Newbies to Orlando Choose These Parks...

EPCOTCenterLover

Original Poster
A family of four that are friends of mine (father, mother, daughter 20, son 17), departed for a first time trip to Orlando this morning. They have five days total for the parks. Their choices? One day at Epcot and the rest at Universal Orlando. Seems to me Harry Potter is making his mark on how families visit Orlando now.

draybook

I guess they showed their Universal Side.......ba dum dum sha!!
sheldon-laugh-o_zps8fdc9398.gif

Last edited:

CDavid

I find this interesting as well. Specifically, the choice of Epcot as the sole Disney park to visit. In its heyday Epcot should have won this age group hands-down, but today I'd expect most guests on one-day tickets to opt for the Magic Kingdom. The MK has a (somewhat mistaken) reputation problem in that people can see it as more a "kiddie-park" (or at least a park which appeals more to children) than for all ages, but this suggests that problem is far worse than I'd realized.

Glasgow

I think it's a completely valid and intriguing statement (from the OP). While I love going to WDW, I've really started thinking about how we spend our vacation money now over the past two years. We visited UNI last year and really enjoyed it .. The cost savings vs WDW is real, but that's due to the reduction in content of course .. there still isn't enough content for little kids I have to say. We couldn't go every year or even every other year for that matter. Interesting topic nonetheless.

Brian Noble

With that age group, Universal is likely to be quite a bit more appealing. I know my kids (15 and 13) are already at a point where they'd really rather do Universal for the better thrill rides, though if we put in plenty of water park time, Disney is still okay.

JimboJones123

I find this interesting as well. Specifically, the choice of Epcot as the sole Disney park to visit. In its heyday Epcot should have won this age group hands-down, but today I'd expect most guests on one-day tickets to opt for the Magic Kingdom. The MK has a (somewhat mistaken) reputation problem in that people can see it as more a "kiddie-park" (or at least a park which appeals more to children) than for all ages, but this suggests that problem is far worse than I'd realized.
This. And this is troubling on many levels.

Dragonrider1227

Kinda surprised they didn't choose Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Star Tours, that place was gift wrapped for their age group. Maybe they don't like Aerosmith and Star Wars :p But I wonder what they plan to do in Epcot. Ride Test Track and Soarin' over and over? The only other thing I can image they'd want to do is World Showcase since that's the best part of Epcot in my opinion

jlsHouston

My grandkids are young still but already they gravitate towards the dark rides and thrill rides....won't be a couple more years I will be enjoying a Loews Luxury resort while they do the UNI parks...my thinking is though..we can stay occupied for 14 days onsite at a WDW property without boredom sitting in...I met some people over this past Thanksgiving that had started their holiday at UNI. They had booked 3 days at UNI and 4 days at WDW. Told me after the first 2 days the parks were so quiet at UNI they had pretty much done and seen it all and ready to head to WDW...
Do people ever make that statement about WDW ?

jlsHouston

Kinda surprised they didn't choose Hollywood Studios. Tower of Terror, Rockin' Rollercoaster, Star Tours, that place was gift wrapped for their age group. Maybe they don't like Aerosmith and Star Wars :p But I wonder what they plan to do in Epcot. Ride Test Track and Soarin' over and over? The only other thing I can image they'd want to do is World Showcase since that's the best part of Epcot in my opinion

uh....yah those were my repeat rides last visit....well that and TSMM....

LucyK

There's A LOT of stuff to do at Universal including Citywalk. It's shame they'll get a lot of construction going on but they'll still have a great time.

With the new Diagon Alley opening in June waiting times will be astronomical till the end of the year I'm sure. I have 4 days planned for Universal alone for our next trip because I know I'll want to repeat WWoHP 2.0 at least three different times.

HouCuseChickie

It doesn't surprise me that MK is not on their list. I have a coworker who went to Orlando last year...they spent a day at Sea World, nearly every other day at Uni, but devoted one day to MK- but it was only for their youngest. Their older children stayed behind and went shopping while they took their 4 year old because they felt MK was only suitable for the pre-school set.

Disneyhead'71

My grandkids are young still but already they gravitate towards the dark rides and thrill rides....won't be a couple more years I will be enjoying a Loews Luxury resort while they do the UNI parks...my thinking is though..we can stay occupied for 14 days onsite at a WDW property without boredom sitting in...I met some people over this past Thanksgiving that had started their holiday at UNI. They had booked 3 days at UNI and 4 days at WDW. Told me after the first 2 days the parks were so quiet at UNI they had pretty much done and seen it all and ready to head to WDW...
Do people ever make that statement about WDW ?
I know that I can do everything I want to do at both DAK and DHS and still be ready to head home by 3pm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom