New traffic light system coming to World Drive near the Magic Kingdom auto plaza

biggy H

I have had it before and I think it is awesome...but that name. How did that ever make it past marketing?;)

Probably because its not a new desert, first seen in a recipe book in 1849... way before marketing departments...

Speckled Richard didn't hit the mark?

The catering staff of Flintshire County Council decided in 2009 to rename it to "Spotted Richard" because of all the jokes they were receiving.

Brad Bishop

A traffic light will help, but I've always thought that whole area was poorly engineered, and just a bit confusing. Seems like there could have been a better way to work all of the roads thru there. I wonder though, with the upcoming closure of the speedway, might there be more changes coming to the area in the near future?

I'm with you. It never made sense to me where they put the toll plaza with regards to the road. I can't even imagine the conversation on that as it's not like it would have made more sense or been more trendy in the late 1960s/early 1970s. "Hey, just have everyone going to a resort go through the toll plaza. It'll be OK as we won't charge them."

It just makes no sense.

The Epcot "French Curve" interchange looks just as goofy to me but in the exact opposite way. I know that the last time I mentioned this someone said the Epcot deal was because they added that road later (used to just go to Epcot parking) and they had to keep the parking lot open and all that.

It just seems like they could have done it better in both cases.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Probably because its not a new desert, first seen in a recipe book in 1849... way before marketing departments...

The catering staff of Flintshire County Council decided in 2009 to rename it to "Spotted Richard" because of all the jokes they were receiving.
The_Sarcasm_Misunderstanding_by_ThePlotThinnens_zpsa65f7933.jpg

Brad Bishop

Do you mean a diverging diamond interchange? We have three in Georgia - one of which I have used a few times. The first time I exited onto the interchange, it was very simple to understand. Definitely not a mess.

I also drive through several round-abouts in my normal commute. At the busier intersections, traffic still is a bit slow, but much better than the four-way stop. They are still new, and people are getting used to them. I think they would be more effective if much larger - similar to what you find in Europe. And, people need to learn how to signal for the exit. That really would help traffic flow more smoothly.

I like the diverging diamond interchange. I'm near the one at Pleasant Hill.

My only complaint is that while it does help alleviate the traffic right at that intersection (I85 and Pleasant Hill) the traffic lights just down the street on either side seem to goof it all up.

I'd like to see more roundabouts instead of traffic lights. They make much more sense to me and the throughput is better.

Monorail_Red_77

Rotaries/Roundabouts keep traffic moving. Mythbusters did a study on it and they are very efficient.

Yes, they are very efficient so long as they are not installed beside a traffic light that will then over-rule the roundabout. In that case the traffic would be ruled by the traffic light and then in heavy traffic situations would turn the roundabout into a parking circle. :confused:

But, normally yes there would be minimal to no stopping in the case of most roundabouts. ;)

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Those of you fascinated by the roundabout should really look at Dupont circle... That is good times...

*1023*

FigmentsFangirl

There are two or three traffic circles near me. I get yelled at trying to drive through them as fast as possible.
Ah yes, the traffic circles are the bane of my exsistence, Never been yelled at {yet}, but I have been honked at for slowing down at a few of them when in the left lane.

As to the traffic light being intalled, all I can say is "its about dang time!" Now the busses will speed up a bit! {Only times I take the busses are from POR or CB or Coranado Springs; its also easier for me to get to DTD as well}

MaryJaneP

Circles work best when the drivers using them become accustomed to them. Unfortunately, the circles would be mis-used primarily by visitors from out of state that have no concept of how to use it. The bus drivers would know how to use a circle. Guests probably would not. Case in point, the circle-lights in Townson MD. Residents can navigate this difficult traffic situation. We have observed many visitors to nearby schools totally flustered by this combination.

ILOVEDISNEY

I wonder how long it will take to put up a red light camera to generate additional revenue for Disney and Orange County? Of course, additional deputies/troopers will have to be assigned there to monitor the intersection.

PhotoDave219

The thing I don't like is that you now by default have to stop and wait...like the jughandle...when coming from Fort Wilderness. Hopefully the light cycles quickly.

Well, we've had enough accidents as it is. Makes me wonder if this will make things better or worse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom