New World Showcase country

Would you like to see a new country added to World Showcase?

• Yes

Votes: 89 93.7%
  • No

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters

Captain Barbossa

Original Poster
image-jpg.44857
North Korea would be eye-opening. Many people have no idea of what goes on in this country. The EPCOT version would have a huge statue of Kim Jong-Un. North Korean CMs would only let you take pictures of the statue, nothing else. The country itself would be a mini version of Pyongyang. A parade everyday with marching soldiers and nuclear missiles being shown off. At night, the power would dim, as they barely can keep their lights on. All the way in the back, would be a mini-labor camp....you know...like the ones NK says does not exist? The food served would be corn and cabbage only. Enjoy beautiful North Korea!
Please don't ever associate north korea with WDW again. The stuff that goes on in that country isn't a bit funny.

Texas84

Broken record here. Japan expansion. Use the adjacent pad for an Edo-period street leading to a shrine that serves as the entrance to Fuji coaster.

thomas998

I saw Brazil as a rumored country, and I would be fine with that. The tourist groups from Brazil would probably love it to. I would hope I would hear lots of bossa nova and Antonio Carlos Jobim music there--that music is so pretty! I would also like Greece--I think a dark ride through the land of Greek mythology would be pretty cool. And of course, a Greek restaurant, maybe set around "ruins" in a "permanent twilight" like the San Angel Inn. India would be great. I love Indian food. They could have a stage show featuring Bollywood music and dances.
Brasil makes the most sense to me, the only continents not really represented are South America and Australia so Brasil and Australia would pretty much make it a actual world showcase... at the moment its pretty much half a world showcase.

Who knows if they did create a Brasil showcase maybe it would provide a safe haven for everyone trying to avoid the tour groups from Brasil as I can't imagine it being a big draw for people from that country.

Gone Mad

I do really like the idea of Australia with a section for New Zealand as well. The food and culture would be a great addition as well.

Justinate

I know we lost the expansion pad between Norway and Mexico to the Royal Summerhouse "Frozen" Meet & Greet, and it looks like the Ratatouille dark ride will take over the pad between France and Morocco. So this leaves us with just three areas for expansion (assuming we don't reclaim the areas on either side of United Kingdom.

I'd suggest countries to represent the regions which otherwise lack a presence in WDW (this includes Animal Kingdom - so the Indian subcontinent and East Africa are excluded as Harambe and Anandapur/Serka Zong do a decent job representing them).
  1. Southeast Asia - quite a few candidates here, but the ones which strike me as plausible and feasible would be Cambodia or Thailand. (Laos is little-known, the negative connotations of Vietnam and Burma/Myanmar may be difficult to surpass, Singapore lacks a distinctive character beyond modern metropolis, and I am not sure the world's largest Muslim country Indonesia would want to be represented by its most famous monuments, which happen to be ancient Hindu temples). I'm plumping for Cambodia because the Angkor complex is superb and a lightly-themed roller-coaster (set amidst ruins overgrown by tropical jungle) could easily be cloned from Disneyland Paris' Indiana Jones and The Temple of Peril, minus its barely-evident Indiana Jones theming (you'll see why in a bit).
  2. Middle East - a lot of political hot potatoes here. The safest bet would be Egypt, as has been suggested (it would also tick off the Africa box, being technically located on that continent) and its setting of ancient temples, pyramids and tombs make it ripe for a dark ride. But I fear it would invite too many comparisons to Universal's Mummy dark ride, so I am going with Jordan instead. A narrow canyon leads to the imposing facade of Petra's treasury, which Indiana Jones fans will recognize from The Last Crusade. Appropriately, the Treasury will house an Indy dark ride following the legendary adventurer on his search for the Holy Grail.
  3. South America - I know Brazil and Venezuela have been suggested but I am not a huge fan of either because IMO, they lack "iconic" architecture (beyond Rio's statue of Christ the Redeemer). A tropical rainforest ride does not cut it, IMO - World Showcase pavilions to me should represent the cultural achievements of a country rather than its natural landscapes (a better fit to Animal Kingdom). So I would go with Peru, which neatly integrates pre-Columbian civilizations with Spanish colonial architecture (which can help cover off the need for a separate Spanish pavilion). I would place a replica of the Cathedral of Arequipa at the front, housing a Soarin'-style film of the country's most famous sites: Machu Picchu, Nazca lines, Cuzco, Lake Titicaca, Spanish Lima and Arequipa, Colca canyon, Amazonian rainforest, Maras salt pans. Behind the cathedral, lie the ruins of an Inca stronghold, which lead to a boat ride through the Sacred Valley, portraying scenes from the country's history (with Audio-Animatronics) and culminating in the clash between the Inca and Spanish empires.
  4. Oceania - Australia, represented by a replica of the Sydney Opera House, which can house a "paragliding" ride through Australia's varied land, city and sea-scapes. (If Turtle Talk with Crush didn't already exist at the Living Seas, I would've placed it here too, providing a much-needed, child-friendly attraction.)
  5. If we could relax the prohibition against European countries (which are otherwise over-represented) to allow just one more, I would love it to be Greece. I feel its iconic architecture differs significantly from the existing European pavilions (think the ruins of the Parthenon with the monasteries of Meteora looming overhead). I would love to see a Spiderman-style ride based on Percy Jackson and the Olympians, whose books Disney published under its Hyperion imprint and now also owns the film rights through its acquisition of Fox. (I'd also thrown in a Hercules meet-and-greet.)
  6. If coming up with new attractions for an European pavilion is too difficult, I would revive the idea for an East Coast Matterhorn, set within a Swiss pavilion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom