New updates coming to Figment?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Imagine that concept. Man I hope this is the start of the return of Disney quality. Slowly but surely.

I don't mind the IP invasion as much as others but this show quality nosedive has to stop soon.

it will not stop until Disney hires a senior leadership team who understands that creative is not an expense rather it's their core competency and is the reason behind the remarkable financial success Disney has had over the years.

UNI has realized this and Senior Leadership 'gets it' but as Spirit notes they succeed in spite of themselves because to a large extent 'middile management' does not 'get it yet' and want to keep running the place on the cheap. But because of support at the top levels things get built and quickly with a quality we once only associated with Disney, (Which is no real surprise as Universal has hired much of the creative talent forced out of Disney)

Earl Sweatpants

I think they should force all EPCOT managers to watch every one of Martin's videos... to really get the back story behind the creation of what was there...to understand how to move it forward. I feel like the most recent management regimes don't even understand the scale of what they are tinkering with or what went onto it's creation... They have something in their hands that is more precious than they know, and continue to make uninformed decisions without seeming to understand the full scope of what EPCOT is (was) and what it represents...
They definitely need a crash-course in experiencing Epcot at its best, and then figure out how to make it even better than that. Sadly though, all they see are dollar signs and any attempt to adhere to original principles will go unmet. Heck, they just need to actually read the dedication plaque to see how far off their current incarnation is.

Sidenote: Iger probably watches the videos and thinks, "I don't understand anything, there's nothing here based on a movie!"

RoysCabin

I think they should force all EPCOT managers to watch every one of Martin's videos... to really get the back story behind the creation of what was there...to understand how to move it forward. I feel like the most recent management regimes don't even understand the scale of what they are tinkering with or what went onto it's creation... They have something in their hands that is more precious than they know, and continue to make uninformed decisions without seeming to understand the full scope of what EPCOT is (was) and what it represents...

Yeah, there are plenty of arguments to be made about how reverting to a 1982 mindset won't fix what ails EPCOT, but there's no denying the park's original success and how there are clear overarching ideas and potential moneymakers that should not be ignored just because they don't extend from pre-existing properties.

Back in the 80s there was an attempt to build a fully integrated EPCOT brand; a television magazine show, school curriculum materials, and I could be wrong but I feel like there were ideas for a quarterly publication or something that focused on tech, culture, and food. Given Disney's insatiable hunger for new brands to add under the umbrella, why not attempt to take advantage of EPCOT in a similar way? Again, marketing it similarly to 1982 may not work anymore, but there's clearly still something there.

It's been brought up again and again, but it really points to the overly conservative, low-risk approach that so many companies use these days, particularly movie studios; a fully fleshed out and cared for EPCOT could open up new revenue streams and in the case of characters like Dreamfinder and Figment could open up a new movie or TV franchise, but original ideas are simply not considered worth the financial risk if they don't hit in a big way immediately...which seems silly in the case of EPCOT, since even in its current downtrodden form it's still one of the most visited parks on the planet, and its placement within WDW means that they could put on a flea circus and draw a pretty huge crowd, let alone a much better cared for iteration of EPCOT. There are certainly limits to what would constitute a worthwhile financial investment, but I don't understand the seeming risk aversion when they've got a potential long term money maker on their hands.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

It's about time they do something with LWTL.

Well, since they want to make Epcot more....."Thrilling" it can now be change to....
Living With The
Land-of-the-Dead-2005.jpg

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Back in the 80s there was an attempt to build a fully integrated EPCOT brand; a television magazine show, school curriculum materials, and I could be wrong but I feel like there were ideas for a quarterly publication or something that focused on tech, culture, and food.
Someday management will realize that the theme parks are not just about exploiting IP, they ARE IP.

alphac2005

Which is time for my classic post to come up again..:D
3814986.jpg
In the not kidding department: My company had a major issue with a defective product run from one of our contracted manufacturing plants this past week. After extensively detailing the problem, I got an email with the first solution. No joke, metallic sticky tape. Yes, businesses really do it, it's no joke! You can also assume that non-solution didn't go over well. :)

tl77

Someday management will realize that the theme parks are not just about exploiting IP, they ARE IP.
When Epcot first opened there was nothing quite like it anywhere else in the world, and they promoted it that way, but it was also conceived and financed by corporate sponsors, and created Walt's original Imagineers who created Disneyland, some of the most popular attractions at the 1964 World's Fair, and had 40 some years experience making hit movies... today they just rely on hit movies because they don't have guys like Marc Davis creating iconic characters for the parks from scratch, they also don't have a weekly TV show to hype the parks like they did from the 1950's through the 1990's... but with the Magic Kingdom already the #1 vacation destination on the planet it shouldn't be all that hard to make Epcot appealing, they just have to do "something" as opposed to "nothing" doing, because nothing for Epcot hasn't seemed to work so well the past 15+ years

tirian

The incredible videos from @marni1971 make me wish I lived nearby in England so we could be best friends. :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom