News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

jrhwdw

DCharacterNews said it would be a good place for Character shows That's what the parks did before DCA came.

Any idea on a target date for this and the skyliner?

rct247

I initially though this was Town Square Theater like many did, but when you look at the concept art closely and compare it to the front of Town Square Theater, it just doesn't fit. I like that it is a new building and in the bypass. The bypass should hopefully start to develop into an actually street overtime. Decades from now, I see proper facades on both sides of the buildings. I just hope the new theater has restrooms included inside. As said previously, it will help eat at least a couple thousand people per show from the park which can make a big impact.

This still also leaves for future Tomorrowland expansions.

FigmentFan3

Two quick hits:
1) This really surprised me, but I totally dig it.
2) Thanks to all the map gurus, for adding to my hunch that it would fit quite nicely in the parking lot off of the bypass. :)

fireworkz

Like others have said, makes sense to have this on the bypass. If it's used similar to Hyperion theatre at DCA then it will only have a few shows a day (think Lion King @ AK). Also the site has room for the theatre, but lacks room for the huge queue area Hyperion offers between it and the Guardians tower. Guess they will open up the bypass only when they are going to queue up a show.

Cosmic Commando

That's what MK desperately needs.

It should do better than 10k most days.
Will it be that big, or will they run a ton of shows? DCA's Hyperion holds right around 2,000 and they're running three shows today (Saturday) on a weekend in the summer. I figured this new theater would be around the same size, and run 4-5 shows per day.

Jeremy P

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a show like Mickey and the Magical Map or Mickey and the Magician in DLP. They're both amazing shows and you aren't stuck with just one property. Frozen is a great show but I think a show along the lines of the previous two would be the better choice.

Biff215

Like others have said, makes sense to have this on the bypass. If it's used similar to Hyperion theatre at DCA then it will only have a few shows a day (think Lion King @ AK). Also the site has room for the theatre, but lacks room for the huge queue area Hyperion offers between it and the Guardians tower. Guess they will open up the bypass only when they are going to queue up a show.
Lion King actually had 9 shows today. Obviously they can't do that many as the show will likely be longer, but it should be more than DCA.

Very excited about this announcement, much needed and should provide some good entertainment that's not out in 100 degree direct sunlight.

Gatorboy

I initially though this was Town Square Theater like many did, but when you look at the concept art closely and compare it to the front of Town Square Theater, it just doesn't fit. I like that it is a new building and in the bypass. The bypass should hopefully start to develop into an actually street overtime. Decades from now, I see proper facades on both sides of the buildings. I just hope the new theater has restrooms included inside. As said previously, it will help eat at least a couple thousand people per show from the park which can make a big impact.

This still also leaves for future Tomorrowland expansions.
It would be easy to add small narrow shops on backside of Main Street shops like they did in DS (new pathway created between Portobello & Raglin) to complete the theming.

YodaMan

What are the chances this connects to Tomorrowland in any way? I could see the bypass kept open permanently once the theater begins operation, but is there a chance there's another walkway created that goes from the theater to that space in Tomorrowland between Buzz and CoP? It could definitely help with congestion and I support any pathways that allow you to navigate the park without having to go through the Hub.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom