1. Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.
    Dismiss Notice

New Star Wars half at WDW announced

Discussion in 'Running at WDW' started by DocAlan02, Aug 25, 2015.

1. DocAlan02

DocAlan02 Member

2. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member

Because running 13.1 miles in late April Florida heat will end well..... Only The Dark Side would come up with such a thing.

[​IMG]
    Dark Side rundisney.jpg

From The Disney Parks Blargh:

The Force has awakened at Walt Disney World Resort through runDisney’s newest addition to its portfolio – Star Wars Half Marathon – The Dark Side.

This intergalactic quest through Walt Disney World theme parks blasts off April 14-17, 2016 and channels the Dark Side of the Force. The events will include a 5K, 10K, kids races and half marathon plus a special challenge for completing the 10K and half marathon called the Star Wars Dark Side Challenge!

Runners who join the Galactic Empire will enjoy a true Star Wars experience, including Dark side-inspired medals and merchandise throughout the weekend.

After the thrilling inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend at Disneyland Resort this past January, runners andStar Wars fans alike have been vocal about their desire for a similar themed race at Walt Disney World Resort.

To differentiate the two races, Disneyland Resort will embrace the Light Side of the Force with a 5K, 10K, kids races and half marathon as well as continuing its Star Wars Rebel Challenge upon completion of the 10K and half marathon.

Whether you are a runDisney veteran or Star Wars enthusiast, these races will be a journey like no other. By participating in both Star Wars Half Marathon events, runners will earn the inaugural Kessel Run Challenge medal, which Star Wars fans know is the ultimate test of skill.

As runDisney broadens its resume, it continues to bring runners uniquely inspired races while promoting a healthy and active lifestyle!

Registration for the East Coast event opens September 22, 2015 at noon ET. May the courses be with you!

Are you excited for this event? Let us know on Twitter using the hashtag #StarWarsHalf!

George, DisneyRoy, simba2 and 2 others like this.
  3. Mad Stitch

Mad Stitch Premium Member

I'm there. Between this and Paris registration my bank account is about to take a big hit.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. wdwmagic

wdwmagic Administrator Moderator

5. FerretAfros

FerretAfros Well-Known Member

Would have been nice to know about this a few weeks ago before the DL Star Wars races filled up. Then again, it's probably better for my bank account if I skip both of them for a year...

Furiated likes this.
  6. Texas84

Texas84 DVC Fan Boy Premium Member

I think there are travel packages still available. Thinking about an unplanned Anaheim trip now.

Edit: I just registered for January through one of the official providers. I'm an idiot. :facepalm:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  7. meyeet

meyeet Well-Known Member

This will probably line up with Season of the Force at DHS.

8. PhotoDave219

PhotoDave219 Well-Known Member

Gonna be hot and humid for this race.

simba2 likes this.
  9. JERiv

JERiv Member

... well... there goes my money... :greedy: :cry:

10. Dead2009

Dead2009 Well-Known Member

Yeah i can see people falling out due to the heat on this one.

11. surfsupdon

surfsupdon Well-Known Member

I'd have booked this race, if I didn't already book the Princess. Either way, it's exciting - this will be my first Princess.

12. skimbob

skimbob Well-Known Member

Wow I wish they would have announced this before I had already signed up for the 1/2 at WDW in January and the Star Wars 1/2 the next weekend at DL.This will be my 5th Coast To Coast medal and it would have been cool to get it following the Dark Side race instead of after the DL Star Wars 1/2.

MickeyMomV likes this.
  13. DisneyRoy

DisneyRoy Well-Known Member

See I thought the Season of the Force was going to be in May and take the place of Star Wars Weekends. Why would they move such a successful event out of the period where it has been successful for years?

14. imagination30

imagination30 Well-Known Member

let the " ive never ran a day my life " but oh its star wars so ill do the challange.. frenzy begin .. in 3. 2. 1. go!!

mickeyfanachey_1999 likes this.
  15. Mad Stitch

That's ok, whatever it takes to get people off the couch. I'll be in the corals ahead of them.

BrianV, Suwithoutane and LindsayLoves like this.
  16. BackOTheLine

BackOTheLine Well-Known Member

Anyone see anything about passholder early registration date? I followed the links but it keeps spitting me out in the Tinkerbell half info page...

17. Mad Stitch

The RunDisney page says a limited number of slots will open one week prior to open registration.

BackOTheLine likes this.
  18. BackOTheLine

BackOTheLine Well-Known Member

Missed that - thanks!

19. Mad Stitch

So the course includes Epcot, AK, Studios, and ends at WWoS. Is it going to be the W&D course in reverse? I guess ending at WWoS eliminates any chance for an after party.

20. Kermit262

Kermit262 Active Member

I was driving to work this morning (wearing my Star Wars hat) when my wife saw the announcement on her phone. So excited for this! We already have Marathon Weekend booked and were planning to do the Wine and Dine, but this throws a wrench into the works.