Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

Mike S

Mobile games, like Pokemon Go and Mario Run, are a great way for Nintendo to market their characters, advertise for new games/consoles, etc but should never be the full focus of the games. Nintendo and its developers do well when they focus on innovative gameplay of their core series and the best known characters.

Look what Pokemon Go did for the New 3DSXL and Gen VI Pokemon games - sales went up, and it's the 20th anniversary of the franchise, and there's a new gen coming out which got people excited. It definitely made me pine for the older games and next thing you know, I was at GameStop buying and 3DSXL, OR and X and putting a deposit on a pre-order for Sun. It works. (Granted, Pokemon Go is a Niantic game, not Nintendo, which the latter only making money off the game residually due to their stake in the Pokemon Company International, but still)

I see Mario Run doing the same thing - promoting and creating excitement for both the platformers on the handhelds and the newer games, like Galaxy, on the home console.

It's great seeing Nintendo finally break into mobile markets and having some cute games for Android or iOS. But I think the company would be foolish to abandon what made them an international household name or characters that prints them money. Glad to see them not listening to Wall Street on this one as well. Especially since cell phones have planned obsolescence of only about six months, whereas the major consoles (Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation) usually plan their consoles to have a market life of 3-4 years before the next gen comes out.
I've read a story that one investor at the last meeting complained that they kept talking about video games. Apparently they didn't know Nintendo was a video game company.

ProfSavage

I've read a story that one investor at the last meeting complained that they kept talking about video games. Apparently they didn't know Nintendo was a video game company.

Oy *rubs temples* that's like saying you don't know Disney is a movie/entertainment company or Nike is a sports apparel company. That's, like, THEIR THING, and what the reputation of the companies have been built upon...

Jimmy Thick

He's running dual graphics cards. Right there is a lot of money.

Maybe, it depends on the graphic cards, but even if you are running sli with two Nvidia 1080's, which you shouldn't because very few games/ applications available to the public take advantage of dual cards and you will get much better performance out of one card, it's still hard to get to 5k unless this person is using state of the art Intel processors and motherboards which again would not benefit games as they are not made for gaming.

But it's his cash, hopefully he's playing at 4K to get the most out of that rig.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I'm one of the PC gamer in search of the best rig type gamers, but 5k is a little overkill if not silly to have a top of the line gaming system.

Spending without worry of budget I can get a top of the chart system for 2.3k.

But think of it this way.

A Nvidia GTX 1070 is the third best graphic card you can get today, and it's more powerful than both the PS4 and XB1. And light years more powerful than the Nintendo Switch.
Agreed 5K is a waste of money on a machine unless your doing numbers calculation or rendering, the only reason I'm about to go pick up a 1070 is because my 760 can barely run a 4K monitor.

Jimmy Thick

Agreed 5K is a waste of money on a machine unless your doing numbers calculation or rendering, the only reason I'm about to go pick up a 1070 is because my 760 can barely run a 4K monitor.

For gaming you only need an I5 6600k, couple that with a strong motherboard, decent ram, liquid cooling and a 1070 or 1080 and you have something that will chew up and spit out anything and completely embarrass current and the next generation of consoles including the Nintendo Switch.

1070 on 4K? Well it's hit or miss, it can do 4K but you can't run with ultra settings, if that's a big deal you might want the 1080. On Doom with my 1070 at 4K I have to turn off AA and drop FoV to 90 and run at high setting. Even with it neutered it still looks far better at 4K than maxed out at 1440.

Voxel

President of Progress City
For gaming you only need an I5 6600k, couple that with a strong motherboard, decent ram, liquid cooling and a 1070 or 1080 and you have something that will chew up and spit out anything and completely embarrass current and the next generation of consoles including the Nintendo Switch.

1070 on 4K? Well it's hit or miss, it can do 4K but you can't run with ultra settings, if that's a big deal you might want the 1080. On Doom with my 1070 at 4K I have to turn off AA and drop FoV to 90 and run at high setting. Even with it neutered it still looks far better at 4K than maxed out at 1440.
Exactly. I don't care about ultra setting but my 760 was barely running 1080 in ultra anymore so I figured it was time for a change. The 1070 is an amazing price point for the raw power

Musicman20

I don't rate mobile games. I got bored of Pokémon Go very quickly but it is a cool little game.

I just don't enjoy games on a mobile phone. If I want handheld it has to be a 3DS.

I have a Wii/3DS/Wii U and I have one of the Nintendo Minis on order. I also play PS4. To me, Nintendo will always be unique. I will be ordering a Switch but I might not get one on release. All depends.

I bought a new larger 1080p TV a year or more back. I won't be upgrading to 4K at any point in the near future. I won't be buying the inbetween PS4 Pro....I like the PS4 as it is to be fair.

On topic - I can't wait for Nintendo land!

ProfSavage

When do you think we will start seeing some concept art???

52752066.jpg

Siren

Okay so, this may only appeal to older gamers or perhaps those -- who are into retro old school kind of gaming. Anyway, there is literally like a frenzy going on right now with people clamoring to buy the NES Classic Edition, it just went on sale in stores today.

This is definitely for the nostalgia crowd and it is the perfect gift for gamers and collectors.

332qhhv.png

The price is $59.99 and is pre-loaded with 30 games, so that is a steal. Amazon is supposed to start selling these at 2PM and they are expected to sell out in minutes and you can't use One Click for this, either.

I personally cannot excuse the cords attached to the game controllers or the low graphics. LOL.

I will just wait for the Nintendo Switch. And, I am so glad that Nintendo is using game cartridges again -- yay!!! I loathe CD's so much.

And, I can't wait for something like Nintendo Switch Fit and Just Dance on this, too. I also hope there will be a new and improved balance board or at least make the Wii U balance board compatible with the Nintendo Switch.

Anyway, happy shopping!

In regards to Nintendoland, I hope some details will come out of Japan soon. I wonder if Universal Creative is overwhelmed with the Nintendo IP, it's so different than anything they've ever done before.

Last edited:

Jimmy Thick

I personally cannot excuse the cords attached to the game controllers or the low graphics. LOL.

Low graphics?

Do you mean low graphics based on the old hardware? Because that little box produces crystal clear HD graphics far superior to the emulation used on the Wii U virtual console, those graphics jump off the screen for their age.

The cords are indeed short, 2 1/2 feet I believe but this will be Nintendos best selling item this Christmas bar none, it's limited sure but really amazing for what it is.

Siren

Low graphics?

Do you mean low graphics based on the old hardware? Because that little box produces crystal clear HD graphics far superior to the emulation used on the Wii U virtual console, those graphics jump off the screen for their age.

The cords are indeed short, 2 1/2 feet I believe but this will be Nintendos best selling item this Christmas bar none, it's limited sure but really amazing for what it is.
Hi @Jimmy Thick! Time Magazine reported that the NES Classic has sold out everywhere and it's already on Ebay upwards of $500. http://time.com/4568238/nes-classic-sold-out/

It has also sold out on Amazon in (null) seconds. LOL. https://techcrunch.com/2016/11/11/n...-out-of-nes-classic-editions-in-null-seconds/

Anyway, thank you for clarifying everything. The graphics for this game sound very impressive. I thought it would look exactly the same, well maybe slightly better. LOL.

Jimmy Thick

If anyone is still looking for the red hot and sold out Nes Classic, apparently Walmart will be selling them all week online at 5pm EST.

It's pretty much a luck of the draw but if you want one or want to give one as a gift it's probably your best chance to land one as this looks like classic Nintendo limited quantity hype.

Or pay the scalpers online hundreds of dollars for a 60 dollar system.

Good luck!

Siren

The price for the Nintendo Switch is actually going to be cheaper than the Wii U at just $199 for the basic and $250 for the Deluxe.

Nintendo may put both Playstation and Xbox out of business with this. LOL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom