Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Magenta Panther

Pokémon would go to one of the other parks.

I’m also surprised at your reaction to it. Are you one of those crazy irrational members of PETA that spouts this kind of trash for media attention?

I am not crazy nor irrational, and I'm not a member of PETA. Surely you've heard the dogfighting analogy/criticism about Pokemon before (and it doesn't only come from PETA)? What else is the show about? The kids capture monsters and make them fight other monsters. To begin with, I don't get what the monsters get out of it. Sometimes they even get hurt, and then their owners get all weepy over it, the hypocrites. (Yeah, I've watched the show, at least a few episodes. Still don't get it).

Brad Bishop

I am not crazy nor irrational, and I'm not a member of PETA. Surely you've heard the dogfighting analogy/criticism about Pokemon before (and it doesn't only come from PETA)? What else is the show about? The kids capture monsters and make them fight other monsters. To begin with, I don't get what the monsters get out of it. Sometimes they even get hurt, and then their owners get all weepy over it, the hypocrites. (Yeah, I've watched the show, at least a few episodes. Still don't get it).

I had never thought about it until you brought it up. I can see the analogy, though. I also think one is a fantasy video game and the other is a horrible act.

This is anecdotal but, at the same time, I bet it's par for the course with kids: I'm pretty sure that my daughters grew up playing Pokemon (I never understood it). Neither have ever thought dog/ fighting is a good idea. I work with a bunch of guys who are heavily into games and I'm pretty sure they play the Pokemon card game along with other like-games and none of them would be for /dog fighting. I bet if I were to bring up the similarities they'd probably think like I did and think: Oh, wow.. I never thought of that.

Robot Wars is like that. WWE is like that. The mixed martial arts is like that. I don't have a problem with any of those.

I think that the problem stems from putting two animals (living/breathing) purposely against each other (they didn't volunteer - they just got thrown into it) in a battle to survive. That's when it gets nasty.

ProfSavage

As for the Pokemon debate, don't make assumptions on the franchise based on just the anime. The video games, and the manga (which is dark as hell and I highly recommend for anyone interested) are what the fans love. While some love the anime, most older fans (those who are now in their 30s and probably started playing in 98/99) don't even watch the show - myself included.

I ignore the show, and agree the characters are one dimensional and boring and it's generally fluff to sell games and toys - but it's a strategy that has worked for The Pokemon Company International and GameFreak for 21 years now, and the show is no better or worse from other Saturday morning cartoons from eras past and generally harmless for kids.

The games are what have kept the franchise alive and are a lot of fun. On the surface they're basic turn based battling system that a child can comprehend and master, but there are layers and strategy to the mechanics (Abilities, natures, items, and IVs/EVs all combining to give each Pokemon, even of the same species, different performance in battle). and the competitive battling circuit is fierce - and that's what I love about the games. Besides, the challenge of finishing the Pokedex, now that it sits at 807 Pokemon officially, can be daunting.

Also, the game stories are a little darker and deeper than the show, which can be ignored (they're even considered their own separate canons, as is the manga, and is common with many Japanese franchises).

The lands in US will probably be based on the games, anyway, and not the show, since the show changes the cast every season to reflect the new gen of games, other than Ash and Pikachu. Or it may ignore the human characters altogether, with maybe just a Professor or some kind of researcher, and focus on the Pokemon themselves. Pikachu and Mimikyu are going to push merch, not Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, or any of the other human game characters

Granted, this is based on what is popular here in the West. And the end of the day, Pokemon is made by Japanese for a Japanese market and what sells there within the same franchise can be different here in the West. So who knows what US and Nintendo will do.

I'm just happy the two worlds I've always wanted to visit - Star Wars and Nintendo - will be a reality in the near future. 12 year old me is really, really happy

Brer Oswald

As for the Pokemon debate, don't make assumptions on the franchise based on just the anime. The video games, and the manga (which is dark as hell and I highly recommend for anyone interested) are what the fans love. While some love the anime, most older fans (those who are now in their 30s and probably started playing in 98/99) don't even watch the show - myself included.

I ignore the show, and agree the characters are one dimensional and boring and it's generally fluff to sell games and toys - but it's a strategy that has worked for The Pokemon Company International and GameFreak for 21 years now, and the show is no better or worse from other Saturday morning cartoons from eras past and generally harmless for kids.

The games are what have kept the franchise alive and are a lot of fun. On the surface they're basic turn based battling system that a child can comprehend and master, but there are layers and strategy to the mechanics (Abilities, natures, items, and IVs/EVs all combining to give each Pokemon, even of the same species, different performance in battle). and the competitive battling circuit is fierce - and that's what I love about the games. Besides, the challenge of finishing the Pokedex, now that it sits at 807 Pokemon officially, can be daunting.

Also, the game stories are a little darker and deeper than the show, which can be ignored (they're even considered their own separate canons, as is the manga, and is common with many Japanese franchises).

The lands in US will probably be based on the games, anyway, and not the show, since the show changes the cast every season to reflect the new gen of games, other than Ash and Pikachu. Or it may ignore the human characters altogether, with maybe just a Professor or some kind of researcher, and focus on the Pokemon themselves. Pikachu and Mimikyu are going to push merch, not Red, Blue, Gold, Silver, or any of the other human game characters

Granted, this is based on what is popular here in the West. And the end of the day, Pokemon is made by Japanese for a Japanese market and what sells there within the same franchise can be different here in the West. So who knows what US and Nintendo will do.

I'm just happy the two worlds I've always wanted to visit - Star Wars and Nintendo - will be a reality in the near future. 12 year old me is really, really happy
Who’s Mimikyu?

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Who’s Mimikyu?
latest

This is Mimikyu. It is a ghost type Pokémon that disguises itself as Pikachu because it wants popularity and doesn’t want to be forgotten. No one has actually seen its true form under the Pikachu doll costume it wears. The Pokémon was released last year in generation 7 and is extremely popular.

ProfSavage

latest

This is Mimikyu. It is a ghost type Pokémon that disguises itself as Pikachu because it wants popularity and doesn’t want to be forgotten. No one has actually seen its true form under the Pikachu doll costume it wears. The Pokémon was released last year in generation 7 and is extremely popular.

It's also extremely viable in the competitive meta game. Not that it matters, but it isn't just a gimmick like some others from this and previous Gens

Brer Oswald

latest

Oh, it’s from Sun and Moon. I’ve seen that before. Didn’t think it was two popular cause I didn’t hear it get talked about much, but what do I know?

ProfSavage

Oh, it’s from Sun and Moon. I’ve seen that before. Didn’t think it was two popular cause I didn’t hear it get talked about much, but what do I know?

Yeah, it has its own theme song and it's a Totem Pokemon in the new games and is part of Team Rocket in the anime and it sells a lot of merch. It's popular.

Clover Bailey

I know after 92 pages it's kind of late to join the discussion, but all I can say is that they better not screw this up. Nintendo is one of my favorite companies in any media, and I always hoped that their games would get theme park attractions. But while Universal is better than something like Six Flags or Cedar Point, it's definitely not much better for me. Many of their recent attractions are simply watching a bunch of screens with no real excitement.

Most of the attractions seem to be based on Mario, which is my favorite gaming franchise. I hope to see some animatronics of characters like Yoshi and Bowser. I hear that there will be a MarioKart attraction, which I hope is like Test Track, where you race on a track alongside various Mario characters, and not just playing MarioKart in a ride vehicle while staring at a large monitor.

If Universal really cheaps out on this opportunity by making all the attractions "VR" or whatever theme parks are trying to do, I will probably never visit them again. They were desperate enough to give Jimmy Fallon his own E-Ticket attraction but then Kong was just a lengthened Kong 360 from Hollywood.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
I know after 92 pages it's kind of late to join the discussion, but all I can say is that they better not screw this up. Nintendo is one of my favorite companies in any media, and I always hoped that their games would get theme park attractions. But while Universal is better than something like Six Flags or Cedar Point, it's definitely not much better for me. Many of their recent attractions are simply watching a bunch of screens with no real excitement.

Most of the attractions seem to be based on Mario, which is my favorite gaming franchise. I hope to see some animatronics of characters like Yoshi and Bowser. I hear that there will be a MarioKart attraction, which I hope is like Test Track, where you race on a track alongside various Mario characters, and not just playing MarioKart in a ride vehicle while staring at a large monitor.

If Universal really cheaps out on this opportunity by making all the attractions "VR" or whatever theme parks are trying to do, I will probably never visit them again. They were desperate enough to give Jimmy Fallon his own E-Ticket attraction but then Kong was just a lengthened Kong 360 from Hollywood.
I believe that Universal has stated that after F&F, they are moving away from doing rides where screens are dominant. Patents for the MarioKart ride so far have revealed that it will be similar to Test Track, and will feature physical sets, projected skies, and augmented reality goggles.

Cesar R M

latest

Mimikyu could be terrifying..

Mimikyu.full.2017962.jpg

I'm more fond of :
tumblr_ouof04nTI91r8x55lo6_1280.jpg

speaking of Pikachu Festival of Japan:
http://78.media.tumblr.com/0fc16d9d1517e3ea242a238bd691fd2d/tumblr_ouof04nTI91r8x55lo2_1280.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom