Nikon D7100

NowInc

Original Poster
Ah but with full frame comes lenses of which I cant afford :( I already have a nice stock of crop glass.

TRUST me..I'm still on the fence about maybe just saving longer, shelling out the extra $300 for the d600 and then just start renting lenses. IF this was something I made money from, it would be a no brainer..but sadly its still just a hobby.

ddbowdoin

Ah but with full frame comes lenses of which I cant afford :( I already have a nice stock of crop glass.

TRUST me..I'm still on the fence about maybe just saving longer, shelling out the extra $300 for the d600 and then just start renting lenses. IF this was something I made money from, it would be a no brainer..but sadly its still just a hobby.

you could always look at the D range lenses... the G lenses aren't that much better to be quite honest with you.

stuart

As you say - Finally!

I've had my D300 for 4 years next month, and really wanting a new DX model with higher MP but more importantly, higher ISO performance, and use the D300 as the second body. Pretty much everything I need, and even the crop mode which then gives 7fps will be mega handy.

CP_alum08

Decent price, but not sure how it's an upgrade. I like the 51 AF points but we are back in the megapixel race.
Agreed, I don't need more megapixles. I want better dynamic range and better high ISO performance and no DX camera is going to fill those needs sadly. The 51-point AF is nice but probably overkill if you aren't shooting action/sports. Still looks like the D600 is the better option for me...whenever that will be :)

ddbowdoin

Agreed, I don't need more megapixles. I want better dynamic range and better high ISO performance and no DX camera is going to fill those needs sadly. The 51-point AF is nice but probably overkill if you aren't shooting action/sports. Still looks like the D600 is the better option for me...whenever that will be :)

I am in the same boat... I mean, I think the photogs here know I have ramped back any and all of my digital rigs. I am finding that my now extremely affordable film systems smoke digital equipment. The only thing I'll give FX cameras, is that they are convenient and achieving the end result becomes a hell of a lot easier with post work. I used to be a pretty confident photographer, now I am very humble as my film work just isn't that good. Balancing light, via filters I can't find or afford, is now my arch enemy.

NowInc

Original Poster
Just got the call from my local camera shop that mines on track to be here next week :D I know a lot of outlets already got their shipments yesterday, but the camera shop situation here in south florida (north of miami) is pretty grim. MOST shops are only getting the kit sets in, and I don't need that. I can wait...just a little if I need to :)

Side note: Amazon apparently dropped the ball BIG time on this if anyone was thinking of going that route. Rumor has it that they won't be getting any until mid April.

stuart

Got mine yesterday on actual launch day from local independant shop, which was £100 cheaper than Amazon. Was hoping to use it this weekend for some football matches, but weather is going to rain off those plans.

i-S4c38t8-L.jpg

i-bb7shwW-L.jpg

ddbowdoin

Got mine yesterday on actual launch day from local independant shop, which was £100 cheaper than Amazon. Was hoping to use it this weekend for some football matches, but weather is going to rain off those plans.

i-S4c38t8-L.jpg

i-bb7shwW-L.jpg
What Lens is that!?!?!??

Why, the 7100 is weather sealed

stuart

What Lens is that!?!?!??

Why, the 7100 is weather sealed

It is indeed weather sealed, but I couldnt be bothered going out in the pouring rain, but it relented a bit so here is one from Saturday...
DSC_0181-L.jpg

Here is one from Sunday of the D7100 and that lens, without the adaptor, but using the 1.3x crop mode which takes it down to 15.4mp

i-Qf3j5v5-L.jpg

The lens is this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/549256-REG/Sigma_737306_150_500mm_f_5_6_3_DG_OS.html and also has the 2.0x adaptor added.

Some sample pics taken with it...
Handheld, Stags up Glen Etive
i-GLqgQhL-L.jpg

Handheld, Lufthansa Boeing 747-800 at 32,000 ft
i-3g5WkrH-L.jpg

Handheld, Nicole Kidman filming Railwayman at Perth Railway Station:
i-W88x8Zf-L.jpg

Colin Firth...taken with a monopod and the 2.0x adaptor on...
i-rLTHF55-L.jpg

And, one last one, handheld, at night, on my D300. Only settings I can get from the site, are 1/40 f 6.3, doesn't have ISO, must have been fairly high though.
DSC_0448-L.jpg

NowInc

Original Poster
Just got my D7100 yesterday. LOVE it. Its also a great feeling to know that this will pretty much be my last crop body. Next step is full frame.

NowInc

Original Poster
Just an update now that I have had a couple of days to really get some use in: For what this camera costs, its amazingly impressive. The low light performance is substantial for a crop sensor (90% noise free at 1600, and still VERY low noise at 3200), the autofocus is magically fast, and the dynamic range is unbelievable (able to boost up shadows almost to 100% in post with ZERO noise gain).

That being said, there ARE a few negatives. First off (and this won't matter much for those of us who shoot in RAW), the auto white balance pretty much always favors "warm". This is mostly an issue when you work with video. Second, the button placement..although not HORRIBLE, will take a bit to get used to. I am not a fan of the ISO and WB buttons being on the back side of the camera on the left, as that makes it REALLY hard to switch while using the viewfinder. The shooting mode dial has a lock on it as well, which is literally impossible to function with one hand. Third, and I guess this is just me nitpicking, but no included wireless or GPS? Wireless I can live without easily, but the GPS would have set this thing over the top. This is a problem easily solved by going third party :) http://www.amazon.com/Opteka-GPN-1-Geotagging-Shutter-Release/dp/B005D84SDO/ .

I will be posting sample images as soon as lightroom updates so it can support this camera officially (right now I have to edit the EXIF data to make it read the D5200 but this doesn't always work).

So final(?) impression: For a Nikon user, this thing is something to brag about. I waited patiently for this body to be announced/released and it has exceeded my expectations in so many ways. For canon users, you will have a hard time getting used to the layout, but I have heard from a few of my canon buddies that even they are jealous of what this thing provides for the low cost it is.

CP_alum08

Just got my D7100 yesterday. LOVE it. Its also a great feeling to know that this will pretty much be my last crop body. Next step is full frame.
What did you upgrade from? I hadn't looked into the 7100 much but after you said how cheap it was I checked it out and $1200 is a lot less than I was expecting. I'm shooting on a D90 now and was thinking I'd wait until I had (loads) of extra money and do a full FX upgrade...but the likeliness of that happening soon seems a bit far fetched. $1200 is easily doable especially when I won't need to upgrade any lenses right away I just don't know if it's a worthwhile upgrade. Thoughts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom