New traffic light system coming to World Drive near the Magic Kingdom auto plaza

WDF

The roundabout at WWoS is really more of a pick up/drop off area that happens to go 'round and about.

That is not true. The roundabout is not the drop-off area, that is at the top of the photograph. The roundabout is where you enter the parking lot, it is NOT designed as a place for vehicles to stop and let passengers out.

MGMBoy

I think this was brought up before. But, if not.

Here is a current aerial view of the intersection in question.
View attachment 93705

If they do not do a massive change to the auto plaza then they could make some changes like this. It would utilize an access road that is not used currently by guests. It would require a repave and striping. They could then install a traffic signal at the existing intersection in yellow.

They could then remove the roadway from the auto plaza to the current world drive and vista intersection, as shown below. They could even leave the weird snake that southbound world drive does currently to get onto east vista.

This would eliminate the possibility of traffic backing up into the auto plaza and even farther, at least as the plaza exists today.

View attachment 93704

Wish I had thought of that. :p

What about something like this?

View attachment 93672

Improve the road in blue, add a ramp approaching it and force all of the non-bus traffic going to the resorts that direction (one-way obviously). It would help the buses by cutting down on the number of cars in front of them at the toll plaza, would make it so the only traffic interfering with southbound traffic is buses who could them (in theory stop if needed and it would allow resort guests to avoid the plaza backups. Since there is no way to get into the MK lot from there, they wouldn't lose out on parking revenues and the northbound traffic could easily merge back onto World Drive since the second northbound lane starts there so there would be no merging. It is also far enough from the World/Vista interchange that you would not have to worry about traffic backing into the intersection during a red light.

Thoughts?

Great minds think alike! Only difference is I think they should leave the spur from the plaza in place and make that a bus only lane. Maybe even put a barrier in to separate the lane from the parking lot traffic. That way if someone misses the new turn off (either accidentally or on purpose) they wouldn't be force-fed into the MK lot.

Last edited:

Big C 73

Just out of general inquiry, as to when was the road going right before the toll booths last utilized (Seemingly early within Walt Disney World's initial years of operation on the basis of satellite imagery)? Also, what was the initial reasoning of such a roadway configuration? I had always contemplated upon the matter, and I feel as if this is the appropriate time to ask.

ryguy

Has anyone heard about future plans for the speedway? What is the plan for that space? Will they put the toll plaza somewhere over there?

Phil12

Google Milton Keynes and roundabouts.
Thanks for that information. I personally like roundabouts and think they should be used more often. It is, of course, understandable why roundabouts are used so extensively in the UK since you folks drive on the wrong side of the road. :)

Disney6166

It won't take many cars to back up the toll plaza. Probably about 8 in my estimation. Then when the toll booth gets backed-up the three lanes that merge into one will only be harder to navigate as well. The light will have to change quickly at both spots, and i don't see how that will help the situation much. It will make it safer, but now it will create even more traffic, especially in peak seasons. The round-a-bout would be the most effective way to proceed.

Disney6166

Has anyone heard about future plans for the speedway? What is the plan for that space? Will they put the toll plaza somewhere over there?
That is a great question, I have heard it was going to be more overflow parking. But it would work to move the toll plaza in that direction. Seems like a great idea.

Disney6166

Just out of general inquiry, as to when was the road going right before the toll booths last utilized (Seemingly early within Walt Disney World's initial years of operation on the basis of satellite imagery)? Also, what was the initial reasoning of such a roadway configuration? I had always contemplated upon the matter, and I feel as if this is the appropriate time to ask.
I think that whomever designed this configuration never intended the traffic it would see over there. I believe the whole idea was people staying at the Deluxe Resorts over would use the monorail, and those roads would be used more for Disney Cast members to get around Disney Property.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for that information. I personally like roundabouts and think they should be used more often. It is, of course, understandable why roundabouts are used so extensively in the UK since you folks drive on the wrong side of the road. :)
Blame the duellists...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The Toll plaza shouldn't be moving as far as I know.

Expect major changes between it and the parking lot though.

senor_jorge

Barbara Eden+? Bring it!!
You Americans.... Roundabouts are the norm in the UK and mainland Europe....

I learned to drive in Europe, and understand. I also live in the US where we are starting to see more of them near our home. It's always an adventure as you try to guess what some other people will decide to do as you watch their car swerve and brake. It's at least a D ticket.

s8film40

This is what was proposed for that intersection as of 1997 (red lines indicate proposed roads).
0lJ44Hb.jpg

While this is certainly outdated, it could be that now that they are planing to close the race track they could be looking to take advantage of that space to create a better intersection much like this proposal had planned.

I wouldn't expect progress to develop to rapidly though as this is one of the few WDW roadways actually owned by WDW itself. Disney would need to pay for any work being done there themselves and they seem inclined lately to spread their facility improvement costs out quite a bit lately.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
In the USA the state of New Jersey has lots of roundabouts. Those of us in the states consider New Jersey to be the armpit of the nation. And I say that having been a former resident of The Garden State.

In southern NJ where I live they have been eliminating the major roundabouts (we called them traffic circles) over the past few decades since they were an absolute nightmare.

Nemo14

In southern NJ where I live they have been eliminating the major roundabouts (we called them traffic circles) over the past few decades since they were an absolute nightmare.
While here in my town they are currently putting 5 roundabouts in within a few miles from my home.

Biff215

I'm here also and always heard that NJ was the only state that still had roundabouts (circles), but now it appears other states are just adding them. Our drivers do tend to have a bad reputation, so I'm thinking WDW would be another bad place for one with so many out of town drivers.

I always felt bad for the cars who were sitting there as I drove by, but I have a feeling I'm going to dislike this even more as traffic backs up. Will only make me later for those Poly breakfast ADR's!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom