NFL, Dragon, Easy way to improve, Deflategate, should Bieber be deported

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Arguably the best thread title. And yes, Bieber needs to be sent home, but I don't think Canada wants him any more than we do.

I too was wondering what the NFL had to do with dragons and Justin Bieber....

Thanks for the chuckle.

Nmoody1

;);)
Don't even need to make it a Banshee. Just have it come in during Rivers of Light as part of a "creatures of mythology" segment

creatures of mythology? it'll never work! just replace that section with a temporary stage and a meet n greet... at least for the first 10 years of Rivers of Light, by then we'll forget all about the animal in the dead centre of Animal Kingdoms logo!

Fable McCloud

PLEASE BRING THE DRAGON BACK! I thought that was just so cool, and i really made it feel like you were in a Fantasy Land, because there was a dragon soaring around. It'd be so nice to have to fly around the castle or something...

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If you're not going to take this thread seriously, we are going to have to ask you to leave.
image.jpg

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Re Deflategate,

You can break the laws of man and the NFL - but you CANNOT break the laws of physics. But it just speaks to most 'Murican's total scientific illiteracy.

SInce the balls were inflated in a 72 degree room, Boyle's law states as the temperature of a gas decreases so will it's pressure. (for the purist VOLUME but since the gas is in a container as volume drops so will pressure) At 40 degrees the ball would lose approximately 1.5 PSI relative to inflation pressure at 72 degrees. So if the balls were inflated to 12.5 PSI @ 72F at 40F degrees they would be at 11 PSI.

So the only way to properly measure the pressure would be inflate the balls at 'FIELD' temperature or allow the balls to come to thermal equilibrium and then measure the pressure.

This is why when you fill your car tires it specifies that they be 'cold' ie approximately room temperature.

As to the game - well I'll probably be working in my shop or watching the Puppy Bowl - much more entertaining, I don't give a tinkers D--n about who wins.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Arguably the best thread title. And yes, Bieber needs to be sent home, but I don't think Canada wants him any more than we do.

I too was wondering what the NFL had to do with dragons and Justin Bieber....

Thanks for the chuckle.

Send him to Russia, Putin will fix him right as a private in the Red Army. He'd look good in one of those striped tops.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Re Deflategate,

You can break the laws of man and the NFL - but you CANNOT break the laws of physics. But it just speaks to most 'Murican's total scientific illiteracy.

SInce the balls were inflated in a 72 degree room, Boyle's law states as the temperature of a gas decreases so will it's pressure. (for the purist VOLUME but since the gas is in a container as volume drops so will pressure) At 40 degrees the ball would lose approximately 1.5 PSI relative to inflation pressure at 72 degrees. So if the balls were inflated to 12.5 PSI @ 72F at 40F degrees they would be at 11 PSI.

So the only way to properly measure the pressure would be inflate the balls at 'FIELD' temperature or allow the balls to come to thermal equilibrium and then measure the pressure.

This is why when you fill your car tires it specifies that they be 'cold' ie approximately room temperature.

As to the game - well I'll probably be working in my shop or watching the Puppy Bowl - much more entertaining, I don't give a tinkers D--n about who wins.
So they inflated Brady's balls indoors, but left Luck's balls out in the cold?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So they inflated Brady's balls indoors, but left Luck's balls out in the cold?

I have NO idea, If Luck's balls were at 14 PSI they would be at approximately 12.5 at 40 deg. I'm just surprised it's not more like baseball where the balls are under the control of the officials at all times.

I'm just hoping for a small asteroid to strike the stadium on game day so we don't have to deal with superbowl hype ever again.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I have NO idea, If Luck's balls were at 14 PSI they would be at approximately 12.5 at 40 deg. I'm just surprised it's not more like baseball where the balls are under the control of the officials at all times.

I'm just hoping for a small asteroid to strike the stadium on game day so we don't have to deal with superbowl hype ever again.
The bolded has been my question the whole time. The league has rules for everything. Who thought giving official game balls back to the teams was a good idea......unless the league new it was common practice to deflate them and didn't care.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The bolded has been my question the whole time. The league has rules for everything. Who thought giving official game balls back to the teams was a good idea......unless the league new it was common practice to deflate them and didn't care.

I suspect the latter and I also expect the powers that be had decided the Colts were 'supposed' to win which is why Deflategate became a thing.

Which is why I'm hoping for the asteroid strike as the NFL has become the ultimate corporate sport and I'd like to see it go away.

RSoxNo1

While I'm very confused by this being a topic on this forum, it sounds like 1 of two scenarios played out for Deflategate:
  1. The Patriots submitted game balls that were below 12.5 PSI, they were approved by the league and the continued to lose pressure due to the field temperature being 51 degrees at game time.
  2. An equipment manager for the Patriots removed PSI after the balls were approved by the league. There was evidently a 90 second window where the balls were in a bathroom with the equipment manager. This would have likely been when they pressure was reduced... either that, or the equipment manager took a leak.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I suspect the latter and I also expect the powers that be had decided the Colts were 'supposed' to win which is why Deflategate became a thing.

Which is why I'm hoping for the asteroid strike as the NFL has become the ultimate corporate sport and I'd like to see it go away.
The league thinks too highly of themselves. I mean radio stations can't even use the term Super Bowl because of copyright enforcement.

flyerjab

Let's think more aggressively in terms of the dragon. WDW could fly it over DA or WWOHP at UNI. The guests wouldn't think it strange as it is a dragon, a creature that exists in the lexicon of Rowling's mind. Allow it to mildly entertain as it slowly descends upon the park. You could then have it breath fire at both locations, setting the areas on fire. Afterwards, just quickly drive it back to @George's house and stuff it in his garage. This could solve multiple problems, depending on your point of view.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster

Game time temperature was 52 and I think the lowest temp measured during the game was 48.9. The temp in the locker rooms was 70. So, you're looking at 20 degree difference, if the balls were inflated inside. This would be a pressure change of 0.9 PSI. The Colts balls did not change pressure at all. This probably means they were inflated in the great outdoors.

I'm also surprised that more people didn't know football teams brought their own balls. When you watch an NFL or college game, you'll see the logo of the team on the ball and it is always the team on offense. Their ball. Plus, shenanigans with the balls is not new. People have tried things like filling them with helium because they thought their kicker could kick the ball farther.

While I'm very confused by this being a topic on this forum, it sounds like 1 of two scenarios played out for Deflategate:
  1. The Patriots submitted game balls that were below 12.5 PSI, they were approved by the league and the continued to lose pressure due to the field temperature being 51 degrees at game time.
  2. An equipment manager for the Patriots removed PSI after the balls were approved by the league. There was evidently a 90 second window where the balls were in a bathroom with the equipment manager. This would have likely been when they pressure was reduced... either that, or the equipment manager took a leak.

I actually wanted a specific, what improvements/changes would you make (if any) to the New Fantasy land thread, but I was derailed by getting too cutesy with the title. However, maybe this could become a spirited type thread with all kinds of random tangents. Maybe in two months half the board will hate me and the other half will love me. I actually question whether or not Fantasyland Expansion should get its own subsection since it stopped expanding a while ago.

Let's think more aggressively in terms of the dragon. WDW could fly it over DA or WWOHP at UNI. The guests wouldn't think it strange as it is a dragon, a creature that exists in the lexicon of Rowling's mind. Allow it to mildly entertain as it slowly descends upon the park. You could then have it breath fire at both locations, setting the areas on fire. Afterwards, just quickly drive it back to @George's house and stuff it in his garage. This could solve multiple problems, depending on your point of view.

I'd love me some garage dragon, but I suppose I'll have to make my own based on Martin's info.

flyerjab

Game time temperature was 52 and I think the lowest temp measured during the game was 48.9. The temp in the locker rooms was 70. So, you're looking at 20 degree difference, if the balls were inflated inside. This would be a pressure change of 0.9 PSI. The Colts balls did not change pressure at all. This probably means they were inflated in the great outdoors.

I'm also surprised that more people didn't know football teams brought their own balls. When you watch an NFL or college game, you'll see the logo of the team on the ball and it is always the team on offense. Their ball. Plus, shenanigans with the balls is not new. People have tried things like filling them with helium because they thought their kicker could kick the ball farther.

I actually wanted a specific, what improvements/changes would you make (if any) to the New Fantasy land thread, but I was derailed by getting too cutesy with the title. However, maybe this could become a spirited type thread with all kinds of random tangents. Maybe in two months half the board will hate me and the other half will love me. I actually question whether or not Fantasyland Expansion should get its own subsection since it stopped expanding a while ago.

I'd love me some garage dragon, but I suppose I'll have to make my own based on Martin's info.

Garage Dragon. Hmmm. That sounds like a good name for a band or a movie title of the "adult" variety.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom