Nintendo partnering with Universal to make attractions.

tcool

Play the Super Mario Galaxy games, you will not regret it :)
It was fun, but I regretted it because I suck at platforming games 2D or 3D. I don't think i got past the first world on New Supper Mario Bros. And in Galaxy I was okay, but raged quit many times.

AJO

TLDR: There's a good chance that Nintendo spells out a third park for Orlando, at the VERY minimum an immersive land with heavy attraction lineup. If it doesn't mean a second gate for USJ, I'll eat Mario's hat.

Long time lurker on here, but couldn't resist finally weighing in on this one -

While KidZone and the area behind MIB may seem like the obvious choice for this, I'm inclined to agree that that may be thinking too small - I think that this is Universal's best shot at a successful third gate, and I think there's some compelling arguments to be made for it. I can think of no other property on Earth, with the arguable exception of the Lord of the Rings, that holds the clobbering power of Nintendo and has yet to be spoken for in the theme park industry. Let's think about this:

1) Universal's eventual goal is to turn the Orlando "Disney Vacation" into the "Universal Vacation". While I don't believe this is going to happen in the forseeable future if ever, of course it wants a part of Disney's success, and Disney's model works. People show up, and don't have to leave their property until they go home. Universal has been working towards this by nicely filling out USF's and IOA's attraction rosters with beloved, well-recognized franchises (HPx2, Transformers, Minions, Springfield and now Kong in just the last 5 years), rapid hotel expansion to encourage guests to not leave the property, and now Volcano Bay to round out the experience. But to truly compete with the Disney Vacation, there's no denying they need a third gate.

2) What's the biggest complaint about Universal? "It's not for kids like Disney is." Nintendo is the ONLY brand that packs a punch for that demographic that is even close to Disney, and it's made only better that Mario and friends resound throughout generations. This brand could single-handedly address this problem that has plagued Universal parks being compared to Disney parks since their opening.

3) Finally, the amount of potential Nintendo holds is incalculable - imagine a park with the unifying theme of video games, and the world-beloved Mario at the helm. Why stop at Nintendo? If Universal could scoop up a few more mature video game properties, they could have a very nicely rounded out park. Video games already clobber the film industry in terms of gross revenue, and while Super Mario Brothers, Pokemon and the rest of the Nintendo crew are the timeless staples, other brands value shouldn't be denied - imagine stepping into the blocky world of Minecraft, battling Space Invaders or running from Inky and Blinky in a retro games land, meeting Ezio in Renaissance Italy (Assassin's Creed) or "taking an arrow to the knee" in a Skyrim simulator. I think a video game themed park would be a resounding success and an incredible unifying theme. PLUS, with several video-game-inspired blockbusters on the horizon, not the least of which being Universal's own Warcraft, I think it only adds to the argument.

4) As I mentioned before, in just the last five years, Universal Orlando has opened 3 new immersive lands (HP x2, Springfield), 3 new E-tickets (HP x2, Transformers), 3 OTHER new attractions (Ollivanders x2, Hogwarts Express, Kang and Kodos), revamped 3 more attractions (Flight of the Hippogriff, Dragon Challenge, Minions), a miniature golf course and given Spiderman a facelift. Not to mention the officially confirmed mini-land/E'ticket Kong, new park Volcano Bay and new resort Sapphire Falls loaded in the cannon for the next 2 years, with strong rumours of Fallon and Fast and Furious making their debuts as well. Point is, the rate of expansion here is unprecedented - why would anyone question the ambition of Universal execs here?

While I'd begrudgingly agree that it's not the most likely outcome of this, I felt compelled to point out that it shouldn't be ruled out right from the get-go. I think the most compelling, and likely outcome of this is a Nintendo-land over KidZone, used as a beta test for USJ's 2nd gate, where Nintendo holds an even stronger brand presence. Fingers crossed though, I do think there is hope for a third gate out of this yet! I'm sure Universal execs have been pulling their hair out deciding if they want to play it safe with just a land, or go all-in for their third gate - but good luck finding a better franchise to headline that gate when it finally is time to build it.

Jrn14

I know it hasn't been that long since this deal went through but any new details on possible attractions that could be coming to USF? I'm very curious.

Siren

I don't know what's going on with Nintendoland but Nintendo is still releasing exciting titles for the Wii U.
2cr7rlk.jpg

Lego Jurassic World is out now!

j82yvc.jpg

Disney Infinity Star Wars will be released on August 30, 2015.

2s84j8j.jpg

Disney Infinity Inside Out Toy bundle will be released on August 30, 2015

2h49j09.jpg

Super Mario Maker will be released on September 11, 2015.

o89mio.jpg

Yoshi's Wooly World will be released on October 16, 2015. I don't know if this can beat Kirby's Epic Yarn, but it still looks like a lot of fun. And, Yoshi is so cute.
Nintendo is planning to release an entirely new console soon. The working title is called Nintendo NX. So, Nintendo is still very much relevant.

Speaking of video games, I actually went to see Pixels at the movies. I hadn't planned on seeing this at the cinema but, I totally blame it on the heat. We played some golf that morning in oppressive 95+ degree weather and the rest was a blur. Somehow we all ended up at the movies.

I enjoyed Pixels and I believe that the marketing ruined the success of this movie like John Carter. Also, another critic said that if Pixels had incorporated Minecraft, it would have been a massive success. My only regret is that I didn't see it in 3D.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what Universal comes up with for Nintendoland!

Last edited:

Matt_Black

I enjoyed Pixels and I believe that the marketing ruined the success of this movie like John Carter. Also, another critic said that if Pixels had incorporated Minecraft, it would have been a massive success. My only regret is that I didn't see it in 3D.

Pixels didn't fail because of marketing. Pixels failed because the target audience already saw that plot done better in a shorter amount of time when it was an episode of Futurama.

Siren

This kind of thing happens all the time. The new Supergirl TV Series Drama on CBS is *identical* to Black Widow's parody on SNL. It happens, lol.

And, I have never seen a single episode (at least not a full one) of Futurama. I'm not part of the intended market, but I still contend that it was the poor marketing that doomed Pixels.

Pixels marketing should have highlighted that Kevin James was the POTUS and Jane Krakwoski was the first lady. This was hilarious to me. Also, marketing should have shown Peter Dinklage as a kid, especially when he arrived at the arcade like a rock star with a gorgeous woman on each arm, instead of a felon. And of course, Martha Stewart and Serena Williams together in a White House bedroom waiting for Peter Dinklage after he helped save the world from Pac Man. LOL. Marketing should have focused more on the crazy storyline and wonderful actors and relied less on the video game characters and graphics, IMO.

Last edited:

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I've read possibilities of a Mario Kart E Ticket and a Zelda dark ride on Orlando United but nothing much else. Something Donkey Kong too.

Id be down for a Mario Kart attraction. In terms of a full on 3rd park based on Nintendo properties i dont see it working.

Siren

I live in a kids neighborhood and they all wanted to go see Pixels, a few did the first weekend. Report was the movie was bad get your parents to see something else. That's where Pixels failed. JP was big because the first round of kids who saw it loved it and just about every kid in my neighborhood went to see JP in the movie theaters. I'm sure that's not just where I live.

Believe me or don't believe but Adam Sandler is very popular with the kids. Right now he's down in Savannah filming for his NetFlix movies and every kids around here wants to go look around Savannah for him. His films live or die by what the kids think. The Cobbler? It's on Netflix right now and the kids won't even watch it they get bored in the first 2 minutes.
Oh, I totally believe you. I didn't see Pixels until several weeks later and the theater was full, not packed to the gills full, but full. And, no kids were present, so I am surprised to hear that there were kids who wanted to see Pixels, lol. But, I am not surprised by their reaction, because Pixels is bad for kids. I could imagine them being bored and there was some questionable content that may or may not have gone over their heads.

I don't think it's fair to compare Pixels to Jurassic World, which is a well established franchise. Whereas, Pixels is a random film by Adam Sandler. I enjoyed the movie for what it was, and will contend that it needed better strategic marketing. It's not a kids movie, and in part, that's where they went wrong. IMO.
As an side, Animal Crossing Happy Home for Nintendo 3DS will be out on September 25, 2015. It has some kind reader, I don't know what it is or what it's for. But, the game looks cute and it's also for sale without the reader.

Last edited:

Siren

Adam Sandler is very popular with maybe 10 or so year olds much more then JP which most had never heard of and that's why they liked JP. I thought JP was just a formula movie, didn't like it, didn't hate it. First time for them and they love that movie. Ask a 12 year old boy about Benchwarmers,Waterboy, Happy Gilmore and Grown ups. They all know those movies. Star Trek, Star Wars, JP etc. ? They don't know those movies. They all watch Ridiculous on MTV BTW. Smosh brothers on You tube. I have kids running all over the place where I live and I know what they watch and or care about.
Okay, well I hope Sandler's next film has better success, especially with his younger fans. There was a film critic who said that if Pixels had incorporated Minecraft for boys, it would have been a massive success.

Anyway, getting back on topic. If Universal decides to do a Mario Kart ride, I really hope they give Luigi a makeover and get rid of the "Luigi Death Stare." Luigi used to be really nice and sweet, but now he is a just awful. LOL.

Last edited:

Siren

Well, his next film is a Western, not the biggest genre with younger fans, and it's apparently incredibly racist to boot.
OMG, I just googled it. Maybe Netflix should just axe this -- morale on the set and among the actors is very low right from the start -- I just don't see how they can recover -- the damage has already been done. I feel bad for the actors, too. No one should be made to feel ashamed or humiliated because of who they are or where they come from -- it sounds like Sandler is insensitive and stuck in the 80's.

Mikejakester

I know it hasn't been that long since this deal went through but any new details on possible attractions that could be coming to USF? I'm very curious.
As of last today, Mario Kart and a DK coaster proposed area is around the kid zone Barney area pushing back towards MIB. There is approximately 12 acres there, but 2-3 will be used for offices. This can change tomorrow and each day after.

No third gate ( as of today) . Although the idea of Isla Nublar is being thrown around. But it's just that... An idea.

Last edited:

Mikejakester

As of last week, Mario Kart and a DK coaster.
As of last today, Mario Kart and a DK coaster proposed area is around the kid zone Barney area pushing back towards MIB. There is approximately 12 acres there, but 2-3 will be used for offices. This can change tomorrow and each day after.

No third gate ( as of today) . Although the idea of Isla Nublar is being thrown around. But it's just that... An idea.

If I may add... I am kind of surprised Universal announced this so early in the game. Teams aren't even staffed 100%. The only thing that seems sure is Mario Kart and it's currently working thru it's growing pains due to the ride technology. I would give it a good year before we start getting any real concrete information. Not even the guys working it know exactly what we are going to get. (they do, but it's so far off that it's silly to talk about right now).

I feel like it's like trying to figure out the gender of a baby, skin tone and eye color when you just conceived. lol

Mike S

If I may add... I am kind of surprised Universal announced this so early in the game. Teams aren't even staffed 100%. The only thing that seems sure is Mario Kart and it's currently working thru it's growing pains due to the ride technology. I would give it a good year before we start getting any real concrete information. Not even the guys working it know exactly what we are going to get. (they do, but it's so far off that it's silly to talk about right now).

I feel like it's like trying to figure out the gender of a baby, skin tone and eye color when you just conceived. lol
I thought the rumor was 2018? Or is that what you mean by far off?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom