NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
Some other thoughts:

The halftime show wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. It actually enjoyed it a little bit. Bruno Mars was better, though.

Tom Brady was the MVP? After throwing two picks? I would have given it to Edelman.

PUSH

Original Poster
Also, the commercials just keep going downhill every year. They were so depressing this year... and I only laughed at the Breaking Bad one during the game. I laughed at the Kickstart one with the dancing dog during the pregame stuff.

jw24

The game was great. The ads were poor. The only one I enjoyed was the Flying Pig one from Doritos!

But man, why the heck did the Seahawks not run the football with Lynch? I mean, he's the best RB out there and you had options. If you were going to throw it, throw it to Matthews with his 6'5" height or Baldwin. Don't throw it Lockette of all people! I wouldn't be surprised if Lynch does not re-sign with the Seahawks after that incident because to me, when you're considered one of the elite backs in the game and you're in situation where your services are the best option out there, when you've scored in big moments in the past and not even considered for the next time, it's a lack of trust and devaluing your capabilities in crunch time. And to add salt to the wound, the fact that on the first play of the drive, Lynch caught a 30 yard pass to further suggest he could be trusted and he wasn't in the goal-line situation late in the game. Seattle gave it away and now Malcolm Butler will probably be the Mike Jones of this decade. (That's the St. Louis Rams guy who famously tackled Kevin Dyson of the Titans short of the goal line in Super Bowl 34 in 2000.)

HakunaMatata89

im sure the controversy this week will be that we paid Carrol to make that play call.

tvddXaB.png

flynnibus

Premium Member
Doritos guy on the plane with the hot mom was funny...

Having Heisenberg say "say my name" was the best moment of any of the ads I saw.

The miracle catch was just so primed to take down the patriots in another stunner... only to have Seattle blow it. I mean... Butler played his tail off on both of those plays, on defending the miracle catch and on the INT. The play for the INT was just beautiful... showing people the part of the game so many overlook - the game plan prep these guys go through to recognize plays, routes, etc. The undrafted rookie saves the superbowl... it's just a fairytale ending.

I'm glad the pats won.. maybe all the 'they've not done anything since spygate' crap will finally disappear. They've been a dynasty like the league hasn't seen since the 49ers and the steelers before them. Just consistency over and over and over. Even if they hadn't gotten it done in the end... they've been able to do it for so long with so many different twists. Love 'em or hate 'em... Belichick can get a team ready to win so many different ways.

squidward

Some other thoughts:

The halftime show wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it'd be. It actually enjoyed it a little bit. Bruno Mars was better, though.

Tom Brady was the MVP? After throwing two picks? I would have given it to Edelman.

He also had 4 TD's, more completions than any other QB in any SB. The last 2 drives he was perfect. But yeah, a case for Edelman could certainly be made.

Lucky

im sure the controversy this week will be that we paid Carrol to make that play call.
It didn't work out but I'm not sure the call was as bad as everyone is saying. I heard Lynch carried 5 times this season from the 1-yard line and only gained that yard once, and twice was thrown back for a loss. And N.E.was defending against a run.

Even if Lynch had scored, they wouldn't necessarily have won. He probably would have grabbed his crotch again and gotten a 15-yard penalty, putting Brady in good field position to drive for a FG (assuming Seattle wouldn't have gone for 2 and made it).

squidward

Classless and selfish. Who does this in the Super Bowl knowing it'll cost your team 15 yards?
View attachment 81081

I honestly don't see how anyone can like (or respect) that team. I'm a Pats fan, but if they did stuff like that, I sure as heck wouldn't be. And then Irvin punching (repeatedly) Gronk at the end of the game. He's gonna be looking at big time fines and probably suspension for a few games next season.

But you know, I blame Carroll for that. He lets them get away with acting like that. If that were Belichick, he'd bench them, regardless of who they are.

PUSH

Original Poster
Classless and selfish. Who does this in the Super Bowl knowing it'll cost your team 15 yards?
View attachment 81081
When Sherman called out Revis for giving up the TD, it just deepened my hatred for him. You can say he's an intelligent Stanford graduate all you want, but being smart doesn't make you a classy guy. Plus, the official stopped Revis from making a play. Otherwise Revis could have potentially picked Wilson off.

PUSH

Original Poster
I honestly don't see how anyone can like (or respect) that team. I'm a Pats fan, but if they did stuff like that, I sure as heck wouldn't be. And then Irvin punching (repeatedly) Gronk at the end of the game. He's gonna be looking at big time fines and probably suspension for a few games next season.

But you know, I blame Carroll for that. He lets them get away with acting like that. If that were Belichick, he'd bench them, regardless of who they are.
I have a friend who's a Bears fan who loves the Seahawks. He says it's because of Russell Wilson since we are both Wisconsin fans, but I know it's just because they beat the Packers. He was the same way with the 49ers.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Some other thoughts:

Really, I could watch most of that halftime show on mute over and over again! ;);)

Flower'sChild

People keep saying Seattle had the game won and all they had to do was run the ball. However even if Seattle would have run the ball there's still no guarantee that they would've won.

I understand that Marshawn Lynch is one of the best running backs in the NFL right now. I also understand that it's a very good chance that Seattle would have won the game if they had given the ball to Marshawn Lynch.

However anything could've happened. The Patriots defense could've forced a fumble had Seattle run the ball. The Patriots defense could have knocked Marshawn Lynch for a 2 or 3 yard loss. I'm not saying that this is what would've happened. I'm just saying that this is what could've happened. There are so many things that could've happened had Seattle run the ball.

Now I can understand why some people would say that Seattle probably would've won had they run the ball. However I don't understand why people would say that there is no way that the Patriots defense would have stopped Seattle if Seattle would have run the ball.

Even if there was a 99% chance that Seattle would've won the game had they run the ball that is still not a for sure guarantee that they would've won the game. A 99% chance of something happening is not the same thing as a 100% chance of something happening. Also I don't think there was a 99% chance that Seattle was going to win the game even if they did run the ball.

John

Look I have no dog in this race, I am a unabashed Ravens fan so I will make that clear first. I am not going to defend the Seahawks for the way they handled themselves after the game. But for those Patriot fans calling them classless is a little hypocritical. You think "cheating" is classless? There will be fines that will come down from the NFL. The Super Bowl champs will now be fined for....well cheating.

Now the for the Seattle call on that last play....STUPID period. The Patriots were resolved that they were going to lose. They never called a timeout. The Seahawks "over thought" the play. They had three downs to do it. 99% chance of winning? I would take that everyday.

flynnibus

Premium Member
People keep saying Seattle had the game won and all they had to do was run the ball. However even if Seattle would have run the ball there's still no guarantee that they would've won.

I understand that Marshawn Lynch is one of the best running backs in the NFL right now. I also understand that it's a very good chance that Seattle would have won the game if they had given the ball to Marshawn Lynch.

However anything could've happened. The Patriots defense could've forced a fumble had Seattle run the ball. The Patriots defense could have knocked Marshawn Lynch for a 2 or 3 yard loss. I'm not saying that this is what would've happened. I'm just saying that this is what could've happened. There are so many things that could've happened had Seattle run the ball.

Now I can understand why some people would say that Seattle probably would've won had they run the ball. However I don't understand why people would say that there is no way that the Patriots defense would have stopped Seattle if Seattle would have run the ball.

Even if there was a 99% chance that Seattle would've won the game had they run the ball that is still not a for sure guarantee that they would've won the game. A 99% chance of something happening is not the same thing as a 100% chance of something happening. Also I don't think there was a 99% chance that Seattle was going to win the game even if they did run the ball.

Because of probabilities - thAts why.

Throwing is more risky than carrying
Gaining a half yard in three plays is incredibly high probability
The team involved includes the most dominating back in the game

Nothing is done until its history but people talk so confidently because the probabilities favor it so strongly

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom