Newbie question - dining without a meal plan

Jackiep9

Original Poster
We've been to Disney World one other time and we stayed on the property and used a meal plan. Now we're starting to plan our next trip in January of 2018 and we're staying at Shades of Green and not using a meal plan. We'll eat breakfast at Shades of Green each day, but I'd like to set up either a lunch or dinner for each of the four days we'll be there. Since we paid for the meal plan last time and then didn't think about cost at all, I'm really curious how much these restaurants cost if you're paying per meal. Any advice about this - where to find pricing and which restaurants are the best value for your money?

I have two boys, ages 8 and 5, and we'll have 4 adults total. I know we can walk to the Polynesian from SofG - is dinner there good?

Thanks from a very inexperienced Disney-goer!

DisneyNomad

Kona Cafe is normally very good and Ohana is great, if a little pricey.

Explore menus and pricing as there are a lot of good options and if you pre-plan, you can still get a good meal at a good price some place expensive.

Oh, and breakfast buffet at the Wave is relatively cheap (for a Disney Buffet) and is excellent if you don't want the same place for breakfast each day.

JIMINYCR

We always check out the menu/price sites before our trips. Not only does it give you an idea of costs but it will help you decide which restaurants suite you most and let you have a better idea in advance of what meal items you might want to try out. By pricing your meals in advance you may find it easier to budget for the trip and you may save more paying out of pocket than purchasing the DDP.... as long as you can avoid temptation and avoid adding on lots of extras.

Phonedave

First off, very little at WDW is going to be worth the cost if you compare it to the outside world, and nothing is going to be cheap.

The good news is, that unless y9u are the type of family that eats the most expensive item on the menu, and eats a counter service, table service, and snack every day, you will save money by not being on the meal plan

As as pricing is concerened, buffets and "all you care to enjoy" places are going to cost more. If your family eats lightly, then they will usually not be worth it. If however you are a bunch of big eaters, then they may be worth it. One thing that you can do is schedule a late afternoon lunch buffet, and then just have a small something for dinner later.

'Ohana at the POly is an "all you care to enjoy" meal. I think it has gone downhill and it is not worth it to me (I am also not into "eating my money's worth" - I would rather have smaller portions at a lower cost. It's not bad, it's just not a place I want to go anymore. You may end up loving it.

-dave

dreamfinder

As PPs already pointed out, look over the menus posted here or on the official WDW site, and see what the food you would like would end up costing. Especially this far out, consider them to be a good estimate, but for a trip 6 months out, don't be surprised if things creep up by 5% or so. As far as best value, it really depends on what you would eat. Many people find that they can split one of the roast chicken dinners from Cosmic Rays, or pile on toppings at Pecos Bills and make a burger feed two people. Others find that they end up wasting the fries that come with many meals, but don't realize you can order the meal without them and save a few dollars. Drinking water instead of soda and bring your own snacks. Check the menu prices, some locations will have different prices for Lunch and Dinner, so you may be able to do a late lunch and then just a snack later on instead of doing two meals.

Bairstow

Is the quick service breakfast restaurant at Shades of Green more affordable than at the other resorts?

If not, it may be worth it to you to look into placing a start-of-stay order with Garden Grocer for those breakfasts. This can save you a great deal of money and time.

As @Phonedave said, unless your family has very unusual dining and snacking habits, you're going to save a lot more money off the plan than on it. It absolutely is not a discount.

Worldlover71

Try walking over to the Poly and having breakfast at Capt.Cooks. one day for a little variety. People swear by the Tonga Toast.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Since we paid for the meal plan last time and then didn't think about cost at all, I'm really curious how much these restaurants cost if you're paying per meal. Any advice about this - where to find pricing and which restaurants are the best value for your money?
I usually budget $45 per person per day for food. Between the mix of counter service and table service meals we eat (usually one of each per day, with either a large breakfast or an early lunch and then an evening meal) it works out to a number very close to that.

Dad 2 M & M

Quick comment on "value" Quick service

Several places have a chicken and rib combo that could easily be shared by you and your Prince(s):

ABC Commissary - Hollywood Studios
Flame Tree - Animal Kingdom
Cosmic Rays - Magic Kingdom - might not have the combo any longer

Another place to grab a quick bite suitable for sharing is Starring Rolls at the Studios....only open to around 2:00 or so....giant cold cut sandwiches

mouse_luv

Just a hint from a military brat that grew up staying at SOG with my parents on the regular, any chance you get to not take the buses there do it. Secondly, Capt Cooks QS on the lower floor of the Poly is better food (esp breakfast) than you can get at SOG other than Mangino's once in a blue moon and the pizza from Evergreens.

Have fun and good luck!

Jabbas

We always check out the menu/price sites before our trips. Not only does it give you an idea of costs but it will help you decide which restaurants suite you most and let you have a better idea in advance of what meal items you might want to try out. By pricing your meals in advance you may find it easier to budget for the trip and you may save more paying out of pocket than purchasing the DDP.... as long as you can avoid temptation and avoid adding on lots of extras.

This. Every vacation we go on (wdw included) I plan meals by looking at menus, prices, and reviews. If I plan the trip far enough in advance there are no surprises and I usually have money left over.

Jackiep9

Original Poster
Just a hint from a military brat that grew up staying at SOG with my parents on the regular, any chance you get to not take the buses there do it. Secondly, Capt Cooks QS on the lower floor of the Poly is better food (esp breakfast) than you can get at SOG other than Mangino's once in a blue moon and the pizza from Evergreens.

Have fun and good luck!

So you'd recommend walking over to the Poly for breakfast and then taking the transportation (monorail to MK or Epcot and buses to anywhere else) rather than doing breakfast and bus from Shades of Green? Maybe we should also consider dinner at the Poly if we aren't staying out late? Does the Kona Cafe usually need dinner reservations far in advance or could we just show up if it works out?

Also, from seeing all these replies, I'm assuming that the Poly's restaurants are open to anyone? Is that true or are you supposed to be staying there or on Disney property somewhere to use them?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So you'd recommend walking over to the Poly for breakfast and then taking the transportation (monorail to MK or Epcot and buses to anywhere else) rather than doing breakfast and bus from Shades of Green? Maybe we should also consider dinner at the Poly if we aren't staying out late? Does the Kona Cafe usually need dinner reservations far in advance or could we just show up if it works out?

Also, from seeing all these replies, I'm assuming that the Poly's restaurants are open to anyone? Is that true or are you supposed to be staying there or on Disney property somewhere to use them?
General rule of thumb in WDW is you will want to make a reservation for any and all table service restaurants. It is not quite as essential at Kona compared to other places, but they will frequently book solid.

All of the restaurants at the resorts are open to anyone.

nickys

Premium Member

Also worth checking the Contempo Cage (QS) and the Wave (TS) at the Contemporary. The CC has some decent options and The Wave can often be done as a walk up. A little further than the Poly but worth looking at for dinner maybe? There is also a grab and go place - Contempo Grounds - for those who like a coffee and pastry / muffin for breakfast; then you can walk over to MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom