Rumor Stitch's Great Escape Replacement— Don’t Hold Your Breath

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I believe there's several options being considered for the speedway of varying scale.

I doubt any will allow it to remain in 1971.

Best news I've read in a long time. Hype!
Now if they would just level it and turn it into a Whip or Bumper Saucers style attraction. Or both and then some. Tons of potential. It's a pretty large chunk of land. You can easily add a few C tickets or a mega E. Ah to dream.

Last edited:

doctornick

I believe there's several options being considered for the speedway of varying scale.

Question: would any options feature using the Speedway plot for Fantasyland at all? Or would any changes/replacement keep the entire area all part of Tomorrowland.

Personally, if the Speedway ends up going, I'd really like to see some expansion of FL around the Tea Cups and better transition in that area between FL and TL.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Question: would any options feature using the Speedway plot for Fantasyland at all? Or would any changes/replacement keep the entire area all part of Tomorrowland.

Personally, if the Speedway ends up going, I'd really like to see some expansion of FL around the Tea Cups and better transition in that area between FL and TL.
All I know of is staying in Tomorrowland.

Rteetz

At this point, can @CarouselOf be dismissed as a valid source? I've referenced them a few times on my site but I'm questioning their credibility.
Well they've had some other info about tomorrowland in the past. They are said to be employees of the ride which gives some credibility but how much can attraction CMs know? That's the question to be asked. Their stuff may be worth noting but should also be taken with a grain of salt IMO.

doctornick

So, I've got mixed feelings about this new rumor about the Speedway.

Regarding the Speedway, I'm firmly in the "replace it" camp -- I find it ugly, smelly, not in theme and using up a lot of prime real estate. I don't have a problem with the idea of a go kart ride, but the execution is poor and is nothing special compared to so many places you can find virtually anyone close to home for most people.

That said, I was getting excited by the hints that there might be a new attractions on new land instead of a replacement. MK needs additional rides, not just replacing what is already there. And there's plenty of expansion land, especially in Tomorrowland. DL constantly keeps all of its old rides and is creatively using its very limited space o add more attractions -- why can't WDW learn the same lesson? Furthermore, I'd only really support removal of the Speedway as a way to expand Fantasyland (since it encroaches on that land); TL actually doesn't have the same space constraints as FL.

Then again, this hinting is vague. Is this some sort of re-imaging of the Speedway to bring it more in theme with the rest of Tomorrowland (since the land is getting a refresh)? Electric cars? More futuristic vehicles? I'd support that certainly, but I think TL also needs an actual expansion and more ride capacity.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

I wouldn't be at all surprised if one of their options would be to repurpose the vehicles that are now retired in TDL (their speedway just closed permanently), and whatever other components go with it.

clemmo

I'm really liking all of this TL love. The speedway should be replaced with a much more futuristic and possibly more compacted version. I wouldn't mind something that maybe had multi levels too. If you can compact it you still have room for "future expansion" (aka space for merch and DVC carts.) As for Stitch I have no clue what ip to expect but as long as those in the know like the proposal I'll trust that it'll be decent. It can't get worse than stitch so it only goes up from here!

Cesar R M

They're definitely hit or miss. Didn't they say Guardians was going into RnRC? That is clearly a miss. But they were pretty spot on with a lot of the components of the Tomorrowland overhaul.
Well, remember that the news were constantly changing, even Marni and @WDW1974 were talking in percentages of probability. Specially when the idea was then moved to Epcot (energy replacement) after the huge push against using TOT.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I'd be surprised if something raceway style didn't remain.

Like this?

upload_2017-1-20_5-33-0.png

RoysCabin

It's a little sad to look at early Tomorrowland pictures and see the types of the views you used to get on the Raceway, really seemed like a totally difference experience back then before it began getting chopped to kingdom come. Doesn't change that it still uses loud, outdated, pollutant-heavy technology that would be nice to phase out, but it's kind of astounding that they haven't changed more of it over time.

Though if they did chop it down more into something more compact, what do you guys think would make for a good added Tomorrowland attraction in the saved space? I'm trying to think up an original (or at least non-regular Disney IP) concept, and admittedly I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I could see people saying to instead have it go to Fantasyland, but it'd be nice to see TL get an addition.

KBLovedDisney

Wonder if they could integrate the use of the slightly new hover board technology (the one with wheels; not Back to the Future) into the speedway ride. Think that would be kinda cool.

doctornick

It's a little sad to look at early Tomorrowland pictures and see the types of the views you used to get on the Raceway, really seemed like a totally difference experience back then before it began getting chopped to kingdom come. Doesn't change that it still uses loud, outdated, pollutant-heavy technology that would be nice to phase out, but it's kind of astounding that they haven't changed more of it over time.

That's the thing: the ride fails on show many levels now. I don't necessarily have a problem with what is essentially a go kart ride in the park, but it needs to have the "Disney difference" -- use electric cars and/or stylize them to fit the futuristic concept of the land, make the scenery of the drive improved, etc.

Hopefully, these hinted at plans address these flaws to the experience and make it worthy of inclusion in MK.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom