1. The new WDWMAGIC app for iPhone and iPad is now available on the App Store.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando' started by Sped2424, May 7, 2015.

1. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

At least when it comes to Marvel Disney is inadvertently helping Universal ;)

UpAllNight likes this.
  2. UpAllNight

UpAllNight Well-Known Member

Haha true

I think people in general are taking for granted what Disney are doing well on the movie front. Me and 3 friends went to see Moana the other day, we're all over 24...and it blew us away.

So naturally then you look back at all their recent animated films and they're all strong. Then Marvel. Then Star Wars. Pixar continues to deliver. Their dip into live action remakes has started strong and continues to look promising.

Disneys ultimate benefit is their own name. Any good film is instantly recognised as 'Disney', so 'Disney World' will always appeal...as it's the films 'home'

Where Universal are strong and continue to improve in my opinion is that it's becoming a must visit destination for revisitors through good experiences, strong word of mouth and hype. Their state of the art rides are seen as innovative, fresh and exciting...so yeah I see Nintendo continuing to build on this...but ultimately Disney is Disney and the strength of their brand means 'Toy Story land' is every bit as appealing to a casual guest as Universals (likely) much more impressive, ambitious Nintendo World. Sadly.

Mike S likes this.
  3. JT3000

JT3000 Well-Known Member

When it comes to brand loyalty, the quality of Universal's movies isn't the problem. It's simply impossible for them to invoke the same brand loyalty Disney has, as they're a "generic" Hollywood studio that doesn't specialize in a specific type of film the way Disney does. Universal has plenty of classic films in its library, but with the possible exception of the Universal Monsters (which they're currently in the process of ruining), no one looks at them, either individually or as a whole, and pays any mind to who released them. Disney will always have a huge edge in this respect because their products collectively scream their brand from the roof tops. Incidentally, their films also usually translate more easily to theme park attractions.

That being said, I would argue that most of the general public still do not associate Marvel or Star Wars with Disney, and may not for a long time. Those properties aren't bringing anyone to their parks because they're "Disney." That's not to say a Star Wars land won't reel people in, but that would have been the case even if they didn't own the IP, just like Universal and Harry Potter. In practice, I don't believe there's much difference between Disney adding Star Wars and Universal adding Nintendo. One just pays licensing fees and the other doesn't.

Corey P and Mike S like this.
  4. *Q*

*Q* Well-Known Member

5. BrerJon

BrerJon Well-Known Member

What, no Nickelodeon Studios?

6. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

Sped2424 likes this.
  7. photoginit

photoginit Well-Known Member

I have heard that we could see construction at least behind the scenes start after HHN27. That the parade warehouse and the area behind MIB will be cleared. Which means HHN is gonna have to do some shifting around of houses again.

8. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

So this isn't just KidZone?

9. djlaosc

djlaosc Well-Known Member

Could it be that Yoshi could be moving behind Men in Black so that we can keep E.T.?

On the other hand, it could just be for trailers...

Disneyhead'71 likes this.
  10. Disneyhead'71

Disneyhead'71 Well-Known Member

Trailers.

Sped2424 and Mike S like this.
  11. clemmo

clemmo Well-Known Member

Just making sure I read the USJ announcement correctly, they're getting two rides. DK mine coaster and mario cart? Is the third attraction still planned for Orlando?

DarthFiscus75 likes this.
  12. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

Should be three rides as seen in the art. Yoshi, Mario Kart, DK

Sped2424, DarthFiscus75 and Mike S like this.
  13. DarthFiscus75

DarthFiscus75 Well-Known Member

@Mike S do you have the link to the art work for the three rides for the new land?

14. Mike S

Mike S Well-Known Member

There's really nothing official on Nintendo except the concept art that was released which doesn't show the rides specifically.

15. Sped2424

Sped2424 Well-Known Member Original Poster

In the art you can see a bowser area which is assumed to be Mario kart. A Yoshi mountain which is supposedly the Yoshi attraction. And then In the distance some tropical trees for the dk area but thts obscured in this art.

Mike S and DarthFiscus75 like this.
  16. DarthFiscus75

Awesome thanks

Sped2424 likes this.
  17. Animaniac93-98

Animaniac93-98 Well-Known Member

18. DarthFiscus75

Mike S likes this.
  19. JustInTime

JustInTime Well-Known Member

Hmm. I was thinking Peach's castle would be the Mario Kart ride. Interesting. Wonder if both castles are part of Mario Kart? With bowser being the exit and Peach being the entrance/ride building?? I can't wait to find out more.

20. imperius

imperius Well-Known Member

Peaches castle is supposed to be the entrance to the area.

Mike S and DarthFiscus75 like this.