Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Jon81uk

We just ate at Rainforest Cafe for the first time at DAK on our most recent trip last month. The waiter told me that it is the largest Rainforest location in North America. I don't doubt that the capacity is there, but I prefer a higher number of quality choices, and I don't necessarily consider RC a quality selection. It was ok, but it isn't like we are waiting to book another meal there. I love Tusker House and Yak and Yeti, and if AKL and Kadani were closer like the monorail resorts are to the MK, then adding in Boma, Jiko and Sanaa would definitely help round out the selection as those restaurants are excellent. However, because of the distance separating the resorts and the park, I think that DAK itself needs more table service choices. I think that there should be 4 to 5 TS choices in DAK, aside from the RC. I am happy with a lot of the QS choices throughout the park, and maybe with Avatar another will be added (that is indoors and air conditioned).

Magic Kingdom only has six table service (seven once Skippers Cantina opens) and there is more of a draw to stay in MK late with parade and fireworks so I'm not sure DAK needs more than five and it currently has four including RC. Another option would could be to try converting something like restaurnosaurus to a QS lunch / TS dinner like BOG but that could be awkward to do.

DisneyDebRob

We just ate at Rainforest Cafe for the first time at DAK on our most recent trip last month. The waiter told me that it is the largest Rainforest location in North America. I don't doubt that the capacity is there, but I prefer a higher number of quality choices, and I don't necessarily consider RC a quality selection. It was ok, but it isn't like we are waiting to book another meal there. I love Tusker House and Yak and Yeti, and if AKL and Kadani were closer like the monorail resorts are to the MK, then adding in Boma, Jiko and Sanaa would definitely help round out the selection as those restaurants are excellent. However, because of the distance separating the resorts and the park, I think that DAK itself needs more table service choices. I think that there should be 4 to 5 TS choices in DAK, aside from the RC. I am happy with a lot of the QS choices throughout the park, and maybe with Avatar another will be added (that is indoors and air conditioned).

My long range hope is that the combination of the Avatar expansion, night safaris and RoL, draws so many more people into this park that an additional 2 rides are added that will force more eating and shopping to appear in the park. Then there is that whole safari train that should run from the AKL to DAK...
It's not even 5 minutes by bus to go to AKL. In my opinion, the best restaurants out of all the resorts. We eat there almost everytime we go to AK then hop right back on the bus to go back. Well worth the extra 10-15 minutes to get quality food.

Bairstow

It's not even 5 minutes by bus to go to AKL. In my opinion, the best restaurants out of all the resorts. We eat there almost everytime we go to AK then hop right back on the bus to go back. Well worth the extra 10-15 minutes to get quality food.

I think you're looking at more like 45 minutes each way when you factor in the walk back through Genesis Gardens to the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive, and getting to the resort.
Also, aren't the only places open for lunch The Mara and Sanaa?

That said, we've often ended our day at Animal Kingdom by going to AKL for dinner.

DisneyDebRob

I think you're looking at more like 45 minutes each way when you factor in the walk back through Genesis Gardens to the bus stop, waiting for the bus to arrive, and getting to the resort.
Also, aren't the only places open for lunch The Mara and Sanaa?

That said, we've often ended our day at Animal Kingdom by going to AKL for dinner.
You are correct that they are the 2 open for lunch. We go to Sanaa everytime. Spend way to much time there. Can't stay away from that food! It's never taken us 45 minutes though.

matt9112

Magic Kingdom only has six table service (seven once Skippers Cantina opens) and there is more of a draw to stay in MK late with parade and fireworks so I'm not sure DAK needs more than five and it currently has four including RC. Another option would could be to try converting something like restaurnosaurus to a QS lunch / TS dinner like BOG but that could be awkward to do.

how do you table serve chicken fingers?

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, Aug 6. For many months now, a construction wall has blocked the pathway to the old Camp Minnie Mickey behind Pizzafari. This will be the future pathway to the new Avatarland. Here are a couple of "over the wall" photos. In the first photo, the original pathway is still there, with the view to Avatarland blocked by a line of trees.

IMG_5928.JPG

Viewed to the right, you can see construction for the expansion of Pizzafari, to include table service dining. The existing Pizzafari building is just to the right in this photo. Based on this phase of construction, I would guess opening for the expansion of Pizzafari would be closer to 2016. The tree line is along the river moat surrounding Discovery Island.

IMG_5929.JPG

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Tuesday, Aug 25. As announced, Pizzafari is now closed. A construction fabric wall surrounds the entrance and most of the building.

IMG_6030.JPG

More significant is the original pathway to Camp Minnie Mickey (the future Pandora) is now completely blocked by this wall. The below photo shows the view from the center of Discovery Island towards Pizzafari (in the right background). The pathway to the future Pandora is behind this wall. You might recall there was a Disney Vacation Club kiosk on the left side of this pathway, on the left side of the photo.

IMG_6029.JPG

ABQ

Well, at least they're pretty well themed walls. That's something in the park of more walls than any.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
'Italian' (or 'Italian-ish') seems to be a good guess. It's popular, and Pizzafari is next door. (Though I suspect that even the 'Olive Garden' crowd expects quality better than the 'Elios style' pizza served next door).

But being in TLfkaSV and not Africa or Asia, it can kind of be anything. Even 'comfort food'...

MRE's perhaps....

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
No reason for them to move fast on this. The park won't have consistent late operating hours until next year so it makes sense to wait until RoL and Night Safaris debut to open this restaurant.
Definitely a good point but maybe the can work faster on other things. Like Avatar.

Fox&Hound

My long range hope is that the combination of the Avatar expansion, night safaris and RoL, draws so many more people into this park that an additional 2 rides are added that will force more eating and shopping to appear in the park. Then there is that whole safari train that should run from the AKL to DAK...

I completely agree! Dining and shopping have always been sparse at AK. I wonder if there is a way to connect AKL and AK by train or transportation (besides bus). I love the look of AKL and would consider staying there but it's so far removed from everything and having to take a bus everywhere (including AK) is a real deal breaker. When you can walk from Bay Lake Tower to MK or catch a monorail to Epcot, the choice is made for me, even as a DVC member who would love to check out other places.

dannyboyindc

I completely agree! Dining and shopping have always been sparse at AK. I wonder if there is a way to connect AKL and AK by train or transportation (besides bus). I love the look of AKL and would consider staying there but it's so far removed from everything and having to take a bus everywhere (including AK) is a real deal breaker. When you can walk from Bay Lake Tower to MK or catch a monorail to Epcot, the choice is made for me, even as a DVC member who would love to check out other places.

We own at AKL and I gotta tell ya, there is NOTHING like having a Savannah view to wake up to each morning. It's like an entirely different world seeing the giraffes and zebras grazing. It's also "cheap" on points to stay there and the restaurants are the BEST. With all that said, we're staying at BLT this year too :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom