. The entirety of the battle (in which 64 Mario is an option) is timed to eight minutes, meaning the player must defeat all of the game's bosses two at a time in that amount of time or otherwise face a game over.
7. The Revenge of King Bowser: Unlike other missions, this mission starts out in an entirely different setting from the rest of Castle Bowser. Mario is immediately dumped atop Castle Bowser, where a thunderstorm ravages the red night-sky. Unlike other Bowser battles, bombs do not surround the arena, just an endless abyss. At the top of the mission, Bowser falls down from the sky, his eyes glowing an eerie red. Suddenly, without a word or a roar, Bowser's skin slowly disappears into thin-air, revealing a massive Dry Bowser underneath. Dry Bowser gives a bloodcurdling shriek and engages in battle. Dry Bowser is giant but extremely slow-moving. His tail cannot be grabbed and thrown as he will slap Mario with it when touched. Dry Bowser can breathe purple flamethrowers, do ground-pounds, summon various enemies, and detach his bones to use as flight-based enemies that hover around all over the proximity of the arena. Dry Bowser can only be defeated through use of Mario's special Triple Jump, allowing him to jump on top of Bowser's skull. After each jump (three are required), the skull will crack just slightly. After the third jump, the skull will detach itself and hop around the stage cartoonishly. The rest of the body will run around aimlessly, dealing quite a bit of damage when Mario is in the way. The skull must be picked up by Mario and thrown off the side of the arena. The skull will come flying back and land on top of the headless body. This must be repeated FIVE times before Dry Bowser turns to dust and floats away on the breeze. 64 Mario is not available for this battle, making it that much more difficult in regards to damage.

Dry Bowser's battle theme is taken from what else but Super Mario Galaxy 2.

==============

And that's about it for Super Mario 64! Thoughts?

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
I'm watching it as I type this. So far just Corrin from an upcoming Fire Emblem game has been announced. I'm really hoping that they announce another character at the end of the broadcast. I'm hoping for Banjo-Kazooie or K. Rool, even though both characters are highly unlikely, sadly. I could careless about the move set for Cloud. Geno costume is cool.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
Well, count me as one of those trolls that is disappointed, haha. I won't rain on anyone else's parade, though, so I'm going to keep my thoughts on the matter to myself. At least this thread gives us the opportunity to make our own games.

mharrington

Mad scientist works, too!

Great! Thanks!

So now I'm going to provide some general ideas of mine for this fourth Magical Quest: the plot involves Pete being the antagonist, as usual. In this case, he somehow starts draining Mickey's hometown of its color to fuel a top secret project of his! In the past, he was an emperor, a baron, and a king, but now he is a mad scientist - Dr. Pete N. Stein, and his creation is a monster that looks like a cross between the Phantom Blot and Julius (the giant Frankenstein-type Pete from "Runaway Brain")!

Mickey and Goofy were off on vacation together when the disaster hit, so they managed to avoid this, but sadly, the denizens of Mickey's town were not so lucky. Everyone (Donald, Pluto, Minnie, etc.) has been drained of their color and feeling quite miserable. They explain that it was Dr. Pete. So Mickey and Goofy decide to stop him, and off they go to Pete's castle! Like the other Magical Quest games, Mickey and Goofy will each receive special costumes with their own powers: 1) pirate wear (Mickey wields a wooden sword while Goofy can sic his shoulder parrot on enemies); 2) ranger wear (both climb trees and walls with special spiked boots, which can also be used to kill enemies in one stomp - no dizziness for them!); 3) mad scientist wear (Mickey can throw beakers that can transform enemies into other, harmless, things like items, while Goofy has a remote control that can zap enemies and activate machinery should the need arise).

This game follows other conventions set by the first three games, too. There will be eight levels in this game (to the first two games' six and the third's seven). The first level will be Mickey's hometown and the eighth Pete's castle. The second-to-last (that is, seventh) level in the game has always been a snowy level, and here it will be the same. In this case, the end boss will be a giant polar bear with a bad attitude! The second stage has always been some dark gloomy area full of trees. In the first and third games, the area was a forest, while in the second game, it was a jungle. Here, it will be a swamp. The mid-boss will be a giant blood-sucking mosquito, and the end boss will be, befitting a swamp, an alligator that totes a mean blunderbuss! I'm thinking also, for the obligatory underground level, a theme to an abandoned mine.

What are your thoughts on this?

Flippin'Flounder

I can't believe Bayonetta won. I officially care about none of the DLC, is 6 FE characters really necessary? I was hoping for Dixie Kong, Banjo, or K. Rool, and then we got horribly boring things. Unless K. Rool and Banjo weren't the "negotiable and realizable" characters he was talking about.

MANEATINGWREATH

Original Poster
K. Rool is owned by Nintendo, Banjo is not. K. Rool has actually made post-Rare appearances in Nintendo games, so it wouldn't be impossible to have him as a character in Smash, same with Dixie Kong, although in an ideal world, Dixie Kong would be a female swap for Diddy Kong with some minor adjustments to her move set. Oh well, maybe they'll surprise us later, but if they really intended that to be the "final" one, so be it. To me, the best DLC for the game thus far is still Mewtwo. There is no need for six FE characters, nor Bayonetta, but hey, more power to the European crowd.

Sounds great, mharrington!

I'll be continuing on with Super Mario Collection shortly. So far I have completed:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. Super Mario Bros. 2
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
4. Super Mario World
5. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
6. Super Mario 64

I have not completed...

7. Luigi's Mansion
8. Super Mario Sunshine
9. New Super Mario Bros. Collection
10. Super Mario Galaxy
11. Super Mario Galaxy 2

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom