Next-Gen queue testing at the Haunted Mansion

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
I was there yesterday and they couldn't have picked a worse day. Crowds were light so everybody was blasting past it. My wife and I are avid HM fans and it didn't even spark our interest. The thing just looked out of place there and no one knew what to do with it. A bunch of execs/imagineers were standing around on the back side of the cue watching. Just a bad spot in line to linger and figure out what it was. For a 6'5" guy like myself, I'm not bending over to listen to a whispering wall while people push past me to get into HM. Poorly executed all around.

DisneyLeo18

Kind of sad that people today need something like this to get through the lines. They can't just sit back and enjoy the amazing Disney theming.

As great as it is, I don't see anything wrong with enhancing the theming by adding interactive things on your way to the ride. I think the games on the SM queue are a great idea. When you are walking through a dark hallway for 40 minutes there's nothing wrong with something to do in the mean time.

BrerFrog

Kind of sad that people today need something like this to get through the lines. They can't just sit back and enjoy the amazing Disney theming.

While the theming is, most of the times, better than fantastic I assume many people on these boards will say they have been bored while waiting in a long line (hence the reason why FPs are so popular). So I don't see what is wrong with adding something extra to the queues. :)

Animaniac93-98

I would be annoyed if the graveyard was significantly modified to accommodate an interactive element. The tombstone writings and Leota already amuse the average guest. Plus the location is so close to the entrance doors themselves why would those way back in the line (or in the Keelboat overflow area) notice or care? Or even have enough time to solve a riddle for example?

Poor attraction choice for such an idea IMO.

If you're going to so some sort of puzzle/clue giving game, than points need to be spread out throughout the queue and not in one place where traffic flow will be affected.

imagineer boy

I'm still trying to figure out why out of all the attractions they could've chosen to do this, why HM? The lines usually are not that long due to high capacity of the stretch rooms.

Why not test this on somthing like Peter Pan? Now there's a ride that desperately needs somthing like this.

Figment632

I'm still trying to figure out why out of all the attractions they could've chosen to do this, why HM? The lines usually are not that long due to high capacity of the stretch rooms.

Why not test this on somthing like Peter Pan? Now there's a ride that desperately needs somthing like this.

Agreed or it just needs to loose FP!!!

BrerFrog

I think there isn't a lot of flexibility on PP's queue to test something like this. They seem to be testing those new features on queues that have some free space: first on RnRC, now on HM.

If they were to put something like this on the PP queue it would be ten times more chaotic than it already is.

Animaniac93-98

If they were to put something like this on the PP queue it would be ten times more chaotic than it already is.

Agreed. Peter Pan is essentially a series of winding switchbacks without much room to move or put anything. Interactivity wouldn't help.

For Peter Pan they could do one of the following:

- ditch FP (not likely)
- Add capacity to the boats (widening rows or adding extra ones)
- Speed up the rate at which the boats move thorough the queue to be on par with regular omnimovers (could cause safety concerns)

Some attractions where interactivity could work are Pirates and Jungle Cruise. It could be incorporated into the existing decor/space for them.

rct247

I also got to experience this yesterday. I was so confused. I saw the additions and I saw WDI standing in the corner so I knew something was being tested, but like it was stated previously above, yesterday was such a light day for crowds. Longest I waited all day was 20 mins for Jungle Cruise. Splash, Space, and Thunder even had shorter waits when I rode. So when it came time for Haunted Mansion, i barely had enough time to snap a photo or two of the additions. I had to look at the photos later to read them. Even then, I still had no clue what to do or why it was there. "The Dread Family" seemed to have no tie-in with Master Gracey.

The Next-Gen test at RnRC worked so well there, in my opinion, but you could tell this one wasn't working as well. No one that I saw was interacting with it, just looking at it confused as they pushed past.

Exprcoofto

Talked to a guy named Eric fom WDI at Haunted Mansion. About 5 or 6 imagineers were there taking feedback. He said they were having issue getting people interested in it. I didn't chat with him long as he sent us along in the queue. They added a new sign for clarification, but they also removed his treasure since the story now is to just figure out who killed who.

jeffk410

ahh im so confused at what it is suppose to do?
Just sort of like the new SM interactions? and like Soarin?

What ever happended to the new way of waiting in line that they tested for RnRC?

raven

Blame technology for that. People under 30 can't seem to be entertained for long without their cell phones, MP3 players and portable video games. Disney is just trying to keep their attention by competing with those items.

Poor attraction choice for such an idea IMO.

I'm still trying to figure out why out of all the attractions they could've chosen to do this, why HM?.

There are many attractions that this will be implimented for. IASW, Pooh, BTMRR, POTC, JC are just a few in MK that will be getting this treatment. HM is being used for a test right now and that's why it's so crudely put together. Space Mountain already has the games which was part of the plan. Pooh's is being installed right now.

Figment632

Blame technology for that. People under 30 can't seem to be entertained for long without their cell phones, MP3 players and portable video games. Disney is just trying to keep their attention by competing with those items.

There are many attractions that this will be implimented for. IASW, Pooh, BTMRR, POTC, JC are just a few in MK that will be getting this treatment. HM is being used for a test right now and that's why it's so crudely put together. Space Mountain already has the games which was part of the plan. Pooh's is being installed right now.

I am under 30 and don't fall into that group but I am a Disney Freak so who knows. Ad long as it doesn't slow up the lines at all I don't mind it but TDO should try to mantain their attractions in good working order like in DL before they add to them IMO.

BrerFrog

What was the RNRC test? Can someone post a link to that thread please?

I can't find the thread now, but if I am not mistaken and remember it correctly they, blocked the entrance to the actual queue and made guests wait on a restricted area on that big open space by the guitar. While they waited guests would take part on a bunch of activities waiting for their number, or whatever it was, to be called.

I think that was it. :veryconfu

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I can't find the thread now, but if I am not mistaken and remember it correctly they, blocked the entrance to the actual queue and made guests wait on a restricted area on that big open space by the guitar. While they waited guests would take part on a bunch of activities waiting for their number, or whatever it was, to be called.

I remember that description as well, but can't recall the thread it was in....

olmec26

Yep, that was it.

And the CMs manning the entrance were very strict about who they let in too. For instance, they wouldn't let me in to go look for something in Rock Around the Shop, even when I told them that's all I was going to do.

TinkerBelle8878

I'm kind of with the idea of putting it on Peter Pan, but understand that with the way that line works, it wouldn't really be possible. This and Toy Story are the two rides that I know of that Fast Pass hurts rather than helps. I always remember Pan having a long line, my entire life, but again FP makes it worse.

Saying that, if it can't be used for Pan, I think they should try this out on Toy Story in DHS. Get rid of Fast Pass, which backs that line up for most of the long wait, and put in this interactive stuff. It should pass the dimisnished wait time and make it at least not as awful.

Although, that one line (Toy Story) has to be the most convuluted and claustrophobia inducing lines I've ever been on. Upstairs, downstairs, wedged with no space (at one particular point when I though I was going to pass out), and then a slew of people with FPs for earlier that morning breeze past. I been to WDW enough in my life to know that there are going to be waits. But to know the 90 minute wait is because of the FP? It seems extremely counter productive.

olmec26

Saying that, if it can't be used for Pan, I think they should try this out on Toy Story in DHS. Get rid of Fast Pass, which backs that line up for most of the long wait, and put in this interactive stuff. It should pass the dimisnished wait time and make it at least not as awful.

Technically, Potato Head is interactive, but I know what you're going after.

Nevertheless, where in the queue would they put anything else? They've filled that room with anything and everything, it seems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom