New Species at Kilimanjaro Safaris

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Animal Programs has begun the introduction of a new species onto the Kilimanjaro Safaris savannah: Addax. Addax are a type of desert-dwelling antelope that are white, brown and grey in color and have some very impressive spiraling horns. They are critically endangered in the wild, with less than 500 remaining in their natural habitat (according to Wikipedia, about 860 exist in captivity). As an adaptation to their desert habitat, they can go extremely long periods without drinking water, deriving moisture almost exclusively from the vegetation they eat. In conclusion, they are very, very cool looking animals, and a really great addition to the savannah.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Awesome!

I wonder what setting they will be in? The savannah?
East Savannah--the one with cheetahs, lions, ostriches and white rhinos.

And, I suppose I should have clarified--they are currently on show (of course never guaranteed to be seen, etc.).

RSoxNo1

Animal Programs has begun the introduction of a new species onto the Kilimanjaro Safaris savannah: Addax. Addax are a type of desert-dwelling antelope that are white, brown and grey in color and have some very impressive spiraling horns. They are critically endangered in the wild, with less than 500 remaining in their natural habitat (according to Wikipedia, about 860 exist in captivity). As an adaptation to their desert habitat, they can go extremely long periods without drinking water, deriving moisture almost exclusively from the vegetation they eat. In conclusion, they are very, very cool looking animals, and a really great addition to the savannah.

That's awesome. I'd imagine they'd probably be hanging around with the Scimitar Horned Oryx that's also in that area. I'm looking through some photos from the San Diego Zoo to see if I have any shots of the Addax.

Edit: Looks like I didn't get any shots of them on previous vacations, but here's what they look like:
addax.jpg

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
From the title of the thread, I thought Disney had invented some new species.

Disney now has Lorax

KJ1081

Addax are a wonderful species of antelope! I work at our local zoo, and we had one living in our hospital for over a year (she was a premie and had too many issues to go out with the herd) and she's a pleasure to work with! These antelope have sense- they're not dangerous, brainless, maniacs like Roan Antelope or Gemsbok, and they're quite active socialize well with many other species, so I think they'll make a great addition to the savannah! In case anyone's interested, here's an interesting tidbit on Addax (this goes for Roan as well)- They're extremely well adapted to their native environment- they can actually live their entire lives without drinking water as they get all they need from the vegetation they eat, and they can lower their metabolic rate and body temperature to the point of having a waking hibernation to prevent heat stroke- fantastic mechanisms for living in a hot, dry climate! They're truly fascinating animals. Great addition Disney!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom