NFL 2014 Off-Season Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
I wonder if they do tell them during the voting process that retired players aren't eligible. This year Tony Gonzalez and London Fletcher didn't make the list. Last year Ray Lewis didn't make the list.

To me all signs point toward it intended to be a list for the upcoming season. The only thing that points to the previous season are how the players performed last season, which would be understandable since players are just coming up with names from the top of their heads.

seahawk7

I wonder if they do tell them during the voting process that retired players aren't eligible. This year Tony Gonzalez and London Fletcher didn't make the list. Last year Ray Lewis didn't make the list.

To me all signs point toward it intended to be a list for the upcoming season. The only thing that points to the previous season are how the players performed last season, which would be understandable since players are just coming up with names from the top of their heads.
Yeah, if the analysts cannot even agree, who knows what season the list is depicting? Maybe even some players are voting for the upcoming season and others on the previous season. I'm just excited for football to come back. Less than 2 weeks till training camp!

seahawk7

So if you guys had the chance to see a preseason game would you go? It might sound like a stupid question but a lot of the starters might sit out a lot. Would be opportunity to check out the team's depth. Any thoughts?

PUSH

Original Poster
So if you guys had the chance to see a preseason game would you go? It might sound like a stupid question but a lot of the starters might sit out a lot. Would be opportunity to check out the team's depth. Any thoughts?
I've only ever been to a preseason NFL game. The tickets are soooo much cheaper, and I got great seats around the 40 or 45 yard line.

I loved the entire experience. The starters played a total of 2 drive I believe, but when they scored a touchdown there was that electric feeling of the crowd erupting around you and rising to their feet. Great moment there, and I also got chills when the fans at Lambeau Field booed the refs for not calling pass interference. We ended up getting blown out after the starters went out, but it was still a really cool experience.

Now if you are used to going to regular season games, preseason games would probably seem dull. But if you're like me and don't get to go to regular season games, I'd take the opportunity.

seahawk7

I've only ever been to a preseason NFL game. The tickets are soooo much cheaper, and I got great seats around the 40 or 45 yard line.

I loved the entire experience. The starters played a total of 2 drive I believe, but when they scored a touchdown there was that electric feeling of the crowd erupting around you and rising to their feet. Great moment there, and I also got chills when the fans at Lambeau Field booed the refs for not calling pass interference. We ended up getting blown out after the starters went out, but it was still a really cool experience.

Now if you are used to going to regular season games, preseason games would probably seem dull. But if you're like me and don't get to go to regular season games, I'd take the opportunity.
Yeah, I'm looking at seeing Seattle go to Denver since it might be the only chance we get to see Peyton Manning live. I'm a little nervous being a Seattle fan in that Denver crowd especially since last season they a little fan violence in their parking lot. But I would feel like a traitor if I didn't wear Seahawks .

flynnibus

Premium Member

It depends on which game you goto (starters playing more or less, etc). If you've never been to the facility or the games.. it's a nice intro. Season ticket holders hate the games because they are forced to buy into them at full prices... but for single purchases the sting isn't as bad.

seahawk7

Not to beat a dead horse, but I just saw Shaun and Bauldy's predictions for the top ten players for 2014. They talked about how the player did with the season that just finished while ALSO talking about how they will do in the upcoming season. For instance, they talked about Peyton Manning's stats from the season where he lost the SB to the Seahawks while talking about how his stats will lead his team back to be the winner of the AFC. So I think its the combination that we are seeing.

seahawk7

Regarding the Josh Gordon situation. Do you agree with Cris Carter's comment, stating that the Browns should release Gordon, like Buddy Ryan and the Eagles did to Carter when he was having off the field issues? If so how would this affect the Browns, and if you were another GM, would you take the risk of signing Josh Gordon via his release?

My opinion is that the Browns desperately need his WR help, but most likely won't have him for the year. They could keep him on the team, and try and help him, so he can play for them in the following year. On the other hand though, he can get released, and then get picked up by another team. With this he can get a fresh start, get off the field help, and hopefully be able to play in the next year for that team.

PUSH

Original Poster
Regarding the Josh Gordon situation. Do you agree with Cris Carter's comment, stating that the Browns should release Gordon, like Buddy Ryan and the Eagles did to Carter when he was having off the field issues? If so how would this affect the Browns, and if you were another GM, would you take the risk of signing Josh Gordon via his release?

My opinion is that the Browns desperately need his WR help, but most likely won't have him for the year. They could keep him on the team, and try and help him, so he can play for them in the following year. On the other hand though, he can get released, and then get picked up by another team. With this he can get a fresh start, get off the field help, and hopefully be able to play in the next year for that team.
It's easy for Cris Carter to say release him, because it worked for him. It doesn't work for every player, though. The Browns are in a tricky situation because Gordon is obviously a huge talent at WR, but if they don't punish him in any way they are sending the wrong message to their other players.

If the Browns did release him, I don't think he would have any problem finding another team eventually.

seahawk7

It's easy for Cris Carter to say release him, because it worked for him. It doesn't work for every player, though. The Browns are in a tricky situation because Gordon is obviously a huge talent at WR, but if they don't punish him in any way they are sending the wrong message to their other players.

If the Browns did release him, I don't think he would have any problem finding another team eventually.
If Josh Gordon hit the free market, who do you think would take a swat at him? I think a great fit would be the Patriots because: they need WR help, they have taken swats at troubled players before and have had success, and it would help Josh Gordon to be in a Bill Belichick infused winning environment.

PUSH

Original Poster
If Josh Gordon hit the free market, who do you think would take a swat at him? I think a great fit would be the Patriots because: they need WR help, they have taken swats at troubled players before and have had success, and it would help Josh Gordon to be in a Bill Belichick infused winning environment.
I don't know the salary cap situations for every team, but I would say the Patriots or Raiders would take a good look at him. The Patriots are at the end of their run with Tom Brady, and it's clear that they're trying to give him as much talent as possible before his window closes. The Raiders have just been spending a lot, and they have a need at WR outside of James Jones and Denarius Moore.

seahawk7

I don't know the salary cap situations for every team, but I would say the Patriots or Raiders would take a good look at him. The Patriots are at the end of their run with Tom Brady, and it's clear that they're trying to give him as much talent as possible before his window closes. The Raiders have just been spending a lot, and they have a need at WR outside of James Jones and Denarius Moore.
I don't know about the Raiders since they don't have the best history with supplemental draft picks (Terrelle Pryor) although I wouldn't be surprised to see him go there. I would like to see him in a Patriots uniform and I don't think they are having salary cap issues.

jw24

New England makes the most sense. Winning culture, a solid QB (Oakland has a never-ending QB carousel, remember?) and New England doesn't have that many receivers over 6 feet compared to Oakland.

seahawk7

I can't help but wonder if Cleveland is regretting not going for a WR in the draft. Some analysts said that they should have tried for one in the round where they picked Manziel then could have still gotten Manziel next pick. But hind site is 20/20. Thoughts? Now if Josh Gordon goes, are they in trouble? They have Hoyer and Manziel with no one to throw to? Ironic if their passing game takes a backseat to their running game.

PUSH

Original Poster
I can't help but wonder if Cleveland is regretting not going for a WR in the draft. Some analysts said that they should have tried for one in the round where they picked Manziel then could have still gotten Manziel next pick. But hind site is 20/20. Thoughts? Now if Josh Gordon goes, are they in trouble? They have Hoyer and Manziel with no one to throw to? Ironic if their passing game takes a backseat to their running game.
The Browns have Miles Austin, Travis Benjamin and Jordan Cameron to throw to. So they have so okay targets, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in another WR. Possibly taking a swing at Santonio Holmes? I think their offense will take a step back this year if they don't have Gordon, but I think they are positioned well for a year or two from now if they can add a few more pieces to the offense. I'm one of the people who thinks Manziel will be a bust, but I think Hoyer can be a decent player.

PUSH

Original Poster
I just saw this on Twitter, and if there is something to figure out... I don't get it. The NFL posted this picture:

BsSrb6wIgAAsuYx.jpg

Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan... with the Patriots and Broncos logos... wouldn't it be John Fox instead of Ryan? Or at least the Jets logo instead of the Broncos? Or is there something here I'm completely missing? :confused:

seahawk7

The Browns have Miles Austin, Travis Benjamin and Jordan Cameron to throw to. So they have so okay targets, but I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in another WR. Possibly taking a swing at Santonio Holmes? I think their offense will take a step back this year if they don't have Gordon, but I think they are positioned well for a year or two from now if they can add a few more pieces to the offense. I'm one of the people who thinks Manziel will be a bust, but I think Hoyer can be a decent player.
Yea I agree about Manziel. I like Hoyer, he seems more substantial.

seahawk7

@PUSH said "I think their offense will take a step back this year if they don't have Gordon, but I think they are positioned well for a year or two from now"
Sounds like their basketball team. Sorry, I'm really bad with editing quotes.:bored:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom