New Tomorrowland Rock Paint Job

UpAllNight

I'm glad they're refreshing Tomorrowland - I hope the changes continue.

Can't help but feel the biggest improvement they could make would be the remove that horrible dated pathway from Fantasyland, including the Speedway. It looks so oollldddd. The amount of land the sppedway takes up it could be split into a great Alice in Wonderland area of Fantasyland and also provide a big expansion space for Tomorrowland. It's kind of embarrassing in its current form.

Last edited:

NearTheEars

I'm glad they're refreshing Tomorrowland - I hope the changes continue.

Can't help but feel the biggest improvement they could make would be the remove that horrible dated pathway from Fantasyland, including the Speedway. It looks so oollldddd. The amount of land it takes up it could be split into a great Alice in Wonderland area of Fantasyland and also provide a big expansion space for Tomorrowland. It's kind of embarrassing in its current form.

Despite walking through some packs of smokers (nothing against them) I love walking along that path. Especially when the train chugs by. But I wouldn't be sad if it was eliminated to make way for new attractions.

UpAllNight

Despite walking through some packs of smokers (nothing against them) I love walking along that path. Especially when the train chugs by. But I wouldn't be sad if it was eliminated to make way for new attractions.

Oh I think I haven't explained it well...I mean that entrance to Tomorrowland where the entrance to the speedway is. It's a horrible blend from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland. It's abrupt, unexciting and dated

Goofyernmost

Yup, you're all correct. Let's get rid of the cars. Who gives a damn if kids have something they like. This place is about us adults. Leave the kids home, they don't belong here.

Bocabear

There's plenty of other things in the park that kids like and plenty of similar experiences to those cars outside the park all over the country.
That is so true...and really, they could plus up this attraction adding show scenes and electric cars, and at least it would be a more unique experience and worthy of this park. As it currently stands, it is comletely out of step with the rest of the park...and has kind of always been.
It should have been modernized back when Autopia was years ago...

Goofyernmost

But wasn't the entire point of Disneyland/World to satisfy the entire family? I don't see why they couldn't update the speedway to be both impressive and fun.
I was being sarcastic, of course, it should stay it is the tomorrow of many to todays children. It is fun and exciting and quite often the highlight of their trip. Every kid wants to drive. I've seen snails move faster then those cars do, but, to a kid it is high speed and fun. We as adults need to get over the idea that they shouldn't be there. They should be there as much, if not more than any other thing in Tomorrowland. I have no problem with them upgrading the cars to perhaps electric as long as they can find a way to maintain the authentic engine sounds. Since there are no waterfalls in Florida I'd say that the pollution to created the electricity is probably equal to whatever is created by the cars. As an adult, it is highly hypocritical of us to complain about the pollution anyway, since most of us took some type of motorized vehicle to get there, so, we really don't care all that much about the pollution, when it doesn't benefit ourselves.

DisneyFans4Life

I was being sarcastic, of course, it should stay it is the tomorrow of many to todays children. It is fun and exciting and quite often the highlight of their trip. Every kid wants to drive. I've seen snails move faster then those cars do, but, to a kid it is high speed and fun. We as adults need to get over the idea that they shouldn't be there. They should be there as much, if not more than any other thing in Tomorrowland. I have no problem with them upgrading the cars to perhaps electric as long as they can find a way to maintain the authentic engine sounds. Since there are no waterfalls in Florida I'd say that the pollution to created the electricity is probably equal to whatever is created by the cars. As an adult, it is highly hypocritical of us to complain about the pollution anyway, since most of us took some type of motorized vehicle to get there, so, we really don't care all that much about the pollution, when it doesn't benefit ourselves.
I agree that the cars can stay because it's pretty much every kid's dream to drive a racecar...but I think it needs some updating. Cars don't necessarily need to be faster, but it would be nice if they were easier to steer and perhaps themed a bit more to the land. Yes driving a car is the tomorrow of a kid, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with making it more futuristic. Imagine getting to drive a rocketcar or some kind of future "flying" car...it'd fit in perfect with the rest of the land.

Goofyernmost

I agree that the cars can stay because it's pretty much every kid's dream to drive a racecar...but I think it needs some updating. Cars don't necessarily need to be faster, but it would be nice if they were easier to steer and perhaps themed a bit more to the land. Yes driving a car is the tomorrow of a kid, but there wouldn't be anything wrong with making it more futuristic. Imagine getting to drive a rocketcar or some kind of future "flying" car...it'd fit in perfect with the rest of the land.
Agreed. Not likely to happen because it could be a cardboard box with a steering wheel and the kids would love it anyway. But, for esthetics, it could be upgraded.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, August 18. New dark brown base coat of paint on the Tomorrowland side of the rock face (at both sides of the entrance). The front side of the rock is the same as shown in previous photos on the blog website (white base coat of paint).
P.S. Castle roof work being done today with the crane.

IMG_8227.JPG

MissM

I didn't get there until evening, but rockwork is openly continuing. There's scaffold visible though the primary rocks appear to have been mainly primed or base coated at this point. They're more a dull grey/beige sorta color.

mk-rockwork1a.jpg

mk-rockwork1b.jpg

ALL the rocks in the extended Stitch queue are fully painted, not just one sample one.
mk-rockwork1d.jpg

mk-rockwork1e.jpg

And if you go all the way to the end of the extended queue, there's a staging area with a popup tent way back at the end.

mk-rockwork1f.jpg

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/wal...e-fight-against-zika-at-walt-disney-world.htm

Rob562

I didn't get there until evening, but rockwork is openly continuing. There's scaffold visible though the primary rocks appear to have been mainly primed or base coated at this point. They're more a dull grey/beige sorta color.

mk-rockwork1a.jpg

I'm surprised they didn't use the island under the Tomorrowland bridge to its full advantage and dam up that section of the Hub waterway and drain it. That's what it was designed to do.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom