new years eve 2014 -- what festivities are going on?

kniquy

We are surprising our kids with a trip to Disney for new years eve. We are arriving around 11:30am new years eve. I am looking for some tips and and ideas as to what to do with our kids on that crazy busy day. I have heard that Epcot with all the different countries is interesting because of each country celebrating at its' respective time.

As i have been reading I keep seeing that the parks sometimes close due to reaching capacity. What has been your experience been with this? If we arrived at Epcot around 5pm should we be able to get in. Is this information available on an app as to what parks are closed?

Has anyone been on new years eve and what was your experience or tips? we will have a 2 - 9 year olds and a 19 month old. I am not sure if we are even going to make it until midnight in the park with the little one.

Are there festivities that you would recommend that would still make the new years eve evening fun and that we wouldn't feel bad if we didnt' stay in the park until closing.

Is there anywhere i can find details of the festivities at each park?

Jwhee

If you want to see amazing fireworks, I HIGHLY suggest the Magic Kingdoms show. You would have to get into the park EARLY (11/12) Before it reaches capacity. If you want to go to Epcot you for sure have to get into the park before five. While Epcot has great NYE fireworks, I prefer the Magic Kingdom's.

Upvote 0

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
We are surprising our kids with a trip to Disney for new years eve. We are arriving around 11:30am new years eve. I am looking for some tips and and ideas as to what to do with our kids on that crazy busy day. I have heard that Epcot with all the different countries is interesting because of each country celebrating at its' respective time.

As i have been reading I keep seeing that the parks sometimes close due to reaching capacity. What has been your experience been with this? If we arrived at Epcot around 5pm should we be able to get in. Is this information available on an app as to what parks are closed?

Has anyone been on new years eve and what was your experience or tips? we will have a 2 - 9 year olds and a 19 month old. I am not sure if we are even going to make it until midnight in the park with the little one.

Are there festivities that you would recommend that would still make the new years eve evening fun and that we wouldn't feel bad if we didnt' stay in the park until closing.

Is there anywhere i can find details of the festivities at each park?
This was the lineup for last year at Epcot, expect similar.

Full entertainment lineup for Epcot's New Year's Eve celebration

Epcot very rarely hits capacity. MK on NYE will reach capacity early in the day, and will reopen around 8pm.

This is a report from NYE at Epcot last year http://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...wds-bring-long-waits-to-epcot-attractions.htm

Best bet, see the MK NYE fireworks on the 30th (they do them on the 30 and 31), then see Epcot's on the 31st. Both are great shows.

Upvote 0

BasiltheBatLord

my only experience is with MK, 2013 - 2014. (well, DLR 2012 - 2013 too but that's a different animal.)

get there as early as possible. last year they hit phase 3 capacity at about noon.

if you didn't know, park capacity works in i believe 4 different phase. if i remember right, phase 1 is parking closed, phase 2 is no new guests but handstamp re-entry, phase 3 is resort guests and AP's only and phase 4 is park closed to all new guests. i wouldn't have made it in last year if i wasn't a resort guest.

the best tip i can give you is avoid the hub as much as you can. during nightfall it turns into a riot zone. unfortunately in past years Disney has done this weird crowd control maneuver where they make the path from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland one-way so at one point you'll probably be forced to cross it to get to the other side of the park. when i say it's a riot zone i'm not kidding, if you have a group make sure to form a train with your hands because you can easily lose someone in that.

also if you want to get a really good fireworks view you are going to have to stake and camp your spot as early as possible. Disney does actually open up backstage areas behind the sides of Main Street to help alleviate crowd control a little before and during the fireworks also, so if you want to get a rare look backstage you can do that.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

Congratulations on deciding to visit WDW on NYE - prepare to be amazed BUT prepare for HUGE crowds. We visited over Christmas / New Year back in 08.
We were in the parks (EPCOT) by 10am and stayed there for the full day. Of the four parks I would recommend either EPCOT or MK - the trouble is, most people will also be visiting one of these two parks.
Park closures will come into effect at some point during the day for the big two parks. The problem will be that day guests (such as yourself - presumably) will be the first to be turned away as the parking lots reach capacity and guests with a one day ticket attempt to get in. I'm in no way trying to deter you - I'm pointing out the NECESSITY to arrive as early as possible (certainly well before mid morning to ensure you get in). Decide before you arrive, which park you're going to and STAY THERE - I wouldn't attempt to Hop as you may not get into another park later in the day.
Book your dining NOW (if you want a table serve restaurant), get your ticket media ordered very soon and get ready to book your Fast Passes on or around December 1st.
Be Prepared - if you go knowing that the crowds and stand by line will be huge then you won't be disappointed, and you will have a great time working around this. If you go thinking that most things can be accessed within 30 minutes or so, then you'll be very disappointed.

Upvote 0

cinderellafan6

The magic kingdom will be packed and not the best place for a 19 month old. Its tough with the little kids on a normal day. I would suggest EPCOT as it is the biggest park, though New Years eve at EPCOT kinda turns into an "outside club" with a lot of people drinking. Just to give you a heads up. But just prepare for the large crowds and you should be fine. Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

kniquy

Original Poster
We have decided to leave the little one at home with the grandparents and have this be a true trip for my twin boys. With not having the little one in tow I think we will have greater flexibility and with being able to stay out late and deal with the crowds better. I think we are planning on Epcot and with staying on property hopefully we will be able to get in.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom