NFL Pro Bowl Week arrives at ESPN Wide World of Sports and Disney Springs

jt04

The players generally love going to Hawaii but I could see Orlando becomming even more popular. I hear it is a popular ticket already.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm hoping it says in Orlando for a while - I'd like to check it out sometime and it was never in the budget to go to Hawaii

hpyhnt 1000

I heard the opposite - a lot of players didn't care for a long flight for a game that essentially prolonged their season.

Yep. Contrast with Florida (or California to some degree as well) where it's a day's drive or relatively short-hop flight for a lot of players and staff. I'm also willing to bet that a fair number of players have some kind of vacation home or condo down here anyway, so the Pro-Bowl almost becomes a stop over on the way to their off-season vacation.

This all holds true for fans I might add. Planning a trip out to Hawaii is a time consuming and expensive proposition. Taking an extended weekend to drive down to Florida is much more feasible. And with Orlando, you have 3 franchises and the third most populous state in the US right outside the city limits.

rael ramone

Thoughts on the Pro Bowl itself:

It's dying. Many players don't want to play (and they are right to stay home). The primary job of the Quarterback is to win games, and 3 of the 5 replacement quarterbacks come from losing teams. Phillip Rivers, who lost 11 games (including to Cleveland) and threw 21 picks, is one of them. The trend is for this (the skipping of this game) to grow (considering that skipping 'extra' games is spreading to college). If this event survives a few more years, I would not be surprised to see players starting in the Pro Bowl that aren't even starting for their own teams.

Thoughts on Pro Bowl in Orlando:

Could be of interest to parkgoers. WWOS needs things to do. Seeing players up close can be neat, even if they aren't playing for real. Could be an interesting addition to a WDW visit.

Final thoughts:

It may be best for all concerned (NFL, ESPN, WDW) for the Pro Bowl itself to be *replaced* with the skills competition. Lower risk of injury. Have a week of festivities, including as many players (including retired ones) who want to attend - sign autographs, pose with guests, have light competition meant for families to enjoy...

jt04

Yep. Contrast with Florida (or California to some degree as well) where it's a day's drive or relatively short-hop flight for a lot of players and staff. I'm also willing to bet that a fair number of players have some kind of vacation home or condo down here anyway, so the Pro-Bowl almost becomes a stop over on the way to their off-season vacation.

This all holds true for fans I might add. Planning a trip out to Hawaii is a time consuming and expensive proposition. Taking an extended weekend to drive down to Florida is much more feasible. And with Orlando, you have 3 franchises and the third most populous state in the US right outside the city limits.

Pretty sure the NFL arranges the travel to the pro bowl for most but you make valid points about convenience.

My thought above is based on hearing Lincoln Kennedy often stating on his radio show that the players loved taking their families to Hawaii. I personally think Orlando can do better and would not mind seeing the pro bowl relocate to Florida annually.

Cmdr_Crimson

This was a great time to go..Low Crowds, the occasional tour groups, Cheerleaders and the what not...I decided to avoid this year to see how crowds affect this. My only plan is go after it is over for next year on the 29th of Jan..

evilzorac

I just booked room at Swan on Travelocity for Fri -Sunday for $140 a night. This seemed like a great deal and there were lots of other options both on and off property. I am no expert but that seems to say to me that this event isn't very successful.

TimeTrip

I would guess that most people interested in the ProBowl itself would book closer to downtown and the stadium. WWOS is pretty far away from the stadium, so I don't imagine there would be a huge increase in pricing for hotels on Disney property.
Closer to downtown a Saturday to Sunday night stay at Embassy suites is currently $399 as opposed to $259 on a late February weekend.

jt04

I would guess that most people interested in the ProBowl itself would book closer to downtown and the stadium. WWOS is pretty far away from the stadium, so I don't imagine there would be a huge increase in pricing for hotels on Disney property.
Closer to downtown a Saturday to Sunday night stay at Embassy suites is currently $399 as opposed to $259 on a late February weekend.

Exactly. Much more an event for greater Orlando that also includes WDW.

New soccer stadium opens soon and looks great. Orlando Magic still proceeding with their new complex near the arena. The pro bowl is a great addition to the mix. Amazing times.

Bolt

I just booked room at Swan on Travelocity for Fri -Sunday for $140 a night. This seemed like a great deal and there were lots of other options both on and off property. I am no expert but that seems to say to me that this event isn't very successful.
I also view it as more of a local event - not sure I would fly in to see 1 or 2 people from my team only play half a game. It's kind of like ESPN The Weekend, people attended it but didn't really book vacation around it.

R W B

Figures, I've been to WDW 14 times and this event, something Id actually want took for, I can't... Maybe next year.

I also view it as more of a local event - not sure I would fly in to see 1 or 2 people from my team only play half a game. It's kind of like ESPN The Weekend, people attended it but didn't really book vacation around it.
I agree but the crappy thing is a few years ago I was waiting for the dates to be released to book a trip and instead the event was cancelled so we didn't take a trip that year.

evilzorac

Whether pro bowl is a success or not with people/fans/players I can assure you 20-30 yr old millionaires are not interested in visiting Orlando. That is no slight to Orlando or the amusement parks, but those guys want to go to Vegas, exotic resorts, and yea, Hawaii.

Pixie VaVoom

We don't watch the pro-bowl. My hubby gets frustrated and calls it the 'huggy bowl'. There is no drive in the competition...no teeth to it - no skin in the game. Just our unsolicited opinion.

bhg469

Whether pro bowl is a success or not with people/fans/players I can assure you 20-30 yr old millionaires are not interested in visiting Orlando. That is no slight to Orlando or the amusement parks, but those guys want to go to Vegas, exotic resorts, and yea, Hawaii.
This is absolutely correct.
For the fans, the game needs to happen after the season is over because a goos portion of players are playing in the superbowl, they would never risk injury before that.

The players don't give a hoot about Orlando... Well let me rephrase that. NFL starters who would be in the pro bowl but don't go, don't give a hoot about Orlando.

Hawaii was a destination to entice players to an exotic location. Heck I remember seeing an old Olympic soccer facility in st. Lucia on my ride from the airport. Why not switch it up to werid locations every year? I'm sure a ton of players would love to go to Dubai, hopefully some of their criminal records will keep them there.

I agree what was said about a skills competition. Those are far more entertaining than the game.

jt04

This is absolutely correct.
For the fans, the game needs to happen after the season is over because a goos portion of players are playing in the superbowl, they would never risk injury before that.

The players don't give a hoot about Orlando... Well let me rephrase that. NFL starters who would be in the pro bowl but don't go, don't give a hoot about Orlando.

Hawaii was a destination to entice players to an exotic location. Heck I remember seeing an old Olympic soccer facility in st. Lucia on my ride from the airport. Why not switch it up to werid locations every year? I'm sure a ton of players would love to go to Dubai, hopefully some of their criminal records will keep them there.

I agree what was said about a skills competition. Those are far more entertaining than the game.

:rolleyes:

Really?

Please think before hitting the post button.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom