NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
The Packers have extended GM Ted Thompson's contract. He is entering his 10th season as Green Bay's GM. Now the Packers can focus on extending HC Mike McCarthy's contract, since the way the Packers do it is GM first, head coach second.

jw24

Geez. The whole state of Texas has been in the NFL news. The Cowboys paid a huge contract for Tyron Smith. $98 million extension, $40 million guaranteed! And Mark Davis, the Raiders owner, brought the possible rumor of the Raiders moving to San Antonio. The Raiders are in a tight pickle. One final year on their current lease of their stadium, which is a huge dump and one of the most poorly constructed stadiums I've ever seen. The A's extended their lease for baseball and with the 49ers getting a new stadium, the Raiders will certainly want a place all to themselves. I don't think San Antonio is entirely the best choice. Big city, but small media market and I'm sure Jerry Jones will do everything in his power to prevent the move to San Antonio. LA? Well, possibly but all the futuristic LA NFL stadiums are just proposals.If the Raiders were to go to LA, would the LA Coliseum or Rose Bowl be adequate to NFL standards for however long it takes and of course, given the poor track record of the NFL in LA, would it be worth it? As you can see by this post, a lot more questions than answers!

seahawk7

Marshawn Lynch is expected to report back within the next 24 hours. He has accrued over 200,000+ in fines for his holdout.

Update: He reported back today and the fines were upwards of $400,000. He did't get any new money but thats because the Seahawk organization didn't want to set a precedent and have other players follow suit. My guess is they will work with him privately. Good to have him back.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
I thought it was impressive.

These guys throw into a basket 30 yards down field at a target running at full speed while they themselves are moving while 3 to 5 250+lb guys are trying to kill him.. all within 3-7 seconds. A slow moving frisbee just dropping 8ft or so sounds like a walk in the park compared to the accuracy they need in a game :)

seahawk7

These guys throw into a basket 30 yards down field at a target running at full speed while they themselves are moving while 3 to 5 250+lb guys are trying to kill him.. all within 3-7 seconds. A slow moving frisbee just dropping 8ft or so sounds like a walk in the park compared to the accuracy they need in a game :)
I don't think it was for training as much as it was to entertain the fans. I bet the children liked it. I think it's impressive because I can't do it.

king county beast15

I think the Cleveland QB battle will be the most interesting. And I'm with you, I feel Brian Hoyer will beat out Manziel to start the season for Cleveland. The problem lies with the fact that Cleveland isn't really that good right now so my gut tells me by the middle of the season the fans will be screaming for Manziel and the coach will relent and give into the pressure of starting him over Hoyer. I also think the same scenario will work out in Oakland were Carr is the fan favorite but will be on the bench when the season starts but will find his way to the starting roll after Oakland starts losing. As for the other two QB competitions you mentioned, I think Bridgewater will start and I also think Smith will start for NYJ.
I agree that both Manziel and Carr will start by the end of the season , especially in Cleveland. Hoyer is going to have a hard up hill climb in the beginning of the season. Steelers, Saints, and then the Ravens!! Yikes!

NYwdwfan

I don't think it was for training as much as it was to entertain the fans. I bet the children liked it. I think it's impressive because I can't do it.

It's cool to see everything else stripped away and just isolate the hand/eye coordination. I couldn't do it either.

PUSH

Original Poster
I know people probably don't care as much as I do, but Packers rookie WR Jared Abbredaris "probably" has a torn ACL. If this is the case, it's awful news for Packers fans. Being really the only hometown guy we have (be played for Wisconsin), he was already a fan favorite. He was also likely to be out punt returner. Hope it's not true.

PUSH

Original Poster
Looks like passing the ball is going to be even easier this year. Officials are visiting training camps to help straighten out the new emphasis on pass interference. Any grey area will be flagged, including any little snag of the jersey and any contact beyond 5 yards. In Packers training camp, well over 50% of the snaps have been flagged.

Here you go, Mr. Manning.

seahawk7

Looks like passing the ball is going to be even easier this year. Officials are visiting training camps to help straighten out the new emphasis on pass interference. Any grey area will be flagged, including any little snag of the jersey and any contact beyond 5 yards. In Packers training camp, well over 50% of the snaps have been flagged.

Here you go, Mr. Manning.
Yes this new emphasis is unfortunate. It's not only helping passing quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford, but it's also hurting physical defenses like Seattle and San Francisco.

PUSH

Original Poster
Yes this new emphasis is unfortunate. It's not only helping passing quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford, but it's also hurting physical defenses like Seattle and San Francisco.
I think the NFL is just trying to make it more of an offensive game. I think one of the reasons was they didn't like it how a softer team like the Broncos got destroyed in the Super Bowl. The NFL wants to become more of a shootout league because that's what the average, casual fan likes to see. I think it's ridiculous how easily records are broken these days in the passing game.

seahawk7

I think the NFL is just trying to make it more of an offensive game. I think one of the reasons was they didn't like it how a softer team like the Broncos got destroyed in the Super Bowl. The NFL wants to become more of a shootout league because that's what the average, casual fan likes to see. I think it's ridiculous how easily records are broken these days in the passing game.
So, do you think it's a good thing? I think teams should try to get stronger I mean this is professional sports. I can't help but think back to the Super Bowl where Cam Chancellor kept tackling the Bronco receivers and it was all legal.

PUSH

Original Poster
So, do you think it's a good thing? I think teams should try to get stronger I mean this is professional sports. I can't help but think back to the Super Bowl where Cam Chancellor kept tackling the Bronco receivers and it was all legal.
I personally think they're getting too strict with rules. At the rate they're going they'll end up banning defense.

acishere

I personally think they're getting too strict with rules. At the rate they're going they'll end up banning defense.
I think they just going to abandon football altogether and switch to playing sarcastaball instead.
southpark-sarcastiaball.jpg

Hrudey3032

Ok I will jump in and say as some of you know I am a die hard Colts fan. With that said we have already had to IR 3 potential starters/top backups. Donald Thomas starting RG tore same quad he tore in 2nd week of season. RB Vick Ballard was hurt in a non contact drill and tore his Achilles. Ballard missed all of last season after tearing his ACL on 1st day of training camp. 3rd injury is Filli Moala. He has been a very dependable backup since we signed him but after this injury I think his Colts days may be over. Reggie Wayne is back and so far looking great but hope he doesn't push it to hard and get hurt again. We need him! Finally the OL which was a disaster last year is going to be real young on the interior this season. The new C Khaled Holmes has played 12 plays in his career after being a 4th round pick out of USC last season,the new RG is Jack Mewhort out of Ohio State in the 2nd round this year and the other G is Hugh Thornton who returns for his second season after being a 2nd round pick out of Illinois last season.Thornton played most of the season for Thomas when he was hurt and seemed shell shocked and has even admitted that he was not ready for the level of competition. Hope they gel and play better than last year when poor Luck had tro run for his life often!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom