New to rD...? about costumes

Jenngusto

Original Poster
Hello all,:D
My mom and I are doing the 5k over the princess half marathon weekend and would love to wear costumes. I am wondering how serious we can get. The rules clearly state nothing that could injure someone, obviously, but if I made a snow white costume would I be allowed to wear it? I am 39, obviously not a child by age or size but in my heart, and I know the rules about adults wearing costumes in the parks are have become more strict... i am uber excited about my first rD event and the work i have put into training after breaking both legs within 2 months last year. It has been a long road to recovery and I want to celebrate, not get turned away from the start due to a costume...:(

Please help. Thank you for your time and consideration. :)

FerretAfros

It's tough to say what exactly will be allowed, since there haven't been any races since the new rules at the parks. In the past they've been pretty loose with the rules, and they're still encouraging people to wear costumes, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I would imagine we'll have a better idea of what exactly is/isn't allowed after the races next weekend

And a 5K is probably the most forgiving distance, but you probably don't want to wear anything too authentic looking while you run, just for the convenience of it. Most people end up wearing something that more like Disney Bounding than a true costume. For Snow White, this is a popular look (I think some blogger must have done a tutorial on it or something), which does a good job of walking the line between being recognizable and being wearable on a run
IMG_9561.jpg

Texas84

^ Great post.

Your Snow White should be fine. My guess is that props will be a problem. Don't know.

And welcome!

Texas84

From the event guide:

Disney reserves the right to deny admission to or remove any person wearing attire that we consider inappropriate or attire that could detract from the experience of other Guests. All participants and their Guests may dress as their favorite character, but must follow these guidelines as determined solely by Disney:

• Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent
• Guests may not wear masks of any kind
• Guests who dress like Characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other Guests
• Costumes may not drag on the ground
• Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another Guest
• Costumes may not contain any weapons which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon
• Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from, a race or any race related event/activity unless his or her costume can be modified to meet the above standards

dreamfinder

The funny thing is, the rules about the costumes in park actually got less strict. They used to state no one over 10 could wear costumes, and now they state no one over 14.

Beyond that, as PPs mentioned, the key thing to a costume for any race is that you can actually run in it. A large majority of costumes you will see will be a variation on the theme posted above. Tech shirt/top modified to fit the costume, frequently accompanied by a tutu or sparkley skirt. (I draw the line at my kilt, sorry ladies) Then there are people that wear big elaborate ones. A few years ago someone was raising money for Alex's Lemonade Stand, so they made a stand out of cardboard that they wore like they were in the stand selling lemonade. And there are pics floating around of someone at a DLR race who dressed up as Kronk carrying Yzma in her carrier (Google "runDisney Kronk" to see pictures). Use common sense about what could cause problems and you should be fine.

Texas84

The Star Wars costumes at DLR last January were nuts. TIE fighters, X-Wings, elaborate stuff. Not sure how some of them finished the half. Wonder if they crack down on those.

Jenngusto

Original Poster
Wow. There have been some insane costumes! I just got the email from runDisney that was sent out about costumes so think I am good to go. A snow white themed tutu for me with a red bow and royal blue tank and Cinderella themed tutu for mom with a light blue tank. Of course we will both have tiaras, too! Thank you all for your help!!

Sumrdog

The funny thing is, the rules about the costumes in park actually got less strict. They used to state no one over 10 could wear costumes, and now they state no one over 14.

Beyond that, as PPs mentioned, the key thing to a costume for any race is that you can actually run in it. A large majority of costumes you will see will be a variation on the theme posted above. Tech shirt/top modified to fit the costume, frequently accompanied by a tutu or sparkley skirt. (I draw the line at my kilt, sorry ladies) Then there are people that wear big elaborate ones. A few years ago someone was raising money for Alex's Lemonade Stand, so they made a stand out of cardboard that they wore like they were in the stand selling lemonade. And there are pics floating around of someone at a DLR race who dressed up as Kronk carrying Yzma in her carrier (Google "runDisney Kronk" to see pictures). Use common sense about what could cause problems and you should be fine.
I ran the race with The Kronk. I can't remember which one it was the Disneyland Half maybe. I do think some costumes have been pretty hard to maneuver around, particularly at Star Wars last year. But if people had been working on something they didn't give them much time to rethink it. My outfit will be legal...I am really glad I didn't get super creative and paper Maché myself a Jabba The Hut suit or something.

FigmentPigments

I ran the last Tower of Terror dressed as a bellhop carrying a small suitcase as a prop. I've seen someone carrying and playing a tuba in the half marathon and then the next day at the marathon. There was also a guy dribbling 2 basketballs in the same two races.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom