New theme park competition coming for WDW in Florida!

Progress.City

Original Poster
For those who still claim this development's draw is not the theme parks or that they plan anything mediocre and attractions element of it, look at these renderings and then say that...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

More...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 39

spacemt354

Chili's
Maybe this has already been said. Haven't read the whole thread.

But you do realize that regardless of what goes to Miami, mall or not, it's four hours away from Walt Disney World. To try and draw a connection and say it may have an impact on WDW is like saying a new skyscraper in New York City is going to negatively affect Washington D.C. tourism...it's just not plausible.

lazyboy97o

I found the Walt Disney World connection! The illustrative image for the submarine ride is of the long defunct 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea at the Magic Kingdom. I guess they didn't want to use their prior submarine ride, which was also closed a few years back. The image for the Legoland Discovery Center is not a Legoland of any sort, but the Lego Store at Downtown Disney.

PinnySmart

False. We here in Miami take pride in our city.
I don't have much to add related to the new mall but I did spend a year working in Miami. I was on a healthcare team trying to do good work and we were treated miserably by the locals and the Latin community. I think we were just to White bread American or at least that's the way we were treated.
People will travel to destinations and shop like crazy though. Has anyone ever been to the shopping areas in Las Vegas or even the Orlando Premium Outlets? So for those who do enjoy visiting Miami the mall will be a big draw. It just isn't a place I ever plan to visit again. Just sharing my opinion and experience.

Disneyhead'71

I do think this will be hugely popular with the South American tourists. They shop like crazy and Miami is already very popular in that demo.

actioncookbook

At least I'm honest. As I said, this may cause some families to plan one day less in Orlando and at least a day in Miami, thus affecting all Orlando attractions. Is that a stretch? Possibly. But definitely and maybe remotely possible.

This is by far my favorite phrase in this thread. I literally laughed out loud. In other news, I have a definite remote chance of winning the Powerball 16 times and opening my own theme park in Florida. Look out Disney! I'm comin' for ya!

DisneyCane

Regarding the posted renderings of this project, go check out the Monte Carlo/New York, New York retail project renderings that MGM put out and then see how it was actually built. The renderings look like a shopping and relaxation utopia where the final product looks the same as every other Las Vegas Strip frontage retail project.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
For those first joining us...

It’s projected to cost as much as $4 billion to build and employ 25,000 people once opened, more than enough to give it Miami-Dade’s largest private-sector payroll.
A mall's payroll is not paid by the mall, but by the individual tenants.

That throws your "largest private-sector payroll" hypothesis right out the window.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Speaking as a foreign tourist and haven spoken to similar others the consensus is this has not a hint of affecting Orlando.

The outlet malls drag us away from the parks for a half day. The other 13.5 days are spent in the parks. Miami doesn't come anywhere into it unless it's a specifically targeted destination. A mall won't make it any different. As nice as the art may look.

We do have these in Europe you know.

Bocabear

The concept art is beautiful, but it will most likely be just that....concept art. they will start building something and it will end up being another outlet mall...As much as I would love to see something interesting, I do not expect this project to actually materialize as shown...

CDavid

Actually, the mall is going feature flannel super stores as far as the eye can see and the train is going to connect Miami to Vermont, New Hampshire, upstate NY, and Maine and try and take advantage of the burgeoning fall leaf watching tourism industry.

Those trains already exist.....so, I suppose (under the logic of this thread) that makes existing malls in Miami competition for malls in the Northeastern states? :D

Some of you are also still assuming that All Aboard Florida actually happens. That's not a safe assumption.

Bocabear

Those trains already exist.....so, I suppose (under the logic of this thread) that makes existing malls in Miami competition for malls in the Northeastern states? :D

Some of you are also still assuming that All Aboard Florida actually happens. That's not a safe assumption.
I believe Jeb killed it last time... We would have a high speed rail in place now if it weren't for him... Miami to Orlando in 2 hours!!
but no...the voters did not know what they were talking about when they approved the measure.

DisneyCane

I believe Jeb killed it last time... We would have a high speed rail in place now if it weren't for him... Miami to Orlando in 2 hours!!
but no...the voters did not know what they were talking about when they approved the measure.

If it wasn't killed, we probably wouldn't have Miami to Orlando in 2 hours. The first leg was going to be Orlando to Tampa. Once that leg was up and losing unbelievable amounts of money, they wouldn't have built the rest anyway. Voters don't know what they are talking about when it comes to projects like this. They don't understand the costs involved and they don't understand that even though it "sounds good," very few people will actually ride it and even less will do so at a price that can pay for the operation and construction.

The vast majority of Florida residents travelling between Miami and Orlando want/need a car on both ends. Who is going to drive to a station in Miami (which will take at least a half hour unless you are really close), be there early enough to make the train (adding at least 15 more minutes) and then go rent a car at the destination (another 15 minutes plus cost) to replace a less than 4 hour drive? You'd MAYBE save an hour. How is that worth billions in taxpayer funds?

They are having enough trouble getting HST built in California because even people and politicians that are much more inclined to support such a project can see that the math doesn't work.

CDavid

Voters don't know what they are talking about when it comes to projects like this.

We should all be thankful, then, that we have elected politicians who are so much smarter than we are and can protect us from ourselves. They know whats actually best for us no matter what we think about it, and are willing (with a little input from special interest groups, who are also looking out for "our" best interests) to break every campaign promise and go completely against the will of the people to give us what they know is best for us, even when it angers the voters or when it costs them the next election. It is hard to believe our elected officials are held in such low regard by the general population who just can't appreciate what these political leaders have done for us.

If it wasn't killed, we probably wouldn't have Miami to Orlando in 2 hours. The first leg was going to be Orlando to Tampa. Once that leg was up and losing unbelievable amounts of money, they wouldn't have built the rest anyway. Voters don't know what they are talking about when it comes to projects like this. They don't understand the costs involved and they don't understand that even though it "sounds good," very few people will actually ride it and even less will do so at a price that can pay for the operation and construction.

The vast majority of Florida residents travelling between Miami and Orlando want/need a car on both ends. Who is going to drive to a station in Miami (which will take at least a half hour unless you are really close), be there early enough to make the train (adding at least 15 more minutes) and then go rent a car at the destination (another 15 minutes plus cost) to replace a less than 4 hour drive? You'd MAYBE save an hour. How is that worth billions in taxpayer funds?

They are having enough trouble getting HST built in California because even people and politicians that are much more inclined to support such a project can see that the math doesn't work.

Please don't confuse a poorly planned and mistaken Orlando to Tampa high-speed rail proposal as an indictment against all passenger rail in Florida. On the contrary, the state desperately needs more passenger train service of all types - high-speed, light-rail, commuter, and intercity trains. Nor is the objective of passenger rail to operate at a profit; It is a transportation service and not a for-profit business venture.

There absolutely is a place for expanded passenger train service between Orlando and Miami. There are far better and more cost effective ways (not to mention a more direct route where tracks already exist) to go about it than All Aboard Florida however even assuming, again, that it actually ever gets built.

Progress.City

Original Poster
This is by far my favorite phrase in this thread. I literally laughed out loud. In other news, I have a definite remote chance of winning the Powerball 16 times and opening my own theme park in Florida. Look out Disney! I'm comin' for ya!
Thank God someone has a sense of humor here! A lot of thought went into putting that sentence together... Lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom