Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

AEfx

There has to be more games coming. At least I hope so.

They have shown the list for the year, man. This is what it is.

It's really sad to me that the only game they showed me that I really went "oooh I want that" was a 25 year old SNES remake (SFII). And that was only because I have XBOX One and the SF games are only on PS4.

Mike S

It's also coming to the Wii U...its not even exclusive to the system.
And the Wii U is dead with no future compared to the Switch. For people like me that are upgrading it's a good incentive. Just like Twilight Princess on Wii and GameCube.
They have shown the list for the year, man. This is what it is.

It's really sad to me that the only game they showed me that I really went "oooh I want that" was a 25 year old SNES remake (SFII). And that was only because I have XBOX One and the SF games are only on PS4.
They always keep some surprises. For me it's fine but for others not so much.

And really? Only Street Fighter interested you?

AEfx

The 3DS will still be around for a while, I give it a year.
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

Some people think that this means it might get its own successor. Personally I think that would be the stupidest most brain dead move Nintendo could make right now. The Switch being all in one is the best chance it has of being any kind of success. The announcement that it's getting the main series Pokémon games would seal it being way more successful than the Wii U. Then add in all the third parties that made games for the 3DS with the first party efforts that the Wii U enjoyed and I just can't see it being a massive failure like the Wii U was. A separate 3DS successor though will be a death knell since there would then be no point to the Switch's portability. Thankfully we are seeing a bit of evidence that this is an all in one. For Nintendo's sake, I sure hope it is.

That's why they are backing themselves into a corner here. They are fully banking on all those families with kids jumping on this bandwagon and replacing 3DS with this. I just cannot see that happening.

This is not a device I'd give to kids. Its way too fragile and a traditional protective case isn't going to work with all the attachment nonsense. It doesn't have a built in cover, to force kids to close it. You can't just toss it in your bag or a large jacket pocket. The battery life is abysmal. Dropping it once down the space between the seats in a car could wreck it. It has exhaust ports open to elements. Durability is one of the top things parents value about the various DS product lines. Lose a JoyCon? $50. Each.

Beyond that, it doesn't play 3DS or DS games, so they are asking people to start all over. Just about every parent I have talked to has cited this. It makes no sense to them to spend this much on a new system with such a limited library of broad family appealing games when their kids also now have tablets or are getting smartphones.

What I really think is going to happen here is that yup, it's gonna sell out at launch and depending on how "Nintendo" Nintendo is with craptastix intentional distribution blocks maybe through the holidays. But I think they have made a losing gamble here by risking their 3DS business on this system.

While personally I like the idea of not having franchise games jump back and forth between portable and console and just having them on one platform, the families that make up the vast majority of 3DS owners (who's kids buy all those pony games we turn our noses up at) are just going to be abandoned by Nintendo. They aren't going for hard core gamers, they are pricing this out of casual gamers (1,2 Switch for $60??!!!), it's not kid friendly on any level, and old foogies like me are just burnt on Wii U and tired of Nintendo's antics.

Particularly with the more in depth reviews of the hardware itself, how the controllers feel, etc that is coming out - I think this may be the one that finally does Nintendo in. I love Nintendo. I just can't see how this is going to work. This Millenial audience they are apparently going after is limited, both in interest in gaming systems and finances to afford such a pricy ecosystem. For the price of a Switch, extra controllers, cases, etc and a couple of games you could just buy a new tablet which can play games and do so much more. This audience they are banking on doesn't have the Nintendo brand loyalty to do it "just because Nintendo".

AEfx

And the Wii U is dead with no future compared to the Switch. For people like me that are upgrading it's a good incentive. Just like Twilight Princess on Wii and GameCube.

They always keep some surprises. For me it's fine but for others not so much.

And really? Only Street Fighter interested you?

The difference between Twilight Princess and this is that Twilight Princess isn't what sold the Wii. It was Wii Sports. The nightly news wasn't showing TP, they were showing grannies playing Wii Sports bowling. The new Zelda game is what the Switch is completely banking on at launch.

I really don't think if by "surprises" you mean games coming this year we don't know about, you are correct. I know people who were at the event. Retailers have already made their plans for the rest of the year. The system launches in a month and a half. What we have seen is what we are getting - hopefully, because several folks I talked to were under the impression that Super Mario Oddessy isn't actually going to make it out this holiday season.

And yeah, the SFII game is the only one that I was like "awesome!" at. Is Arms neat? Yeah but not for $60. Super Mario didn't really excite me - I just don't like the concept. I'd play it, and maybe I'm just smarting over being ripped off on Color Splash, but it certainly wouldn't get me to run out and get one of these now.

Let's put it this way - there is just nothing there they showed that made me think I needed to dump $500 just because "Nintendo". I have a stack of Wii U games I haven't played, should I get the Nintendo itch.

Mike S

That's why they are backing themselves into a corner here. They are fully banking on all those families with kids jumping on this bandwagon and replacing 3DS with this. I just cannot see that happening.

This is not a device I'd give to kids. Its way too fragile and a traditional protective case isn't going to work with all the attachment nonsense. It doesn't have a built in cover, to force kids to close it. You can't just toss it in your bag or a large jacket pocket. The battery life is abysmal. Dropping it once down the space between the seats in a car could wreck it. It has exhaust ports open to elements. Durability is one of the top things parents value about the various DS product lines. Lose a JoyCon? $50. Each.

Beyond that, it doesn't play 3DS or DS games, so they are asking people to start all over. Just about every parent I have talked to has cited this. It makes no sense to them to spend this much on a new system with such a limited library of broad family appealing games when their kids also now have tablets or are getting smartphones.

What I really think is going to happen here is that yup, it's gonna sell out at launch and depending on how "Nintendo" Nintendo is with craptastix intentional distribution blocks maybe through the holidays. But I think they have made a losing gamble here by risking their 3DS business on this system.

While personally I like the idea of not having franchise games jump back and forth between portable and console and just having them on one platform, the families that make up the vast majority of 3DS owners (who's kids buy all those pony games we turn our noses up at) are just going to be abandoned by Nintendo. They aren't going for hard core gamers, they are pricing this out of casual gamers (1,2 Switch for $60??!!!), it's not kid friendly on any level, and old foogies like me are just burnt on Wii U and tired of Nintendo's antics.

Particularly with the more in depth reviews of the hardware itself, how the controllers feel, etc that is coming out - I think this may be the one that finally does Nintendo in. I love Nintendo. I just can't see how this is going to work. This Millenial audience they are apparently going after is limited, both in interest in gaming systems and finances to afford such a pricy ecosystem. For the price of a Switch, extra controllers, cases, etc and a couple of games you could just buy a new tablet which can play games and do so much more. This audience they are banking on doesn't have the Nintendo brand loyalty to do it "just because Nintendo".
The 3DS will probably at most still be around in 2018. I don't think it'll get its own successor though. The battery life is about the same as the original model 3DS was and you'll be able to use portable USB chargers. Not to mention it uses USB type C to charge which from what I've read is pretty fast. Losing the Joy-Cons could be a major problem. At least the straps come in the box. I could see them doing some kind of "Switch lite" in the future like they've done with past handhelds. Maybe it could also be more durable. We don't really know how durable it is right now actually. Nintendo is very good with repairing systems though from my own experience unless that has changed since then. 1, 2, Switch I think is actually $50 but even that is too much. Should've been a pack-in. I think you're overestimating how many accessories people would want to buy also.

I do appreciate that you're not just going "ah this just sucks and is weak trash lolololololol!!!!!" and are actually bringing up points. I don't agree that's it's doomed or DOA but I can appreciate that. I'm surprised you haven't brought up the online though which is something I'm very wary of. Hopefully the free trial of it from launch to the fall is for them to get as much feedback as possible and make it as great as it can be.
The difference between Twilight Princess and this is that Twilight Princess isn't what sold the Wii. It was Wii Sports. The nightly news wasn't showing TP, they were showing grannies playing Wii Sports bowling. The new Zelda game is what the Switch is completely banking on at launch.

I really don't think if by "surprises" you mean games coming this year we don't know about, you are correct. I know people who were at the event. Retailers have already made their plans for the rest of the year. The system launches in a month and a half. What we have seen is what we are getting - hopefully, because several folks I talked to were under the impression that Super Mario Oddessy isn't actually going to make it out this holiday season.

And yeah, the SFII game is the only one that I was like "awesome!" at. Is Arms neat? Yeah but not for $60. Super Mario didn't really excite me - I just don't like the concept. I'd play it, and maybe I'm just smarting over being ripped off on Color Splash, but it certainly wouldn't get me to run out and get one of these now.

Let's put it this way - there is just nothing there they showed that made me think I needed to dump $500 just because "Nintendo". I have a stack of Wii U games I haven't played, should I get the Nintendo itch.
Agree on Wii Sports and Mario Odyssey better be out this holiday. I think they know they need a big holiday title for the system especially if the rumored Pokémon game was just that. I didn't really care for anything in the launch window except for Zelda and possibly Mario Kart in April (local co-op on my plane to California) then Splatoon 2 in the summer (missed the first one). I'm also looking towards getting Yooka-Laylee and Shovel Knight. If you have a stack of Wii U games you haven't played you probably shouldn't get a Switch yet. I'm getting it as I'm ready to move on and don't have a stack of games. Also, what are you putting in that $500 price? I'm just getting the system itself and Zelda as all I would need comes bundled with it.

Last edited:

Mike S

The first commercial has come up from Germany and it's already more clear and to the point than the Wii U's.

I wonder, would they be smart enough to go for an ad during the Super Bowl? It sure helped Pokémon last year.

Last edited:

AEfx

With the price, I'm talking $300 for the system, $70 for pro controller (several games, notably Zelda, pretty much need it from what I've heard - the docked JoyCon doesn't cut it), say $30 for case/protectors, plus games. Sure on actual launch day just the system and a game is minimum, but that's all stuff I'd need to pretty much get right away. As stupid and overpriced as 1/2 Switch is (every single person I've read or heard has commented that you don't even need to look at the screen to play - that's...disturbing) i would pretty much have to get it just to demonstrate the system (and you are absolutely right, the fact it isn't a pack in is inexcusable - I actually think both it and Arms should have been).

The online...I almost said above "and I haven't even gotten to online yet". It's not the hugest deal to me - I'm used to it with XBOX, though lately I've been looking at how many subscriptions I have for various services (Netflix, etc.) and realizing it's adding up.

What worries me about it is what Nintendo was telling people at the event. One of the main benefits is an "SNES Game of the Month" that will be enhanced with multiplayer online (when applicable). You get to play it for a month "free" and then if you like it you can buy it at the end of the month. While that's certainly not all the online service will entail, it's an indicator of the type of value they are going to offer. Basically a free trial of a 25 year old game? When I look at the fact I get three full retail games a month from XBOX, to keep forever (even if I cancelled XBOX Live), I'm like...wow. Especially when you add up the fact that Nintendo sucks at online services to begin with.

I know I'm seeing it rather negatively, but in truth I'm really looking at it as objectively as possible. I have watched hours of commentary and reviews of the demos and playthroughs and read most of the articles out there. In truth I'll obviously get one someday. It's Nintendo. I'm just really disappointed that they aren't doing themselves any favors with a lot of things they could change about this.

Right now I'm dreading hearing what they are going to do (if anything) about Virtual Console. I know there is no way the Wii U digital downloads are making it over, but I keep holding out hope they transfer VC licenses. Given how many Wii and Wii U games I have bought in VC that's a lot of library.

Mike S

With the price, I'm talking $300 for the system, $70 for pro controller (several games, notably Zelda, pretty much need it from what I've heard - the docked JoyCon doesn't cut it), say $30 for case/protectors, plus games. Sure on actual launch day just the system and a game is minimum, but that's all stuff I'd need to pretty much get right away. As stupid and overpriced as 1/2 Switch is (every single person I've read or heard has commented that you don't even need to look at the screen to play - that's...disturbing) i would pretty much have to get it just to demonstrate the system (and you are absolutely right, the fact it isn't a pack in is inexcusable - I actually think both it and Arms should have been).

The online...I almost said above "and I haven't even gotten to online yet". It's not the hugest deal to me - I'm used to it with XBOX, though lately I've been looking at how many subscriptions I have for various services (Netflix, etc.) and realizing it's adding up.

What worries me about it is what Nintendo was telling people at the event. One of the main benefits is an "SNES Game of the Month" that will be enhanced with multiplayer online (when applicable). You get to play it for a month "free" and then if you like it you can buy it at the end of the month. While that's certainly not all the online service will entail, it's an indicator of the type of value they are going to offer. Basically a free trial of a 25 year old game? When I look at the fact I get three full retail games a month from XBOX, to keep forever (even if I cancelled XBOX Live), I'm like...wow. Especially when you add up the fact that Nintendo sucks at online services to begin with.

I know I'm seeing it rather negatively, but in truth I'm really looking at it as objectively as possible. I have watched hours of commentary and reviews of the demos and playthroughs and read most of the articles out there. In truth I'll obviously get one someday. It's Nintendo. I'm just really disappointed that they aren't doing themselves any favors with a lot of things they could change about this.

Right now I'm dreading hearing what they are going to do (if anything) about Virtual Console. I know there is no way the Wii U digital downloads are making it over, but I keep holding out hope they transfer VC licenses. Given how many Wii and Wii U games I have bought in VC that's a lot of library.
That's exactly what I was referring to. Value. If that's all it is it better be much cheaper than XBL and PSN. Hopefully what I read today that you will get to keep the games is true. Also how weird it is that you need an app on your phone for online features that are finally coming to Nintendo that have been on the other consoles for YEARS rather than having those features on the console itself. Good thing they have games that I really want.

A combo title of 1, 2, Switch and Arms would've worked perfectly as a pack-in. It'll eventually happen as I can't see these games selling on their own lol. Or maybe they'll just fade into obscurity.

Edit: I may have found the solution for durability. Same one people use for tablets.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N22YBV...&sr=8-25&keywords=nintendo+switch+accessories

Last edited:

Mike S

I was at the Switch event last week. The Joy-Con Grip was fine for Zelda. It feels a little flimsy, a little light, and might be more problematic for those with bigger hands, but after twenty or so minutes with it I wasn't desperate for a Pro controller or anything.

Arms had more depth than I expected. I sense another Splatoon--something that doesn't necessarily show well but that quickly sinks its hooks into the audience and develops a big following in a hurry. Splatoon 2 is great and other than perhaps Snipperclips it was the best (non-Zelda) thing at the event.

If they're able to get 1, 2 Switch demo stations into box stores and malls, they might be able to drum up some business among the non-traditional crowd that flocked to the Wii. What I played of 1, 2 Switch was weird and great, like Johann Sebastian Joust but with Nintendo's odd playfulness.

I think they'll be fighting an uphill battle, but the Switch might have a future. They really should've had something Pokémon-related at launch--it's almost absurd how insatiable the public is for that stuff. Pokémon has probably surpassed Mario in terms of overall interest, at least based on traffic.
If rumors turn out to be true there'll be Pokémon Stars, the third game for Sun & Moon, in the holidays along with Super Mario Odyssey. If that's true it'll be a very hot item. You could also see why that could be a game they didn't want to reveal just yet to not make people stop buying 3DS's and copies of S&M just yet. This specifically adds fuel to the fire.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.forb...pokemon-on-the-nintendo-switch/?client=safari

At least first party wise they do have a steady release schedule through the year.

Last edited:

PizzaPlanet

The 3DS will still be around for a while, I give it a year.
https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

Some people think that this means it might get its own successor. Personally I think that would be the stupidest most brain dead move Nintendo could make right now. The Switch being all in one is the best chance it has of being any kind of success. The announcement that it's getting the main series Pokémon games would seal it being way more successful than the Wii U. Then add in all the third parties that made games for the 3DS with the first party efforts that the Wii U enjoyed and I just can't see it being a massive failure like the Wii U was. A separate 3DS successor though will be a death knell since there would then be no point to the Switch's portability. Thankfully we are seeing a bit of evidence that this is an all in one. For Nintendo's sake, I sure hope it is.
I'm assuming the 3DS is their insurance policy, just in case the Switch fails. Kind of like how they didn't kill the GBA until after the original DS became a hit.

Sped2424

Original Poster
Late to the party sorry but I am hooked into the switch hype hard lol I pre ordered the console (neon version of course) and the switch special edition of breath of the wild (need me a shekiah slate case). Overall I get concerns but I will say in terms of first year games this is stronger than the wii u already, and pretty okay. I am hoping that we will see more surprise titles pop up this year through directs but time will tell for that. As for concerns on the pricing I can get the anger at the absurdity of the pro controller price. 70 dollars is laughable but so is 65 for a dualshock controller for the ps4 if I am being honest (still only have 1 controller for that system because of it). SO I probably won't get pro controller until a black friday deal or something rolls around and I am fine with that. The only area I am truly concerned with is online which is what we know VERY little about atm. Pricing can make or break this, I also hope they change their policy on the free monthly game as of right now it is beyond useless to give a free month trial of something as an incentive to pay for online. Especially when so many nintendo experiences don't need it.

Mike S

Late to the party sorry but I am hooked into the switch hype hard lol I pre ordered the console (neon version of course) and the switch special edition of breath of the wild (need me a shekiah slate case). Overall I get concerns but I will say in terms of first year games this is stronger than the wii u already, and pretty okay. I am hoping that we will see more surprise titles pop up this year through directs but time will tell for that. As for concerns on the pricing I can get the anger at the absurdity of the pro controller price. 70 dollars is laughable but so is 65 for a dualshock controller for the ps4 if I am being honest (still only have 1 controller for that system because of it). SO I probably won't get pro controller until a black friday deal or something rolls around and I am fine with that. The only area I am truly concerned with is online which is what we know VERY little about atm. Pricing can make or break this, I also hope they change their policy on the free monthly game as of right now it is beyond useless to give a free month trial of something as an incentive to pay for online. Especially when so many nintendo experiences don't need it.
Not to mention the Switch Pro Controller has the same HD rumble as the Joy-Cons.

I got the all gray Switch and the standard Zelda. All that stuff in the special edition is cool but I already have a backpack for any time I would leave with my Switch for a prolonged period of time like Disney or something like that.

JT3000

As for concerns on the pricing I can get the anger at the absurdity of the pro controller price. 70 dollars is laughable but so is 65 for a dualshock controller for the ps4 if I am being honest (still only have 1 controller for that system because of it).

I think the difference is that's the only controller most people will need, with most multiplayer being online now. But if a system has more than one type of controller, and they aren't going to work equally as well for every game, I'd expect both of them to come in the package.

Sped2424

Original Poster
I think the difference is that's the only controller most people will need, with most multiplayer being online now. But if a system has more than one type of controller, and they aren't going to work equally as well for every game, I'd expect both of them to come in the package.
But it seems pretty clear the joy con packaged can be split in two for most of not all the games presented. Arms being the only exception I saw. But Mario kart, snippy clips, 1 2 switch both seem to work fine for multiplayer with the pre packaged joy cons.

Mike S

The grip that essentially turns the Joy-Cons into a Pro Controller comes in the package.
So....Universal is building Nintendo Switchland?
This is really the only place on Magic where this conversation can happen and be relatively on topic and actually have people take part in it.

Sped2424

Original Poster
The grip that essentially turns the Joy-Cons into a Pro Controller comes in the package.

This is really the only place on Magic where this conversation can happen and be relatively on topic and actually have people take part in it.
We may have gotten carried away with it perhaps we should switch ;;;))))) over to the rumor of a more detailed announcement for nintendo land coming soon. All kidding aside had anyone else heard about that??

Sped2424

Original Poster
Fire emblem warriors announced for fall 2017 for switch. Another triple a title is now back in 2017 instead of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Seems like nintendo is going to continue to do directs to surprise this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom