Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

BubbaQuest

4K is nowhere close to being the standard for gaming.

From Forbes.com:
New research and sales analysis out today has revealed that approximately one in every eight North American homes will own an Ultra HD/4K TV before the end of 2016.

According to a report by Strategy Analytics, this eye-catching figure - which equates to more than 11 million North American homes - is the result of rapidly falling prices for 4K TVs and increased availability that’s seen shipments of 4K TVs to the region this year surge by more than 70%.

This is for 2016, not 2017. You can get 4K TVs at Walmart for $300. Sony already supports it. Microsoft will fully support it this year with Scorpio.

I understand not wanting to chase the newest most expensive technology out of the gate but Nintendo is already a year behind, again.

Last edited:

Mike S

I can understand not wanting to constantly keep up with current technology, or being unable to if one is on a budget, but that doesn't mean it isn't better for those who care, which is why they make it. I happen to care about this stuff, so I'm not going to play a SNES when I have a PS4 Pro. And if I could afford a $5,000 PC, I'd be using that instead.

4K isn't the current standard for gaming, but it will be, and the other console manufacturers are desperate to make it happen. People were slow to adopt HDTV when the first "HD" console were released, but they eventually did.

There's no correlation between resolution and screen size. A 1-inch 4K display will have a higher picture quality than a 100-inch HD display.
From Forbes.com:

This is for 2016, not 2017. You can get 4K TVs at Walmart for $300. Sony already supports it. Microsoft will fully support it this year with Scorpio.

I understand not wanting to chase the newest most expensive technology out of the gate but Nintendo is already a year behind, again.
I love how neither of you seem to have read the article I posted.

Cesar R M

This is what Nintendo has been saying for the past 20 years, and failing. I get resolution doesn't matter for making a great game, but if you just purchased a 4K HDR TV and you hook up your Switch and see black bars or bad scaling issues, it's not something you are going to show off to your friends. More importantly, if developers have already moved on to a 4K standard, they are not going to bother to downgrade their 10GB of master artwork just to chase outdated hardware.

I wouldn't recommend anyone buy a 1080p TV right now if they can afford 4K -- it's readily available and a stable product, even Netflix is already supporting 4K. And that's the problem once again with Nintendo, there is already a 4K capable version of this tablet, but to save $20 they went with a slower older version of the chip. Same with the N64, same with the Wii.
Lets first consider the supposed hype of 4k.
To get proper 4k in casual mid weight you need a 1070 GTX video card, and for heavy games a minimum of 1080GTX.
Considering PCs hardly hit 4k at good fps even with a heavy card like that.. and most consoles "4k" is just upscaled 1080p... I think the whole thing about "ultra resolution" is overrated console wise.

There's no correlation between resolution and screen size. A 1-inch 4K display will have a higher picture quality than a 100-inch HD display.
And why the hell would you play in a 1 inch screen in 4k? its a useless gimmick.
You need something bigger than 24 inches (depending the distance).

4k in tiny screens of the cellphone is kinda irrelevant too.
At that size, you might be rendering 4k, but with total crap minimum quality pixels, textures and models.

Scorpio and similar will still be upscaled. there is a huge difference in "upscale", "compatible" "supporting" and actually rendering it natively.
It all depends on those "rumors". If they are still using AMD tech. It will only have like 6tflops. Slower than a 1070 card. Which struggles on medium quality textures and models at 4k.
It would require a TITAN X style card (or the upcoming TI, or AMD's equivalent named VEGA) to actually render 4k at full high quality.

So in my opinion, scorpio will do at most 4k at 30 fps in games that dont require much (Rpgs, etc..) and upscaled 1080 at 60fps or 2k at 30 fps for action games like COD

In the other hand..
Lets remember also that Nintendo does NOT aim for the "hardcore" gamer groups. everyone laughed at the Wii until it destroyed all the competition by selling more than ever to a very broad spectrum of gamers. Nintendo as almost always have some of the highest scores on game quality as well. Because they focus on the FUN aspect.. not in the "l33t graphic cool stuff" that some major publishers are aiming at (aka only graphics, zero substance. Like those madden and COD games that are remakes of themselves with minimal updates).

Last edited:

JT3000

It's a shell game. I think HDR is a bigger upgrade then going from 1080P to 4K on a normal sized screen.

Unfortunately it isn't possible to have one without the other, as they're only putting HDR on 4K TVs, and even then the quality of it can vary depending on your price point.

I read the article. Problem is, their insistence that you need a gigantic TV to tell the difference between resolutions is a falsehood based on someone's poor eyesight.

Lets first consider the supposed hype of 4k.
To get proper 4k in casual mid weight you need a 1070 GTX video card, and for heavy games a minimum of 1080GTX.
Considering PCs hardly hit 4k at good fps even with a heavy card like that.. and most consoles "4k" is just upscaled 1080p... I think the whole thing about "ultra resolution" is overrated console wise.

The only console currently on the market that claims to be capable of 4K is the PS4 Pro, which does not upscale anything. It doesn't reach "full" 4K for every game, and it sometimes utilizes checkerboard rendering, but it is always rendering a higher-than-HD resolution. If you have a 1080p television, it downscales the image to fit your screen, resulting in a clearer image than native 1080p. This would not be possible if it were merely upscaling 1080p on 4K televisions.

And why the hell would you play in a 1 inch screen in 4k? its a useless gimmick.

My pet gerbil can be rather fussy about these things.

You need something bigger than 24 inches (depending the distance).

I'm not going to get into a drawn out size debate, but if you can't readily tell the difference between resolutions on a reasonably sized screen, you're watching from too far away. Otherwise it would be obvious.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

Not sure you read it either:
...4K content with high dynamic range was noticeably superior to 1080p content...

I get that a cheap 4K TV with no HDR will make little difference, but what is Nintendo going to do in 3 years when $500 HDR TVs are the new norm? Immediately drop the Switch and frantically release another half-baked console? Sound familiar?

Mike S

Not sure you read it either:

I get that a cheap 4K TV with no HDR will make little difference, but what is Nintendo going to do in 3 years when $500 HDR TVs are the new norm? Immediately drop the Switch and frantically release another half-baked console? Sound familiar?
No it doesn't. Because the Switch's focus is different. I don't know about you, but being able to take games like Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey anywhere is a much better sell than "grafixxx." I'd also like to ask if you really think Nintendo could've found success with a "me too!" console right now with the PS4's massive lead and market dominance? Just because it would have the power does not guarantee third party support either since they were burned so much by the Wii U. Releasing a new console at this point in the middle of the generation (not as strange though if you consider that this will be replacing the 6 year old 3DS) required them to have their own hook. They also needed to be better able to supply games and avoid droughts so they went with a hybrid. It's the only chance they have right now. Nintendo rather stupidly gave up their golden oppurtunity to truly compete in 2012 when they released the Wii U. Just imagine how that could have played out differently if their 2012 console was a PS4/XBO equivalent a full year ahead of the competition. But that's not what happened and the Switch is their next step which I'm personally more than fine with. It'll have much better support than the Wii U had because as we've seen it seems like all those 3DS and PSVita devs are jumping on board and we all know how that first one did in the market. 60 million ain't nothing to sneeze at. More consistent western support could come after we see some sales and you can't really blame them. Not all though, obviously.

And I don't know why you used that quote to somehow prove me wrong when I never disagreed that 4K is superior. All I said was that it's nowhere close to being a standard for games.

Last edited:

BubbaQuest

Because the Switch's focus is different.

Because the Wii's focus is different....
Because the Wii U's focus is different...

I've heard it before. I've been burned by it before (too many times).

Again, I love my Wii U. I don't chase tech just to get the newest specs. I'm just frustrated that Nintendo keeps chasing this "we're different" philosophy, shooting themselves in the foot by getting cheap on basic specs, then wondering why they get little or no AAA third-party support.

Mike S

Because the Wii's focus is different....
Because the Wii U's focus is different...

I've heard it before. I've been burned by it before (too many times).

Again, I love my Wii U. I don't chase tech just to get the newest specs. I'm just frustrated that Nintendo keeps chasing this "we're different" philosophy, shooting themselves in the foot by getting cheap on basic specs, then wondering why they get little or no AAA third-party support.
Read the rest of my post.

Jeez...

Cesar R M

t doesn't reach "full" 4K for every game
so what is is then.. it does 4k or not?
You cannot say 4k if you're actually displaying 2k.

My pet gerbil can be rather fussy about these things.

:rolleyes:

I'm not going to get into a drawn out size debate, but if you can't readily tell the difference between resolutions on a reasonably sized screen, you're watching from too far away. Otherwise it would be obvious.

Hence my explanation on depending on size.
But you definitively wont see much quality in a 1 inch screen sporting 4k.
As much people love to throw the 4k resolution figure.. the resolution is nothing if they have to severely downsize the textures, model quality and other things.

JT3000

so what is is then.. it does 4k or not?
You cannot say 4k if you're actually displaying 2k.

4K, just like HD, is a range of resolutions. It's not a single, specific resolution. The Pro can display nearly all of its games at the lower end of this range, if not higher. And I don't think 2K is even officially a thing. I only ever hear PC gamers use that term, and PC monitors don't use the same resolutions as TVs.

Hence my explanation on depending on size.
But you definitively wont see much quality in a 1 inch screen sporting 4k.

My gerbil begs to differ.

Latest from OU is that E.T. will be leaving which means we're getting Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi.

I never did like that stupid dinosaur. This wouldn't help.

Last edited:

JT3000

You don't like a lot of things it seems.

That's not true. I like bacon. And sarcastic banter. And theme parks. However, I didn't realize I was lamenting the loss of yet another classic attraction in the presence of the Grand Poobah of the Yoshi Fan Club. My sincerest apologies, most loyal subject of the Mushroom Kingdom. It won't happen again.

Mike S

That's not true. I like bacon. And sarcastic banter. And theme parks. However, I didn't realize I was lamenting the loss of yet another classic attraction in the presence of the Grand Poobah of the Yoshi Fan Club. My sincerest apologies, most loyal subject of the Mushroom Kingdom. It won't happen again.
My first game was Super Mario World but even with that being the case I'm a much bigger fan of Metroid than Yoshi. Sucks that we'll never get that as a ride...

Also, E.T. has not aged well at all. This will likely be an improvement.

Cesar R M

4K, just like HD, is a range of resolutions. It's not a single, specific resolution. The Pro can display nearly all of its games at the lower end of this range, if not higher. And I don't think 2K is even officially a thing. I only ever hear PC gamers use that term, and PC monitors don't use the same resolutions as TVs.
Except they dont.. 4k is 4k.. If you have half 4k you get 2k.
Just like HD is 720p and FULL HD is 1080p.

I mean, theres standards for a reason.

If some TV manufacturer wants to lie or mislead by the resolution. Well.. I cant say if they like "alternate facts" or not.
My gerbil begs to differ.
Good thing we're not talking about your gerbil.

You don't like a lot of things it seems.
seconding...

JT3000

Except they dont.. 4k is 4k.. If you have half 4k you get 2k.
Just like HD is 720p and FULL HD is 1080p.

I mean, theres standards for a reason.

Except there is NO standard for 4K, nor is there a "2K" resolution on televisions (unless you mean HD*), which was the entire point of my post.

*4K denotes horizontal resolution, with a common vertical resolution of 2160. The 1080 in 1080p is a vertical resolution, and would therefore be the same as this theoretical "2K." I've already established that the PS4 Pro doesn't merely upscale 1080p.

Good thing we're not talking about your gerbil.

Why not? What do you have against gerbils?

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Except there is NO standard for 4K, nor is there a "2K" resolution on televisions (unless you mean HD*), which was the entire point of my post.

*4K denotes horizontal resolution, with a common vertical resolution of 2160. The 1080 in 1080p is a vertical resolution, and would therefore be the same as this theoretical "2K." I've already established that the PS4 Pro doesn't merely upscale 1080p.
https://gist.github.com/jonlabelle/7834592
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-definition_television
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution
https://www.cnet.com/news/tv-resolution-confusion-1080p-2k-uhd-4k-and-what-they-all-mean/

4k is defined depending on the format.. For TV and for CINEMA/Projectors.
UHDTV = 4k for Tvs.

Why not? What do you have against gerbils?
:rolleyes:
I think we now have a possible Super Bowl commercial for the Switch :hilarious:

That looks fun as hell. Very portable!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom