NFL 2014 Discussion Thread

PUSH

Original Poster
So who do you think has good commentators. I'm not being antagonistic, I really want to know because maybe I'm missing out on something.
I actually like Troy Aikman and Joe Buck. A lot of Packers fans think Aikman is biased against the Packers, but he says just as many, if not more, good things about Green Bay than bad things. I also like Al Michaels; he's probably my favorite.

OSUgirl77

I actually like Troy Aikman and Joe Buck. A lot of Packers fans think Aikman is biased against the Packers, but he says just as many, if not more, good things about Green Bay than bad things. I also like Al Michaels; he's probably my favorite.
Al Michaels is definitely my favorite. Collinsworth, however, is terrible. I actually don't mind Tirico and Gruden that much, which is amazing since they are from ESPN.

PUSH

Original Poster
Al Michaels is definitely my favorite. Collinsworth, however, is terrible. I actually don't mind Tirico and Gruden that much, which is amazing since they are from ESPN.
I like Gruden. What annoys me the most is when the commentators use "We" when talking about their former teams. Nothing ruins their credibility more than that. Once you decide to join the media, you have to leave your player mentality behind.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I like Gruden. What annoys me the most is when the commentators use "We" when talking about their former teams. Nothing ruins their credibility more than that. Once you decide to join the media, you have to leave your player mentality behind.

?? The people are no longer past players or part of a family that is a team once they put on a mic?

Loosen up man.. them getting a second career does not change anything they did in the past or their knowledge they had accumulated.

PUSH

Original Poster
?? The people are no longer past players or part of a family that is a team once they put on a mic?

Loosen up man.. them getting a second career does not change anything they did in the past or their knowledge they had accumulated.
It shows automatic bias towards the team they used to play for. You have to view things objectively. Don't you think someone who uses "we" in an analysis might be one-sided? At some point you have to stop being a player and become a member of the media.

PUSH

Original Poster
Brian Walters has cleared waivers. Come on Seahawks lets put him on the practice squad.
The Packers had several people pass waivers who I was shocked to see not get picked up. Specifically safety Chris Banjo. He made our team as an UDFA last year, and he performed pretty well. He had a very good camp and preseason. I was surprised to see him cut, actually.

seahawk7

The Packers had several people pass waivers who I was shocked to see not get picked up. Specifically safety Chris Banjo. He made our team as an UDFA last year, and he performed pretty well. He had a very good camp and preseason. I was surprised to see him cut, actually.
Did you guys have too much depth in his position? What am I thinking? There is never that much depth at safety. Yea that is surprising. For us, Bryan Walters fell victim to the numbers game. We have a lot of WR depth.

Last edited:

seahawk7

I agree with both you and @PUSH. While an analyst or host should remain objective when commenting on football or any, I think that former players can do just that while also bringing in some expertise that can prove beneficial to the overall discussion.
I watch NFL Network particularly NFL Total Access. I appreciate Heath Evans (Seattle Seahawks, New Orleans Saints, Miami Dolphins, and New England Patriots), Eric Davis (San Fransisco 49ers, Carolina Panthers, Denver Broncos, and Detriot Lions), Willie McGinest ( Cleveland Browns and New England Patriots), Shaun O'Hara ( Cleveland Browns and New York Giants), and Deion Sanders ( Atlanta Falcons, San Fransisco 49ers, Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, and Baltimore Ravens).
I think these guys are fair analysts. If you see how many teams they each played for, I think its fair to say that being former players has not made them partial to one team but has given them rare insight to what it takes to play in the NFL.
I did however really appreciate Heath Evans being one of the few who believed in the Seattle Seahawks ability to beat the Denver Broncos in the Super Bowl. He probably was the only one being objective while everyone was on the Peyton Manning wagon. Everyone's main reason for the Broncos to beat the Seahawks was: they have Peyton Manning.

Last edited:

PUSH

Original Poster
Did you guys have too much depth in his position?
We decided to keep four safeties. I think we're deep with Morgan Burnett and Micah Hyde as starters, and then Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Sean Richardson as backups. But they cut him over CB Demitri Goodson who we drafted in the 6th round. I guess he's a project player with good potential, but he didn't really show anything in camp or the preseason. But our GM loves his draft picks.

PUSH

Original Poster
The Chiefs are finishing a contract extension with QB Alex Smith. The deal is around $17 million per year, with $45 million guaranteed.

seahawk7

Michael Sam cleared waivers but hasn't been picked up. I hearing one reason is he doesn't do special teams and that at his position, he has to in order to be a quality acquisition.

seahawk7

We decided to keep four safeties. I think we're deep with Morgan Burnett and Micah Hyde as starters, and then Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and Sean Richardson as backups. But they cut him over CB Demitri Goodson who we drafted in the 6th round. I guess he's a project player with good potential, but he didn't really show anything in camp or the preseason. But our GM loves his draft picks.
Yea four safeties is good. So it was a numbers thing. Frustrating.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It shows automatic bias towards the team they used to play for. You have to view things objectively. Don't you think someone who uses "we" in an analysis might be one-sided? At some point you have to stop being a player and become a member of the media.

You can still be objective without being a emotionless drone.

Someone with no personal history or involvement comes off far more detached to me.

PUSH

Original Poster
You can still be objective without being a emotionless drone.

Someone with no personal history or involvement comes off far more detached to me.
I never said anything about emotionless drones, so I don't know where that came from.

You can use your experience as a player to enhance your analysis, but once you say "we" when describing your own team, as if you are one of them, it comes off as biased. If you apply your experience in a generic manner that could be applied to every team in the league, then it isn't biased.

I'm okay if a former player or coach says "we" when referring to the actual teams they were part of, just not the team in general. For example, if Jon Gruden said "In 2002, we did this to get to the Super Bowl", then I would be okay with it. But if he was covering a Buccaneers game today and he said "We have to run the ball more", then it would come off as a one-sided analysis, and it instantly loses credibility for me.

OSUgirl77

I never said anything about emotionless drones, so I don't know where that came from.

You can use your experience as a player to enhance your analysis, but once you say "we" when describing your own team, as if you are one of them, it comes off as biased. If you apply your experience in a generic manner that could be applied to every team in the league, then it isn't biased.

I'm okay if a former player or coach says "we" when referring to the actual teams they were part of, just not the team in general. For example, if Jon Gruden said "In 2002, we did this to get to the Super Bowl", then I would be okay with it. But if he was covering a Buccaneers game today and he said "We have to run the ball more", then it would come off as a one-sided analysis, and it instantly loses credibility for me.
I agree to an extent, but I think it's hard to just turn that off when you leave a team, especially one you've been a part of for long time. I think it can be blamed more on habit than actual bias in most cases.

PUSH

Original Poster
I agree to an extent, but I think it's hard to just turn that off when you leave a team, especially one you've been a part of for long time. I think it can be blamed more on habit than actual bias in most cases.
A lot of people can't flip that switch. I think Troy Aikman is one of the few who has done it well.

PUSH

Original Poster
Apparently Michael Sam will not make the Rams practice squad as Jeff Fisher has said they need practice help at other positions due to injury concerns.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom