Tiffins - A new table service restaurant coming to Discovery Island at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Rob562

Begin pure speculation mode:

AK is the only park without a Signature restaurant location. Unless they plan on expanding the physical building, taking over the back part of Pizzafari wouldn't give them an overly large footprint to work with for a high-volume Table Service location. But it sounds about right for a smaller, intimate Signature location...

-Rob

TP2000

I wasn't around here for DCA....was Disney pretty vocal in regards to construction for that?

In addition to the big Bob Iger media blitz announcement in October, 2007, there was ongoing and continual information released publicly about upcoming construction phases at DCA.

They had a gorgeously maintained and graciously operated Preview Center inside DCA itself called the Blue Sky Cellar, and it was changed out with all-new different exhibits a half dozen times over a four year period from 2008 to 2012. It featured WDI artwork and sketches, big scale models under glass, and custom videos played in a small HD theater that were changed for each different exhibit as the DCA project moved along. And staffed by knowledgeable hostesses who talked up all the exhibits with visitors. With a wine bar and tasting terrace just outside! :cool:
10_08_DCA_04925-1.jpg

Plus, they had several big mega-exhibits dedicated to the DCA Extreme Makeover at two different D23 Expos literally across the street from the DCA construction at the Anaheim Convention Center, in 2009 and 2011.
646555374_vq6qU-X3.jpg

There were also continual updates on DCA construction and news on the Disney Parks Blog from '09 to '12. And TDA senior executives gave several big interviews to the LA Times about the project throughout construction.

The way they are handling both the (vaguely) announced DAK work, and the un-announced DHS work is very, very different from how Disney handled the 1.2 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of DCA circa 2008-2012.

I'm not sure if that's just an Orlando vs. Anaheim thing, as there are plenty of examples of how differently the two properties operate and how they interact with their guests. Or if it's just a massive change in tactic from Burbank itself. Either way, it's a big change from how they handled the DCA remake.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

I also think that they announced Avatar way too early, yes it was the rights acquisition that was the first announcement but they also did a "groundbreaking" thing, yet it still feels like 10 years between first announcement and opening. By holding off unti la few months before the opening I think they will set expectations better for these smaller developments.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Although the QS menu wasn't the greatest, I always enjoyed Pizzafari for lunch. The separate dining rooms were so attractively themed with the animal designs on the walls, and the colorful tables and chairs. Each room was unique and pleasant.

If the plan is to share the space with a new TS venue, I really hope they expand the structure sufficiently perhaps out the back (or, could they add a 2nd floor?), so that they maintain the charm of the design and open space, for both QS and TS guests to enjoy.

RSoxNo1

Although the QS menu wasn't the greatest, I always enjoyed Pizzafari for lunch. The separate dining rooms were so attractively themed with the animal designs on the walls, and the colorful tables and chairs. Each room was unique and pleasant.

If the plan is to share the space with a new TS venue, I really hope they expand the structure sufficiently perhaps out the back (or, could they add a 2nd floor?), so that they maintain the charm of the design and open space, for both QS and TS guests to enjoy.
The restaurant itself is cool inside, the food quality is among the worst on WDW.

Next Big Thing

The way they are handling both the (vaguely) announced DAK work, and the un-announced DHS work is very, very different from how Disney handled the 1.2 Billion Dollar Extreme Makeover of DCA circa 2008-2012.
I think you need to give them some time on DHS. When they actually get around to announcing it, i'm sure they'll make a big deal about it. And in the years up to it's opening, just like they did with New Fantasyland.

Kman101

I agree about DHS. I'd rather they wait until things start moving there then know about plans two or three years before honestly. They were announcing things way too early. We shouldn't really know about construction plans two years before they even start doing anything, IMO.

Very interested in seeing how they combine the two. I'd love to see Pizzafari get a menu makeover in the process and better food. I love the theming though and hope to see all of that stay. Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari and Restarauntosarus are all pretty well done IMO.

twebber55

I agree about DHS. I'd rather they wait until things start moving there then know about plans two or three years before honestly. They were announcing things way too early. We shouldn't really know about construction plans two years before they even start doing anything, IMO.

Very interested in seeing how they combine the two. I'd love to see Pizzafari get a menu makeover in the process and better food. I love the theming though and hope to see all of that stay. Flame Tree BBQ, Pizzafari and Restarauntosarus are all pretty well done IMO.
not me...i wish DHS and the DAK project would have their own blue sky cellar where we could see art work and models etc...

doctornick

not me...i wish DHS and the DAK project would have their own blue sky cellar where we could see art work and models etc...

I think they should as well, but in terms of DHS, I do think it is too early to announce stuff, especially if some things are still in flux. There's nothing wrong with waiting until a project is further along before having some grand reveal.

That said, it would be nice to open up a specific preview section somewhere on property (off hand, maybe that would be a good use of the former Jack Sparrow space in DHS or the Odyssey space in Epcot) which could have details of Disney Springs and Pandora/Rivers of Light right now. And can add or change to DHS offerings once they are official.

Kman101

Well, yeah, I guess I can agree on that. I mean, they should be building anticipation but it's like New Fantasyland and Avatar ... don't announce so early and have it be five to seven years before it's actually open. It's like by the time things open people are like "FINALLY!". So I'm torn on the DHS make-over. I want to know, I want concept art and models like DCA got.

I think certain things could be pushed the right way. The problem is really how long it takes to build things. If Disney picked up the pace a bit, it wouldn't be a big issue.

FerretAfros

They had a gorgeously maintained and graciously operated Preview Center inside DCA itself called the Blue Sky Cellar, and it was changed out with all-new different exhibits a half dozen times over a four year period from 2008 to 2012. It featured WDI artwork and sketches, big scale models under glass, and custom videos played in a small HD theater that were changed for each different exhibit as the DCA project moved along. And staffed by knowledgeable hostesses who talked up all the exhibits with visitors. With a wine bar and tasting terrace just outside! :cool:
They also let you bring your beverages inside, which was great fun for the unofficial-Blue Sky Cellar Drinking Game. While watching the video of upcoming changes, take a sip every time they use a meaningless adjective like "super", "neat", or "magical". And when then-DCA President Mary Niven describes the whole project as "really really great and wonderful", you finish your drink! ;)

Of course this game had to be updated for each video update, but the basic premise of drinks for useless adjectives remained. My favorite was for the Carsland video, when you had to finish your drink when you saw a grown man cry while describing how great everything would be :facepalm:

Sage of Time

I wasn't around here for DCA....was Disney pretty vocal in regards to construction for that?

As other members have answered: YES.

I wasn't even present in DCA until the entire project was done, but Disney constantly updated YouTube and their websites with videos and promos for what was coming. I would love to see that for DAK.

Next Big Thing

Am I the only that just sort of wishes that this TS restaurant would just completely takeover Pizzafari? lol. It's average theme park food at it's best and Flame Tree/Restaurantosaurus (sp?) are both fairly close by. I think they could stand to lose Pizzafari if it was for the addition of a high quality/signature Table Service restaurant.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom